MAC Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation

3.5

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7%; Titanium Dioxide 2%, Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Polymethylsilesquioxane, Isostearic Acid, C4-24 Alkyl Dimethicone/Divinylmethicone Crosspolymer, Isononyl Isononanoate, Tamarindus Indica Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Haberlea Rhodopensis Leaf Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Shea Butter, Yeast Extract, Quercus Suber Bark Extract, Phytantriol, Dextrin Palmitate, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Cellulose Gum, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone, Methicone, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Palmitic Acid, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Cetyl PEG/PPG -10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Octyldodecyl PCA, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Dipropylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Stearate, Hexylene Glycol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Chromium Oxide Greens.

PROS: It's a satin/semi-matte finish. Somewhat kind to wrinkles. It lasts pretty well.

CONS: It's not the best in my wrinkles. It's bad in my pores later. Round ends of tube don't allow you to place it on the counter to stand alone.

ALTERNATES: L'oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute is much better in my wrinkles and gives a satin finish. For lighter coverage, TheBalm's TimeBalm tinted moisturizer is so kind to my wrinkles and pores.

APPLICATION TIPS: To make it last a little longer and disguise my pores, I can first pat Monistat chafing gel (or L'oreal Magic Perfecting primer for more mattifying) into my pores and applied lightly on the rest of my face, letting it set a few minutes before applying this product, OR use Covergirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying powder (which is so kind to my wrinkles) after the foundation sets a bit. (If I am going to be out in the heat or dancing, etc., then I use the Monistat chafing gel as a primer AND use the Covergirl Advanced Radiance powder after the foundation.)

I also like to put just a drop of grapeseed oil (it's a very light oil) mixed into my foundation before applying. (It's a crazy sounding idea, but it truly creates a magical finish that doesn't look greasy. I got the tip from makeup artist Wayne Goss. But do know I'm combination/dry. It would not be good for someone who is oily or wants a true matte finish.) I use Sonia Kashuk's core synthetic blending brush, to apply and blend my foundation (It's amazing for blending.)

on 2/4/2015 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Before switching to this foundation I had always used studio fix, originally nw25 although I think I was matched too light and switched to nw30 which appeared too orange. I put up with it for a while as in the summer months I tan well and it looked ok but this winter I had done with it. I also wanted to switch to something more dewy as I'm bored of the matte doll look. The lady at Mac advised me to switch to an NC with less orange pigment and was matched at NC42 (they come up lighter than fix) The odd number also means it has a yellow undertone but not so much as a 5 or 0 shade - I think. I'm trying my best to love this foundation, when first applied it can look amazing for the first few hours, then the dewy look turns to shine, whether that's because I'm so used to a matte look and not having to do any touch ups with studio fix I'm not sure. I have never noticed my skin to be oily but with this foundation j feel it is. I want to keep the dewy look it first creates all day! I have always used no7 beautifully matte make up base and have purchased a Mac blot powder in dark to set the foundation and keep away excessive shine. Although I'd like to not have to apply this much of at all throughout the day. I'll see how that works but any tips on how to keep this foundation looking it's best all day would be appreciated. Also the best way to apply this foundation, currently using a paddle brush the same as the lady applied with in the shop but I'm not sure if this is helping to emphasise fine lines on my forehead or if I've just never noticed them from using a high coverage like studio fix. I'd really like this foundation to work as sometimes it can look brilliant, any recommendations as to how to work with it would be grateful!

on 2/3/2015 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm

This foundation feels extremely heavy and makes you look cakey no matter how you apply it ive tried a sigma f80 a stippling brush a paddle brush even a beauty blender nothing works it makes dry skin look 10 times worse and it clogs pores and causes brake outs plus i got a rash on my face cause of this and all the shades are too pink and its not transfer resistant not worth the money there are much better products for way less the packaging is okay you cant get all the product out without cutting the tube

on 2/2/2015 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is my first ever MAC product.

Because after accutane I was left with normal/dry skin i wanted something hydrating and this is a very good product.
It covers up the scars on my cheeks decently, evens my tone and doesn't irritate or break me out. I like that this has no fragrance in it because my skin is quite sensitive. Also there is no alcohol denatured in it!!!!

I just apply it with a sponge and the finish is very nice and sets to a very soft powdery finish after a few hours when the oil and moisture has been absorbed.

