July 29, 2014 | 2001 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 6:50:00 PM More reviews by mishkee

This product is amazing. I had bleached my hair a level 9/10 which is pretty much platinum and after one month hated it. So I remembered from beauty school in order to go darker your supposed to color it red. Yea... my hair turned orangey pink. NOT cute! So I concluded my hair was simply too damaged and I did a lot of investigating online as to what to do next. After reading all the awesome review on this I decided it was probably what I needed. I sprayed it on damp hair and left it in for twenty minutes. Then I applied the color which was Loreal MegaBrowns in Cinnamon and Brandy. I have to say... it is so much easier to apply color to wet hair! Anyways, the color turned out gorgeous medium/light golden brown!! It was even throughout the hair shaft! I don't think I will ever color without this product again. I have washed my hair once since the coloring and its only faded a tiny bit.. I'm sure the more I use this filler and re-color, the richer it will become. Yay!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 4:23:00 AM More reviews by In2th3night

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this in the neutral when my hair was blue black and when it was platinum....Currently I use the #10 red red ...It is great for maintaining red shades ....helps greatly in evening out your color (any shade when using the neutral) when it's time to do your roots and refresh the length! LOVE this , I hope I never have to do without it....My hair is bra-strap length and I use half of the 2.5 oz. bottle this comes in (I use a comb to distribute)....once or twice a month @ 4.69 per bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2010 1:37:00 AM More reviews by Tresha

This works! My hair has been truly tortured by bleach, so it can't grab or hold color. This protein filler is a gift! I always used my same holygrail Garnier Nutrisse hair color, and I did see the difference when I used this filler. When I don't use it my hair color goes on drab, and 2 shades lighter...and it fades super fast. But my hair color is darker when I use this protein filler. This allowed my hair to grab and hold the color better. It really does do a good job at that. It's a great haircoloring tool if your hair was bleached to the high heavens like mine and won't come down for color! I wish it was more shiny.
UPDATE: Arghhh...My only complaint is that this made my hair feel very very dry!!!! My hair looks unruly and feels ratty!!! Arghh, it feels horrible and stiff. It looks dull and not shiny and soft like it normally is with my holygrail hair dye by itself.
This protein filler is the only thing I did differently. So I had to take off a lippy for how nasty my hair feels! My hair doesn't do very well with protein, so I will most likely not use this again. I'd rather use a hair dye that has the filler already built in. I washed my hair and some of the color did fall out, and my hair still feels like a ratty mess, even after deep conditioning a few times. I'm going to have to keep deep conditioning it until it goes back to normal. This works to hold color, but the trade off isn't worth it to me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I always use before doing any hair treatment. This absolutely makes a difference in how the color willl interact with your hair plus it really prevents damage to the hair. Incredibly cheap at Sally Beauty.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 5:35:00 PM More reviews by Balletgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm grateful I found this product on this site! It has made coloring my hair (medium length, graying for the last 25 years) possible with great results. Gone is the uneven color. Even doing just root touch ups were difficult, but no more! My hair grows fast and I often need root touch ups at 3-4 weeks and I still get beautiful even color now. I use it every time and my hair takes the color well and holds up to heat styling. Time consuming, but worth it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by bobbictx

Didn't do much for me.
I have pretty damaged hair, the ends are split, and I have quite a bit of breakage.
Mostly the ends are damaged and the rest is okay. I followed the directions to the T, and used the moisturizing stuff afterwards, then I deep conditioned.
The next day, my hair felt a bit dry, so I washed & conditioned, and then my hair felt a bit better, the breakage seemed lessened some. However, after a week or so, my hair was exactly the same as before. Perhaps using this every 6-8 weeks will show some result over time, but there was no instant miracle as some describe.

I tried to 2-minute keratin reconstructor as well, and it didn't do much, if anything, either.
I'll try the joico k-pack next, but I'm not expecting any miracles. I think I may just stick to doing a deep conditioning & joico pack weekly, not sure that I'll use this often, if at all, again.

I think I will try it on my extensions when they get all tangled & ratty, & see if it makes any difference on them or not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 7:48:00 PM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Miracle product!!! I have been light auburn/strawberry blond for the past 10 years and decided last summer to go light blonde. When i decided to go back strawberry, i couldnt. My tips were soooo damaged that they wouldnt pick up color -at all-. So my hair would turn strawberry at the roots but fade the tips with-in 3 washes back to lt blonde. Pretty silly looking. That is when a friend suggested this. I used it once and it didnt work (i now know i used it wrong!). Then someone else suggested it and told me how to use it (since i can not follow simple directions apparently). I doused my hair with it with a spray bottle, left in for 20 or 25 minutes and colored hair. I used preference light reddish blonde. All of my hair was one, beautiful color! And it still is, many washes later. Also my hair is noticably stronger. Weeeeeell worth the cheap price!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 12:13:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I use this everytime I color my hair. It is about 2 bucks at Sally's for the small bottle. I use it when I am touching up or doing an all over color. My hair can pick up red very easily and using this makes sure I get exactly the color I want from root to tip - it is even and gorgeous. I have well water and use alot of clarifying treatments that can strip color however this seems to make my color last longer and look more vibrant. I usually apply it before I color and wait 20 minutes, then blot then color as usual. I have added to the actual hair coloring mixture but that makes it a bit runny and hard to deal with. Also I have hair down a bit past my bra strap and 1 bottle seems to be just right, so if you have longer hair than that get the bigger bottle or just buy two smaller ones so you will get adequate coverage. I agree that if you use this before you color it WILL pick up color very easily so do a strand test or buy a shade lighter than normal. All in all this works, it is cheap, it keeps my hair color even and bright, it is easy to find, it doesn't dry my hair out and I will always buy this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2009 3:11:00 AM More reviews by samhoney

This actually worked on me!! I bleached out my hair completely to near platinum and decided to go back to a very warm light brown. I'm NO expert but I did tons of research and decided to follow the advice I'd gathered. I bought the neutral protein filler, dampened my hair then sprayed on two ounces of this filler all over my hair. I combed it through and left it on for 20 minutes per the directions. I then blotted my hair just a touch dryer and applied Natural Instincts light auburn (apply a red semi-perm on bleached hair if going back to brown). And I'll be dang but from root to tip, the color is all even!! I'm still amazed. My hair is so soft and feels so much stronger now.

I will be applying this filler again over the weekend and allowing it to dry in my hair before applying the permanent hair colour. This filler can also be mixed with water and used as a leave-in conditioner. Smells good, too, almost like bubble gum.

EDIT: I allowed the filler to dry in my hair and then applied the golden brown permanent colour. I left colour on for 25 minutes and the results are GORGEOUS!!! Even from tip to tip and so gold and vivid. There is a red tint to the golden brown due to the semi-perm red I had to use to keep it from turning out like mud. I will use this every time I colour from now on. "Hairdresser's insurance" indeed!!!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 7:49:00 AM More reviews by kimberlyhanson

Well i think mine is more of a question than a review i think this is a great lproduct however my hair was bleached almost white blonde with dark brown roots, I lput the filler on and then the color and it helped pretty good but there is some green to the color can i had some more filler on today and more color to see if it will color that or is that the wrong thing to do?