August 29, 2014 | 1254 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by happiesunflower

I really wanted to like this mascara! :( Being an Asian gal with stick straight and sparse lashes, I'm always looking for the next big thing to make my lashes pop. I got the waterproof formula of this while on holiday in NYC and liked the idea of the "extensions" that this mascara promised (and besides, this isn't sold here in Singapore).

Pros: The primer actually did coat my lashes evenly, unlike the Majollica Majorca one I'm also using. They also kept my curled lashes in place for the whole day (not easy to do with the humidity here!)

The mascara end did make my lashes look longer...I wouldn't say as much as the mascara promises to lengthen, but good enough.

Cons: Urgh. Within an hour I had black smudges under my eyes. I thought it was my eyeliner, but the next day I didn't wear mascara and the same thing happened. I had major raccoon eyes the whole day until I finally got my hands on some makeup remover (it doesn't stay on your lashes, but does on your skin!) Horrible, horrible mascara.

The primer is the only thing that works...

rated 2 of 5 on 7/19/2010 4:20:00 PM More reviews by lisaeberling

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This mascara makes my eyes very irritated and makes my lashes actually appear skinny and short kinda like spider legs def wouldn't buy again and its expensive for a drugstore brand this was like $8 or $9

rated 3 of 5 on 7/8/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by polleepocket

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased this when the store i was at out was out of the XXL 24hr bold. Waste of money! First of all, it has the white primer. Seems very wet and clumpy and I did not notice any extra length. Just an average mascara, nothing special.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by mkv91

When I recently purchased this option, not so much. I used to love Maybelline XXL when I was in school. What happened? Did I become more critical or did they get worse?

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 2:12:00 PM More reviews by CFerrara1

This is a great product! I bought the waterproof mascara because of my constant obsession with the beach and make-up typically don't compliment each other. After hours in the sun and swimming the water I had no running and no flakes! My lashes looked longer and stayed that way even after I left the beach. My only complaint would be that this mascara adds length rather than fullness, so if you are looking for something to add volume I wouldn't recommend this to you. Now this is a two step product so when wearing the mascara sometimes you can see the white primer through the black top coat; you have to make sure you cover all the white or else you will have little white spots on you lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by mashaj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The product is broken into two parts: part 1, with a white-mascara product (ish?) that is like a bottom layer or primer for your lashes. Part 2 is the actual mascara itself. Now, I didn't use the white-mascara that often, because without it my lashes were volumized and lengthened so far! I'm so happy with this product :) I have used the primer that goes with a few times, and it definitely works. I guess I'm just too lazy to apply it every morning. The mascara doesn't really clump on my lashes and I think it was worth my money. I've used it once every day for the last 6 months, and I've only just run out. A great product, although I don't think its the best. Definitely would recommend to a friend!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by judiexoxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked this mascara, it lengthened and volumized my lashes, but it does flake. it is also pretty expensive, but you only get 4.4 ml per side. compared to covergirl lashblast , which is cheaper, and you get 13 ml!
    i felt stressed trying to used the white primer also so i wouldnt use too much of the black mascara. but its hard to completely cover all the white , and can make your lashes clumpy if you apply too many coats.
    overall, i'd rate it 7 out of 10

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2010 9:01:00 PM More reviews by AndieHeartsMAC

This is a pretty decent mascara. First you coat your lashes with the white primer, which I find adds both length and volume. You then apply the mascara on your primed lashes. You have to apply the mascara before the primer completely dries because otherwise it is clump and flake city. You also have to be careful to cover all the primer, because the white is bright and very noticeable. I think there are better mascaras out there, but this is a solid product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by silverbrook

This is a decent mascara - I find that its curling power, lengthening, and volumizing are all pretty decent - just not AMAZING. I will use up my tube, but probably move on to trying some other mascaras.

EDIT: I find myself reaching for this mascara from time to time again, I have to say that it's probably my favorite drugstore mascara that I've tried so far. Clumping can be an issue if you're putting on multiple coats for volume, but a run through with the lash comb helps alleviate this. I tried applying it today by applying the primer, then mascara, then primer again, then mascara, and it worked out pretty nicely for my straight, Asian lashes. FYI, drugstore mascaras I've tried: Full 'n Soft, Lash Exact, Voluminous, Telescopic... probably more that I've forgotten about. It is my favorite out of those, though. And it doesn't seem to dry out quickly - I've had my tube for quite awhile, so that makes up for the smaller amounts of product in the tube. I will bump my rating to 5/5, since this has been my favorite drugstore mascara (despite the non-rave reviews from many others here).

rated 3 of 5 on 5/9/2010 12:07:00 PM More reviews by stthomas11

Pros Comments: The packaging is fine since it has a base primer coat and a mascara coat, so I like the idea of two mascara in one. I do also like that the primer coat is white so that it allows me to see where I need to put the mascara and if I missed any places.

Cons comments: The one I bought is waterproof, but for me, I don't think it really is waterproof. When I wear it alone and even with eye primer, it still seems to come off or leave smudges on my eye, even just after one to two hours wear. It does give me extensions, but they are not long enough (even after two-three coats). I am not sure how long of extensions they should be, but the extensions I get just seems to be short extensions. For me personally, I like longer extensions. I see this mascara as more of a thickening lashes look than a longer extension lashes look.

Suggestions: I think to make this product much better, they should work on it to really be wearable for longer periods. Compared to one of their other mascara that I used previously, and I don't remember the name but it is part of the XXL collection (I believe it was the one with the white stripes), I liked that one better.

Overall: My rating of this product would be a 3. I am still a fan of Maybelline products, but for this mascara, I probably won't buy it again as it was not the one for me.

Thanks for reading!! :)