April 21, 2014 | 1007 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 8:08:00 AM More reviews by BabiesStoleMyDingo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is probably the best sunscreen there is. The active ingredients are Tinosorb, a UVA and UVB absorber, avobenzone, a UVB absorber, titanium dioxide, a mineral sunscreen protecting from both, UVA and UVB, Mexoryl XL, absorbs both UVA and UVB and Mexoryl SX, a UVA filter.

This sunscreen is highly photostable because it contains octocrylene to stabilize the avobenzone. Since the avobenzone is stabilized, it is ok to use a foundation over it that has octinoxate in it (as nearly all liquid foundations do). Even if there is *some* destabilization, which might still occur somewhat despite the octocrylene, the titanium dioxide and Tinosorb and most of all the two Mexoryls, make sure that you still have excellent protection. So absolutely NO need to not apply that favorite foundation of yours. The Mexoryls are considered the top state of the art sunscreens right now. The titanium dioxide particles are coated to prevent any possible carcinogenic effect. You just cannot get more protection from a product. The only thing more helpful than this sunscreen is living in a cave.
As for the texture... this is incredible. It feels exactly like a moisturizer, apart from the white cast (which really cannot be avoided at that SPF level, let's be realistic). The white cast is a major pain in the butt, but I suppose something's gotta give. And if you want SPF50 and a PPD of 30 you need to make compromises. Just keep in mind that the white cast makes wearing some kind of MU absolutely necessary unless you don't mind the ghostly look. It also means that you need to apply it in front of a mirror to make sure it is distributed evenly - otherwise your face has white splotches. I love how it is rather liquidy because it is so easy to apply. It is non-condemogenic despite the titanium dioxide and contains calming thermal water. It also has a vitamin E component to work as an anti-oxidant, supporting this product's anti-aging properties. It is not drying but neither is it moisturizing, so I use a serum under it (without any problems). I can only recommend this sunscreen. Oh and by the way: the bottle design is kind of neat. Really elegant and nice to keep around. For reference, I am NC20 with oily but dehydrated sensitive skin.

EDITED: I want to add some tips on how to apply this best. As I have said, you are well-advised to use a serum underneath since it is not at all moisturizing. I am not a fan of applying moisturizer OVER a waterproof sunscreen (Hello, Paula Begoun, sorry, we disagree) and I don't trust my sunscreen anymore if I apply a very emollient moisturizer underneath, so serum it is. Please make sure that you use a serum that is absorbed really well. Otherwise, sunscreens can begin to ball up on your skin rather quickly. After letting the serum sink in for a couple of minutes, I apply this product as follows: I pour a litte bit of it, think lentil sized on my fingers and apply it to one are of my face (for example my nose), rubbing it in with circular movements. I repeat this until my face and neck are covered. Unlike any other sunscreen I know, this stuff is absorbed by your skin REALLY well AND quickly. so working from facial area to area is your best choice. continued >>

41 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Pecheresse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

So far, this is the best sunscreen I have come across! It protects your skin like nothing else on the market. I really like that it's so runny and liquidly. To me, it makes blending that much easier. It does leave a bit of a white-cast. The funny thing is it doesn't bother me at all right now because my foundation is just a tad too dark for my skin tone and when I wear this sunscreen underneath it, the result is just perfect :)

I have combination skin and it never broke me out. However, 3 weeks is the longest I have used it continuously so I don't know the effect it would have on my skin if I were to wear it for longer periods of time (thinking of people who are lucky enough to live somewhere where it's sunny more than 3 days a year ;))

I find that it has a tendency to ball up a bit when you rub it in but you can avoid that by patting it in instead. I would also recommend waiting a couple of minutes before applying your foundation.

So bottom line, no, it's not perfect. But when it comes to what really matters i.e. protecting your skin against UVA and UVB, it does the trick!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Reira

I cant believe how under-rated this is. This is an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME sunscreen, although it's pricey. I'm acne prone, with oily combi skin. Plus, i wear makeup. It's been really difficult to find a sunscreen which wouldn't cake my makeup (i use liquid foundation). Most of the times, other sunscreens just sit on top and refuse to blend properly.

This one is amazing. It's really fluid and blends in so well for a flawless makeup. If you experience patches, it could be your moisturiser (that's what happened when I used Origin's MAD Make A Difference). When i switched moisturiser, it works like a wonder. Plus, it's easily removed with a cleansing oil too.

Other highly-raved sunscreens that I've tried:
Fancl's Sunguard
Sofina's Perfect UV
Mentholatum's Sunplay
Shiseido's Sun Protection
Loreal, Neutrogena, Clarins, Clinique, Lancome ..

