July 24, 2014 | 2192 users online

Eyeliner - Kanebo - KATE Gel Eye Liner

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2009 2:44:00 AM More reviews by nashiyah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have BK-3

It's very black and dry when I use it I must put water on it
but It really good for me

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2009 4:21:00 AM More reviews by pertiegurlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE:
Ok, I don't know if I should SHARE this here, since apparently (according to my mom) microwaves *might* be cancer-causing...but you know, we use it for our food and everything, so..yeah. At ur own risk, ok?
Ok. If you wanna make this go on REALLY smooth and perfect and flawless, or if the gel liner dried up before you could even finish it, here's what can help.
I did this tonight on a hunch, and it worked well, so I'm putting this out there. I hope it doesn't give me cancer! Haha.
Ok. I put my container of kate gel liner in the microwave oven (FIRST take off the plastic lid, ok?). Then I set the microwave for 20 seconds. Then I leave the kitchen. Then I come back.
And voila! Gel liner is beautiful and wondrous once more! Actually, it goes on even better than it initially did, it's just perfection.
On a recent trip to Japan, I picked this up at a drugstore. The price translated to about ten to fifteen dollars (can't remember exactly), which is excellent.

I got it in BU-1 (a lovely dark blue, with microscopic shimmer) & pretty much adore the colour. On my brown eyes, it works really well.

The formula isn't dry/crumbly & it isn't whipped cream either. Always wet your brush before dipping it into the liner, it just won't work otherwise. It goes on smoothly, looks dark, rich, matte & Angelina-Jolie-esque, lasts throughout the day. I mean, I go swimming with this stuff on (cuz I'm crazy like that).

By the way, for those people who like to smudge their liner slightly (more natural-ish, dontcha know), don't worry, "lasts" does not equal "un-blurrable." You can do that with this thing, it's not liquid liner, just do it fast before it dries. And the best part is, once you smudge it, it'll stay smudged, it won't mysteriously vanish into the ether during the day without even a little *poof* sound effect to let you know, like every other liner out there.
There are some reviews here that say it DOESN'T last...and I dunno..it does with me...so uh..? Am I special? Maybe I use more than the other reviewers do, or maybe I was born under a lucky star.

A teensy dot of it on the brush goes a loong way, so even though they give you the tiniest PLOP of liner in the jar (shameful), it can last you for a year. By the way, you can use this on your waterline & it won't irritate you. I wear contacts & have sensitive eyes yet I do it all the time with no problem.

The brush must be praised. It's great quality. Small, rounded off, really gets into all the spaces between your lashes. I'm a winged-liner gal, and this brush gives me magnificently lined eyes. It can be subtle or va-va-voom, depending on the side of brush you use...it's so so GOOD.
The buy was worth it for the brush alone.

Rating 3/5--one lippie off for the minimal helping they give you (tsk tsk)...one off for the packaging (too much pointless plastic...bad for the planet)...and one off becaause...you can only find it in South-east Asia. Is that unfair?

But really, that trip to Japan was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and already I'm wishing I'd stocked up on this product. They should definitely expand their line to my country, AT LEAST. Sniff.

All in all, good buy, if you're off to Japan DEFINITELY pick this up. If not for yourself, for your niece, or your next-door neighbour.

(She will love you for it, but might secretly start cursing you under their breath after a while, because of course, owning the perfect eyeliner is akin to having tried the perfect strawberry cheesecake in a little French cafe, so now going back to ordinary cheesecakes/eyeliners is nigh impossible. Once you've seen the light, all else becomes darkness, etc. etc., and once it runs out, dammit, where will she get her fix?!!!)

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2009 10:26:00 PM More reviews by clairenlj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this in BK-1, the pure matte black.

The colour is awesome! Its really black-black, not some washed out grey-black. It goes on smoothly and I find that the brush that is provided with it is sufficient enough for me (I haven't tried any other brushes).

However I have semi-oily eyelids, and this liner tends to smudge a little after some time. Other than that, its worth the price I paid :)

I'm still looking for my HG eyeliner though!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2009 1:38:00 AM More reviews by sg00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Downed to 4 lippies because the product starts to dry up after a few months and it gets harder to apply. It still has the same color and lasting power, but a crumblier consistency upon application. I'll keep repurchasing, since nothing (and I mean NOTHING) lasts on my bottom lash line w/o smearing, except this. END UPDATE. I have this in PU-1, a gorgeous DARK purple. This product is my turn to for special events, since it lasts like crazy and complements my brown eyes. HG! The eyeliner brush that comes with this is just amazing as well. It's the only liner brush I'll use now, since it provides such precision with the least amount of pain :P

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2008 3:22:00 AM More reviews by evie1121

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've heard all the raves about this product. And finally got a chance to get it on my recent trip to Hong Kong. It retails for us $12.

