October 21, 2014 | 1362 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2011 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Monique372

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cannot say how much I love this product. I don't go a day without it. So light and clean - this product has kept me years younger than my age!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2011 4:35:00 AM More reviews by kus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was converted to Anthelios Xl SPF 50 4yrs ago. At that time this was the only sunscreen with such a high spf. I live in the tropics, so not only do i have to worry about UVB but also about UVA and this product caters well for both.
To be honest at the time it was really impossible to have a sunblock that felt so light, and just a little white cast. Most beach sun blocks makes you look like a ghost and would make me break out. Not this one ! never broke out with it but you do have to wear powder on it.

I wear Anthelios Xl SPF 50 every day religiously even if my BE has spf in it. Bottom line it protects and thats the most important thing but is not so much water resistant.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by Betty24

HG sunscreen for me :)

Lightweight, runny texture and does not cause breakouts. It does leave a faint, whitish cast but I don't think this a bad trade-off since it protects me against sunburns and will protect my skin in the long-term. I've also used this while swimming and I also found it to be waterproof.

I would recommend applying a water-based serum before applying this is you have dry or combination skin. If you apply this sunscreen too thickly or use a heavy moisturizer underneath, it can ball up a bit.

If you are in the United States, ordering this can be more expensive than getting the US version of La Roche Posay sunscreens. However, I feel that Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme is superior to the American version in terms of sun protection.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2010 2:58:00 PM More reviews by CamillaDK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Even though I love the high SPF/UVB-protection this product offers along with the fact that it doesn't contain perfume, this leaves a way too noticeable white-cast on my skin - and I'm very fair! I'm not a fan of wearing foundation or powder during the summer but needed too in order to camouflage my look as Casper the friendly ghost. I found it impossible to apply my mineral foundation smoothly over this. On the positive side, it didn't break me out and the shiny sheen it left on my face was tolerable - but it seem to irritate my sensitive skin a little. I won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 8:08:00 AM More reviews by BabiesStoleMyDingo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is probably the best sunscreen there is. The active ingredients are Tinosorb, a UVA and UVB absorber, avobenzone, a UVB absorber, titanium dioxide, a mineral sunscreen protecting from both, UVA and UVB, Mexoryl XL, absorbs both UVA and UVB and Mexoryl SX, a UVA filter.

This sunscreen is highly photostable because it contains octocrylene to stabilize the avobenzone. Since the avobenzone is stabilized, it is ok to use a foundation over it that has octinoxate in it (as nearly all liquid foundations do). Even if there is *some* destabilization, which might still occur somewhat despite the octocrylene, the titanium dioxide and Tinosorb and most of all the two Mexoryls, make sure that you still have excellent protection. So absolutely NO need to not apply that favorite foundation of yours. The Mexoryls are considered the top state of the art sunscreens right now. The titanium dioxide particles are coated to prevent any possible carcinogenic effect. You just cannot get more protection from a product. The only thing more helpful than this sunscreen is living in a cave.
As for the texture... this is incredible. It feels exactly like a moisturizer, apart from the white cast (which really cannot be avoided at that SPF level, let's be realistic). The white cast is a major pain in the butt, but I suppose something's gotta give. And if you want SPF50 and a PPD of 30 you need to make compromises. Just keep in mind that the white cast makes wearing some kind of MU absolutely necessary unless you don't mind the ghostly look. It also means that you need to apply it in front of a mirror to make sure it is distributed evenly - otherwise your face has white splotches. I love how it is rather liquidy because it is so easy to apply. It is non-condemogenic despite the titanium dioxide and contains calming thermal water. It also has a vitamin E component to work as an anti-oxidant, supporting this product's anti-aging properties. It is not drying but neither is it moisturizing, so I use a serum under it (without any problems). I can only recommend this sunscreen. Oh and by the way: the bottle design is kind of neat. Really elegant and nice to keep around. For reference, I am NC20 with oily but dehydrated sensitive skin.