As you can see, I'm a fan of sunscreens, especially those which are highly raved on MUA.

My conclusion: This is definitely superior than the rest. You gotta try it. The superb protection against UVA and UVB is truly worth every penny.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by Affascinante

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes Yes Yes.

Bought this stuff in Europe and fell in LOVE!

Yes, it's a bit pricey, but a little goes a LONG way. I spent a week during the summer without a hat ( left it on the subway) walking the streets of Madrid and Lisbon wearing Anthelios XL (Mexoryl SX+XL) and not ONE inch of my face or neck was sunburned. Not even the slightest of pink. Nothing. Which surprised me because of heat and sweating along the way.

Doesn't compare to Neutrogena's Fluid SPF at ALL. Not even close.

Loved it so much, I purchased 5 more to bring back to home to the states. :)

A+++++++

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 3:16:00 PM More reviews by guio

It´s new, and tinted, it works like a foundation. I´ve already reviewed with 5 points, but this new version is even better, as it doen´t leave any white cast. I live in Spain, and I´ve bought it only a month ago. It´s the best for daily use, as I use tretinoin by night, for me is a must. The bestĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦnot Shiseido, not Kanebo, no one as this, and the price is not as bad, 20€, it could be like 22$, or so.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by htaikwin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is my HG sunscreen, I have quite oily skin and hate greasy sunscreens. This product goes on smoothly and initially is a bit greasy but after a few seconds sinks into my skin and leaves a glow. The protection is amazing and it has a light tint to it so I don't even have to wear foundation with this product. It is completely natural as well and my skin has never looked better, since I started wearing this I have had lots of my compliments on my skin and it looks smoother and fresher. Will be repurchasing again and again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/7/2010 5:12:00 AM More reviews by marisha2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

It provides great sun protection for my fair skin; however it leaves a white cast which is very noticeable and annoying. Some dry patches appeared too. I decided that the best for me is a hydrating cream with sun protection especially for the days in the city.

I will still use the sunscreen (till I finish the bottle), but only when I am at the beach, where I need high sun protection, but don't care much about the white cast.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by spoir009

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

PROS:
awesome sun protection for my super-fair skin; probably the best sun protection on the market

CONS:
White cast is quite noticeable
Greasy, have to put powder over it

Overall, I will use it only in winter while snowboarding, when no one cares about my whitish-looking skin

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2010 2:23:00 AM More reviews by brookebaird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been buying this overseas ( on work trips) and searched it out due to the UVA blocking properties. Mexoryl wasn't avaialable in the States at that time.
I keep coming back to this despite the price because it works better with my fair to medium skin that burns and then tans easily. My skin is combination/oily in summer; combination/dry in winter.
I don't love the texture which is a runny, white, light fluid. The absorbtion isn't immediate and needs to go directly on bare skin ( no serums or it will pill). I don't need to use a moisturizer with this in the morning which saves a step. However, my evening moisturizer is pretty potent to prevent any drying.
The finish is a bit shiny (which is why I seek other options that ultimately end up being less effective) and this works better for me when use a foundation rather than a tinted moisturizer.
Plus - with this on I never burn, I don't need to reapply it during sun exposure, it doesn't create breakouts or bumps, it works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by basmah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I am rating this product with 3 lippies even though I don't really like it. However, it does provide me with really good sun protection and since that's the basic thing a sunscreen is supposed to provide, I still give it 3 out of 5. However, I would not repurchase. I am very disappointed that this formula has alcohol in it, as this dries out my skin over time. Additionally, after using this sunscreen for over 2.5 months, it has really started to clog my pores. Not only do I have more pimples, but I also have these little bumps all over my chin and forehead which I did not experience with my previous sunscreen (Paula's Choice Ultra Light Weightless Sunscreen Spray SPF 30). Also, I have problems using this sunscreen around my eyes (it also says on the tube that you shouldn't use it on the eye area) and therefore I am using Avene's Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50 on my eye area). Oh, and even on my fair skin this sunscreen leaves a white cast. It doesn't last all day, it disappears about one hour after application, but still. However, as I am currently travelling in SE Asia and my fair skin really needs the SPF50 right now, I will continue to use this and the spare tube I have untill I have finished it. After that, I will buy PC's sunscreen as soon as I get back to my home country.

Edit: I've changed my mind about this sunscreen. My skin just gets very oily in hot and humid weather and this sunscreen doesn't really have any mattifying properties, so like every other sunscreen it doesn't make my skin look nice and matte. However, I've recently started using Differin, because my skin was breaking out again due to the weather (i was using a different sunscreen) and my breakouts are now under control and I have no problems using this sunscreen at all. The protection is amazing and I actually really enjoy using it now. Would repurchase.