July 28, 2014 | 1698 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Salux Nylon Japanese Bath Towel

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2013 9:15:00 AM More reviews by Nancygia

Sorry, but this towel is not good. It is too harsh. Harsh scrubbing led to inflammation, and the inflammation led to a bad case of keratosis pilaris (KP, a condition that affects people with dry skin). I had never had it before using this towel on my body, and I still have scars on my arm from a serious breakout. Sometimes things that seem too good to be true actually are. Now I gently exfoliate with a sugar scrub twice a week and use a body wash with glycolic acid and a body moisturizer with lactic acid. I haven't experienced any new breakouts since throwing away the salux and starting my new routine.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by dawnzartandlife

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I ordered a Salux Japanese Towel online purely on the reviews listed here on MUA. Wow, I totally understand all the love. It is fabulous and I am so very glad I use this now. My skin thanks you 10X over. It is a bit scratchy to start off, it is an exfoliating towel after all. But you quickly get over that and now I am obsessed. Using this awesome towel makes my skin super soft, softer than it has ever been. I love the design of it and it makes it so easy to use this in the shower on your back and feet. I also have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms and this towel has completely removed all of it after using for a month or so! I adore this and give it my wholehearted 100% guarantee that you will love it. (I found online and ordered off amazon)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2013 2:49:00 AM More reviews by fashionfreak678

(WARNING: A little background on my skin, it's a little gross so proceed with caution haha! Skip to the second paragraph if you'd like): I've had excessively dry, sensitive, and eczema-prone skin my entire life. I also have disgusting looking dark bumps on the back of my arms and all over my legs. It's a condition called keratosis pilaris, otherwise known as "chicken skin". The skin on my left elbow is very dark and leathery looking as well.

I've been using a bath pouf with Dove body wash for years but my skin still felt relatively dry and the bumps had not lightened or disappeared. In an effort to finally get rid of them, I did some research online and discovered one possible solution: using the Salux bath towel. Then I saw the extremely high ratings here on MakeupAlley and immediately placed an order on Salux's website.

And I'm so glad I did! It's affordable at under $6. (I highly recommend buying from the official website rather than Amazon if you cannot find this locally, because you are guaranteed to get the real thing instead of a possible fake! Plus, shipping is free and super fast too!) The towel is fairly big, you can easily use this on your back. It exfoliates gently but effectively, my skin is super soft after showering even without lotion! It's absolutely amazing! And this helps save body wash too because you need just a small amount to create a thick lather.

I've been using it for a few weeks now and the bumps on my arms have lightened *slightly* and the dark leathery skin on my left elbow is beginning to smooth out and lighten as well. I will update this review within the next few months to let everyone know if this indeed helps get rid of keratosis pilaris (KP) over time.

Regardless, I highly recommend this!

UPDATE 3/29/14: My KP is extremely stubborn so I was not expecting any miracles from ANY product, but I'm happy to report that the back of my right arm has improved by 80%! My left elbow's leathery skin has almost disappeared, and the back of my left arm is 60% better. My shoulders, thighs, and legs still have those pesky red dots but they are less bumpy and not as prominent as they were before. Using the Salux bath towel, combined with Soap and Glory's scrubs, body washes, and lotions have made a huge difference for my skin overall! I'm sure with continued use and some patience my KP will lessen!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by donor

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have bought a few of these over the last couple years and I will never be without! I love to scrub my back and really exfoliate everything so easily. LOVE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Parisa909

I am so late to these wonderful cloths, but I honestly can't live without one now! It gives a better exfoliation far better than those exfoliation gloves ever could, and finally I can scrub my back! I just scrunch mine up in the shower, add my shower gel, wet and give my entire body a vigorous scrub-down. It gives such a strong lather, and to use it on my back I hold it lengthways and shimmy it down my back. I like how it reduces those horrible little body bumps, and I think it gives me a much smoother shave. To finish, I rinse it out and hang it to dry, by morning/night it's completely dry and totally clean. I bought mine from eBay - joei4444 for complete authenticity since some eBay sellers are selling counterfeits! So in conclusion, you get a far better exfoliation that ever before, you can easily wash your back and it helps to eradicate those pesky skin bumps or razor burn. If you don't have one, GET ONE!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by trickmaus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I swear, when I first used this, I could practically hear the angels sing.

My skin has been just disgustingly dry ever since I moved into a very dry, desert state. Nothing worked on it...no lotion, no bodywash, dry brushing... nothing. It was flaky and tight and uncomfortable.

