October 20, 2014 | 1855 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2011 6:16:00 AM More reviews by fenlady

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I was a shy teenager I plucked up courage and asked the fascinating older beauty assistant at the local pharmacy what she was wearing as her scent, because I loved it! She said it was Mitsouko, but when I tested that it didn't smell anything like her. I later tested Youth Dew, and found it was exactly that scent, and when I challenged her, she admitted she'd lied because she was embarrassed about the name! Which I can understand, because I am, too.
But the scent itself I love - it's warm, rich, spicy, Oriental, and full of amber and incense. Not what I'd wear on a summer's day, but quite wonderful in autumn and winter. I wear the EdP but based on the reviews I've been reading here I'm going to try the original bath oil.
I don't think you have to be any particular age or type to wear this scent. I'm a fragile-looking pale blonde, and the lady I first spotted wearing it was a plump brunette. It just depends on whether it likes your skin chemistry and whether you enjoy this type of perfume. If you want to smell like Cleopatra - as another reviewer said - or like a Russian Princess (as Estee Lauder claimed), do give it a try. Just don't be too embarrassed to ask for a tester!

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by combatmedicwife

Dang it. It's hard to put into words what I want to say about this one.
Cute bottle! Charming story! Beautiful on a vanity.
It's something I'd wear if I was spending the night alone, but sensing that it's a fragrance not everyone likes to smell, I would maybe wear this for my own enjoyment. But that's not why I wear fragrances, to be perfectly honest. I'm not sultry or brunette or mature enough to pull this one off. It's spicier than my enthusiasm can keep up with.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by iwasatreeinapastlife

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is truly a scent of my childhood, my mum wore it when I was tiny and she says she bought it because her grandmother (my great grandmother) wore it! She doesn't wear it anymore (she says it's too strong for her) but I've decided to keep up the tradition because I adore it! Though it is quite, well, loud, I think my fashion sense and personality is too, so I guess it suits me. I think the bottle is beautiful too! I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you fancy something quite distinctive this is the one!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by martas777

It smells bad. I can't even describe it. Old, rooten smell. Yak

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2011 9:57:00 AM More reviews by AllyMack86

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OMG - this stuff is a near DEAD RINGER for Shalimar..*gags*. I dare say it's worse! It has the same musty, skank stank minus the old lady Guerlinade and tonka thing going on. Straight up putrid musk with some grass thrown over it. No wonder it looks like stagnant urine. I think I'll buy a bottle just to spray it all over my allergic-to-everything husband when he's asleep..

LOL!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2010 4:15:00 PM More reviews by voxamoeba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this, but it is very strong, so I have to go easy or I kill the local wildlife. For some reason it makes me feel like Madonna.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 3:18:00 PM More reviews by dioraddict84

Back in the day, Estee Lauder (the woman) would run into department stores and break a bottle of Youth Dew on the floor and women would apparently come flocking to the counter to buy it. This scent is an oriental spicy fragrance. Top notes are aldehydes, orange, spices, peach and bergamot; middle notes are cinnamon, cassia, orchid, jasmine, cloves, ylang-ylang and rose; base notes are tolu balsam, peru balsam, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver and incense.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2010 1:45:00 AM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This one gets a 3-lippie rating from me, not because it's mediocre, but because it is a marvelous classic (5 lippies for craftsmanship) yet I cannot wear it (0 lippies for wearability).

On the right body chemistry, Youth-Dew is a drop-dead sexy Oriental with a lovely juxtaposition of warm, unctuous spices and a cool, loamy patchouli/powder finish. (The bath oil version is the way to go; the spray is just too much screeching aldehyde.) My grandmother--who could rock leather pants and angora sweaters in her 60s--wore the YD oil and it was a glorious experience to smell it on her.

However, the jasmine is what ruins this composition on my skin. Jasmine always goes fecal on me. It's why I can't wear Opium, either. When I apply Youth-Dew, I feel like I am wading toward its potential glory through a river of... well, you know. And I never get there, I just keep wading through the... yeah. I will say that trying to make YD work on me is what inspired me to start wearing patchouli again, because that's the closest approximation of what I love about YD minus the jasmine.

If you've been put off by "granny" associations, do give this classic a try with an open mind. If it works for you, it will unlock your sexuality like no one's business. Rowr!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 4:05:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently acquired a large unopened gift set of Youth Dew at auction. I remembered Youth Dew as a lovely warm sweet oriental scent that I had worn years ago while living in Cleveland. Why Cleveland? Well, the Winters are long and quite cold in this windy Lake Erie coastal city and Youth Dew is a perfect cold weather scent.

In one word, this scent is exquisite. Warm and earthy, vibrant, bewitching. Just a light dab of the bath oil (the original formulation was bath oil which doubled as perfume, please see below) gives one a lovely full but not overbearing scent. Adding a little body lotion and powder both tones down and evens out the scent.

The beauty of bergamot and tart neroli orange dances with spicy gardenia on first spritz. Aaahhhh....beauty in a bottle. Bewitching jasmine combined with the mysteriously oriental clove at the heart of this unique potion. Then comes the rich base notes of balsams, amber and oakmoss in a supporting roll.

This is the forerunner and flagship perfume to such followers as Opium (Which Estee Lauder referred to as "Youth Dew with tassles"), Christian Dior's Addict and Oscar de la Renta. Predated in the oriental catagory only by Shalimar (launched in 1925) but much more heady and rich.

Opulent like a fine gem, classic, elegant and regal. One thinks of Cleopatra, ancient Egypt, and even the great Czarinas of Russia when the aroma of Youth Dew nobly wafts across a room.

Very rich. Just a little will do. Dab a little of the original bath oil on pulse points. Or spray the EDT into the air and walk through. Monster sillage, just one application lasts all day.

I highly recommend this classic perfume to any lover of fine oriental scents.

From the LA Times at the time of Estee Lauder's death:

Lauder revolutionized the American fragrance industry in the late 1940s with her creation of Youth Dew, a sweet, sensual bath oil formulated so it could double as a perfume. In those years, most fine perfumes were expensive French imports, packed in jewel-like bottles, sealed with wax, ribbons and gold mesh wire. Middle-class women considered it extravagant and self-indulgent to buy such items for themselves. They waited to receive perfume as gifts, and then used the precious fluid only on special occasions.

Deciding to change all that, Lauder developed an inexpensive bath oil ($8.50), with a twist-off cap and a warm, heady scent that clung to the skin for hours. Women bought millions of bottles of the stuff and soon learned to enjoy wearing scent on an everyday basis. They became eager customers for the Youth Dew colognes and perfumes subsequently marketed by Lauder and others who copied her. The American fragrance industry benefited from Lauder's coup.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:22:00 AM More reviews by debdjd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely LOVE this perfume. I have been using it since I was a teenager and I remember my mother wearing it so it brings back lots of memories. My 20 year old daughter now wears it and it is one of her favourite perfumes. I always use this on special occasions and my night time fragrance. It is a heavy perfume and would not suit a lot of people.