April 16, 2014 | 954 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mademoiselle

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by Maurie97

Love Essie nail polish but this one I could do without. I know its a classic and i guess if you are looking for something basically clear it's good. You get a just polished nice look but that's IT. If I am going through all the work of a manicure I just want something a teeny bit darker. Does not look like what you see in bottle. Yes, its a clean look but like another post said, you could probably get the same look with buffing your own nails. Just OK for me but I returned mine and will stick with Ballet Slippers or OPI's Bubble Bath for a tad more color. I do love Essie though, just not this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 3:01:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

For years, this was my first and only Essie polish.
It is a true classic and you can easily see why: Neutral, glossy, clean nude colour, that makes your nails look like a dream.
Thereīs nothing special about this colour and you might think of it as another boring neutral.
But I tell you: My nails look clean and fresh, glossy and healthy. Simple nail polish, but effective as a "nail-beautifier".
Essie describes it as a classic grown up pink.
It goes well with my NC 20/BB sand skin-tone and my nails, that tend to look yellowish with the wrong colour.
I painted it on my auntīs nails and on my motherīs nails. Both are totally different types with totally different skin-tones than mine and it worked on both!
I dare to say that most women can wear this colour, but as with every other colour, there may be an exception to the rule.
I also agree with another reviewer, that this is not meant to be opaque. The sheer pinkish milkiness is one of the classic features of this colour.
As I also own sugar daddy from Essie, I can say that sugar daddy has a stronger pink undertone and while I can build mademoiselle with 2 or 3 coats, sugar daddy becomes to pink on my nails with more than one coat.
So, in a way, mademoiselle is more neutral than sugar daddy, although love them both.
I use it on my hands and toes and love to wear it summertime or wintertime.
It doesīt streak and lasts forever.
I love mademoiselle and it is "the" nude colour from Essie.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by LizBabe12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hate to give an essie polish a low rating! Essie polishes and my second favorite brand right behind OPI. The reason I only gave Essie's Mademoiselle 3 stars is for two reasons, the price, and pigmentation.

THE PRICE:
Now paying close to nine dollars (In Canada) is fair amount of money for a tiny bottle. I didn't think much of it, because I own close to 10 essie polishes, and this is probably the only own I've ever had any sort of issue with. I bought the color and brought it home, I painted it on my nails right away hoping for a color close to Mod About You by OPI. Now I realize that this color isn't opaque. Which brings me to my next point.

THE PIGMENTATION:
I don't like the opacity of this polish. To get the actual color the bottle claims to contain you need close to 6 coats. 6 coats of nail polish is way to much for a nine dollar polish.

Now the reason that this polish got 3 stars is because, for a french manicure I love this color. It's a beautiful gloss with a touch of a nudey-pink. If you're looking for a 2-coater light pink I'd go for Mod About You by OPI. This is a great french manicure color, and I love it for that purpose. This polish doesn't have the opacity that I was hoping for, but I still will wear this color.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

This is the perfect color for doing french manicures. I use this with over french tips (blanc) and I am very pleased with the color. I recently bough the Chanel nailpolish Ballerina, and it puts Mademoiselle to shame. This polish is ok, but Ballerina goes on much better with no streaks. Sorry Essie, but you can't compete with chanel polishes; they are the best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought Essie's Mademoiselle at Walmart for $7.75 because my old translucent pink had gone bad. I have to say that I LOVE this polish and that I will never use anything else for French Manicures again! It's exactly what I wanted it to look like (I included a pic with my review, at the top of the page).

I did notice that of the 6 or so bottles of Mademoiselle, there was a noticeable color variation between them. There were a couple that had a stronger pink tone to them and a couple that were a paler pink. I'm not sure which version is the true Mademoiselle. I chose the Pale Pink because I originally wanted to try Ballet Slippers but they were sold out. I didn't like the darker pink to be honest (I tested a dot of both on my nail before I bought one)... I have noticed the same issue with other colors from Essie before. It's something they definitely need to work on... (1 out of 5 for packaging).

I gave this polish a 5 out of 5 because the results were perfect, but the 2 distinctly different colors under the same name does bother me. I wouldn't have bought it if the stronger pink tone was the only option.

Anyways, this polish went on smooth and translucent. I hate Essie's thin brushes, but I didn't have a problem with streakiness or spotting with this one at all. If you want an opaque pink THIS IS NOT IT. You would probably need to apply 5 coats... It would be beautiful as an alternative to a clear coat, and it's absolutely perfect for a understated and classic French manicure.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 8:07:00 AM More reviews by wubaduckie

I adore this translucent pink because it makes my nails look healthier and shiny. It does look like you've put on clear nail polish and for me, it's a tad lighter than my actual nail colour. I got this while I was in the US, so it was relatively cheap compared to what ridiculous prices we have in Australia (around AUD$20 I think from Myer. I could get cheaper Essie nail polishes from a wholesaler but they ran out of this colour). This is perhaps one of my favourite nail polishes, along with Chanel's Rouge Noir. (Can you imagine? The demure Essie Mademoiselle sitting next to the seductive and vampish Rouge Noir...)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2012 7:09:00 PM More reviews by dbfivegirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My first Essie experience and I loved it. Such an easy pale pink to apply. No bare patches or streaking. It will become a standard. I paid AUS$20 (about US$22) for it here but after liking it so much I ordered 15 different Essie polishes online from the US and even with ridiculous postage costs it still only cost me AUS$9 per bottle. So will buy again but online from the US and not locally. The rating for price that I've given reflects the retail price here in Australia. OPI is also AUS$20 a bottle here so polish is generally more expensive here than in US. I'm still experimenting with the best base and top coats but so far wear has been about 3 or 4 days but that was with either Revital or Sally Hansen treatment as base coats. Will experiment with some purpose made base coats to see if I can extend wear time.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by vloterbiegje

This is absolutely not what I had expected. I went to the store and on an impulse bought this nailpolish, knowing that Essie has such nice, often unique shades of colour. I picked it out from about ten shades that were very close, based only on the plastic 'swatch' that the sales rack provides. On that swatch the colour was exactly like the colour in the pot. Unfortunately, on my nails it turns out almost completely transparent, even after several layers. I wish I had done my internet research before picking out a 10 € shade that looks like any cheap transparent polish. The only thing that kept me from giving this product the lowest rating, is the fact that the consistency of the polish is really nice to work with and I also like the wide brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by angel411

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nice soft neutral nail color. A step above your basic clear coat, as it is very sheer. Good staying power.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2012 1:56:00 AM More reviews by sourcow

What is up with people's reviews on this polish. It's almost exactly like a top coat. It gives a glossy finish with the TINIEST hint of pink. Yeah, my nails look darn healthy but it's the same look I could get from a buffing brush or a top coat. I'd like something with a little more color.