August 2, 2014 | 1569 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2010 1:27:00 AM More reviews by meheeeen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I can't recommend this foundation enough. If you have ever not been able to find a color match, this is for you. If you like wearing makeup, this is for you. If you have a face, this is for you.
I have pretty dry skin and I found that just moisturizing extra was enough to create a good surface for this makeup. It doesn't get oily if I moisturize enough (on days I don't, I get super oily because my skin wants to make up for being so dry) and it looks good all day. Heck, today it lasted through a nap! Nothing gross on the pillow either. It transfers reeally minimally.
I use original and might mix in a little medium the next time I make a new batch because I want a teeny bit more coverage some days, but I usually find that original is enough to even out my skin tone and add this gorgeous but natural glow. I feel sooo good about my face when I put this stuff on!
I use an ecotools long handled mineral foundation brush and kind of 'stipple' it onto my skin a little thickly then blend it all through my face, and just use a little extra around my nose and cheeks where I'm reddest.
It takes all of 15 minutes to mix your color the first time, and if you write down your recipe it will take literally 1 minute to remix. I can't think of any skin type this would not work for - they offer excellent oil control products you can mix right in, and if you're dry like me just add some extra moisture and you won't appear flaky AT ALL.
Everyday Minerals looked chalky and unnatural on me, and it was hard to find a match and a formula I liked, but with Silk Naturals, I make it how I want. I match my color, and add in any of their extra powders I would like, such as a 'glow' base or oil control powder, and you can choose how much coverage you want.
Did I mention the customer service? The owner, who makes all of the products, posts REGULARLY on their forums and is a total sweetheart! It makes me want to buy everything on that site! Seriously, give them a try.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 1:15:00 PM More reviews by xAlleGegenAlle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

WOW. I got sucked into the MMU craze last year after my skin previously acne prone, very oily skin started calming down to a point where I didn't need full coverage liquid foundation all the time anymore. I had almost resigned myself to the idea that in order to use MMU I would have to settle for a poor color match, poor coverage, high prices and touchups every hour until I found this. I ordered two sample kits (medium and heavy coverage) plus a sample of ebony foundation along with some other samples. It didn't take me long to mix up a perfect match for my skin (10 scoops ivory to 1 scoop ebony) although it was a little messy it wasn't anything I couldn't clean up with a damp paper towel (although you could avoid mess altogether by putting down a piece of newspaper or something).

Now, when they say heavy coverage, they MEAN heavy coverage. With this foundation I can get the same coverage I get with liquids, minus the hassle of a liquid. I use a flat top brush (ELF Studio powder brush) to sort of pat the powder onto my skin (kind of like the way you would stipple foundation on) and then buff it in circular motions to blend. For lighter coverage, I use the same technique with a kabuki brush. this foundation likes to be layered, because the powder is so fine, if I need very full coverage or need extra coverage in some areas, I just repeat the process. Don't try to pile a bunch on in one layer, it won't all "stick" or blend in and you'll look chalky and powdery.

The finish of this product isn't totally matte, it does have a slightly dewey but NOT at all shimmery finish, so I usually top it off with my NYC translucent powder and a little bit of silica to mattify and control oil. It wears really well, it doesn't sink into my pores or slide around my face at all which is a common problem I've had with powder foundations in the past.

Overall, this foundation is just about perfect, I can't rave about it enough. If you're thinking of trying it, just do it! Samples + shipping are cheap and generously sized (I used my sample heavy coverage 5 times and wasn't even halfway through it when I ordered a full size), and you won't regret trying it out!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 9:29:00 AM More reviews by rrhoden05

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

Been using this foundation for over a month now with the perfecting powder and I am very happy with this product. I got this foundation in the heavy coverage because I need something to cover up my rosacea on my cheeks, I also needed something that wasn't going to cause more breakouts since I have acne-prone skin. This foundation does a great job for coverage and does not get cakey whatsoever. I have tried two other mineral foundations before, BM and EDM and I won't go into details but they just did not work out for me. It only takes a couple minutes to mix it and it really isn't that big of a dealbreaker for me. Also in photos this stuff makes my face look freakin amazing, You can't even tell I have any imperfections or rosacea. I couldn't believe it the first time I saw myself in a picture. Another good thing about this is, It did not slide off my face at the end of the day. I will definitely be re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2010 4:05:00 PM More reviews by ezzyb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

After a few years of using EDM, my skin starting looking bad. Not only was the color looking off, but I was developing pretty bad acne. For the first two years, I had perfect skin. But lately, it had been getting worse and worse. So I started ordering new samples, trying to get the right color, but nothing was working. Needless to say, EDM changed something about the formula and color that I was using.

So after reading about Silk Naturals on the EDM forum (RIP!), I decided to try it out. I had used EDM's Silk powder with great success before, but since they had discontinued it, I was eager to try this new company.

I ordered the deluxe sample kit (which was like $11, I think) and it came with a good sampler of the products the company offered. Samples of each of the base colors, original ivory foundation, eye shadow, blush, clear gloss, perfecting powder and the scoop/mixing jar. Since I was still a little uncertain about my color, I thought I was cool so I used the Ebony base. I mixed it according to the suggestions and I thought it looked passable, but not perfect. I contacted the forum mod, Jen, and sent her a picture. In her wisdom, she said I was Olive (I was surprised since the EDM Olive was way green). So I made a test batch, showed my husband and he didn't think I was wearing any makeup. I had achieved perfection!

