August 20, 2014 | 1134 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Lmrought

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know what I would do without this sponge!!! I absolutely love it!!! It makes applying foundation so easy and flawless! I actually wet the sponge and then ring it out and then I add foundation right to the top of the sponge and kind of blot all over my face. Before I had this I used my finger tips and what a mess.. I'm so happy I found this! The only thing I don't love about it is that I find it kind of hard to clean.. It's stained with makeup and I can't really tell if it's entirely clean.. I just rinse until water runs clear but with sponges sometimes the makeup gets deep inside.. So hopefully I'm cleaning it enough! It has lasted me a very long time and I clean it very often.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by honu66

I just got my sk sponge yesterday at Target for 9.99 and I think I like it.
I heard from YT that it works well, if not better than the BB. The BB is $20-$25/each, so it's definitely a price difference. I have never used the BB, so I can't fairly compare, but for the SK blending sponge, I got a compliment on my skin today! I have really dark melasma spots on my cheeks and have a hard time applying makeup w/o building up too much and looking fake. This blender works well to apply just what I need where I need it and the overall affect is really....flawless. IMO.
I wet the sponge thoroughly with water, then squeeze it out, then apply my foundation (Estee Lauder Dbl Wear). I bounce my concealer on the spots and it's pretty well concealed. Plus, the application doesn't leave me feeling like I have a mask on. I like it so far. I clean it w/Dr. Bonner's soap, which works out really nicely. I am holding back on the positives until I see how long this sponge lasts...I hear they should be replaced every 3 months...we'll see! :-)
For the price and final affect, I think it's worth it to spend the $10 vs $20
on this vs BB.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 8:53:00 PM More reviews by jennyxgirl3

I bought this sponge to help apply liquid foundation. It does an amazing job! My foundation looks flawless. It was definitely worth the $9!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I spotted this sponge when shopping at Target, and it looked like it would be good for applying liquid foundation and cream concealers. It functions very well in this way, and it's a great shape for reaching all parts of the face; especially around the nose. I am terribly disappointed in the quality of this sponge though. After two washes, with Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap, it is stained badly, and the texture feels "coated". It seems to be peeling. The Kashuk sponge is soft, and it helps makeup blend nicely, but it seems to absorb too much liquid foundation, and it doesn't wash well. I really like the shape of the sponge for under eye concealer and applying neutralizer in the eye and nose areas, especially. I know this sponge is well-loved, so perhaps I got a defective product, or perhaps Dr. Bronner's Peppermint is the wrong cleaner to use...

**EDIT** Turns out I hit the nail on the head with my speculation about Dr. Bronner's Peppermint liquid soap...Today, after I applied my foundation with my Kashuk sponge, I squirted my Mrs. Meyer's Honeysuckle hand wash onto it as I was washing my hands after makeup application. The Kashuk sponge came completely clean! I mean - it looks like it's brand new! Some of what I thought was "peeling" must have been foundation remnants balled up onto the sponge. Now, all the stains are gone, and the sponge feels fresh and light again. I hadn't thought about it until this incident, but my foundation, MUFE Face & Body, is waterproof - so Dr. Bronner's, which is gentle, has the same effect on my sponge as regular eye makeup remover has on waterproof mascara...none. I washed my Sephora elliptical sponge with Mrs. Meyer's hand wash, and voila! It's like new again as well. The problem wasn't the sponges, it's the cleanser I was using to try to clean waterproof makeup.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

I'm on the fence with this one. I love using it to blend creme blush on my cheeks but to me it's just okay on foundation. I would just as soon use a triangle shaped sponge. The big reason that I'm not happy is because after about a week of daily use, my sponge started to get crumbly a little. IMO, for the price, it should last longer. I don't aggressively wash it, just a little soap and water and rinsing then I let it air dry. It does soak up foundation but that doesn't bother me because I use a drugstore brand. I think for the price I'd like to try the BB. However, this is more convienent to buy since I can pick it up at Target and I'm there at least once a week. So I may or may not purchase again although I love it for creme blush.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 12:58:00 AM More reviews by Toddster63

YOU MUST USE DR. BRONNER'S CASTILE LAVENDER SOAP WITH THIS SPONGE! You can get this soap at many "health" food stores and such, it's under $6 at Whole Foods all over the country. This soap cleans all of the makeup off of this sponge, almost instantly, and is very low sudsing, so the sponge rinses clean in around 10 seconds—with only a few squeezes under the water; TRUST ME, if you try to use regular soap or shampoo with this sponge, your makeup may not fully come out, and this blue sponge will absorb MUCHO soap and you will be rinsing for a matter of minutes, and you will dread having to wash this sponge. Plus the wear and tear of this much washing and squeezing will make the sponge start to break apart in a matter of weeks. Dr. Bronners with this sponge is as good as the Beauty Blender with the Blendercleaner. I hated cleaning this sponge until getting Dr. Bronners, but now it's a 10 second breeze.

Having used this side by side with the Beauty Blender, I gotta give the heads up to the Beauty Blender. It really is a better sponge—softer and gives a more uniform appkication; since the BB is softer, it is more bouncy and more "fun" and gives a smoother application of creme foundations for me (and if cleans lickity split with the Bronners soap—in 5 seconds, HALF the time of the SK sponge).

The SK is a decent sponge, particularly if you aren't real fussy and are budget oriented.

This sponge combined with MAC's Full Coverage gives me a very nice finish—high coverage to cover my rosacia and redness, but it's sheer and even enough that it doesn't look makeup-eee in the least (but it's not as even and nice of a finish as the Beauty Blender).

It works well also with my MUFE HD liquid too, but I think this sponge really excels with creams (can absorb lots of liquid).

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2010 12:40:00 AM More reviews by amberw22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've never tried the Beauty Blender and I hate paying even the $10 for this one. In addition, I just bought my second one tonight and the size is sooo much smaller than my first one yet the price is the same :(

On the bright side, I really like it. I tend to use it for blending concealer and foundation around my eyes. It absorbs a little too much of my $40 foundation so I just use my fingers for that.

I bought the $4 Ulta brand one and it's not the same. This is worth the extra $6.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2010 12:22:00 AM More reviews by atbmeg

I like this sponge. My makeup does look really good with it, and it feels good on my face. It is nice to get right under my eyes. It is a nice feeling to be able to buy dupes of products, because I am not about to pay 20 dollars for a sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 1:48:00 AM More reviews by mzpkay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this! I've used both the beautyblender and this and they're quite different. But both good in their own way. This is a lot denser and I find that it stipples better than the bb. It's also a lot cheaper. I'll definitely be buying this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2010 1:17:00 PM More reviews by SayItLoud

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This sponge serves its purpose, but it's not that great. It certainly isn't as good as the original Beauty Blender. I think it's too firm, which, ironically, doesn't make it last any longer. If I used this regularly I would have to repurchase it frequently. Why? Because basically I have to beat the hell out of it to get it clean! It holds on to the product for dear life. I use Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to clean it and all my other brushes. Each time I wash it I have to really go at it and by the time it's over I'm seeing tiny purple particles swirling down the drain. And now the thing is filled with pock marks.

I do like how it can cover large areas pretty quickly, but I'm not sure it's giving the same airbrushed effect the BB does. I would repurchase in a pinch but I would rather have a BB.