Paula's Choice Beautypedia.com

3.2

Not tested on animals

on 2/28/2014 11:19:00 AM

Love this site. It is extremely helpful in finding products that will work for my skin type. It is THE ONLY site that posts recommendations for other brands in addition to their own which i find refreshingly honest.

on 2/18/2014 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I research and review everything I buy. From lip balm to electronic equipment, it takes weeks sometimes to make a decision for me to spend money on a product. Enter Beautypedia. It's a fantastic source, and I have learned volumes. I use it, MUA, Amazon reviews as well as Drugstore.com, Ulta and Sephora to make decisions on cosmetic and skin care purchases. I love to read about other people's experiences with products. I am not a dermatologist, but I am tired of being a sheep in the flock...blindly pirchasing a product based simply based on the company's claims that it can do for you what no other can. Using all of these different sources, I have found a skincare regime which has (at 47) given me the type of skin which regularly gets complimented! Yes, I use a ton of PC products now and here is why. I like Paula herself. Yes, she has a line of products she wants me to buy. BUT, if I don't like a product I send it back and recieve an immediate refund, no questions asked. Shipping is low, there are many, many different products to choose from so I can mix and match, and her products are chock full of ingredients I would pay triple for if created by a different brand. If you watch her videos, you'll see that she, herself uses and praises plenty of products besides her own. I am extremely happy to have found her site and products. My skin looks better now than when I was 25.

on 2/17/2014 11:12:00 PM

Most of her products are wonderful but I cannot trust her reviews because many times if my friends or I posted a negative review on any of her products, she does not post them. Her reviews are cherry picked to look legit and to make sure the ratings of her products remain high. I will only repurchase the products that I have already tried and like because now that I know she doesn't post all her reviews, I am hesitant about trying new ones.

on 1/18/2014 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I would say she used to annoy me because she seems quite biased with her products but I thought which competitor in the beauty market isn't? Clinique, Chanel would never say their products are bad either and the comment on here are quote condescending on here - so what if she isn't a dermatologist? That doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't know how to read ingredients and see which benefit your skin, she studied science at university and has shown a real interest in beauty products' ingredients... I'm currently using her BHA 2% liquid and I haven't used anything else of her but seriously people! Give her a break!

on 10/30/2013 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This woman just annoys me to the bone. She's a business woman who suffered from acne and eczema from childhood, studies science at college and later on worked with a group of people to create her own skincare line. I don't see any of her credential as being a trained dermatologist, only being an makeup artist/esthetician, which in no way makes her a professional skincare expert or critics.

Basically her opinion is very simple - Everything packaged in a jar is cardinal sin, anything that comes with essential oil will cause skin irration, and beware brand name skincare houses because Paula hates you! She will solely attack on all the big name skincare products with high price tags, just for the price itself without offering any sciense or research based opinions.

To me this is beyond ridiculous. Everybody reacts differently to skincare products, being it all natual, organic, or even chemical loaded. As long as they work for me I don't go out there and broadcast about how bad chemical based products will do to your skin. You make your own judgements and your own choice when it comes to your face. I have been using organics products for a couple years, and later on switching back to all the department store brands, and my skin is happy as ever. Doesn't mean I have to do one way or the other to have good skin. It's all about how your skin reacts to different ingredients. And as long as they work, nobody can tell me why they should be so bad, even if they are packaged in a jar, or loaded with alcohol.

I don't want to make this a personal attack, but I really don't feel comfortable with someone having her own skincare line and go out preaching around town, badmouthing other brands because they simply don't live up to her own standard, which is next to nothing.

