July 24, 2014 | 2198 users online

Conditioner - The Egg Bomb

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2011 9:30:00 PM More reviews by pinkrose838

I tried this using the generic formula stated by the "Most helpful" people. And honestly...I didn't like it. First off, it takes quite a bit of time to make and apply. The texture is quite sticky and makes quite a bit of mess when you apply it to your hair. What I did, was I slathered it over the bottom half of my hair and put my hair in a bun, then I put saran wrap over it to "lock in the heat" and what not.

After 30 minutes, I took it out, hopped in the shower and did my regular routine - shampoo, body wash, conditioner, face cleanser. When I came out, I expected AWESOME moisture. Instead, I felt like my hair was a little weighed down and not even as moisturized as when I used my TreSemme conditioner.

Overall, this was a waste of my time and effort. I guess you could try it, but trust me, It's a whole lot of work.

If you're looking to try a natural alternative to conditioner for your hair, try apple cider, it's much better than this, and much cleaner to.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 11:06:00 PM More reviews by brokentyrant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Used this as a protein treatment.
When I washed it then applied olive oil, rinsed, and cut ends. Wow, much thicker. Ends are thick, not flimsy and see through. Natural shine throughout hair (olive oil afterwards) much more volume and thickness througout hair, while still being bouncy. Any dryness left over from the shampooing was fixed with a teeny tiny bit of olive oil on dry bits, then brushed evenly to blend the textures. Really like this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by shinobucat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have thin, breaking, frizzy, shoulder length hair. After spending a small fortune on various deep conditioners, with unsatisfactory results, I remembered using eggs and mayo in high school and decided to give that a try again.
I mixed two egg yolks, 1 generous Tbsp of mayo, a little shy of 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and a 2 Tbsp of honey. I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo then applied the mixture. I covered my hair with plastic, and covered that with a towel, and hung out for twenty minutes or so.
I rinsed the mixture out (and I used warm/hot water with no problems). Then I washed with my regular shampoo and conditioner.
Like someone else posted, I was a little worried because my hair felt a little sticky. No worries, once my hair was dry I was in love. My hair is smooth, soft, and very shiny. I have very dark brown hair and this made my hair very bright and brought out my natural highlights. I will definitely keep using this!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I do this once every week, but my recipe is slightly different and I don't shampoo it out. I use 3 egg yolks, a few squirts of the GVP Conditioning balm and 6 drops of rosemary essential oil. I mix these together thoroughly and it is just enough mixture to put in my armpit length very thick curly hair from scalp to ends. I apply and leave on for 2 hours under a shower cap and a heating pad. I fill up the tub with hot water (a tub bath is not a tub bath unless the water is hot, and I've never had the egg yolk cook in the water) and mermaid soak it swaying my hair around gently in the water for about 10 minutes. That's it! I squeeze my hair until it's not dripping wet, and wide-toothed comb all tangles out. It feels thicker, but not the least bit greasy and detangling is not a problem. I might have some bits of white egg stuff left (or maybe it's bits of conditioning balm, idk) from not separating the eggs very well, but they easily comb out. I airdry my hair after squeezing it with a towel to get as much moisture out as I am able, and have very little frizz. If you tried this with olive oil and honey and it came out greasy, you could try doing it my way. I personally don't use honey because it contains peroxide which can cause haircolor to fade quicker, but if you want to use honey, you can heat up the honey first to destroy the peroxide effect. I just like my way better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2010 8:21:00 AM More reviews by lingxi27

followed the original recipe + extra honey for hold, that did 1/3 of my hair (the ends) as mine is nearly to my waist but enough for what i needed it for (dryness and heat damage)
kept it in for 20 minutes and rinse with cold water, shampoo twice to get it all out + one more just so i felt it was really clean + condition. i noticed the real difference after i had finished blowdrying; this isn't "wow" factor, but definitely left my hair feeling softer, smoother and a bit shinier. so before i find my HG hair treatment, this will be my new go-to XD please do try it at least once, the results are quite pleasing and it is easy-to-make from readily available ingredients (so cheap as well) which is always a bonus. highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Iez

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I modified the formula because of my bad experience with olive oil in hair masks before, (i.e. leaving a film, hard or impossible to wash out without harsh shampoos, clogging pores). Inspired by Siameselouise's version I mixed one yolk with honey in an equal amount and added a tablespoon of avocado oil. I put it on wet hair, just covering the bottom half of my hair. Left it for 30 min while soaking in a hot bath and then washed it out with a silicone free organic conditioner (Faith in Nature: Hemp and Meadowfoam Conditioner). While rinsing I was terrified and preparing for the worst. My hair felt kind of dry and sticky. Not a good detangler, especially if one is used to the instant slipperyness of silicone-laden products. It washed out easily though, no shampoo needed. I VERY carefully combed my hair, put it in a bun and went to sleep.
So, waking up, I released my hair, and let it air dry and most surprisingly -it looked fantastic! Soft, shiny, voluminous, bouncy and somewhat brightened. Wow! Everything I hope for in a hair mask and more! But most amazingly - my waves now formed those corkscrews I had as a child but never saw after I started to dye and generally mess with my hair at age 14. I've been on CG (curly girl method) for a couple of months and I believe this was the final boost my curls needed to find their true shape. I will certainly do this regularly from now on.

