August 23, 2014 | 1084 users online

Toners - Rosewater

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by chloeanne7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a beauty junkie I use so many expensive luxury skin brands but Pure Rosewater as a toner is one beauty thing I have never been able to beat.

I've used this for ten years since I was a teenager, I get it for $6.95AUD from the freo markets in Western Australia.

This is the one skin product that has been in my routine for years. It just feels so beautifully refreshing on my skin, I feel it calms and moisturises my skin and just makes it feel alive.

I have oily skin and everything I've read that witchhazel is better for oily skin and rosewater is good for dry but I just can't get enough of how nice this makes my skin feel.

It's so calming on my skin it brings down inflammation.

I always bring some in a little spray bottle when I fly to spitz and refreshen I think it's better then thermal water.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use sunrose aromatics rosewater hydrosol. Works as a toner for normal to dry skin types (no alcohol) and smells great, too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by ExpatBeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

* Product - 100% all-natural organic rosewater. Ingredients: Rosa Damascena flower water, potassium sorbate (skin conditioning agent) and citric acid (pH balancer).

* Here in Belgium and France, rose water is ubiquitous. You can find it just about everywhere, including supermarkets, drugstores, health food stores (aka: Bio shops), pharmacies and parapharmacies. It comes in every size and format, even by the massive multi-liter! It’s simple, classic and affordable. Why is it so popular? Because it’s all natural and is suitable for all skin types. Rose water has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to repair skin cells and regenerate new skin tissue. For dry and sensitive skin, it tones, refreshes, moisturizes and soothes without irritating. For oily and acne-prone skin, its astringent properties cleanses and helps regulate sebum secretion. For all skin types, it brightens the complexion and soothes redness and various skin irritations.

* How I like to use rose water:
- As a moisturizer: I like to pat (not spritz) rose water onto my skin with clean hands prior to applying moisturizer for added moisture. I find patting it in to the skin to be less wasteful than spritzing.
- As a toner: I like to use it to remove impurities that my makeup remover might have missed.
- As a skin brightener: I use it to help fade dark spots and reduce acne blemishes.
- As a makeup setting spray: I lightly spritz it on my face as a makeup setting spray. I used to use MAC Fix+ spray but not anymore.
- As a refresher for tired eyes: I like to moisten cotton disks with rose water and then place over the eyes to soothe.
- As a remedy for minor skin irritations: I like to use rose water to treat minor bug bites, rashes, dry and flaky skin.
- As an ingredient in a DIY facial mask: I substitute rose water whenever a facial mask recipes calls for water.
- As part of my facial mask regimen: I also like to moisten my face with a little bit of rose water prior to applying my favorite Cattier Paris Masque Argile Clay Rose facial mask.
- As part of my anti-aging treatment: After gently patting rose water into my skin with clean hands after cleansing, I like to apply rose hip oil to my eye area to help soften fine lines at night.
- As a scalp treatment: I spritz all over my scalp to nourish and condition the scalp and counter any possible dandruff.
- As a hair volumizing mist: After lightly towel drying my hair, I like to spritz rose water throughout as a leave-in conditioning treatment. Where I live, the tap water is very hard and it wreaks havoc on my skin and hair. Rose water gives my hair lots of body and volume, without weighing it down or damaging it. And since this is all-natural, I think that rose water would be suitable for colour-treated hair as well.

* Scent - Surprisingly, rose water is only very lightly scented and is not overwhelming. It’s not at all like rosehip oil which has a peculiar scent to it. I was initially afraid of using rose water because I thought that I would be overcome by a garden full of roses but let me assure you, it’s not the case at all! There is a rose scent but it dissipates fairly quickly in my experience.

* Tips - In France, rose water is typically bottled in cute retro dark blue glass bottles to ensure that it’s stable. Stored in the fridge, it's a great refresher in the hot summer months! Also, be sure to check the ingredient list. The ingredient list should be short and simple and importantly, there should be NO alcohol. Alcohol can cause irritation, dryness, and free-radical damage.

* Interesting note - For anyone who’s familiar with famous French actresses like Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Adjani, Emmanuelle Béart, Audrey Tatou as well as British actress Kristin Scott-Thomas, these actresses are all clients of "celebrity hair stylist / colourist to the stars", Christopher Robin (at the über-chic Hôtel Le Meurice in Paris and hair consultant to L’Oreal Paris for over a decade). He’s got an entire line of very exclusive, very pricey “rose extract” hair products that tout all the same wonderful qualities described above ;)

* Price - Very affordable. Generally under € 5 for a 200 ml. bottle (depending on brand).

* Verdict - I’m so happy to have discovered rose water and cannot imagine going a single day without it. It's affordable and versatile and every time I use it, I feel that it's money well spent. This is a classic French beauty staple that works very well for me, my skin and my hair. Recommended!

