The Body Shop Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash

3.4

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water (Solvent/Diluent), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Polysorbate 20 (Emulsifier), Cocamide DEA (Surfactant), PEG-150 Distearate (Surfactant), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (Surfactant), Sodium Cocoamphoacetate (Surfactant), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Sodium Chloride (Viscosity Modifier), Fragrance (Fragrance), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylene Glycol (Humectant), Menthol (Fragrance/Cooling Agent), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwrack) Extract (Skin Conditioning Agent), Butylparaben (Preservative), Ethylparaben (Preservative), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Butylphenyl Methylpropional (Fragrance Ingredient), Isobutylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Carrageenan (Chondrus Crispus) Extract (Natural Additive), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant).

I loved the smell of this right off the bat. The scent is so fresh and delightful. The sales associate recommended this for me because I have combo skin and needed to control my acne. The first week or so it did wonders for my skin. It reduced my acne and made my skin so soft. But after that week.... breakout city. I don't know what happened but suddenly my face was one big zit.
I would definitely never repurchase this again. The only up side? The smell is fantastic! They should make this smell into a body butter.

on 3/28/2011 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I went into the body shop to get a rec for a product for clearing minor acne on combo skin. The SA rec'd this for me in a set of sample sizes. I haven't identified exactly which ingredient does it, but this breaks me out like mad. I'm thinking it's the algin and algae extracts in it.
For the first couple of days using it, it does do wonders for my skin. But after 2-3 days... I'm breakout/blemish city.
Sad, I wanted to love this. Would not repurchase.

on 2/23/2011 4:17:00 PM

I used this product for about six months and it kept me blemish free the whole time. My skin felt a little softer after using it but not anything drastic. The smell is really refreshing. The only thing that I didn't like about this cleanser is it didn't seem to wash off my makeup very well. I would buy this again if my skin started getting blemishes because it does a great job at preventing pimples :)

on 12/15/2010 9:20:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I have a strange feeling for this cleanser. Like a love hate thing. This is not the most comfortable cleanser. It stings and numbs parts of my face when I apply it, my lips especially gets affected by the numbness every time. It does not really remove everything either, I wud say 95% of mu. I still have to followup with a rinse off foam cleanser in order to get all residue off my face. So in that sense, I do not like this. HOWEVER, before I started using this, I had a real bad case of acne boom on my jawline, small to big ones, all types, and it was UGLY. I did notice, after I started to use this cleanser, the acne eruptions subsided, and the small ones disappeared. The big ones are slowly going too. So seriously, I think the cleanser has some credit to it. Hence the love. I will probably rebuy this, since it is not that expensive and it does help my complexion. Just wish it did not sting and numb so much.

on 12/4/2010 9:16:00 PM

This product does NOT cleanse. After using it, I wipe my face with a face cloth and I can see my make up had transfered onto it - make up that should have been washed away by the cleanser. I use a toner and the cotton ball is covered with foundation (and not just traces of it). This thing does not remove natural oils and dirt from your face either - maybe that's why its non-drying to the skin - unfortunately that also means clogged pores for everyone who uses it. Save your money and try Burt's Radiance cleanser or Derma e's papaya and/or glycolic cleanser, which I've read great reviews on/removes everyday dirt and makeup, are around the same price, and natural.

on 11/26/2010 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I really wanted to like this product line. I have super oily skin and while it did cut some of the oil but it also broke my face out pretty badly. Thinking because I was at the 3rd month of my Clarisonic and that was breaking me out I changed the brush. All was well for about a week and then right back the breakouts.

on 10/27/2010 7:14:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I liked this product, it was really good for my combination skin. I felt that it stung a little when I put it on at first, but when I started using less of it, it became one of my new favourite products! I found it took a while to make sure all of it was completely removed, but then again, I have found this on many different products. The smell wasn't too strong, which I liked, and as it is lasting me a while, I feel that it was very good value for money. Will definitely buy it again.

I have oily skin, but a lot of cleansers tend to over-dry my skin and leave me with a peeling mess around my nose/cheeks. After using this product my complexion is a lot more matte, though it's certainly no miracle cure for those of us with oily skin. I do notice that after a long day at work, under hot/bright lights, that an oil blotting cloth would do me some good. I've been using it in conjunction with the nutriganics night cream and my skin looks better than it ever has.

on 8/5/2010 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This cleanser was purchased at a buy 2 get 1 free event at the Body Shop
I was originally going to get the tea tree one but the sales lady kept persuading me that it was too strong
Soooo I got this cleanser, toner, and ionic clay mask
I thought this was going to control the oil and shine from my t-zone because it was for oily/combo skin, exactly the skin type I have
But it didn't really do anything, it smells good
It didn't control my shine or oil for more than 30 mins but I think if I used the complete set at the same time, it would work
But for the cleanser itself, it doesn't really feel deep-action cleaning but more gentle
It leaves my skin feeling soft, not overly dry, and pretty normal
I wouldn't reccommmend this to remove makeup because I don't see it doing much but for an everyday gentle cleanser you can consider this one.
btw: smells really good, not seaweed-y at all! :)

on 7/18/2010 12:15:00 PM

I wanted to love this but it has far too much fragrance. I felt like I was putting perfume all over my face! Back to the aloe cleanser for me...