I bought the GN-1, since it was a new color and the most unique from their color line up. I was intrigued by the brush (from reading previous reviews) which was decent. I still preferred my Jane brush.

The color is very unique, at first glance i thought oh it's a matte dark green shade. After applying it and looking at myself in the mirror i notice micro shimmers that showed up; very pretty.

It's very different than my previous gel e/l experiences (jane, f/l, BB's ink, Maquillage). It applied dryer than f/l.

here's a pic of Kate on my eyes:

pic of the gel eyeliner

and a swatch of it:

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2008 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Aster66

Im using the flat black colour. the colour is natural, not very dramatic black thus suitable for everyday use. love it so much! the soft creamy texture and the brush is very fool-proof, enable fast and easy application. it does smudge a little after some time but quite lasting overall. I have been using it for quite long, when the gel dry off, it will flake abit. Update: you cant use this after you applied the eyeshadow since the colour/gel cant stay on top of the shadow at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by detanele

So this is my first venture into the world of gel liners, and I'm loving it. I have it in BK-1, black.

The liner itself is in a cute little frosted glass pot with a black screw on lid. A liner brush is supplied with a plastic tubing to protect the bristles, and all of this is packaged in a recyclable plastic box. The pot is small and shallow, and even though it doesn't look like much, it will last.

The liner is very versatile, and so is the brush. You can get a soft, subtle line quite close to your lashes to define for a natural look, but it's also possible to build up a dark, bold line for a dramatic look. If you smudge straight after application, you can get a smoky look, but this liner sets quickly and you won't get far once it does.

The lasting power is very good. It can last you the day, and is very resistant to smudging. I've tested this by drawing a thick, bold line on the back of my, left it for a few minutes, and tried to smudge it. It took a lot of pressure (far more than you should be putting on your eyes!) to budge, and barely did so then. It does not run under water, but won't stand up to both water and rubbing at the same time. Despite how resilient this liner is, it's easy to remove with a decent eye make up remover.

Because the texture is pretty solid, there can be some minor flaking, but this can be minimized if you don't pile it onto the brush.

It's a good, long lasting liner, and ideal for anyone who wants to try out gel liners for the first time: it's relatively cheap, comes with a brush, and is easy to handle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2008 7:48:00 AM More reviews by strawbit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The reviews below are really helpful in description. To add a little more: IMHO, the texture is thicker but creamier than MAC's Fluidlines. It also stays on longer with no flaking compared to the latter. One major disappointment is it smudges under my eyes when it comes in contact with tears. Two colors I have are GN-1 - a deep "military" (moss) green and BU-1 very dark blue (almost black). Both have matte finishes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2008 1:00:00 AM More reviews by cyndi1218

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just love this product so much. It is most-loved make up item! It is packed in a small sturdy jar and although it seems like it has very little quantity in it, believe me, it can definitely last you for a long time since we only need a little amount of it for each application. I have two of the colours available, BK-1(black) and BR-1(shimmery brown). I personally love BR-1 more, it is good for nude looks and lining lower lash line! BK-1 is a dark black which is a normal and staple colour for everyone. I have pretty oily eyelids and I am staying in a hot and humid country but this eyeliner doesn't budge or smudge at all! It just stays put for very very long hours. Thumbs up! It is easy to apply and almost foolproof for me. I have used MAC fluidline before and I find that I make many mistakes with it, but I do not have this problem with Kate gel liner at all. It comes with a brush as well, and what can I say is, it is the best eyeliner brush that I have ever used. Easy to use and can line thick or thin line easily. It also dries faster compared to MAC fluidline. The only downside is it tends to flake sometimes and might dry fast in the jar for some people(although I don't have this problem, but my friends find it got dried after sometime). I just love this product so much and highly recommend everyone to buy it! I would not say that it is pricey since it can last you for a long time. Not dirt cheap as well but definitely affordable.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2008 4:47:00 AM More reviews by Helen031

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, it comes with the brush, but that's about all I really like about this product. It's been about six months since I bought this and now it's really hard, dry, and crumbly. And I always replace the cap immediately and tightly after use. I prefer Bobbi Brown and MAC even though they're more expensive. Will not buy this again. I got this in Black.