MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

on 1/12/2015 8:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

My HG foundation!! I have been using this for over 2 years now and I'm only halfway through my second tube, a little definitely goes a long way.
First layer is probably medium coverage but I usually just take whatever is left on the back of my hand and apply it to any problem areas and then it gives a really nice full coverage foundation.
It is a gel like formula so it is a little more difficult to blend than really runny liquid foundations, but it is not difficult at all. It lasts soo long, I put it on about 7:30am and then when I come home about 5:00pm it is still looking good, a little shiny but I can get away without having to powder all day.
I suffer from eczema and dry patches and this is perfect for that - nothing covers eczema better, it covers the redness and doesn't cling or highlight the dry and flaky areas.
I wouldn't recommend this for people with oily skin as it is a very moisturizing, dewy foundation and it may make your skin look extra shiny if you suffer from oily skin.
One bad thing about it - it does go super cakey if you powder it heavily. I made the mistake of completely mattifying my face with powder while wearing this and after 2 hours it looked cakey and just absolutely horrible - do don't do that!!

Overall, I would recommend this foundation if you like medium/full coverage foundation that gives a dewy finish and you don't mind giving the powder a miss (obviously, lightly set it but don't add too much).

Love this foundation!! Holy grail!

on 1/10/2015 4:36:00 AM

Great foundation for heavy coverage. When I suffered badly from Acne this was the only foundation to give proper coverage and not cause more spots. I used it throughout my acne treatment on Roaccutane and it caused no problems. It is quite heavy and now my skin is clear I only need to use a tiny amount however as it is quite a heavy foundation I wouldn't recommend it for daily wear if you want a light finish- I only use it for evenings, and have something lighter for daytime. (YSL fusion ink)

on 1/6/2015 12:36:00 PM

I'm super excited, because I FINALLY found the right foundation for my skin. It's hard to leave a review for foundation (unless it's non-functional) because it's one of those cosmetic items that really depends on your skin type, chemistry, etc. A few years ago my skin went from normal/combination to dry/sensitive. I tried a bunch of different foundations, but this one is finally what did it. It doesn't settle in my lines, it's moisturizing enough, but not too much, and it also is the PERFECT color. I definitely don't think this would be ideal for someone with oily skin, but if you have normal/dry-ish skin, then this could possibly work well. I find it long-lasting as well.

on 1/3/2015 3:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

The distinctive thing about MAC is that the shades best reflect the full spectrum of skin tones. The other distinctive thing about MAC, is that it is known to be harsh on the skin. In all fairness I've never had any make up improve my skin, but MAC foundation certainly takes it's toll.

I didn't give this a higher ranking because it looks oily after a few hours. In person it looks very airbrushed and complete, but in pictures the oiliness is even more apparent. The SPF concentration is only 15. I absolutely must use this with powder, otherwise the oil will surface even sooner. I'll keep it around until I find a better liquid, but this is not "the one".

on 12/12/2014 1:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

SELECTED SHADE: NC37
APPLICATION METHOD: sponge
SKIN TYPE: combination

PROS

- satin finish
- easy to blend
- medium to full build-able coverage
- lightweight
- packaging

CONS

- settles into fine lines & pores
- clings slightly onto dry spots
- can look heavy/cakey
- becomes blotchy throughout the day
- poor staying power

COMMENTS: This is a satin finish, medium to full coverage foundation. Don't expect this to control oil or stay on well because it's a more emollient formula, but surprisingly still clings to dry spots. It's lightweight, but always looks heavy regardless of my application method. It just doesn't look smooth. It looks blotchy throughout the day and settles into fine lines and pores pretty quickly. It just doesn't make the skin look pretty. Also, keep in mind that the oils and pigment can separate. Make sure to shake the tube well prior to using.

Will not repurchase.

on 12/7/2014 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm really gutted I don't like this foundation as I really wanted to, I love mac foundations having used prolongwear and studio fix before although I was getting fed up with the "full coverage" and "made up" look I wanted something with more of a satin or dewy finish and I found this, as it sates it has a satin finish but with medium / buildable coverage which sounds awesome but honestly this just doesn't work, as it's gel based it sets very fast so you have to work quickly. If you only want to use a small amount for a lighter coverage it's difficult as it sets and is so hard to blend out. I have really easy skin to work with I can pretty much use anything without any oiliness or dry patches but after an hour or two of wear my t zone is glowing I found myself having to powder constantly. It sets into fine lines terribly underneath the eyes making the skin look dry and cakey (ew) and on the forehead making me look old and I'm only 23!!! I didn't even notice I had lines on my forehead until this foundation highlighted them for me lol! Some people really love this though so maybe it's just not what I wanted as I said before I wanted to come away from the cakey full coverage appearance and with this I feel like you have to use a lot of product for it to blend.