Words of caution from a more egg-experienced friend: Do not use egg masks in a sauna or try to rinse it out with hot water, it will harden and make a mess. Also take good care to really separate all the white from the egg or it will stick like glue and be very hard to wash out. Finally you are advised to make sure you cover your hair with plastic so this mask doesn't dry while working as that too will be very hard to wash out.

Also, all the comments on bad smell: If your eggs smell they have gone bad and you shouldn't use them at all, internally or externally.

Edit Jan 2012: This has not been as successful ( especially not for curl enhancement) with repeated use. Maybe my hair only likes this protein fix once every 6 months or so. I will stick to oils pure and mixed with conditioner only for more regular use

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2010 8:41:00 AM More reviews by SYSTAR

1 yolk, 1 spoon of oliveoil and some honey. Kept it on for about 25min, then washed it off with Rehab shampoo from Lush. I didnt notice any woooow effect but my mother sad that my hair shines, so I will be using it again.
Another homemade recipe that my mother thought me, that gives me double hair volume after I use it: lemon juice, beer and egg yolk. I just mix it, put it on my hair, wrap and wear for 30min. Its a bit messy because it dripps, but I think a bit of honey could fix the problem. And the most important thing, always rinse and shampoo with cold/lukewarm water, otherwise the smell will remain.
P.S. I apologize for my grammar, english is not my mother language :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by jananaz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

After reading the rave reviews, I thought I'd give the egg bomb a try. I had not one, but two dye-job disasters over the past two years. I was beside myself (dye me bad once, shame on you, but dye me bad twice, shame on me right? Though I really think it was just bad luck because it was two totally different stylists). Anyhow, my ends have been a straw-like mess ever since, as I try to grow my hair out. I decided to give the egg bomb a shot. I mixed up the concoction of oil, egg yolks, and honey, slathered it on to my hair, put on a shower cap and waited while the entire family stared at me like I was crazy. When it came time to wash though, they were all so curious about how it'd turn out. First, I tried just flipping over and shampooing my hair with the handheld shower nozzle. This did not get all the goop out and my hair was a greasy mess. Oh and quite seriously, I know another reviewer joked about cooking the egg in your hair, but there were some chunks in mine for sure! After that, I ended up showering completely to get all the gunk out. My hair was shinier after, but the oil seemed to weigh it down still even after two shampoos. The family voted: shiny, yes. But my vote is it was just too messy and too greasy and not worth the trouble for me. I'll stick to my Aussie 3 Minute Miracle.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2010 5:09:00 PM More reviews by chickeeduck

First off, sorry to be the voice of discontent. I was excited to try this. My hair is medium length, not in bad shape, but we can always use something to make it look better. I followed the recipe to a tee. I am used to coloring my hair at home, so I am used to applying liquid solutions, but the egg bomb seemed extra messy. The smell was strong. I used regular eggs, the omega 3 kind, and I would not say I never noticed a strong smell, but even after washing it three times, I could still smell it. The result was okay, nothing major. Considering the hassle and the benefit, I will not be doing this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Sanzibar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm writing this for the other ladies my age who I'm sure have some of the same hair issues I do. My hair is coarse, dry & damaged from at home colorings and heat damaged from styling products. I like to keep my hair long, currently about 4 inches below my shoulders. My hair has developed an almost straw like texture and I thought the only option left was to have it cut short. In desperation, I tried the egg bomb treatment. I used the formula exactly as written, doubling it due to the length of my hair. Due to the excessive dryness, I topped it off with a couple tablespoons of mayo. I covered my head with a cheap shower cap & left it on a couple hours. I shampooed it out & conditioned with the Suave Shea & Almond products. My hair already felt better even wet. I wrapped in a hair towel to dry, then used my blow dryer on the lowest setting to finish it off. I won't claim my hair is perfect now but I am shocked at how effective this treatment was. My hair is soft, shiny and the straw like texture is gone. My fingers slide thru my hair now instead of getting caught in knots. I even had my husband smell it & he assures me it smells nothing like salad dressing ... only like clean hair. Finally I have hope with regular trims & once a week egg bomb treatments I'll be able to maintain not just long hair but have gorgeous long hair! I also plan to incorporate the conditioner only hair washes into my routine. Thanks so much to SiameseLouise for sharing this tip. I have learned so much from this site !