I now use a mix of original and medium coverage for work and just the original for weekends. I have since ordered many of the product offerings and have yet to be disappointed. It is worth venturing away from EDM or BE, just to try something new. I am sold on the company and the product. Karen's customer service is impeccable and the products are quickly shipped and trouble free.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by birdlady01

My first real experience with mineral makeup was with everyday minerals but i was unable to really find a perfect match, im olive toned and everything was either too yellow or too beige , i read up about this silk naturals through the everydayminerals forum and decided to try it out. I was not dissapointed. Great match as they have the olive base now and great value as well!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2010 12:50:00 AM More reviews by missyjean130

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Oh my goodness,what an amazing product we have here. I've been using EDM foundation and still adore it,but I had to humor myself and try this brand...too many people raving about it. I was a bit skeptical about mixing the colors at first,but it was shockingly easy. The process was slightly messy,but not to a point where I wasted a lot of product. I applied this when my skin was fairly dry from a chemical peel and it stuck on beautifully.I used the medium coverage and found it to be comparable to heavier formulations of other companies. Believe me people,don't be scared off by the idea of mixing it yourself. We all know what a pain it is to get a tan,lose a tan,or just have other troubles finding the perfect shade. I myself am extremely pale and it's nice to know I can mix myself up the exact shade of my skin! The two colors mix without any chunks of missed pigment left behind. I also suffer from acne,and the zinc and silk have helped eased some of the inflammation involved.Along with acne comes oiliness,and the silk and silica in this keep it from caking up!This product is also cheaper. You won't be buying the pigment as often as the ivory,which is around 5-6 bucks each for the refills.Seriously,just try this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2010 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Yukita

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am finally getting around to reviewing SN’s products. This review is for the Foundation.
SN’s foundations are very different from regular Mineral Makeup (MMU) companies. You must mix the white base (ivory) with a darker base colour of your choice. They offer 4 main bases colours, and then a selection of colour ‘tweakers’ if you need to alter the colour. The five bases are Ebony (cool/pink), Buttery Gold (warm/Gold); Warm Gold (neutral w/peach, gold, beige), and Olive. The colour correctors come in peach, yellow, and green. They also offer 3 ivory bases; Original – light coverage, Medium Coverage, and Heavy Coverage.

Don’t be overwhelmed by the fact that you are mixing your own foundation. I was able to get my mix after 2 tries, and my first try also looked great but just needed something extra to it. They also have a forum where the moderator is a genius in helping you with your colour mix. I think she has probably a 99% success rate. I would definitely suggest checking that out before trying to make your own mix.

I first ordered the sample kit which comes with all the 4 bases, an original (light coverage) ivory. The foundation itself is quite simply amazing. It makes my skin flawless, does not settle into my pores or lines, in fact, it seems to erase my pores. I use a mix of Medium/Heavy Coverage and this works fine for my purposes, and you can very easily layer to build up to a coverage you require (the pore minimizing toner that is sold in the skin care section works great as a fixing spray, you can use this between layers for a more even look and to build up the layers and still look natural).
I have used BE and EDM MMU and neither looked so flawless on my skin. I am not sure how it works but my pores disappear and my skin looks flawless. Both EDM and BE seemed to make my skin drier and look more wrinkly, SN’s one doesn’t have this effect on my skin.
I know this foundation is not for everyone, as no makeup will work for all skin types, but the sample kit is a great deal, and they have excelled customer service.
My scores:
The price point is average for online MMU stores. The foundation is roughly the same price as EDM & BE by volume. The quality is much higher however,
Packaging: same as all mineral makeup, sifter jars. MMU is messy, goes without saying. There are better jars available for MMU but not many companies use them. SN sells sifter jars seperately (the bases arrive in baggies) so I do wish they would sell better made jars. The sifter in theirs is very weak and can be warped easily, and since you are re-using it numerous times (each new batch) it would help a lot if they found a better jar. I am currently using EDM jars, with the sifter cover, works well.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2009 7:15:00 PM More reviews by tracyenix

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is great for the winter. I'm was an Everyday Mineral user (Olive Medium Golden, Olive Neutral in winter) and I would really start to look dusty in the winter. Silk Naturals is much more natural looking. I play a lot of basketball and other MM would wear off and let the rosecea show throughon the tip of my nose.

I wear the Perfecting Powder as a overall primer underneath and then conceal nose/chin rosecea with the Unblush. So I'm not using as much makeup as I did with EDM, which may be why it doesn't seem to wear off in spots so noticeably. I use the tinted blur finishing powder last. Love the intensive moisturizer, too! (my winter formula-2 olive to 10 ivory) I've tried all 3 kinds and I like the original best-it's just a smoother finish that doesn't rub off as easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2009 10:45:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

This is the best mineral foundation I have ever tried. In my eyes, it blows EDM out of the water. I was a bit apprehensive at first about the mix-it-yourself concept, but it turned out to be very easy for me, since I had an idea of my undertone already. I bought a trial bag of original foundation and olive base, and it turned out to be an ideal match. I'm with the other reviewers: It is amazing how such a finelly-milled powder covers so well. It is so smooth and not chalky whatsoever. Now I never have to worry about ordering multiple colors in a foundation to find a match, I can adjust the color according to season, and buying refills works out to be very cheap also. So glad I found this company.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2009 2:18:00 PM More reviews by pixiedoo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG foundation for sure!!! I can not believe how great Silk Naturals foundation is. I use a mix of their orignal formula and their olive base and it is a perfect match. It has great staying power, looks completely natural and I have got several compliments regarding my skin since I've been using it!! I used to use EDM but found it rather powdery looking and it slid off my face half way through the day. I have none of these problems with Silk Naturals. I am so impressed with all Silk Natural products I have tried so far and their customer service is amazing.