August 1, 2014 | 1967 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2013 4:50:00 AM More reviews by FrankieStein

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Personally I loved the way the two step treatment smelled. The moisture packet that came with it on the other hand...YUCK! It smells like old lady hair products on a hot and sweaty summer day. Firstly let me inform you of my hair. I naturally have black hair, that I've been bleaching the life out of since I was 13 (currently 19) I've had my hair every color imaginable. Currently its white and silver. Well needless to say my hair is in need of repair and this stuff works! I could instantly tell the difference once I washed out the protein. I have super curly hair that I bleach every 2weeks, I deep condition every week so moisture wasn't was what I was lacking. I loved this stuff, will go out and buy the full size bottle ASAP. Side note: I used two packets of the two step treatment and one moisture packet followed by Aussie 3min miracle to mask that old lady scent. My hair is a couple inches past my shoulders, its quite porous and I have a TON of hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2012 6:02:00 PM More reviews by kristalov

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I used this about a year ago and though I liked it the first time I tried it, I didn't use it again until just now. And I love it! Why didn't I use it until now? Because I had read so much about protein overload I was afraid to. My hair is weak, dry, naturally frizzy, and brittle and I have to be honest with you....I am still confused as to how to determine whether hair needs protein or moisture. So, I cut out the protein and concentrated on moisturizing. My hair remained dry, brittle, and frizzy. (My hair is colour-treated). So I saw the Aphogee 2 Step in my cupboard and decided to try it again and I'm glad that I did! I followed the directions exactly except that after rinsing it out, I lightly shampooed and then followed with the Aphogee balancing moisturizer. After rinsing that out my hair still felt dry so I grabbed some Suave Shea Butter conditioner (bought as a cheapie for the kids) and wow! My hair feels and looks great! It actually feels healthier and stronger. I think it helped using a shampoo after rinsing and using another conditioner after the Aphogee moisturizer because the Aphogee one does not take out tangles or make hair very soft. I will definitely use this again. Turns out that it is great for soccer moms as well! ;-)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by can178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't think I've ever even written a review - but I'm just so happy with how this product worked I wanted to share. I got the 2-two pack at the beauty store for 2.99, love that price! I wanted to re-lighten the tips of my hair (naturally dark brown with a blond ombre at the tips) after a haircut cut most of the blonde out. I used one pack of this a few days before I colored with Revlon Frost & Glow, and then waited a few weeks and used one about 4 weeks after I colored. The treatment before the bleaching really helped minimize the damage, but this second treatment after the bleaching is the one that has me amazed. My tips now have almost no visible damage, instead of that straw-like texture they are just as smooth as the rest of my hair and they have much more natural bend to them again. I am really thrilled with how smooth my hair feels, and how little hair I'm shedding.

I think next time I might only use the protein treatment after the bleaching, and stick to just coconut oil to protect it during coloring.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by IfyCynthetic

I bought this product because my hair was damaged from too much heat styling. Split ends were endless and my hair looked limp. After just one usage, my hair was super soft and shiny. It was as though life has been infused into. I don't suffer breakage like I used to. Aphogee two-step protein treatment actually stops breakage. Can't wait till my next treatment.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2012 4:56:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This product did nothing for my hair and I wouldn't buy it again but not because it is a bad product, but because it isn't for me. Aphogee Two-Step is a heavy-duty protein treatment that (according to those who've been there) will pretty much rescue severely damaged hair that is breaking off. And by severely damaged I mean from bleaching, relaxers, perms, etc. Believe me, unless your hair is in extremely bad shape this treatment will make absolutely no difference in your hair's condition. It is inexpensive but very time-consuming. I used it twice and followed the instructions both times. Followed the treatment with a moisturizing, protein-free conditioner. And- nothing. As though I hadn't done anything at all.
If you're looking for a treatment that will strengthen your hair and deliver results you can see (and your hair is in okay shape to begin with), try Nexxus Emergencee. That's my favorite protein treatment, very effective. I had thought that Aphogee would work like Emergencee times ten, but I was mistaken. Don't waste your time with this product unless you really, really need it. If your hair is really that damaged, then Aphogee Two-Step might be just what you need. Others swear by it. But I won't be re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2012 5:34:00 AM More reviews by xkillerxcrushx

