Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 6/23/2011 2:08:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm sorry but this stuff just plain reeks! It is way too strong and too "old fashioned" smelling. It reminds me of Shalimar and Joy. Unfortunately the scent is so potent that it hurts my lungs and can nearly trigger an asthma attack. While there are people who do wear this on a daily basis, such as a few ladies in my office, I wish they would not apply it so heavily. Sorry Estee Lauder this may be a classic but I'm not a fan.

on 5/13/2011 12:24:00 PM

ARRGH! This is the stuff my mom used to wear in the 1970's. VERY heavy. Always gave me an instant headache. Reminds me of industrial solvents. Just nasty.

on 5/12/2011 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Youth Dew should be dabbed, not sprayed, and with a very judicious hand. Better yet, get the bath oil (an amazing value) and put a tiny drop on each wrist. You are now perfumed, not covered with fabric softener or plastic flowers. Like Mitsouko, this American masterpiece takes time to appreciate and perhaps some sophistication (not age, but outlook).

on 4/30/2011 5:42:00 PM

My mom absolutely HATES Youth Dew(so bad that I used to get samples at the mall & hide them in her car just to prank her. Sorry mom!), but its really not that bad. I kind of like it, actually. I grabbed a tester strip of it at Ulta the other day & threw it in my purse. This morning I went to get my makeup bag out of my purse & thought to myself, "Hey, my purse smells like a renaissance fair!". Then I realized it was the Youth Dew sample I was smelling! That's what this smells like to me, it's a dead ringer for the musky, woody, incense-y smell of a medieval fair. I might just go buy a small bottle now, I can't stop sniffing this sample.

on 4/12/2011 6:16:00 AM

When I was a shy teenager I plucked up courage and asked the fascinating older beauty assistant at the local pharmacy what she was wearing as her scent, because I loved it! She said it was Mitsouko, but when I tested that it didn't smell anything like her. I later tested Youth Dew, and found it was exactly that scent, and when I challenged her, she admitted she'd lied because she was embarrassed about the name! Which I can understand, because I am, too.
But the scent itself I love - it's warm, rich, spicy, Oriental, and full of amber and incense. Not what I'd wear on a summer's day, but quite wonderful in autumn and winter. I wear the EdP but based on the reviews I've been reading here I'm going to try the original bath oil.
I don't think you have to be any particular age or type to wear this scent. I'm a fragile-looking pale blonde, and the lady I first spotted wearing it was a plump brunette. It just depends on whether it likes your skin chemistry and whether you enjoy this type of perfume. If you want to smell like Cleopatra - as another reviewer said - or like a Russian Princess (as Estee Lauder claimed), do give it a try. Just don't be too embarrassed to ask for a tester!

Dang it. It's hard to put into words what I want to say about this one.
Cute bottle! Charming story! Beautiful on a vanity.
It's something I'd wear if I was spending the night alone, but sensing that it's a fragrance not everyone likes to smell, I would maybe wear this for my own enjoyment. But that's not why I wear fragrances, to be perfectly honest. I'm not sultry or brunette or mature enough to pull this one off. It's spicier than my enthusiasm can keep up with.

This is truly a scent of my childhood, my mum wore it when I was tiny and she says she bought it because her grandmother (my great grandmother) wore it! She doesn't wear it anymore (she says it's too strong for her) but I've decided to keep up the tradition because I adore it! Though it is quite, well, loud, I think my fashion sense and personality is too, so I guess it suits me. I think the bottle is beautiful too! I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you fancy something quite distinctive this is the one!

on 1/27/2011 10:09:00 AM

It smells bad. I can't even describe it. Old, rooten smell. Yak

on 1/27/2011 9:57:00 AM

OMG - this stuff is a near DEAD RINGER for Shalimar..*gags*. I dare say it's worse! It has the same musty, skank stank minus the old lady Guerlinade and tonka thing going on. Straight up putrid musk with some grass thrown over it. No wonder it looks like stagnant urine. I think I'll buy a bottle just to spray it all over my allergic-to-everything husband when he's asleep..

LOL!

on 12/2/2010 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this, but it is very strong, so I have to go easy or I kill the local wildlife. For some reason it makes me feel like Madonna.

Popular Fragrances