July 29, 2014 | 902 users online

Polishes - Essie - Mademoiselle

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by Roxxy6341

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I think everything about this polish has already been said. It's a sheer (very sheer) milky pink with a blue undertone. This was used by a manicurist when he did a french manicure on me and I knew I had to have it. It is just sheer enough to paint over the white tips without making them look pink. This is a staple polish for me for french manicures. I'm almost done with my first bottle, and will repurchase. The reason I gave it 4/5 is for the obvious fact that this color is time consuming to build up. If you want that opaque color you will need at least 3 coats, granted it looks very pretty when you do.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:41:00 PM More reviews by MissMelanieM

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Barely noticeable. Run of the mill sheer pink shade. May as well buy Sally Hansen Hard as Nails sheer pink in that fun vintagey bottle. Looks exactly the same.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:30:00 PM More reviews by sexylovie84

this is a nice, paler alternative to my usual favorite ballet slippers. One coat appears useless, and the second/third coat is where the magic is. I did like 3 coats on top of white tips on natural nails. It looks nice on it's own. I would rather use something with more color.. this takes too many coats to have a purpose

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by CristiK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Nice colour in the bottle, but goes on very sheer and tends to streak. Also too light for my skin tone. Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by nixsticks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just started painting my nails after a several-year hiatus -- I'm usually much too lazy, but I need to stop some bad habits and having pretty nails is a deterrent. So keep in mind that I'm not particularly skilled at applying nail polish.

I tried two other Essie pinks, True Love and BBF (technically a "mauve" but still quite pink). Then I tried Mademoiselle, but was skeptical due to all the hype.

I love it. It's totally worth the hype. Well, not if you want opaque color... it took four (very thin) coats for me to get a semi-opaque color, which to me means opaque except for VNL. But I've found it almost impossible to find a pale pink that doesn't make my warm tan skin look dirty; most of them are cool/blue-toned. Mademoiselle is so clean and pretty. It does apply streaky if you don't do it right, but I've found that to be true of all nail polish. I'm not very good at it, and I have perfect, even nails right now.

Also, weirdly enough, I remember trying OPI Bubble Bath a long time ago and thinking the color didn't live up to the adorable name. This one does!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by Maurie97

Love Essie nail polish but this one I could do without. I know its a classic and i guess if you are looking for something basically clear it's good. You get a just polished nice look but that's IT. If I am going through all the work of a manicure I just want something a teeny bit darker. Does not look like what you see in bottle. Yes, its a clean look but like another post said, you could probably get the same look with buffing your own nails. Just OK for me but I returned mine and will stick with Ballet Slippers or OPI's Bubble Bath for a tad more color. I do love Essie though, just not this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 3:01:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

For years, this was my first and only Essie polish.
It is a true classic and you can easily see why: Neutral, glossy, clean nude colour, that makes your nails look like a dream.
Thereīs nothing special about this colour and you might think of it as another boring neutral.
But I tell you: My nails look clean and fresh, glossy and healthy. Simple nail polish, but effective as a "nail-beautifier".
Essie describes it as a classic grown up pink.
It goes well with my NC 20/BB sand skin-tone and my nails, that tend to look yellowish with the wrong colour.
I painted it on my auntīs nails and on my motherīs nails. Both are totally different types with totally different skin-tones than mine and it worked on both!
I dare to say that most women can wear this colour, but as with every other colour, there may be an exception to the rule.
I also agree with another reviewer, that this is not meant to be opaque. The sheer pinkish milkiness is one of the classic features of this colour.
As I also own sugar daddy from Essie, I can say that sugar daddy has a stronger pink undertone and while I can build mademoiselle with 2 or 3 coats, sugar daddy becomes to pink on my nails with more than one coat.
So, in a way, mademoiselle is more neutral than sugar daddy, although love them both.
I use it on my hands and toes and love to wear it summertime or wintertime.
It doesīt streak and lasts forever.
I love mademoiselle and it is "the" nude colour from Essie.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by LizBabe12

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I hate to give an essie polish a low rating! Essie polishes and my second favorite brand right behind OPI. The reason I only gave Essie's Mademoiselle 3 stars is for two reasons, the price, and pigmentation.

THE PRICE:
Now paying close to nine dollars (In Canada) is fair amount of money for a tiny bottle. I didn't think much of it, because I own close to 10 essie polishes, and this is probably the only own I've ever had any sort of issue with. I bought the color and brought it home, I painted it on my nails right away hoping for a color close to Mod About You by OPI. Now I realize that this color isn't opaque. Which brings me to my next point.

THE PIGMENTATION:
I don't like the opacity of this polish. To get the actual color the bottle claims to contain you need close to 6 coats. 6 coats of nail polish is way to much for a nine dollar polish.

Now the reason that this polish got 3 stars is because, for a french manicure I love this color. It's a beautiful gloss with a touch of a nudey-pink. If you're looking for a 2-coater light pink I'd go for Mod About You by OPI. This is a great french manicure color, and I love it for that purpose. This polish doesn't have the opacity that I was hoping for, but I still will wear this color.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

This is the perfect color for doing french manicures. I use this with over french tips (blanc) and I am very pleased with the color. I recently bough the Chanel nailpolish Ballerina, and it puts Mademoiselle to shame. This polish is ok, but Ballerina goes on much better with no streaks. Sorry Essie, but you can't compete with chanel polishes; they are the best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by TiffanieJean

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought Essie's Mademoiselle at Walmart for $7.75 because my old translucent pink had gone bad. I have to say that I LOVE this polish and that I will never use anything else for French Manicures again! It's exactly what I wanted it to look like (I included a pic with my review, at the top of the page).

I did notice that of the 6 or so bottles of Mademoiselle, there was a noticeable color variation between them. There were a couple that had a stronger pink tone to them and a couple that were a paler pink. I'm not sure which version is the true Mademoiselle. I chose the Pale Pink because I originally wanted to try Ballet Slippers but they were sold out. I didn't like the darker pink to be honest (I tested a dot of both on my nail before I bought one)... I have noticed the same issue with other colors from Essie before. It's something they definitely need to work on... (1 out of 5 for packaging).

I gave this polish a 5 out of 5 because the results were perfect, but the 2 distinctly different colors under the same name does bother me. I wouldn't have bought it if the stronger pink tone was the only option.

Anyways, this polish went on smooth and translucent. I hate Essie's thin brushes, but I didn't have a problem with streakiness or spotting with this one at all. If you want an opaque pink THIS IS NOT IT. You would probably need to apply 5 coats... It would be beautiful as an alternative to a clear coat, and it's absolutely perfect for a understated and classic French manicure.