L'Oreal Telescopic Clean Definition [DISCONTINUED]

3.5

on 2/6/2011 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Late in trying this out, I know it's been around for awhile. First, the cons: I like volume. My lashes are pretty long and thick naturally, but I like my mascara to make them super full and soft looking. This isn't the one to reach for if you're looking for fullness, but it doesn't claim to do that, so I'm not counting off for it (I just prefer volumizing mascaras in general.) Also, the wand is a bit flimsy, so if you're in a hurry or position it wrong, I could see it possibly bending or breaking. A sturdier "stem" would probably help.

Now for the good part: My lashes have never looked longer. They were so long, I could feel them hitting my browbone any time I turned my eyes upward. I didn't experience clumping, flaking, or smudging. I combined this with a couple other mascaras (either before or after a coat of another product), hoping I could combine the lengthening power of this with a little volume. I may try this out again after I've used up a few more mascaras down the road, as I didn't find a perfect combination this time. Even though, as I said, I prefer thickness to "defined," I would still repurchase this mascara.

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I bought this mascara because I'd heard so many great reviews on it, and because I was sick of being stuck with the Maybelline Great Lash.

I LOVE this mascara. It's very lengthening, the wand is great, and it doesn't clump. I got the color Blackest Black and it looks wonderful.

If you're interested, I recommend going out on a whim and picking this up!

I bought this stuff after seeing people rave about it on YouTube, and I love it also! It makes my lashes look so long without clumping up too much and its easy to remove with makeup remover. love it:)

on 1/21/2011 4:12:00 PM

Great for an everyday mascara. Lasts a very long time and gives a lot of bang for the buck. It lengthens and darkens nicely. For special occasions, going out, dates, etc, you should probably use a nicer, higher-end product. However, for everyday use it's the best you can get for cheap

on 1/20/2011 12:25:00 AM

overall a good mascara. indeed gives very defined and "slim-looking" lashes. didn't experience any clumping at all. the wand makes application super easy and enjoyable!

however, this mascara would be perfect if it could provide more volume.

on 1/17/2011 12:28:00 AM

I think this product is really a good buy! Although I don't have puny lashes I still see the difference when I apply this product. This also doesn't flake, it stays on my lashes even if I tear up for a bit. But for me this mascara is not that dark and does not define my lashes quite well. I like the wand because it's small so I can even get to my lashes near the inner corner of my eye. Over all, I am satisfied with this product and I use it on a normal day. :)

on 12/18/2010 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This mascara is suppose to be very lengthening and give you definition. I am amazingly impressed with the lengthening part, it makes it so you can actually see my not so short asian lashes under my huge monolid. Idk about the definition though. While I have semi-long lashes hidden under a monolid(that isn't anymore, thanks to this mascara!) I don't have much volume. While this doesn't clump my lashes or clump at all(it's the PERFECT consistency between wet and dry) it makes my lashes look like I have less, I guess that's just because of he defining part. I love the brush, it's slender and bendable. It has the rubber bristles, but unlike most of the bristles that are rubber, these are kinda like triangular spikes that are widish at the bottom and come to a point. I find that this brush makes it very easy to coat my lashes and get even the short ones, but it isn't easy to brush through them without getting more mascara on them. I have to use a spoolie. The price is fine for a drugstore. Other than the two flaws I described, I think this mascara is great!

on 12/2/2010 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

This mascara does nothing for my eyelashes... Does not add volume or length, it just doesn't work for me!