EDITED: I want to add some tips on how to apply this best. As I have said, you are well-advised to use a serum underneath since it is not at all moisturizing. I am not a fan of applying moisturizer OVER a waterproof sunscreen (Hello, Paula Begoun, sorry, we disagree) and I don't trust my sunscreen anymore if I apply a very emollient moisturizer underneath, so serum it is. Please make sure that you use a serum that is absorbed really well. Otherwise, sunscreens can begin to ball up on your skin rather quickly. After letting the serum sink in for a couple of minutes, I apply this product as follows: I pour a litte bit of it, think lentil sized on my fingers and apply it to one are of my face (for example my nose), rubbing it in with circular movements. I repeat this until my face and neck are covered. Unlike any other sunscreen I know, this stuff is absorbed by your skin REALLY well AND quickly. so working from facial area to area is your best choice. continued >>

42 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Pecheresse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

So far, this is the best sunscreen I have come across! It protects your skin like nothing else on the market. I really like that it's so runny and liquidly. To me, it makes blending that much easier. It does leave a bit of a white-cast. The funny thing is it doesn't bother me at all right now because my foundation is just a tad too dark for my skin tone and when I wear this sunscreen underneath it, the result is just perfect :)

I have combination skin and it never broke me out. However, 3 weeks is the longest I have used it continuously so I don't know the effect it would have on my skin if I were to wear it for longer periods of time (thinking of people who are lucky enough to live somewhere where it's sunny more than 3 days a year ;))

I find that it has a tendency to ball up a bit when you rub it in but you can avoid that by patting it in instead. I would also recommend waiting a couple of minutes before applying your foundation.

So bottom line, no, it's not perfect. But when it comes to what really matters i.e. protecting your skin against UVA and UVB, it does the trick!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Reira

I cant believe how under-rated this is. This is an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME sunscreen, although it's pricey. I'm acne prone, with oily combi skin. Plus, i wear makeup. It's been really difficult to find a sunscreen which wouldn't cake my makeup (i use liquid foundation). Most of the times, other sunscreens just sit on top and refuse to blend properly.

This one is amazing. It's really fluid and blends in so well for a flawless makeup. If you experience patches, it could be your moisturiser (that's what happened when I used Origin's MAD Make A Difference). When i switched moisturiser, it works like a wonder. Plus, it's easily removed with a cleansing oil too.

Other highly-raved sunscreens that I've tried:
Fancl's Sunguard
Sofina's Perfect UV
Mentholatum's Sunplay
Shiseido's Sun Protection
Loreal, Neutrogena, Clarins, Clinique, Lancome ..

As you can see, I'm a fan of sunscreens, especially those which are highly raved on MUA.

My conclusion: This is definitely superior than the rest. You gotta try it. The superb protection against UVA and UVB is truly worth every penny.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Affascinante

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes Yes Yes.

Bought this stuff in Europe and fell in LOVE!

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but a little goes a LONG way. I spent a week during the summer without a hat ( left it on the subway) walking the streets of Madrid and Lisbon wearing Anthelios XL (Mexoryl SX+XL) and not ONE inch of my face or neck was sunburned. Not even the slightest of pink. Nothing. Which surprised me because of heat and sweating along the way.

Doesn't compare to Neutrogena's Fluid SPF at ALL. Not even close.

Loved it so much, I purchased 5 more to bring back to home to the states. :)

A+++++++

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by guio

It´s new, and tinted, it works like a foundation. I´ve already reviewed with 5 points, but this new version is even better, as it doen´t leave any white cast. I live in Spain, and I´ve bought it only a month ago. It´s the best for daily use, as I use tretinoin by night, for me is a must. The bestĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦnot Shiseido, not Kanebo, no one as this, and the price is not as bad, 20€, it could be like 22$, or so.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by htaikwin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is my HG sunscreen, I have quite oily skin and hate greasy sunscreens. This product goes on smoothly and initially is a bit greasy but after a few seconds sinks into my skin and leaves a glow. The protection is amazing and it has a light tint to it so I don't even have to wear foundation with this product. It is completely natural as well and my skin has never looked better, since I started wearing this I have had lots of my compliments on my skin and it looks smoother and fresher. Will be repurchasing again and again.