September 21, 2014 | 2040 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I found that this powder sunscreen has both good points and bad points. And my review is technically for the SPF 45 version with the yellow label, but I don't think there's actually much difference in the two, so I didn't want to make a new listing.
I like that I can take this with me in my bag, and that I can re-apply it easily and quickly due to the powder formula and built-in brush. It looks a little messy because I can see powder residue inside the cap, but it doesn't seem to leak powder inside my bag or actually make a mess (but I haven't really put it to the test). I like that it's easy to put on over my makeup, and that it's so quick and simple that my husband will let me 'dust' his face as well. I do *NOT* think that this product actually gives me proper SPF 45 protection from the sun. No, not at all. I would never use this as my only or even as my primary sun protection. I always use a good sunscreen daily - this is just to bring with me and add a tiny bit more protection, and neutralize a bit of shine when I'm out and about. Re-applying a proper sunscreen would be better, and that's what I do when I'm really going to be out in the sun. But if I'm just walking around town, or strolling down the sea-side, to be honest, the chances of me stopping and rubbing sunscreen into my face is just about zero. Dusting my face with powder, on the other hand, is easy, and I'll actually do it.
I really wish the brush was higher quality. It's a bit scratchy, and doesn't feel good on my skin. I'm also not sure why they included little sparkly particles in it ... fortunately, this doesn't seem to actually show up on my skin. Especially if you're going to be photographed, it can give you a bit of a white glow from the zinc. Personally, I'm not photographed that often, and my favorite daily sunscreen has zinc anyhow, so this isn't really something I mind.
I don't think the skin-care ingredients make any difference - it's not doing anything besides just sitting on top of your skin anyhow. But I also haven't found that this mineral powder sunscreen breaks me out, nor does it irritate my sensitive skin, so that's positive.
I don't like that you probably can't wash the brush ... or at least, I don't want to try. I think if I get the brush wet, all the powder will just stick and clump on it and make a big mess. But this is also a product that you use when you're out and about, and you use the brush directly on your face with will definitely have oils and possibly sweat and dirt. I would like it if you could remove the brush part, wash it properly, allow it to dry completely, and then re-attach it.
I've heard people express concern about breathing in the powder. I just hold my breath while dusting my face (it only takes a few seconds) and then slowly exhale. I figure by the time I inhale again, I'm not going to be breathing powder.
I have indicated that I would buy this product again, and this is mainly because, for all its faults, using something like this actually means that I *will* touch-up my sunscreen mid-day. That's a good thing, even if the product isn't idea.
Once I've used this up, I plan to investigate other options, but for the moment, though not thrilled, I am satisfied.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by shoppingjie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm not sure how effective it is as a sunscreen but I like how convenient it is. It's so easy to use and the powder is perfect for fair skin. I feel like I'm at least doing something to protect myself from the sun.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by luckylauram

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I do love this powder for spf touchups during the day but that is about it.

The powder feels unnecessarily heavy on my face and the powder seems to go everywhere including on my eyebrows so I look goofy! The brush is very rough and after a year of using this, I just learned that you can make the brush go into the packaging so you won't ruin the bristles (which I already have). Finally the bristles break off a lot and end up all over your face.

I hope someone else comes out with a similar powder that has better packaging and a better formula.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 1:32:00 PM More reviews by cakie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this while it was on sale @ sephora with the extra 20% off. I liked the concept that powder inside a brush, with SPF 30. What a dream comes true :P It supposed to make touch up easier and add that extra spf protection on the side. However, the brush hair is very cheaply made. Not only it shreds a lot, but it is also very rough. It was like patting my face with a sand paper. I tried to do it with a lighter hand, but umm.. I saw no powder comes out from the brush at all. Too bad I really liked the idea of the powder. I had no problem on putting the brush back in the cap, all you have to do is just pull the bottom part down. I ended up put the powder in a separate jar.

As of the powder itself, it is pretty finely milled. But the color is quite dark & orange IMO. I'm NC25, and it makes me looks somewhat light tanned. Still look healthy, but it's winter right now, so I would rather look soft white than tanned. Keep in mind, their is expiration date on the bottom of the tube. So I'm gonna try to finish it or I will just toss it. Not bad for only $8, but I would definitely not paying the full price tag of $30 for this thing.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2009 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Leslie2877

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The concept of this is absolutely brilliant. I have the one that is SP45 though. I find the color of the powder to be too light for my skin tone (I wear NW43 in Mac Studio Fix and Chestnut in Chanel foundation). It makes me look like I just finished walking through a dust cloud. I am seriously considering returning this and getting the watermelon stick from Korres instead, but I do love the convenience of this and the fact that I can just swipe it over my makeup. Boo! Decisions decisions...