on 11/24/2010 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This would be my first review here on makeupalley.
OK.
So I've been meaning to complete my "everyday makeup kit" in the last 2 months or so and the Telescopic Clean was one of the first items I got.
If you're in the Philippines, this is about PHP495, about USD10. For a third world country, it is a bit pricey. If you are a student, spend the 495 on school stuff.
I'm going to go through each of the product claims:
1. Defined Length = I have mid-length lashes. Not too short and not too long (I wish) and it's not that curled. I curl my lashes and it gets pretty but not prettier, so a mascara was definitely something I needed. After putting about 2 coats of the Telescopic, I have to say, my lashes looked longer and it didn't clump. I seriously believe that 50% of the outcome of your lashes depends on how you curl and put the mascara on, which in this case isn't really a problem since the wand and the brush makes it easy to apply. The length was not over the top but I did get compliments such as: "Wow.Your false eyelashes are pretty" ME: Uh..It's just my lashes; "What do you have on your lashes, it is GOOD" ME: Telescopic Clean; "Borrow neuronshots mascara, it's good" ME: Uh..no.
Now, I originally thought that Telescopic Clean would work only on mid to full length lashes but my friend/officemate/seatmate snuck through my stuff and used my Telescopic. She's Chinese-Filipino with short lashes by the way.
Next thing I knew, she was asking for my Telescopic since it made a lot of difference for her lashes.
Again, its not over the top but it did create defined length. Like about 2 to 3 times length. And no, I did not give her my Telescopic and I told her that what she did was the most horrible thing she could do to me.
How unhygienic!

2. 24hr Clean Wear Mascara = So this doesnt really translate to "Waterproof", maybe close, but not exactly. Now we all hate mascaras that give us racoon/panda eyes after 2 hours. I'm not sure what Clean Wear meant until I accidentally rubbed my eyes. I kind of screamed inside after realizing what I just did but lo and behold NO SMUDGE. Even when you try to touch your lashes, no debris comes off after looking at your fingertips. It's not Waterproof but it's clean wear. Perfect! So onto the 24hr part. I'm usually made up at around 9 in the morning, that includes Telescopic. I'm usually home at 11pm after de-stressing for 5 hours. When I go home and look at the mirror, the curl is still there, and my lashes and undereyes are clean EXCEPT for my lids. I have oily lids. So at the end of the day, I'll see a black line/debris along my crease (lids). It's not scary or horrible but it shows that this product is not perfect, technically, because of my oily lids. Product migrates to my oily lids after 8-9 hours without retouching or looking at the mirror. I've yet to try on some primer and then we'll see. But this doesn't bother me since I kind of check my lids every 3 hours. It's a habit.

So back to the 24hr claim, the longest I can stay up is at 3 am and guess what, no smudges.No debris.No flakes.Clean wear like it says from 8am to 3am!
I'm not sure about the complete 24 hours. I'm not going to stay up for 24 hours to see if it really does what it claims. But for all those hours that I've been up, it stays GOOOD.

3. High Precision Flexible Brush = The brushes are spaced enough to separate your lashes and define them. It easy to brush on the inner and outer corner lashes and best of all, it's easy to use for better precision on lower lashes. The brush is flexible which means you can bend it without breaking or deforming it. So AMEN to the brush.

Other things to note: It's easy to wash off. Water is basically what you need. The packaging, which Im not crazy about because the silver coat makes it look cheap, actually helps in preventing product to clump on the brush. So when you bring the wand out, it's not messy. It does have some smell that could bother some people, it did bother me at first. It smelled like alcohol, but hasnt bothered me now.

Note that it's not volumising and it never claimed to be one. And I don't really like a pair of pumped lashes during the day or on ordinary days. I want a separate lengthening mascara, volumising mascara and an all around mascara.
All in all. When it comes to my everyday mascara, this is HG. My search for Lengthening Mascara is over. I've been using this for 2 months and I will cry a red sea if L'oreal ever decides to discontinue this product.

Do remember that what works for me and for my friend/seatmate/officemate might not work for you, but I doubt this product would fail anyone. Remember curl and brush your lashes well.Wiggle the wand if you must.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara is good for lengthening your lashes, but can clump up if you are not careful (yes, even after getting rid of the excess at tip of wand). It is definitely not a mascara that can be applied in under a minute or two.

I would not recommend trying this mascara if you're looking for length AND volume. If you do seek volume and length and already own this product, it can easily be layered with a volumizing mascara with good results.

Popular Mascaras