TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.1

Active: Octinoxate 7.5, Octisalate 3, Avobenzone 3. Inactive: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate, Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60, Styrene-DVB Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethyhexyl Glycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 1/10/2014 9:41:00 AM

Love this product, it goes on easy, lasts for ages and is undetectable. My only problem is the shades, im quite fair but I feel the light gives me a pale look and Ive had comments that I look pale which isnt great for a tinted product. However I still give this a 4/5 because everything else is superb and I havent tried other colours so I cant complain too much. I shall be trying the light/medium next time tho.
This did break me out when I first started using it but I gave it rest and tried it a few more times and its stopped breaking me out so my skin must be used to it now.
If anyone has any tips on the best shade please message me. Top product

on 12/23/2013 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I like this TM very much! It's probably the best one I've tried yet. It is lightweight, so you don't feel it on your skin at all. It's also somewhat opaque, therefore it lends a little more coverage than your average TM. The consistency is perfect as it's not too watery nor is it too thick. It gives me a healthy glow without making me look like a greaseball. I have pretty good skin overall, but I get the occasional hormonal pimple. While this won't cover up blemishes, it certainly covers up any minor discolorations. The packaging is a squeeze tube, so it stays sanitary. I use my fingers to apply, as I do with all TM's simply b/c they tend to be thinner and brushes seem to eat up most of your product. I love the end result! The only con is the smell. I can't describe it, but I do not like it at all! This is my first tube, so I don't know if I got a bad bottle or what. I took a lippie off for that. If my next bottle smells better, I will change my review. Good news is, the smell dissipates quickly.

on 11/4/2013 6:21:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Wow, I really hate this. Plus it's a drugstore product so it can't be returned. Huge waste of money.

I had a really bad reaction to this tm. Thought it would be fine, that the Canadian version would be different since the SPF is blacked out on the packaging but it's not. Keep in mind that I'm horrifically sensitive to chemical sunscreen and this is loaded with it. My skin's reaction is not typical.

I could go ahead and describe the near suffocating, blistering dermatitic reaction but enough said really. If you're sensitive to sunscreen, avoid this like the freaking plague.

on 10/6/2013 8:37:00 PM

I have super dry skin and all types of foundation turn to make my skin look cakey, even bb cream and TM. The first TM I bought was from Laura Mercier and it was cakey and highlights all the dry patches on my face, it was horrible and made me terrified from all TMs. So I was skipping all the foundation steps and only do some touchups using my bobbi brown foundation stick which I also find too dry for me. I had great experience using the balm and after reading all the glory reviews about this TM I thought to give it a try. After putting it on at the counter I immediately fell in love with my skin. This feels like a layer of silk on top of skin, makes my skin feels super luxurious! I also love the adorable packagings from Thebalm, they just light up my day when I'm doing my makeup. BalmShelter is hands down another HD product from thebalm!

PS: It is tinted moisturizer so it doesn't provide much of coverage, I won't recommend it for problem skins.

on 9/15/2013 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried many, many TMs and this one is the best without a doubt. It covers well, but is light. I'm between an NC25 and an NC30 with an olive-warm undertone. The light shade is a great match. This stuff wears well, isn't greasy, and doesn't cause breakouts. Unlike Laura Mercier's TM, this one protects the skin from UVA and UVB rays. I'm on my 3rd tube already this year. It's part of my daily routine. HG status, for sure.

Highly recommended. I was sold on Laura Mercier and then decided to give this a try. This is better quality, more product, half of the price. This line will grow! Love it.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

4.5 stars

I used to have to wear full coverage foundation everywhere but now my skin is starting to improve i wanted something lighter to wear when going to the gym/running errands etc. This have a lovely dewey finish and actually has a really nice coverage. i put a thin layer all over and do a spot treatment on my cheeks for some acne scarring. It looks like your own skin but better.

on 7/13/2013 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a good product, I use it during the day and into the evening my face still looks healthy, this will be my favorite product.

on 7/7/2013 4:18:00 AM

I like this product. It's light, weightless, leaves my skin feeling almost as though no product is on it, and helps to reduce how large my pores look and cover minor blemishes. Unlike foundation, TM does not cling to dry patches of skin, and actually helps to soften skin through the moisturising properties. I do wear moisturiser under this as I don't feel it's quite moisturising enough to wear on its own.
It's almost a one stop product, though I do like to use a light dusting of mineral makeup over the top to set it and provide extra coverage if I need it.
It blends well into my skin. Most foundation I've tried turns my skin yellow or orange, fake looking. The coverage on this is so light it doesn't leave my skin looking fake or made up, which is important to me.
The price was fair, $34AUD and seems reasonable for the product, cheaper than high end products but performing closer to those than to the lower end products.
I would recommend to anyone looking to even out skin tone but who don't want very much coverage, but want to cover pores. Love it!

on 6/27/2013 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

UPDATE:
I have awarded this a 5/5, because I have come to love this product even more. Its practically perfect in every way (as Mary Poppins would say)! It never makes my face oily, never breaks me out, looks so natural and lovely, blush and bronzer go great over it, the coverage is just perfect. Really, best TM out there.
***************
Overall Rating: 4/5
SKIN BACKGROUND: Combo/Oily, acne prone, SUPER sensitive, mild scarring and discoloration, beige skin with dominant yellow undertones.
PRICE: I purchased mine from Amazon for $20
COVERAGE: For a tinted moisturizer, the coverage on this is fantastic! Light to a light-medium coverage. It evens out my skintone and makes my larger blemishes a lot less noticeable.
FINISH: The finish on this is not as dewy as most TM's, but it is not completely matte either. Its just a very natural, skin-like finish. I would say those with dry skin should wear moisturizer under this, and girls with very oily skin can skip moisturizer. I have combo, and wear just a bit of moisturizer under this.
TEXTURE: Creamy. Glides on the skin very easily
SPF: 18
LASTING POWER: This also has fantastic staying power for a TM. My skin can get oily in the T-zone area, I put this on at 10AM yesterday and it was still there when I took it off at 10PM and I only had to touch it up twice. Pretty impressive, eh?
SHADES: This is one of its downfalls. There is a light, light/medium (my shade), and a medium. The lightest shade is probably too orange for some porcelain girls, and the medium shade definitely is not deep enough for women with deeper skin tones. Light/Medium works great for me.
DID THIS BREAK ME OUT?: Nope
PACKAGING: Squeeze tube. Comes with 2.15 FL OZ., which is a lot given the fact that you only need a small amount of product for your entire face.
WOULD I REPURCHASE?: Yes!
FINAL VERDICT: I love this for the warmer months. I love my BB creams as well, but they are better suited for the winter.