Wow. My hair was almost in dreadlocks it was such a tangled mess from over processing. I couldn't comb my hair without a small handful breaking off. This stuff seems to have undone all that damage. My hair isn't breaking as much, it's not tangled and it's shiny!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by lahenderson

This is it, go out and purchase it immediately! I always use MUA but this is the best product I've ever used on my hair and felt compelled to write about it. I have dark blonde hair that I bleach, darken and then bleach again way more often than I should. My hair was super sticky and dry and I could barely get my fingers through it during and after washing it. I have hard water and use Joico clarifying shampoo so my hair is also pretty beat up after that.

I didn't wash my hair first but dampened it using a spray bottle of water and then combed through it. I put the first packet on and it's not too bad but I'm not too sensitive to smell. I then sat in front of my space heater until it hardened. Make sure you let it harden completely. I then got in the shower and stood there with the water hitting it until it became soft again. At that point I smothered the moisturizer on and put some Joico moisture conditioner on it as well. Rinsed it out after 10 minutes or so and then went to bed.

Enter day two...beautiful, SOFT, healthy hair! I had breaking pieces around my face and now they just look like short pieces instead of ragged and fried.

Go get this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 1:40:00 AM More reviews by StarfighterLily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The single best thing I've ever found for repairing damaged hair. Smells bizarre during the treatment but worth it. Have a stylist who has a hot hair dryer put it on for you, gently pulling through the hair. Don't have them smush the hair even when it's wet... you want it all straight. Then without any bonnet or cotton ... just copious towels, sit under the dryer a long time till the whole head of hair is crispy. You can flop the wet ends up onto the top gently so they can dry. Then wash out (don't shampoo) and immediately apply the moisture pack for a few minutes, and rinse that out. Helps restore fine hair that suffers in processing. (Best thing in the world for bleach issues, I think.)

Don't do it a lot - once or twice a month. Use that moisture pack often, as too much protein also isn't good for your hair and you have to balance that with moisture treatments.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by Chameleon2002

Love love love this stuff! We won't go into what I did to my poor hair that left me with the dry birds nest I had but let it suffice to say that my hair was not happy with me one. little. bit. I researched the reviews about the aphogee treatment and decided to give it a go. If it didn't work I was only out $8 (I bought 2 of the little packets the first time). After I was done with the treatment, my just below shoulder length hair that would take nearly half an hour to dry on a high heat setting now only took 10 minutes. My hair felt light, smooth, and bouncy. Before I did this treatment I couldn't even run my fingers through my hair without it snagging and afterwards I had no problems (except the ends because I needed a trim). After using the balancing conditioner, I still felt that my hair needed more moisture. I absolutely love the generic brand of biolage conditioning balm sold at Sally's. Hard to get out of the bottle but so worth it.
I could care less about the packaging other than this stuff is really runny so I ended up losing half my packet the first time. Many thanks to the reviewer who said they use a spray bottle. I had one of those slap-my-forehead-why-didn't-I-think-of-that moments.
As to the smell that so many people have complained about. Yeah it doesn't smell the greatest but I've used bleach and haircolor that smelled way worse. I've smelled candles and air fresheners that smelled worse.
It is a bit on the pricey side but the bigger bottle should last people with shorter hair quite awhile.
Either way this is great stuff!Just make sure your hair truly needs protein or you may do more harm than good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by feelingcold

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best protein treatment you can get. The first time I used this it was a total hail Mary pass when my hair was literally melting. It was damaged well beyond what I thought was salvageable, so lacking in protein that when it was wet I couldn't feel individual hairs, just a uniform mush. My hair was still damaged crap after using the treatment, but I STILL HAD HAIR! I wouldn't have been able to save any of it had I used my normal salon protein treatments.
It smells gross and it's a pain to apply, but it works. I've never used another product that could add so much strength and elasticity back to my hair. It's a heavy reconstructor, made for severely damage hair. This shouldn't be used unless you know that your hair problems are due to a lack of protein. This is not a conditioner, and it will not make your hair feel soft and conditioned. If you use this on hair that is lacking moisture it will make it dry and brittle. You need to deep condition after, and you need to continue to condition with a moisturizing conditioner that doesn't contain protein.