On a positive I really like the smell of this it doesn't seem to have that paint scent like studio fix does, and the packaging is really good as it's a squeeze tube you will get most of the product out of it. But for me that's as far as the positives go! :(

i am so obsessed with this foundation! i bought it with high expectations because of my fellow youtubers recommendations and i am blown away. it has a semi matte finish and DOES NOT BUDGE! lasts all day on me even without setting it :) would highly recommend!!

on 12/1/2014 1:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this foundation. I had really high expectations for Studio Sculpt because one of my favorite youtubers had shown a clip of her wearing it and it was absolutely stunning on her. I had gotten a sample from MAC in NC42 not too long ago. I used the RT Buffing Brush to apply this and I must say it took some time to blend. After it was thorougly blended in, the finish was gorgeous: beautifully dewey & healthy. If you're not into the whole glowing skin trend, this is not for you. Despite the beautiful finish, I felt obligated to set it with powder which I don't usually do all over my face, but this foundation was SO sticky. I wore this for 12 hours, but by the third hour my face looked like it came out of the McDonalds deep frier. The lasting power was not all that great either. Loved it at first, but I just hated walking around with that sticky feeling and on top of that I looked like a grease-ball. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend this to my oily skin girls out there. Maybe dry?

on 11/22/2014 10:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this! I thought that I was set for awhile with my MAC Studio Fix Powder + Foundation, but then the freezing cold winds of New York's winter started blowing in, and I realized that there was no way my face, which turns into a desiccated tundra during the cold months, was going to make it through the winter on a powder foundation. I really adore MAC for skin makeup, so I started looking at their options and settled on Studio Sculpt because of its creamy consistency and hydrating properties. I'm so happy that I did.

I purchased this in NC40 (same shade I was in Studio Fix, and I'm NC42 in my Pro Longwear concealer). I always appreciate MAC's division of the cool and warm skintones - one of my issues with other brands is finding the correct undertones. I ALWAYS moisturize and prime underneath (I've been using Laura Geller's Spackle), which I think is important because this does have a dewy finish and would probably disappear pretty quickly sans primer.

One thing I will say is that I've tried applying this with my fingers, and it just didn't work out that well - it was difficult to blend and streaky. While I sort of hate to say this, this is definitely a product made for the Beauty Blender (I didn't have much luck with a foundation brush either). Once I used that, it became easy to apply and get a nice, even finish. I have some pretty bad acne scarring, and this goes a long way in covering it up (I still need some concealer on the very dark areas and under my eyes). I really just need one squeeze for my face. It doesn't feel caked on at all, which is lovely. I would say this gives medium to high coverage, depending on if you layer it a bit - if you are looking for a sheer tint, this definitely isn't it, and while it doesn't look incredibly natural or anything, the dewy finish means that it doesn't give you that matte dollface (which may or may not be your thing).

I sort of hate MAC's pumps - I always end up having issues with them (looking at you Pro Longwear Concealer pump) - so I was super happy to see that this came in a tube. It also has SPF, which is a happy bonus as it eliminates a step in my routine. For $31 at Macy's, this was absolutely worth the buy (a foundation of this quality from another prestige brand will easily cost you $10/$20 more). I don't have issues with breakouts, but I also religiously remove my makeup as soon as I get home and am on prescription acne meds, so I might not be the best person to speak to that because I'm medically obliterating everything in my pores each night :).

Bottom line: highly, highly recommend. Will definitely repurchase. I anticipate going back to Studio Fix Powder + Foundation in the humid summer, but I think that this is my winter foundation moving forward.

on 10/28/2014 9:59:00 AM

I am a lover of pretty much all things MAC, and this is no exception - except in the summer time. During the year, I switch between this foundation and Studio Fix Fluid; the shade of my skin is somewhere between an NW 15 and an NW 20, so I'm always mixing the foundations.

This foundation I really like because in the winter is seems to set way better than in the summer and it keeps my skin from drying out. I don't have dry skin all the time, just the winter months where I live tend to dry things out. I love that in the winter this will go on smoothly and will set quickly (probably due to the dryness of the air) and it's buildable, meaning I can cover my redness without any issue although the foundation itself usually does a really good job. What I will say is that I have to totally let it set (and I usually do this with Fix + from MAC) or else when I put on powder/blush the foundation will lift.

I get how some users find this isn't great for them after using a product like Studio Fix Fluid but I find for the winter, this is pretty much my go to unless I have an event where I know I will be inside with lots of people and it's probably going to be hot. However, for every day (and I wear full make up every day) this is awesome and I have no regrets about buying it. The only issue is I wish MAC would make a shade between NW 15 and NW20 so I don't have to keep buying 2 foundations to mix.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv

Top Rated MAC Products