December 19, 2014 | 1539 users online

Fragrances - Dior - Midnight Poison [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2010 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Kajka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My first encounter with Midnight Poison was soon after its spectacular launch back in the fall of 2007. To be honest, I got enchanted with this stunning concoction right from the first sniff. Yet I was in doubt if it was "me" or not (I remember something seemed wrong with the drydown -- it was too powdery or too old-lady-like, I cant' say now). As a result, I gave it up then, going instead for some other stuff. And now, I wonder how come it took me over two years(!) to reapproach the midnight blue bottle... But. As soon as I gave MP another try, I knew THIS WAS IT!!!

I've found the very fragrance I was (endlessly) looking for... Now, it's my signature frag. The one most admired and complimented (BTW, another one by Dior is Addict Eau Fraiche which gets me compliments galore from both men and women every time I wear it:))

As for the fragrance itself, MP EdP falls in the oriental/woody family, and its notes (quoted after osmoz.com) are:

top note: bergamot, mandarin orange
middle note: rose absolute, patchouli
base note: amber, ambrox, bourbon vanilla

The way one perceives a fragrance is a personal experience which cannot be shared (and can hardly be communicated:)). What I adore in MP the most is the patchouli note which makes this fragrance outstandingly mysterious and overwhelmingly sexy. The funny thing is that I normally detest patchouli but here it's so extraordinary (maybe due to the citrusy top notes?) that I simply cannot resist... I find this perfume full of interesting contrasts: dry and sultry at the same time, audacious and aloof, sexy yet innocent, feminine but with a masculine side (the pathchouli!) which makes it robust in a very appealing way...

As I said before, MP is not a scent which goes unnoticed. It has a character and people do smell it, even a few hours after application when I have already forgotten it's there. As I said before, MP gets me lots of compliments. Many scents do. What is striking about MP, hhowever, is that it evokes the same associations in different people. At least it gets me the same kind of compliments -- I have numerously been told that I smell MYSTERIOUS. Hmm... A spritz of MP turns me into a mysterious woman :) Would I want anything else?

As for the lasting power, I'll say it's ...good enough. Meaning something around 4 hours. Which seems just fine in that it makes room for having the pleasure of reapplication :)

One final remark -- if you want to give MP a try, note the difference between the original MP and the later Elixir version (which seem to have a note of caramel added and much more vanilla). I personally adore the EdP which is so luscious (probably thanks to the fruity top notes) while the Elixir doesn't appeal to me at all. Obviously, someone else may say the contrary... So, mind the difference and go for the version which suits your chemistry!

Fabulous smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2010 4:22:00 PM More reviews by pierce0566

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wonderful, Sexy Scent!! So loving this scent now. It's so different from the fruity, floral, generic scents. Nothing wrong with those. If you want compliments galore try midnight posion. My sister told me it was me when I tried on a sample and I could not quit smelling my wrist. I've been told this smells better than anything I've ever worn in the past. Cant wait to get more.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by magicalmoongoddess

Would I buy this again?? Absolutely without a doubt! I'm a little suprised by all the negative reviews, but do have to agree that this is not mainstream and is a little on the masculine side. However, that's why I like it so much, as it's such a change from all the pretty, girly, sweet fragrances out there. Nothing wrong with those - but this is a wonderful contrast. I find it exotic smelling and quite sexy. To begin with, it smells vaguely fruity with a wondeful amber and patchouli base. This is such beautifully done patcouli though - not too overpowering, but just enough to get that exotic, slightly powdery edge to it. I see this as being a sexy, evening fragrance that wouldn't be out of place in an old fashioned cigar lounge type of place - definitely a sensual, mature fragrance :-)

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by kylie123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love most Dior perfumes, but i really don't like this one. Smells like a man fragrance to me. Lucky i got it in a little size in a gift set of Diors.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2009 11:52:00 AM More reviews by kiune

Mamma mia! This is a beautiful and extremely sexy scent. It is one of the only ones I've ever smelled that make me smile...and smile when it's ON ME! I am all the more surprised because it contains patchouli which up until now I have detested on myself as it smelled rank and overpowering.

This perfume is rich and heavy and intoxicating but also bright and sparkling and charmingly playful (the sweet orange sorbet that I get is what makes this happen for me). The orange sorbet I get is what I had originally thought Shalimar would do for me but never did (getting all heavy and too domineering on me). I've always been on the lookout for a lovely warm skin-like scent that had a spicy kick with that elusive orange scent and I've found it! The patchouli also makes it smell very clean. CLEAN? Yes! Like I just showered and I have a baby's fresh scent. A little disconcerting but I'll take it for all the other things I do like about it. I just have to figure out how to make it last stronger on my skin as it tends to eat up scents pretty quickly. Spraying in my hair is helping.

I adore the bottle shape (esp the small 30 ml one) as it fits so well into the palm of my hand. The midnight blue color is GORGEOUS and one of my favorite colors. I can't believe my current HG scent is in a bottle of my favorite color. I've been wondering if the reason why I like the scent so much is because of the color... but I know that's not the case.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 6:20:00 PM More reviews by aquamarine11

This one smells old-ladyish to me. It starts off spicy but the drydown is super powdery with a little spice. The bottle is pretty, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by PCA05KAT

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like mainly sweet light perfumes, especially during the daytime. So this is a definate change for me! It is a heavy, slightly masculine and musky scent that is very heavy on the amber. If you like the smell of amber then you should like this. I only wear this when I'm going out on the town because it is an overpoweringly seductive scent that is OTT for during the day imo. Will definately buy again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by drvogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This smells very similar to Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet. In other words, it's a generic oriental which is syrupy sweet and smells rather artificial. The drydown is a bit more tolerable than the opening.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2009 1:40:00 AM More reviews by Paulaschoicefan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is definitely the best perfume I have tried. I swear it got me my present job. When the interviewer sat down with me, the first he said was "Gosh you smell wonderful, I love that perfume." Hey and I got the job! A friend at work also comments everyday. She says the smell put her in a calm mood for the day, and she makes a comment when I've forgotten to wear it!!!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2009 10:41:00 PM More reviews by spikester

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I haven't had any luck with the Poison fragrances and this was no exception. I love the other Christian Dior fragrances but can not wear the Poison ones. This one smelled like a combination of incense, men's perfume and bug spray. Not a good combination!