45 out of 47 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Vikilu

It's a decent product but it dries out my skin. I paid $7.99 plus tax for a 8oz bottle at Wholefoods. The only thing good about it is that it comes with a spray bottle. I originally bought it to use as a toner but now I only use it as air spray. Anyway, I discovered the real rose water in the ethnic food section at Wholefoods. The brand is Indo-European and it is from Lebanon. It's food-grade rose water in a simple 10oz glass bottle with a metal cap.The price is $2.69. I like it both as a toner and a refresher. It is a lot better than the Heritage one.

11 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by ItalianBerry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I genuinely don't see what this does for my skin. As my skin is very dry and flake-prone, I don't really need a toner.

But for someone with oily skin and big pores, I'm pretty sure this would work. I find toners quite useless for my type.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 10:47:00 AM More reviews by dollxdaisy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing. I spray on after I cleanse and its SO refreshing! But not like that crazy stinging "refreshing" feeling you get with the average toner. It has made my skin so smooth. It soothed some dry patches I had too! Didn't exactly heal them, but it made them less itchy and rough. As for breakouts and helping with my oily skin, it honestly didn't help much. Regardless, I will still use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by lusciouslyna89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ohh Rosewater, why didn't i know about you for all those years!!?

All i can say about Rosewater has been mentioned but what the heck!
I spray it on after cleansing in the evening, in the AM, after i apply powder foundation, & if i need to refresh during the day. Each time i spray the rosewater minimizes my pores & tones my skin. After months of use ive noticed that RW decreases the severity of my breakouts...pimples & cystic acne dont stand a chance on my skin & i love being assured of that.

Now that its winter, i decided to add Glycerin to my RW since ive heard great things, and yes the rumors were true, only beware if you decide to formulate this Glycerin & RW concoction at home. The 1st night i added to much glycerin & my skin felt sticky...but i corrected it by diluting it with more RW & viola. I spray this mixture on top of my Triple Advantage moisturizer, and now winter dry skin does not exist for me.
Rosewater is always & forever a staple in my skincare regime.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 2:07:00 PM More reviews by glamstep

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

For a great homemade recipe, watch YT beauty guru Farah Dhukai's video on How to Grow healthy hair, stop dandruff, stop split ends

Now onto some uses/recipes not listed here already:

~~TONER: combats acne & tightens pores
1 1/4 cups of rose water
8 drops of glycerin
3/4 cup of witch hazel

~~FACIAL CLEANSER: natural for sensitive/dry skin
1 cup rose water
2 tsp of glycerin
10 drops of rose essential oil

~~HAIR CONDITIONER:damaged hair turns smooth & shiny!
3 drops of vitamin E oil
3 drops of jojoba oil
8 tsp rosewater
4 drops of glycerin

~~REDUCE HYPER-PIGMENTATION: or remove a tan
Equal parts of lemon juice + rosewater + glycerin
~~SKIN REJUVENATION: reduce fine lines
Equal parts of sandalwood powder + rosewater + glycerin
*Each is used as a scrub to exfoliate & daily use will show results within 1 month. Always keep ALL mixtures in dark glass bottles to increase shelf life & allow full benefits.

~~BODY SPRAY:
5 drops of jasmine oil + 1/4 cup or rose water OR
3 drops of glycerin per 8 tsp of rosewater

~~REGULAR USES:
Makeup setting spray; refreshes & leaves dewy finish.
Soothes irritated sunburn; also disinfects & cools area.
Makeup remover with cotton swabs used in circular motion.
Mixed in shampoo leaves hair soft & smelling like heaven!

Rosewater is naturally rich in Vitamins A, C, B3, D, E; list is endless. You can use a homemade recipe or buy a 4 oz bottle at Whole Foods for $6 (same as image above). Whole Foods also sells a mix of glycerin & rosewater for same oz/price; since many recipes require the two.This is a staple in my regimen, I didn't see any overnight miracles, but for the cost, knowledge of benefits, natural availability, multiple uses, fragrance & long term results, I'm sold for life & hope you are too now.

22 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 9:29:00 PM More reviews by avironneur

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

WHAT IS IT? Aqueous solution usually containing hydroessential rose oil
INGREDIENTS: Water, essential oil of rosa damascena (rose)
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? This serves as a gentle toner and can also be used to set powder or even as a body mist for women (or men who don't mind smelling like roses) - I find that it is slightly hydrating too but this is very YMMV given that rosewater does not contain any hydrating ingredients per se. Also, there are several brands available - I tend to purchase rosewater intended for cooking (available at Indian or Middle Eastern grocery stores) but the Heritage Brand rosewater commonly seen in Whole Foods and other health food stores is equally as reliable.
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? Absolutely.
PRICE: $5.99 - $10.99 CAD depending on the brand. No need to invest in expensive brands like Kosmea - the food grade rosewater at the grocery stores is the same thing and will save you a bundle.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2011 6:07:00 PM More reviews by makeupman05

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Broke me out like there was no tomorrow

UPDATE: I use this instead to freshens up my bed, curtains carpet and clothes also works really nice to spray on yoga mat. My entire house now smells like roses.
Also the smell helps me relax at night very therapeutic. Will purchase again.