September 2, 2014 | 2182 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 2 of 5 on 8/15/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by lorastorm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

L'Oreal Superior Preference in 6A Light Ash Brown

I didn't have a great experience with this product, but like most, I'm sure I'm somewhat to blame.

My natural color is about a Level 6 dishwater brown, but I'd highlighted it to about a Level 8 (maybe 9). I wanted to go back to my natural ashy brown, so I picked up this box. Color on the front looked exactly like what I wanted and matched my roots exactly. (Famous last words, right?)

Initially, the color didn't seem to take, so I went to Sally's, got and applied Neutral Filler, then tried the Light Ash Brown again. It took, but WHOA -- it turned muddy, greeny-brown on my highlights. Definitely not a color I have ever seen on someone's head. I probably should've gone with a red filler (not neutral), then followed up with the ash brown. I'm now going to dry to counter the green with a warm, golden brown...wish me luck!

The smell of this was overpowering while applying, but pleasant afterwards. I also liked the conditioner. I'd still love to get the model's hair color on the box! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2012 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Taypel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have no problem with the color results from this hair color; it's the scent that I cannot take. That overly floral, cloying scent not only stinks up my entire house (and it's not that small) but it also gives me scent-enduced migraines like nothing else. I haven't used this in about 7 years, and forgot the consequences of the odor. I used it to dye my hair last night and now, nearly 19 hours later, I can finally tolerate light again. I don't know what the smell is, but if they'd remove it, this would be an awesome product. Until then, I will avoid this like the plague.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by heartsp1986

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

You know why I like this brand? Because when I reach for it, I know it's going to do what I need it to do. I stopped using Garnier, Clairol, and Colorsilk because every single one of them was leaving me with hot roots. I'm 44 years old and I'm not ready to look like a grandma, when my face and skin still look like I'm 35. I use this in Medium Brown, and I like the fact that I don't get black goth hair. The medium brown may come out a tad dark on the first coloring, but then it fades into a nice brown after one wash. I use cool water, and shampoo for color hair and I use the L'Oreal conditioner that comes with the hair dye. I wash my hair twice a week and the color always lasts for me for about 5 weeks.

Yes, Superior Preference stinks. Yes, it is drippy. Yes, it might leave a mess. But I always end up with good hair color that I can count on without it completely trashing my hair and leaving me with orange roots. Open a window, throw on an old t shirt that you don't care about anymore, and lay down some towels. It's old school smelly hair dye like the kind I remember my grandma getting in the salon. Oh well. I can deal with that because of the outcome.

The one thing that L'Oreal did was change the gloves to the cheap plastic ones, but even those were durable enough for me and I have finger nails. Make sure you open a window and have a fan. I apply the color to my roots first because I'm touching up. I wait about 15 minutes then pull through for another ten. Sometimes I don't pull through at all. When I rinse, I give it a thorough rinse, a very light (no scrubbing) shampoo, then a 5 minute condition. I use tepid water every time.

I'm going to continue using this brand as long as it works for me. I'm tired of other brands changing up their formula, like Clairol does. Every time I have gone back to Clairol, they have done something different and my hair always comes out messed up. Last time I was using Natural Instincts, they changed the formula and I ended up with reddish orange hair after using it in Clove for so long.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by ladyak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the worst hair colour I've ever tried. After I finished the application on the roots, I went for the middle-ends and it started to stink REALLY bad. I couldn't breathe! My eyes were watering and my scalp was itchy. I opened the window but it didn't help, I had to go straight into the shower and rinse it off.
I've tried other products by L'Oreal (Healthy Look Creme Gloss) and were fine, but this time, they didn't had my shade at the store, so I had to get this Superior Preference... I would never ever buy it again!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/24/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by calliej

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just tried the new 6AB to boost my already light reddish brown hair to be a bit brighter, and it is now almost black. My hair is beautifully shiney, but that is the only upside that I can really think of. If you can find a colour that looks good on you, go for it with this dye. It's easy to use and makes your hair silky, but if you're not someone who can afford to go dark, don't try anything outside of their blonde line. Sad face!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by violet616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used RR04, Intense Dark Red. Well, this was the worst dye I've ever used. First of all, it SMELLS awful. Lung-clogging, eye-watering awful. I had to walk around while trying to apply this stuff. I followed the instructions and wasn't impressed with the color--much, much darker than I anticipated, not very pretty or vibrant. Furthermore, my hair felt really weak after using this. Granted, I know that probably had something to do with my only waiting a month in between colorings, but I was definitely worried at how easily my hair was breaking. It's been a month now and with some keratin conditioner, it's feeling a bit better, but I WILL NOT REPURCHASE ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by giamatteo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product! Was using Age Beautiful but the color just wasn't as vibrant or lasting like this is.

Bought #1, Blue Black and wow this is jet black all the way. I haven't really seen any of the blue hues I have heard this has, but I guess I will have someone check out my hair in the sunlight.

I've been dying my hair black for about 9 years and not sure why I never tried this. The color is just amazing. Shiny and brilliant. I use Zoto's Diamond Shine products (shampoo/conditioner) and my hair super fab not drab!

This review is not for the drugstore box kit. It is based on the Beauty Supply (Sally's) bottle of color. I used my leftover 9 volume Age Beautiful developer and it came out without any problems.

The color looks like I had it done at the salon. A bit runny, so next time I plan on using my bowl and brush. It covered the gray that was starting to come in without fail. It happens to be on sale right now at Sally's and is on special every couple of months. Buy 2 get 1 free (developer separate).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by cheetah091

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this product in the shade Light Ash Blonde 9A. I used it to FIX a professional color job that turned out brassy and a different shade on my roots than the rest of my hair. Though this did not take all the brass out it lightened my hair to the color I wanted (a medium blonde) from my brassy light brown hair with blonde highlighted roots..ew! I first did a test strand and it turned out ok so I threw it on. It's very runny and smells worse than any hair color I've ever used, but I know it's hair color so it's not going to smell like roses. Anyway, it was a lifesaver and turned my orange brassy ugly hair to one shade of medium blonde. I am using shimmering lights to take out any leftover brass or any that may develop. The best advice I can give is not to look at the picture on the front of the box but the ones on the side. Also think about your hair color and the color wheel to see what the outcome may be.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by barbraella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use this in the shade hollywood 9 which to me is an the ideal blonde not too light that you look grey and not too dark that you look like its light brown,its also a very natural shade without that yellow tone which also gives your hair a lovely shine and the conditioner makes your hair very soft ,it also seems to be gentle on hair and wont cause damage if used the right way,i would recommend this colour to anyone who wants a colour that is shiny and doesnt damage your hair and is my favourite out of all the haircolours.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Used 6BB Light Beige Brown (cooler). I had to give it a 3. It didn't pull super dark on me, it DID come out light brown, and that alone is worth a star or two - most dyes pull dark. I was covering up a lot of warmth and it definited toned it way down, but the cool tones in this dye weren't as strong as I'd hoped for. Then again, I suspect their Light ASH Brown may have done a better job but the store I got it from was out of it.

What I didn't like about this dye is how damaging/drying it felt. I've never had split ends before, just dry hair and frayed ends, but had them after this dye. Because it felt so dry, I slept with deep conditioner on afterward. When I woke up the next morning, it was like I'd never put the deep conditioner on. I expected my hair to feel greasy and full of product since I piled it on, instead my hair felt just as dry. It totally sucked all that moisture in and still wasn't enough. My ends feel like hay. It's really awful, so I definitely won't repurchase. It's a shame because the variety of shades Preference has is quite impressive, and the reason I didn't go with Colorsilk or Natural Instincts, two dyes I liked in the past.