I prefer this one to the mineralize moisture one because that one felt really oily and dirty on my face when I tried the sample but if you have SEVERLY dry skin that one would maybe be more suitable like when you are on a high dosage of accutane but I don't really know who else would wear that one.

on 2/1/2015 10:57:00 PM

Great foundation for dry skin and looks amazing. The only bad thing I would say about this foundation is that if not set properly with a powder it will crease easily. However this is my number 1 foundation at the moment and by far the best one for dry skin.

on 1/31/2015 11:49:00 PM

I really don't understand the great reviews for this foundation. It goes on great, and looks great the first 3 hours, but after that it gets so oily and basically melts off! And I'm someone with super dry skin! I bought this after seeing youtubers raving about it, and now idk what to do with it!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

MAC Studio Sculpt is by far my favorite foundation now. I have combination skin with occasional dry patches on my cheeks, and it took me years to find a foundation that is moisturizing, provides medium to full coverage, lasts all day, doesn't cling to the dry patches one tiny bit, looks very natural. I didn't get any breakouts from this foundation, in fact my skin looks better and healthier, and I have less clogged pores than ever.
You can get medium to full coverage, and even with full coverage it feels very good on the skin. I'm one of those people who usually finds almost every foundation heavy and uncomfortable to wear, running to the bathroom to wash it off. Studio Sculpt is great this way, I don't even notice it is there.
I was surprised to see people saying it is cakey. Perhaps, they aren't applying it right?
I simply apply this foundation with my fingers, right on top of my Shiseido Ibuki moisturizer, and it blends beautifully, leaving natural, satiny finish. I don't use any powder to set it, I don't feel it is necessary (maybe powder makes some ladies' faces cakey?). If I'm having an oilier skin day, I just blot with a kleenex. I get a full day of perfect finish without any problems.
I'm not sure why some people have the settling in lines/pores issue. Never had that happen. This might not work for under-eye concealing, I don't know, but then it is not really designed for it, just use Prolongwear concealer instead- never creases.
My main tip for those who want to buy Studio Sculpt is to get a few samples and test them out first in good light, because I find that colors run a bit dark or maybe it oxidizes a little on me, and it is impossible to see the color right in the store light right after they apply it. I have light skin, but I'm not the pales girl ever. A consultant matched me to NW20, as I have cool tone skin but I found it too dark and too pink, so I matched myself to NC15 instead, as it is a very nice neutral color, not yellow at all. Perfect match. So try the foundation yourself, and don't be afraid to try both nw and nc.
I highly recommend this foundation, I think it is wonderful. I have repurchased it already, it's so good. Beats Chanel Vitalumier and various Lancomes!

on 1/22/2015 8:26:00 AM

The best yet!!!!Truly impressive foundation.I was happy with becca but went to mac because whenever I compliment someones makeup they are wearing mac.So the MA put the moisturizing ,full coverage studio sculpt on in nw25 and then studio fix in nw25.Simply beautiful combo. So now that I am completely satisfied with my foundation I was wondering if you ladies think mac foundation brushes and powder brushes really make a difference???UPDATE: IF YOU WANT MOISTURE AND COVERAGE MIX WITH LAURA MERRCIER SILKCREME MOISTURIZING PHOTO EDITION....LOOKS FAB

on 1/12/2015 8:34:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

My HG foundation!! I have been using this for over 2 years now and I'm only halfway through my second tube, a little definitely goes a long way.
First layer is probably medium coverage but I usually just take whatever is left on the back of my hand and apply it to any problem areas and then it gives a really nice full coverage foundation.
It is a gel like formula so it is a little more difficult to blend than really runny liquid foundations, but it is not difficult at all. It lasts soo long, I put it on about 7:30am and then when I come home about 5:00pm it is still looking good, a little shiny but I can get away without having to powder all day.
I suffer from eczema and dry patches and this is perfect for that - nothing covers eczema better, it covers the redness and doesn't cling or highlight the dry and flaky areas.
I wouldn't recommend this for people with oily skin as it is a very moisturizing, dewy foundation and it may make your skin look extra shiny if you suffer from oily skin.
One bad thing about it - it does go super cakey if you powder it heavily. I made the mistake of completely mattifying my face with powder while wearing this and after 2 hours it looked cakey and just absolutely horrible - do don't do that!!

Overall, I would recommend this foundation if you like medium/full coverage foundation that gives a dewy finish and you don't mind giving the powder a miss (obviously, lightly set it but don't add too much).

Love this foundation!! Holy grail!

on 1/10/2015 4:36:00 AM

Great foundation for heavy coverage. When I suffered badly from Acne this was the only foundation to give proper coverage and not cause more spots. I used it throughout my acne treatment on Roaccutane and it caused no problems. It is quite heavy and now my skin is clear I only need to use a tiny amount however as it is quite a heavy foundation I wouldn't recommend it for daily wear if you want a light finish- I only use it for evenings, and have something lighter for daytime. (YSL fusion ink)

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Request: My Current Foundation Routine and Blue,Brown and Gold Evening look by Toni3luv

Top Rated MAC Products