April 23, 2014 | 1967 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by Shakeyhound

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this mascara because the sephora girl recommended it since I like a dramatic mascara but also have sensitive eyes. This mascara really does thicken lashes very well, but doesn't do anything to lengthen, which is good for me but I dont think most people will care for that. If you have long lashes this is great, but probably not so much for short lashes.
I have really irritatable, allergy induced watery eyes, and I haven't had any smudging from that, and the one time I got it in my eye it didnt burn or itch at all.
I like this, I will repurchase until I get bored and want to try something else, but even then I can see myself going back to this

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Pros:
-Easy to remove since it removes itself throughout the day

Cons:
-Dry and hard to apply
-Goes on Clumpy
-Flakes off eyelashes after an hour
-Adds volume in clumps but no length
-Leaves Raccoon circles under eyes
-Does not hold a curl
-Expensive

One of the WORST mascaras i have ever tried! I am returning this to Sephora over the weekend. Very dissapointed!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2012 8:36:00 PM More reviews by MargShim

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

*I have thin lashes that stick out straight/go down, but they are pretty long and more full than not*
WELL- I have mixed feelings about this mascara....
I tried this at Sephora with one of those disposable wands and LOVED it SO much... My lashes looked so amazing, yet still natural....
I brought it home and played around with it for a few months, and discovered the following:
1) It created none-very slight length, though it added tremendous volume to my lashes. However, because the volume-length ratio was about 4:1, my lashes looked kind of weird
2) If I waited a long time in between coats of applying this, my lashes would clump together in thick chunks
3) Blinking my eyelids/ applying the mascara wand to the tips to add length did NOT work 80-90% of the time, and my eyelashes would get stuck together
4) It was pretty difficult to remove- not impossible, but definitely needed a lot of makeup remover
5) I am pretty sure this flaked throughout the day... Not serious flakage, but very noticeable
6) Did not hold a curl. At all. Didn't droop my eyelashes so they stuck straight out, but they were barely lifted- and this was after curling my lashes beautifully
7) A whole lot of excess product was on the wand when I took it out from the tube. I think this mascara was intentionally manufactured like this, but it was super annoying and loads better when I wiped it off on the lips of the tube.
Overall- Lots and lots of volume, very rich black color, but it did not work exceptionally well with my lashes. I suggest this to people with naturally curled lashes that are kinda sparse...
Because of the price, I would not buy this again. But I suggest that people go to Sephora and try it for themselves- they can always return/ exchange it if they are not satisfied:)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by ksasi04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Kind of expensive, but I really like the dry formula and the way that it makes my lashes look. It doesn't clump and it looks great. Will probably repurchase if I make a little money! Haha.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by princess101

This mascara gives me very natural looking amped up lashes. Mine are typically short, straight and sparse. This gave a very natural fluttery look to them, with some length and some volume but it did weigh them down a bit, resulting in a slight loss of curl. A positive is that I can wear this despite it not being a waterproof formula, which is usually what I have to resort to keep from getting raccoon eyes and hold a curl.

I did not see any signs of smudging until the 9th hour, but only on my lower lashes. There was no flaking and this did not irritate my eyes at all. The brush is a tad large for my short lashes, and requires some skillfull application otherwise I risk ruining my eyeshadow. Overall, a good everyday mascara, but by no means dramatic nor extra dark.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 3:38:00 PM More reviews by Akaia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My all-time favorite mascara! it does it all. If I could afford it, I would buy it every month, which is the need for this one because it dries out easily. It does flake, too. But it is still the only one that I have found that has a dramatic effect on my lashes. It tends to clump, but along with that, it adds thickness you have never seen before!!! run into sephora to see if they have a sample bc it is well worth it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: ok this stuff really dried up in only a month and got super flaky and clumpy. I should have figured given how dry it was to begin with. Still, I'm disappointed.

Original review: This mascara gives the exact results I am looking for. Full lashes with the feathery look of of real hair, as opposed to the super defined look that sticks your lashes together. Its similar to my drugstore fave, L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, but its not as heavy, holds a curl better and gives a bit of length in addition to the volume. Its a very dry formula and the biggest downside is that it is prone to flaking, especially if you start touching the lashes. It also doesn't make the lashes super stiff like some formulas do (all of Maybelline's volumizing formulas except for Full n Soft). The trick to using it is to use a light hand and build up coats gradually. I find that one coat give a good amount of volume for a little enhancement and a second coat gives that touch of drama. If you use a heavy hand it will clump up. I've found that if I have put it on correctly, it looks more like false lashes rather than lashes obviously coated in mascara.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by juculin

After all the great things I had heard, I could not wait to try this mascara and really wanted to like it for the price I paid for it. I used it for a while (again mostly because of how expensive it was) but again couldn't really justify to myself using a mascara I disliked this much. It clumps like crazy even when wiping the brush and in the end I get it all over my lids trying to separate my lashes. Honestly one of the worst mascaras I've tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by vanichic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've bought this mascara last week but i think i'll never do another time.I've used for two years ysl false lashes but i've decided to try something new:bad idea! I love the color 'cause it's really extra balck but it makes my lashes clumpy and sticky .I can't understand if the problem it's the applicator or the formula.I'll go try with an ysl clean applicator.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 3:14:00 PM More reviews by PinkLipsEve

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Smoky Lash is quite frankly the best mascara I've used for thickening and lengthening my lashes. People actually think they're falsies! Yes it's expensive but in my experience and opinion, sooo worth it. My ONLY issue is as others have stated here, is that it does dry out fairly quickly. I resolved that problem by using a bit of mixing medium by MAC on my lashes before applying. Adding a bit of heat (blow dryer to the closed mascara) to the product works as well. All in all, it works for me and I will continue to repurchase. Maybe I'll try some of their other color mascaras next.