* Tip: After you are finished using, you have to pull the bottom down. It's a little tricky to do, but that will make the brush go down so you can recap without damaging it.

Oh, and Peter, if you are reading this, please make it in more shades (at least 4- fair, tan, deep, and dark). This way you cover many people. Thanks! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't know about blocking the sun, but I'll tell you what this product does better than any other I ever tried: keep the oilies at bay. I got this as a gratis when I worked at Sephora, and since I don't generally like mineral powders much, I never paid it much attention. Then I went on vacation and took this with me. I used this on top of Revlon's mousse mineral foundation (which I also like very much). In spite of the roasting heat, my usually oily skin kept looking matte. After that, I started wearing this over some tinted moisturizers I have. You all know what I think of tinted moisturizers. Well, I used this powder over Stila's TM, which usually leaves me a shiny slick in no time flat. And lo and behold, my skin kept matte ... for hours! I also tried Instant Mineral alone, as a setting powder over foundation, over regular moisturizer. And every time my skin held. Even in hot temperatures. Also, in spite of its blotting properties, you won't look like an Egyptian mummy. It does not look dry and powdery at all.

Coverage is non-existent, so if like me, you are looking for coverage, forget this. But honestly, ladies, it works miracles as a mattifying (or setting) powder. And because it is so sheer and has practically no color, it can be used over anything.

Package could definitely use some work. The brush is terrible. It sheds like mad and it feels rough to the skin. Also, I have to shake the container like a fiend to get the product out, although it's not HALF as bad as Bare Esenctual's Natural Sunscreen (same idea as this). BE is really bad. Another caveat is the price: $30 for a small tube of powder is rather an effrontery, IMHO. I was fortunate I got it free. For that reason I gave it 4 lippies.

In short: if you have oily skin and you want something that will keep you matte but won't look like cement on your face, reach for this powder. It's worked wonders for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2009 7:09:00 AM More reviews by KatieA

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like the idea of sunscreen in powder form, but the bottle was terrible. My biggest complaint is the packaging. You use it by shaking it then applying. It closes when you pull the bottom part down and the brush retracts so you can place the cap back on. When I first purchased this, the bottom part was stubborn and would not go down. Finally I pulled hard enough and it came off and much of the powder came out of it. I had to return it. I thought it was just that one, so I bought a new one. This time the bottom part still won't go down, but I'm nervous about pulling too hard and breaking it again.
I really don't care for the sunscreen. It is supposed to be translucent, but I get a sort of fake tan look with it on. That could be because I am so fair that it just shows up that way. Also, my skin is not sensitive, but the powder makes it itchy. It either dispenses too much or none at all when I shake it. That can explain the itching because if too much powder is on me it makes my skin itch. I wish this came in a pressed powder because then I could have more control. I am not going to bother returning this one because it's summer and it's better for me to avoid lotions and creams and stick with lighter weight products anyway. I just try to use as little as possible.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 9:17:00 AM More reviews by dstamnitz2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a review of PTR Instant Mineral SPF 30 (brush- on powder). I love this stuff! I wear it over an SPF 15 tinted moisturizer and it provides extra SPF without irritating my skin. In fact, because of the zinc, it calms my skin down. I cannot wear most of the chemical sunscreens, so a good titanium dioxide one that doesn't go on goopy and white is what I want. Some folks have complained about the packaging, but I use mine every day and haven't had any problems. I like that the powder comes out easily. I plan to buy it again when this tube runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 12:26:00 PM More reviews by ValleyGirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'll buy it again, but until they improve the packaging, I will still be annoyed with it.

First thing, the product is wonderful. It definitely works for everyday usage. I wouldn't count on it as my only protection for a full day out in the sun, but that's fine. It doesn't break me out, which is a miracle. I like the brush and once I figured out how the retraction worked, all was well.

However, the cap breaks if you breathe on it wrong. Ugh. I basically have to keep mine in a baggy since the cap is utterly useless. Stronger! Thicker! Sturdier! Come on, PTR, the technology exists!!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by dshaas

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Used it for less than two weeks - pulled the brush back in as directed - and it came apart, spewing powder all over the place. Took it back to Sephora, where they told me I was not the first person with the problem. Traded it for Bare Minerals light - much better package design. Like the sunscreen powder.