And then, on a forum, someone offhandedly mentioned the Salux as a way to deal with ingrown hairs (another problem of mine). I looked at the price, and the hundreds of good reviews, and thought "Fuck it, five dollars can't hurt."

First of all, when you rub this up with a bar of soap, the lather it creates is just incredible. And unlike other loofahs I've used, it isn't already used up by the time I'm done with my legs. I love the size of it, too...I can bunch it up to scrub my arms and legs, and stretch it out to shimmy on my backside...all of which now feel like SILK, by the way. Just from using the Salux cloth. I even excitedly ran up to my boyfriend when he came home from work, making him feel how smooth my arm was. He looked at me like a freak, but hey, he can't deny it: my whole body is smooth as a baby's ass now.

Oh, and as for the ingrowns (i.e. the reason I bought this in the first place)...they're gone. Two days of use, and I was able to get rid of them all. I cannot recommend this cloth highly enough if you are a waxer or use an epilator. It's MAGIC.

EDIT: After having this for a while longer, and paying close attention to my ingrown situation, I can now say that, while this is still the best product I have found so far, it has NOT eliminated my ingrowns completely. It does lessen the amount that I get, and if I use it every day my skin still feels silky smooth, but I'm still looking at another product to see if that will get rid of my ingrowns completely. I would definitely still recommend this product in general though, it's a good exfoliator for cheap!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

How have I not reviewed this yet?! I've been using these for the last four years, and it's become so vital that I feel like something is missing if I have to shower without it.

First off, I have to have some kind of scrubby thing to exfoliate with. I used those mesh poof things forever, and they certainly get the job done. However, I couldn't reach my back with them, they were hard to rinse all of the soap out of completely (which meant they started getting gross residue on the inside after a while), and then I started seeing articles on how much bacteria they can collect if they don't get cleaned well - ugh. I saw these mentioned on some forum somewhere, and when I saw how cheap they were, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Two uses and I was converted. They are long enough to unfold and scrub your back with (same motion like you would use a regular towel to dry off with), and I noticed a dramatic decrease in back breakouts afterwards. There's a bit of a "break in" period where the cloth is very stiff and scratchy, but it softens up a little (not too much!) after several uses. They dry very quickly, so I can keep mine in the shower without it getting mildewy/moldy, and you can throw them in the wash to make sure they're good and clean.

Also? They last for-freaking-ever. The first one I had, I threw out not because it wore out, but because I had been using it for two years and I just felt like I should probably replace it. Compared to salt/sugar body scrubs and the poofs I had to throw out whenever they got gross or fell apart, I am probably saving quite a bit of money. I haven't used either of those in a few years.

If you are already using some kind of scrub or loofah regularly, I would definitely recommend these for the better value. I'd also suggest them to anyone who has rough patches or back breakouts. In any case, they are so cheap I don't feel like anyone would be losing much by giving them a try.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2013 11:53:00 AM More reviews by FusiaFever

So, I got this product after a recommendation from another user. I will say that it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It is a great alternative to using a shower loofah or pouf, because it can be washed more easily in the washer/dryer after several uses. Also, I like that I can use the length of the washcloth to scrub my back and legs (i.e. wrap it around).

However, after having lost this bath towel during moving, I have not repurchased. I have been doing just fine using a bristle shower brush with bamboo handle. I found the brush for the same $6 as I paid for the towel. I get better use out of a shower brush because you can really massage your skin. And honestly, how many people have time for both shower brush and this bath towel?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 7:51:00 AM More reviews by susieglass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

MUA is like gold dust for introducing me to finds like this! I'd never heard of it, and it hadn't crossed my mind that I needed anything like it until I came across the reviews on here. It's BRILLIANT! It makes shower gel go a long long way, leaves my skin soft and smoothed, and it brilliant prep for shaving my legs.

And I have been noticing that on the days I use it (not every day, out of sheer laziness and needing to be in and out the shower in 2 mins in the mornings), but when I do use it, there's always a point in the day when I notice how soft my arms feel and wonder what moisturiser I used that morning..... None. Just this :)

Plus, a wee exfoliation treatment a few times a week has got to be good for the old circulation, yes? AND this is surely more environmentally-friendly than a grainy scrub that goes down the drain?

Total convert.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

OMG. I'd like to say THANK YOU, Ladies. Your useful reviews convinced me to get this cloth. And it is the most amazing scrubby thing I've ever had. Actually I prefer this over dry body brushing (DBB). DBB is time-consuming, scratchy and way overhyped IMO. This cloth leaves your skin silky and smooth. I use it 3-4 times a week in the shower, and when my body is still damp I put on different natural oils. Finally the bumps are gone.