September 16, 2014 | 1760 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Virtuose - Black Carat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 5:44:00 PM More reviews by chickeeduck

Got this as a GWP . It goes on smooth, and thickens my lashes.It did hold my curled lashes and found overall the volume to be nice after one cote. The big minus is it does have a tendency to flake thorough out the day. Can't stand flaky mascara's. I did try using it with mascara base - Shiseido, and did not find much difference in staying power. One thing I did like was the size of it. Maybe because it was a sample size, but it was smaller, which is nice to take along. Okay for a free product, not sure I will buy.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2010 10:19:00 PM More reviews by katalina

Ugh!! This goes back. No curl, no length, just a clumpy mess.
I even applied it the way the SA showed me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 5:09:00 AM More reviews by Eastend_Snob

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my second Lancome mascara. I decided I wanted to give Lancome a second chance after my fallout with Hypnose (plus I really desperately needed a mascara). After using it for the first time, I decided that I hated Virtuose even more than Hypnose.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 8:48:00 PM More reviews by macismycrack627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I hate when a MUA talks me into trying something that I know got bad reviews. Lol.
I returned the Hypnose mascara (clumpy mess, even with a lash comb), and tried this one.

Nothing special at all. Didn't add volume to my lashes at all, didn't hold curl - it made my lashes longer... but nothing a drugstore mascara can't do.

Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2010 3:44:00 AM More reviews by Xiaocat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

First mascara I bought(not the first one I used though), still the one I like best.
Curls and lengths VERY WELL. Volumes' alright, but that's not what I care about anyway.
And it's very easy to remove, warm water's enough.
Since shade 011 that I love has got discontinued already (and I've been searching for that in 4 airports in 3 countries), have decided to stock up the next time when transferring at HK.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2010 1:31:00 AM More reviews by suzannaelektra

As much as I love Lancome, I don't care for this mascara. It is kind of brittle and flakey. I can find a ton more better mascaras.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

That's bad. It's the first high end mascara I used besides MAC's Plushlash and I am not impressed at all. I'm glad I got this as a gift because ds mascaras perform way better than this one! It clumps and flakes a bit under my lower lashes. The curved brush is nice but it doesn't change the fact that the formula is really weird... it doesn't separate my lashes well since it clumps, and it doesn't really volumize my lashes either. So...... Yeah, I'll rather use a plain old Lash Blast mascara or even a Rimmel Extra Super Lash mascara. At least this one is buildable and doesn't ever flake!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2009 5:26:00 AM More reviews by sumug

Lancome is known for its mascaras, but this has to be one of their worst (if you don't count the vibrating battery-operated one for super lazy people). I wanted to love it. I was excited about wearing it in summer with the gold speckles and what have you. But it turned out to be just another annoying, average quality mascara. This formula dries out very quickly. But what really got to me was the effect of the gold speckles. My friends said they could see it, but I doubt that. I think they were just staring very hard. I, however, could definitely see it. ALL THE TIME. With every single blink (that's 16-17 blinks a minute). Gold speckles were floating in my view - in my peripheral vision - everywhere my eyes would move to - complicating everything including driving! You'd think maybe it's fun to see gold everywhere, but it's not. Yet it didn't show when I'd look in the mirror. So what's the point? Totally unsuitable for contact lens wearers (that includes me). Dont get it for the gold or silver effect. Not good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2009 11:25:00 AM More reviews by pinkuqoo

I got this as a sample a while back from a Lancome gift pack.
Been using it for months and it's generally give me great results.
I have long, but thick asian eyelashes that are stubbornly point down so i general curl my lashes first with my Koji curler and then coat it with mascara.
With the Lancome Virtuose Black Carat, I find it VERY effective in volumising AND curling if i brush on the product and separate my lashes with the inside of the curled brush and then use the top/outside of the curled brush and hold the tip of my lashes in a curled angle for about 5 seconds. I don't remember this being as effective with other macaras with a curled brush (don't remember which brands i've tried...that's how insignificant they seemed.) the result is that the curling stays on for pracically the whole day while i'm at uni.
My lashes end up having a sheen or glow, not just plain black. I guess that's why it's called the black carat.
I also love how this product DOES NOT smudge with normal activities. I actually cried once with the product on and I didn't have panda eyes afterwards.
It removes pretty easily with Lancome Bi-Facil eye make up remover that also came with the gift pack, but I made the mistake of buying an "extra-gentle" eye make up remover and that was not so effective with this product. So I suppose if you use a double-phase eye makeup remover that should do the job.
Sadly, my tube of Virtuose black carat is getting quite old and clumps quite a lot now...need replacement+back up asap.
Also I should add, because I had it in the sample size, it was just a small, straight, round tube. I guess that eliminated the problem of having a "fiddly wand" as some other users have commented on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2009 4:05:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

OMG... new HG!! I quite do not get the bad ratings here. This has immediately substituted Inimiitable and Exceptionnel (Chanel) in my Top 3 list of preferred mascaras. I had never tried Virtuose before, so I got myself a tube of Vitruose Black Carat. This mascara has ALL I need from a mascara. 1) Makes lashes look LOOOONG. I mean LONG! you get a false lashes look witt just one application. If you go for the second round, you get OMG lashes. 2) does not add super volumes (alerady does a extremely good job in addding length !). I do not like volumizing mascaras, as it means lashes get stuck together &look clumpsy and messy. 3) Dries quite fast (on the lashes , probably in the tube as well); I like that as some mascaras take forever to dry , then u blink and your makeup is to re do (Hate that when I am on the run). 4) hold a nice curl and the color is a deep, pitch black. 5) in the night, you can remove it EASILY!! one thing that i have hated with "new generation mascaras" is that they are so hard to remove, even with bi-phase eye makeup removers. Virtuose, on the contrary, is easy going!! :o) Love at first application!
I am gonna buy 3 or 4 backups for fear it gets discontinued.