July 31, 2014 | 2050 users online

Moisturizers - Argan Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by missmiracles

Summary :Bad for skin; wicked for hair and my cat's fur!

Was quite excited about all the talk around argan oil and bought a 60ml bottle from a reputed supplier here in the UK as part of a batch of lovely plant oils I am trialling on my face. The oil was described as organic, cold pressed and unrefined.

I applied a few drops, plain straight from the bottle to freshly cleansed skin , it was evening time. It felt greasy and almost gritty in texture.

ALMOST IMMEDIATELY my face started to react, feeling uncomfortable and prickly. Within the hour I had to look in the mirror to see what was happening and I was BREAKING OUT BIG TIME - red pimples forming on my forehead and chin and general blotchiness.

I washed it all off with pure castile soap and when it had calmed down applied pre evening primrose oil - which I know to be safe.

Fortunately overnight the reaction subsided and am now waiting for the pimples to fade.

In a way I am ok about the reaction, it was so instant and obvious. Now am wondering what to do with the oil, suppose I could use it on my hair as a pre-wash treatment, or even add it to a salad as it is designated 'food grade'.

UPDATE
Use it as pre-shampoo hair treatment: rub a small amount on palms and massage into scalp and through hair, shampoo off after 10-15mins Wow, my hair was so bouncy and glossy, I felt like a hair model! What a wonderful surprise.
THEN noticed my cat (7yrs old mixed breed) licking my hands which had oil on and thought I'd add a couple of drops - cautiously to her cat meat. Within a day or two it was miraculous - her fur seems thicker, lustrous and shiny and seems to be lighter in colour; or possibly reflecting more light.
Which leads me to think I'll take a spoon a day asa nutritional supplement and see if any benefits come my way.
(It is food grade)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by BeccahH

I love argan oil & it seems to love me back. I use it straight up on me cuticles & my nails grow healthy & strong. I mix a few drops into my creams & lotions, it gives high end results with inexpensive products.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by DaisyJxo

After reading so many positive reviews, I had high hopes for argan oil. My skin is fairly normal and I rarely break out but after using this for about 3-4 days I had one of the worst break-outs ever. I got 4 pimples on my forehead and 2 on my chin and today got another on my nose. It's unfortunate because I really was hoping for that "glowing skin" haha I wasn't too lucky this time... But I will say my sister has been using this and it really is clearing up her skin. It's just not for everyone!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2012 1:07:00 AM More reviews by blueclaire

I like Argan oil for my hair but on my body it creates weird bumps -not just on my face

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2012 12:48:00 PM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I use President's Choice Black Label Argan oil. It's about $15 and is a high quality culinary oil. The scent of this argan oil is quite pungent but I rather like it - it smells nutty to me. My boyfriend hates it though so be warned,it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I use it on both my (non-facial) skin and hair and it sinks in quickly without much residual scent. It leaves me with soft, non sticky hair and skin. It makes my hair feel thicker somehow.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by stella0r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The brand I got was for The Souk (I'm from the Philippines). It comes with a dropper attached to the cap which is pretty amazing. On my fourth day however of using it as a night moisturizer for my face, I got 3 tiny pimple-like blisters, and 2 pimples!

Too bad I had such high hopes for this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by kateyk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i used a shea butter and argan oil body buter from anaqah i got it on ebay and was a bit hesitant but i ended up loving it and whent back for some more
i have very sensitive skin and either break out or dry up and can get irritated from many products but this body butter being mixed with shea butter and argan oil was perfect for my skin and i had no issues with it at all and got extra benefits of the shea butter ;)
not to mention it was a very good price all in all im a big fan of argan oil and this new brand anaqah

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2012 2:01:00 AM More reviews by paulamarie

Just a word to the wise: this oil isn't for everyone. 'Argan oil' has been such a huge buzzword lately in the beauty world, I wanted to try it for myself. I bought some of the Elma & Sana brand, which is 100% pure and much cheaper than designer brands. I don't have oily skin and have used other oils and serums (such as sweet almond oil) on my skin to great effect. I rarely break out, but I did quite a bit after usng this oil. Within days of using it, several pimples erupted--a few below my chin, one on my cheek and one high on my forehead. I don't think it's a coincidence since I rarely break out at all, certainly not this much all at once. I discontinued the argan, and my face rapidly cleared up.

This is not to say this product cannot be good for the skin; the consensus here seems to be quite favorable. But you just never know what your skin will have a bad reaction to, and for me this was it!

Since I have so much of the bottle left, I'll try using some my hair and see what happens there and post an update later to this review.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 9:18:00 PM More reviews by yasminblah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

FOR ALL YOU ACNE SUFFERERS OUT THERE: THIS IS THE BEST PRODUCT I'VE EVER USED. My father bought this for me cause he had heard so many good things about it. I was skeptical at first because slathering oil on an already very oily acne prone skin wasn't a very exciting idea. Boy was I wrong ... This thing saved my life, really. It succeeded in everything over the counter product failed at. I want to recommend this to all people suffering from skin conditions. It helps with acne, excema, rosecea fades scars and sun spots, evens out skin tone and texture, moisturizes, fights signs of aging, and is 100% natural. My skin went from very bad to descent, almost good! I've been using this for almost 4 years now and am not planning on stopping anytime soon. Please give it a shot, if you suffer from acne it might get bad in the beginning but it is only purging so don't stop! You have nothing to lose, and it's safe to say: EVERYTHING TO GAIN! This is a Morocco's best kept secret, and this review comes from a Moroccan ;)

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 8:19:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

I bought this initially for my hair, but alas, it doesn't do anything for my super fine hair other than weigh it down and make it look greasy. I have tried it in clay masks and can't really say if it's truly useful for that or not. As far as oils go it is a bit pricey.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No