October 21, 2014 | 912 users online

Conditioner - The Egg Bomb

• Price: $

Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 teaspoon honey. In a separate bowl, beat the yolk of one egg. Mix the oil/honey emulsion with the egg and saturate your hair. (double recipe for longer hair) Leave in for 30min, shampoo and condition as usual

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2011 10:02:00 AM More reviews by lallen08

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love homemade beauty concoctions but I'm lazy and don't want anything too complicated. This is right up my alley. I put this on my hair and put on a shower cap before I ride my stationary bike for thirty minutes. The shower cap ensures that it gets nice and warm up there. It leaves my thick, coarse hair nicely conditioned.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2011 6:28:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this as a conditioner. I have my own recipe (follows) and it's saved my hair. I recently went through a downsizing phase and began to make almost all of my own beauty products. My hair has completely changed since I started making my own products, and while I attribute my hair's new found shininess and cleanliness to my ACV rinse, I believe that it's new thickness and softness is due to the egg yolk conditioner. While I do my ACV rinse almost everyday, I only do my yolk conditioner every 2 days or so. This is my recipe:
2 Egg Yolks
2 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
2 drops Sage Essential Oil
2 drops Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
2 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
I put it on my hair after I rinse out my ACV and leave it to sit while I wash my hair and face. I then rinse with cold water (you don't want hot or you'll end up with scrambled eggs). If my hair is feeling a bit stiff and I can't brush through it completely, I just use a bit of wheat germ oil. I'm so happy with the way that it's turned out. Thick, healthy, and completely natural and cheap. I'm converted!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2011 3:04:00 AM More reviews by PrettyGirlBabyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS IS SOO GOOD!!!
I actually done more then the recipe suggested, i actually used 3 egg yolks, 6 tablespoons olive oil and 2 1/2 tablespoons honey and slapped it in my hair for like an hour, washed it blah blah blah and i always air-dry my hair OMG it felt soo AMAZING!!
I recommend everyone try it even it's kinda messy but atleast you know what your putting in your hair..
Def my new weekly hair treatment!

=)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2011 8:59:00 PM More reviews by rozalina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh my gosh!
I made this mask with one egg yolk, a couple tbsp of olive oil (i don't really know the exact measurements but that seems about right) and some honey. Then I whisked everything together and had my mother smear this on the top of my head. I kept this on for about an hour and a half while I read and then rinsed it out with baking soda and water (my "shampoo") in the shower. I made sure I left some of the mask travel to my ends while I washed it out.
Not only did this make my hair soso soft, it also brought out my natural highlights. I don't think this is safe to do too often because of the egg's strong protein content, so I'm going to make this lovely mask a couple times a month before special occasions.

PS: don't throw out the egg whites! I put the egg whites on my face and then covered my skin with thin strips of toilet paper. When the toilet paper hardened (make sure it's totally solid! it might take a while) I peeled it off and my pores were clean! Much better than any other mask I've ever used. I've only done this once so I'm not sure if the results will be consistent, but I'll keep ya ladies updated.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2011 9:30:00 PM More reviews by pinkrose838

I tried this using the generic formula stated by the "Most helpful" people. And honestly...I didn't like it. First off, it takes quite a bit of time to make and apply. The texture is quite sticky and makes quite a bit of mess when you apply it to your hair. What I did, was I slathered it over the bottom half of my hair and put my hair in a bun, then I put saran wrap over it to "lock in the heat" and what not.

After 30 minutes, I took it out, hopped in the shower and did my regular routine - shampoo, body wash, conditioner, face cleanser. When I came out, I expected AWESOME moisture. Instead, I felt like my hair was a little weighed down and not even as moisturized as when I used my TreSemme conditioner.

Overall, this was a waste of my time and effort. I guess you could try it, but trust me, It's a whole lot of work.