on 8/26/2013 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Yes, Paula sells her own line and as a creator of these products, of course she thinks their great! If you created something, you'd love it too. The difference is ( and it becomes Crystal clear if you watch her YouTube video on how she conducts product reviews), she gives credit where credit is due for other great products and while I bet she'd be happy if people only bought her products, she recognizes that you can't be all things to all people. She acknowledges in her brand overview for Paula's Choice that the biggest weakness of her line is that it doesn't offer anywhere close to a full range of makeup products. When was the last time you heard Estee Lauder, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, Lancome, Maybelline, or any other brand criticize its own product line? Or recommend a product from a competitor when they could sell you one of their own. Of course not. From a simplistic business strategy viewpoint, you NEVER want your potential customer to know there are other (and often better and cheaper) options out there. This is a reason most marketing claims are exaggerated and over the top; they don't want you to question too deeply or think about it too long or you might walk away from the sale. Paula isn't afraid of this. She tells you what the best products put there are, using real science and scientific research, PERIOD. The fact that when you look at a review there is a recommendation at the bottom of the page for one of her products is just what it is; a recommendation no different from what any website retailer does. She offers something you might like, but she doesn't pressure you to buy it instead and she doesn't lie about the competition. The truth is, she exposes the lies all these brands are telling us. If you watch any YouTube video she does on general topics such as beauty myths busted and great, inexpensive beauty bargains (especially the ones where she appears on a show such as Oprah or Dr Oz), she has some of her products out on display but she NEVER leads with them, nor does she put down the other products in comparison to hers. She simply gives them as one option among many. Bottom line is, we learn to trust people whose actions match their words. Paula's do, more than any other company out there. She's certainly earned my trust in her advice.

on 8/8/2013 7:17:00 AM

I feel you don't have to be a mad scientist to review what ingredients go into skin care and test makeup. I've followed Paula's reviews for years and im not 100% addicted and preaching hail Paula but I am definitely more educated and informed.

on 8/8/2013 2:27:00 AM

It's kind of funny that so many people are attacking Paula's credentials simply because she is not a doctor or chemist. First off, you don't need to be either of those to be able to do some research on ingredients. But the matter of concern is WHETHER you or other companies will do it. And quite frankly, very few of them do, and not to mention, they slap on a "dermatologist recommended" label onto it without a dermatologist actually recommending it. Secondly, being a dermatologist of chemist doesn't mean anything if you aren't committed and passionate about your work. I've met many dermatologists and heard of even more horror stories about how a lot of them are just there for the money and prescribe whatever they're paid to prescribe. You have to show your dedication and I can't think of anyone else in the skincare world, other than Paula, who has been able to do this so effectively and transparently.

Essential oils are bad. Get over it. The only purpose of essential oils is to make your skincare smell good. If you're over the age of 20 and you still need your skincare to smell "pretty" you really need to grow up. Skincare is meant to heal injuries, to prevent imperfections, and to enhance the beauty of your skin, NOT to make it smell good. You can use perfume for that. Take up any natural medicine textbook off any shelf of any library and it will tell you that nearly all essential oils are bad for the skin. Sure, you can say skincare dilutes it to a miniscule amount but why would I want a little poison when I can make sure I have none of it. There is no other benefit of essential oils, in most cases, other than to make your nostrils happy.

Skin is vast and it is different. Paula and her authors know this and have made the disclaimer countless times: use Beautypedia as a guide, not as a rule. Everyone's skin type is different, so how can any one source account for every individual in this world. That is apparent with the variety of reviews on the same product found on MUA. I don't know why people are hounding on Paula about not covering each and every single skin type on this planet. Even a person's diet is personalized to their body's needs, and skincare is no different.

Overall, Beautypedia is one of a kind. It is not perfect, nor do I expect it to be, nor do I expect all of Paula's Choice products to be perfect. It is your skin, so you know what is best for it. Read Beautypedia for some suggestions, supplement it with the reviews on MUA, then consider the needs of your skin and decide FOR YOURSELF, if a product is worth your money or not.

on 8/2/2013 9:04:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I am nearly 58 years old and have used skin care and makeup since I was 14. So I can easily say I tried the gamut from least to most expensive. That said, I rely on Beautypedia on a constant basis. I do take everything with a grain of salt but have found most reviews to be right on target. I did start to use some of her products as the pricing was what I considered very reasonable and they stand behind it. Recently I started experiencing a lot of skin problems (having deviated from her skin care and added to seasonal changes.) I emailed the "
team" for advice and gave extensive descriptions of what was going on and exactly what products I was using. They came back with their recommendations, and I have to say, it's worked! My skin is clearing up, the flakes have stopped. I was always told that I had beautiful skin, and now it's back. I use many sources for my actual makeup. Mac, Tarte, Peter Thomas Roth, Bobbi Brown (not in like so much now) and a few others. If you need skin care, email one of the reps and see what they come up with for you. I highly recommend them!

on 8/2/2013 4:44:00 AM

Paula's reviews are somewhat bias. Her own products are not that great. At times outdated and rigid opinion about makeup products.

Popular Other Products