September 22, 2014 | 1970 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2012 12:07:00 AM More reviews by angief44

I have suffered from all kinds of acne since I was in my early teens. I have tons of scars + blemishes all over my face, that were probably made worse throughout the years by over scrubbing, exfoliating, and using a ton of different cleansers. I used to basically use plain bar soap to wash my face as that was the only thing that wouldn't irritate it.
I saw this on sale at the grocery store so thought I'd give it a try. Sure glad I did! Have only been using it for two weeks and definitely see an improvement. Greatly reduced my acne and redness. Overall skin looks brighter, and I've noticed pores are reducing too.
As many have said, doesn't remove makeup well. I wear a ton of foundation so I've become used to removing my makeup prior to cleansing my skin before bed... So this isn't an inconvenience for me. I'm not at all bothered by the smell; but then again I'm not overly sensitive to smells, and also use BP so I guess the medicinal smell is something I'm used to.
Gel consistency took a few days of getting used to, but I like the way it feels now. My face feels so clean after.
Packaging is quite ugly to be honest; but pump is super convenient. I could care less how it looks though, as long as it gets the job done.It seems expensive right off the bat but the bottle is gigantic, so fairly inexpensive for the amount you're getting.
Would recommend to others with similar issues as mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 1:40:00 AM More reviews by tko68

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Effective gentle cleanser, doesn't dry my skin or make me break out. Only gripe is that it has a strange smell to it but it hasn't deterred me from repurchasing!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by prettynpink4

I bought this product when I was 11 (4 years ago) and I've been using it on and off. I do like this cleanser and it makes my face feel very clean and moisturized. It's a very basic cleanser with a cheap price. I doubt it would give anyone severe reactions since none of the ingredients are problematic, so give it a try! It's got a nice gel consistency and the smell is tolerable. They say there is no fragrance but I smell a faint alcohol. The only thing is, it's so basic a cleanser! If you've got skin that you love, or skin that you want to stay the exact same, buy this cleanser! It cleanses your skin fantastically and it won't make you break out or have allergic reactions. But it didn't improve my skin so I gave it a 4. To get the most out of this cleanser, wet your face first. Use 1-2 pumps, spread it out on your hands. Then, gently, massage your whole face focusing on areas where you usually get oilier or where you have breakouts or blackheads. Massage for 30 mississippis. Then rinse off. Make sure you rinse throughly or you might leave a film. Overall though, this cleanser isn't bad and definitely a drugstore buy if you've got a tight budget. I prefer the Bioderma Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser, so that can also be an option, though if you have sensitive skin, this Spectro jel is better. Give it a try if you want something basic and effective :)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2012 12:40:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I've used this off and on over the years in my quest for the perfect cleanser. I couldn't recall why I stopped using it years back till now. It left me with several chin cysts. I rarely get cysts unless I mess with products that cause them. I mostly get little wee papules from cosmetics, with the occasional rash of hormonal zits.
Anyway, encouraged by how gentle this was and the rave reviews, I gave it a try for a week. Bad choice for me. I knew this would not remove makeup, but I never expect any cleanser to do this, so currently I use Clean & Clear makeup remover cloths, before my wash, sometimes BP, and moisturizer.

Anyway, I used this with my wee silicone face buff/scrub thing for thirty seconds. Even used in the shower, with plenty of rinsing, I felt "filmy".

I figure this isn't for me because it a) left a film I couldn't remove b) left me with more oil production c) irritated me for whatever reason due to some mystery ingredient I've yet to identify.

I think most folks are fine to use this, but I'm frustratingly doomed to walk this earth in search of my perfect cleanser. Currently back on Alba Pineapple Enzyme cleanser, which I do love, especially in summer, but am finding a bit drying in the winter months.
*le sigh*

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 8:59:00 AM More reviews by Erinjpvanzyl

I LOVE this face wash! It cleared my acne after a couple washes, it's very gentle and doesnt leave my skin tight or dry. I use it twice a day and it works like a charm. Definitely recommend it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 9:22:00 AM More reviews by lechickpea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The most gentle cleanser on the market.. I use it when my skin feels oily but I'm not wearing any makeup, because it doesn't get it off at all- a huge downfall for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by TiaDGB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

I personally love this cleanser, but it's absolutely not for everyone.

PROS
-It's super gentle. This is one of the first cleansers that I've used that did not dry out or irritate my skin. In fact, I can safely use it twice a day even during the winter months when my skin is already dry and patchy and this will not cause flakiness or a tight feeling.
-Fragrance free.
-Very affordable.
-For me, it keeps breakouts at bay and leaves me with a clean, refreshed feeling after washing.

CONS
-Though this product claims to be for "blemish-prone" skin, it really does no good for women who are super oily or have acne. If you have those problems, you'll need something stronger than this.
-Does not take off makeup well at all. This isn't a big problem for me since I don't wear foundation on a daily basis (just concealer, blush and sometimes powder for "face" makeup).

To sum it up, if your skin is generally pretty good and you don't wear lots of face makeup, this is an ideal cleanser. But if you have acne, very oily skin or wear much face makeup, go for something more potent then this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2012 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This cleanser is very gentle and soothing, doesn't dry out the skin, is fragrance free, and feels nice. The one thing that's a deal breaker for me is that it does not remove makeup very well at all. No matter how much product I use or how long I massage the cleanser in, traces of makeup remain. I think this is good to use when I'm not wearing makeup, like in the mornings, and it's probably good for those with sensitive skin. But I wouldn't repurchase because makeup removal is really important.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by animecute

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this daily and I am on my second bottle of this. =)
I have hormonal monthly breakouts, but when I was younger this was a great cleanser too.

I found that it didn't work right away. It took about a week before I could actually see results. I used to have oily skin but not anymore. I'm not sure if it's related to this product at all or because I'm getting older now haha

Pro:
-Gentle
-Non-drying
-So cheap omg!

Con:
-if you have very very oily skin you will need something else on top of this **
-does not take off makeup

Note: I found this only prevents further breakouts.
**The Shiseido Pureness cleanser worked great when I had very oily skin

This was somewhat hard for me to find. I've seen this at Superstore and occasionally at Shoppers Drugs Mart and Walmart.
Also the lotion that goes with this the best I've tried even against some high-end brands if you have combo skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/21/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by heist7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would have to say that this cleanser is only "so-so." I'm a teen. A couple of years ago, my doctor recommended this as a cleanser for my light acne (which are really just some small bumps). I tried this but there are some issues I've had with it. The first is that, though my face looks very clean and bright after, I found that it didn't help my breakouts much. Also, my face was very oily on the T-Zone. Another thing that I just couldn't get over was the smell. It smelled so much of alcohal! I think the problem is that it's way too gentle. I have combination skin, but for all of you who have sensitive skin, it's probably a product to try.