If you're looking to try a natural alternative to conditioner for your hair, try apple cider, it's much better than this, and much cleaner to.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 11:06:00 PM More reviews by brokentyrant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Used this as a protein treatment.
When I washed it then applied olive oil, rinsed, and cut ends. Wow, much thicker. Ends are thick, not flimsy and see through. Natural shine throughout hair (olive oil afterwards) much more volume and thickness througout hair, while still being bouncy. Any dryness left over from the shampooing was fixed with a teeny tiny bit of olive oil on dry bits, then brushed evenly to blend the textures. Really like this!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 10:18:00 AM More reviews by shinobucat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have thin, breaking, frizzy, shoulder length hair. After spending a small fortune on various deep conditioners, with unsatisfactory results, I remembered using eggs and mayo in high school and decided to give that a try again.
I mixed two egg yolks, 1 generous Tbsp of mayo, a little shy of 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and a 2 Tbsp of honey. I washed my hair with clarifying shampoo then applied the mixture. I covered my hair with plastic, and covered that with a towel, and hung out for twenty minutes or so.
I rinsed the mixture out (and I used warm/hot water with no problems). Then I washed with my regular shampoo and conditioner.
Like someone else posted, I was a little worried because my hair felt a little sticky. No worries, once my hair was dry I was in love. My hair is smooth, soft, and very shiny. I have very dark brown hair and this made my hair very bright and brought out my natural highlights. I will definitely keep using this!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I do this once every week, but my recipe is slightly different and I don't shampoo it out. I use 3 egg yolks, a few squirts of the GVP Conditioning balm and 6 drops of rosemary essential oil. I mix these together thoroughly and it is just enough mixture to put in my armpit length very thick curly hair from scalp to ends. I apply and leave on for 2 hours under a shower cap and a heating pad. I fill up the tub with hot water (a tub bath is not a tub bath unless the water is hot, and I've never had the egg yolk cook in the water) and mermaid soak it swaying my hair around gently in the water for about 10 minutes. That's it! I squeeze my hair until it's not dripping wet, and wide-toothed comb all tangles out. It feels thicker, but not the least bit greasy and detangling is not a problem. I might have some bits of white egg stuff left (or maybe it's bits of conditioning balm, idk) from not separating the eggs very well, but they easily comb out. I airdry my hair after squeezing it with a towel to get as much moisture out as I am able, and have very little frizz. If you tried this with olive oil and honey and it came out greasy, you could try doing it my way. I personally don't use honey because it contains peroxide which can cause haircolor to fade quicker, but if you want to use honey, you can heat up the honey first to destroy the peroxide effect. I just like my way better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2010 8:21:00 AM More reviews by lingxi27

followed the original recipe + extra honey for hold, that did 1/3 of my hair (the ends) as mine is nearly to my waist but enough for what i needed it for (dryness and heat damage)
kept it in for 20 minutes and rinse with cold water, shampoo twice to get it all out + one more just so i felt it was really clean + condition. i noticed the real difference after i had finished blowdrying; this isn't "wow" factor, but definitely left my hair feeling softer, smoother and a bit shinier. so before i find my HG hair treatment, this will be my new go-to XD please do try it at least once, the results are quite pleasing and it is easy-to-make from readily available ingredients (so cheap as well) which is always a bonus. highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by Iez

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I modified the formula because of my bad experience with olive oil in hair masks before, (i.e. leaving a film, hard or impossible to wash out without harsh shampoos, clogging pores). Inspired by Siameselouise's version I mixed one yolk with honey in an equal amount and added a tablespoon of avocado oil. I put it on wet hair, just covering the bottom half of my hair. Left it for 30 min while soaking in a hot bath and then washed it out with a silicone free organic conditioner (Faith in Nature: Hemp and Meadowfoam Conditioner). While rinsing I was terrified and preparing for the worst. My hair felt kind of dry and sticky. Not a good detangler, especially if one is used to the instant slipperyness of silicone-laden products. It washed out easily though, no shampoo needed. I VERY carefully combed my hair, put it in a bun and went to sleep.
So, waking up, I released my hair, and let it air dry and most surprisingly -it looked fantastic! Soft, shiny, voluminous, bouncy and somewhat brightened. Wow! Everything I hope for in a hair mask and more! But most amazingly - my waves now formed those corkscrews I had as a child but never saw after I started to dye and generally mess with my hair at age 14. I've been on CG (curly girl method) for a couple of months and I believe this was the final boost my curls needed to find their true shape. I will certainly do this regularly from now on.

Words of caution from a more egg-experienced friend: Do not use egg masks in a sauna or try to rinse it out with hot water, it will harden and make a mess. Also take good care to really separate all the white from the egg or it will stick like glue and be very hard to wash out. Finally you are advised to make sure you cover your hair with plastic so this mask doesn't dry while working as that too will be very hard to wash out.

Also, all the comments on bad smell: If your eggs smell they have gone bad and you shouldn't use them at all, internally or externally.

Edit Jan 2012: This has not been as successful ( especially not for curl enhancement) with repeated use. Maybe my hair only likes this protein fix once every 6 months or so. I will stick to oils pure and mixed with conditioner only for more regular use

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No