September 2, 2014 | 1249 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by marileab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I generally like Paula's products, and I needed a new moisturizer. After looking at the reviews here, I decided to try a sample of this moisturizer in my last order instead of ordering the full-size product. While I think this is a good moisturizer for my slightly oily skin that gets a bit dry in the winter, the smell was too much for me. I usually don't use scented products on my face, and though this isn't scented, the smell was a bit overwhelming. I like the product formulation--the lotion was light but moisturizing. The dry patches I used it on weren't dry in the morning. But I wouldn't buy this product again because of the smell.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 3:40:00 AM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Eeeeeewww, this moisturiser stinks so bad!! I opened a sample sachet and could only use it once. I also think it made my face break out due to silicones… But I really can't evaluate it any further, because I just can't get past the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2009 5:05:00 AM More reviews by 3dogsnight73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

this is great for oily skin or for summer. it's very light and has great ingredients. it does stink but customer service stated they are working on that.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 1:54:00 PM More reviews by regina1981

I have been using this product for years and I absolutely love it!!! It does smell funny, but that doesn't bother me. To tell you the truth, I don't even notice it anymore. My husband does and he comments on it almost every night. No else gets as close to my face as he does so I don't worry about it. I have oily/combination skin; it’s oily in the summer, combination through the fall and winter. I live in Minnesota where the weather changes drastically with the seasons. I use this product differently throughout the year. During the winter and fall, I layer it under another moisturizer with sunscreen in the morning and with Paula's Super Antioxidant Concentrate at night. When the temperature gets below zero I use an inexpensive emollient product, like Ponds Dry Skin Cream, to really "lock in" the antioxidants. In the summer, if I use a moisturizer at night, I use this alone.

I think this product is reasonably priced. I would probably pay more for it since it works so well for me.

I can live with the smell and the price, but Paula needs to do something about the packaging. I love that this product comes with a pump and cap. But the pumps and caps are of such poor quality! I never know how much lotion I'm going to get at a time. In fact, one of the three bottles in my last order doesn't even work. The caps always crack (I just throw them away). I love the product, but the packaging needs some work.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2009 1:33:00 PM More reviews by jmltan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I OWN the "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" book and I treat it like a skin care bible. I rarely use products unless they have been reviewed by Paula. I have always told myself that in order for me to be objective, I should never buy Paula's Choice as there may be a conflict of interest for the product maker to be the reviewer as well.

I was right.

I ran out of choices for nighttime moisturizers so I decided to try this product. Liked the texture, and I didn't really believe the reviews on Makeupalley about the smell. This morning I put this on my face, and when I applied to the upper lip, the smell was so strong that I almost threw up! I had to quickly put on my Aveeno positively ageless daily moisturizer to mask the smell.

The review in the book should be amended to warn readers that there is a foul smell to this product. Although being the product maker why would Paula do this. Another alternative is to consider using fragrance.

I am returning this to the Canadian distributor for Paula's Choice. When I called their toll free customer support I was told something like "if you broke the seal you can't return it.... because we can't resell it" I had to go to the LiveChat on the cosmeticscop.ca website to clarify that I could indeed return the product.

I also wrote to Bryan Barron at Beautypedia to inform him about the smell. This is the exact email response I received: "Thanks for your comments. We won't be changing the review in the book. This product smells fine to us and the thousands of people who purchase it each month. You're certainly welcome to return it as per our 100% satisfaction guarantee."

While it is totally justified for me to return this product, the maker (s) of this product obviously need to fix their sense of smell, or refrain from using the word "fragrance-free" on a product that I can only imagine its rightful place being in the kitchen trash along with similar smelling items. To the "thousands" of users of this product, I must say I am amazed your tolerance level for smell.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 9:30:00 AM More reviews by sakecat22

She must have reformulated this recently. The scent of the lotion I received isn't bad. Very subtlely herbal, if that.

This is a very straightforward moisturizer for oily skin. Between this and the 1% BHA - my skin has looked better than it has....ever. I am using this combination as a night treatment. The next morning, my skin feels....normal. Not greasy or oily or grungy. Big fan of this line.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by midorisour

I am the type of gal that's willing to try anything in the name of beauty, but I cannot use this. I purchased three samples from her website. I was aware of the scent and thought it really can't be *that* bad. Well, it is. It makes the moisturizer completely unwearable. I always do a test on my neck to check for any reactions. The texture was nice and light. More of a liquidy moisturizer. It sinks in the skin fast and feels refreshing, but OMG... the smell! IMO, it smells like coleslaw dressing and yes, it lingers in full strength with no signs of fading away.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2009 9:50:00 AM More reviews by raych

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To be blunt, this is the most disgusting thing I have ever put on my face. After hearing people sing the praises of Paula, I was excited to try her products. I purchased her three-step line for oily skin and planned to try it when my current products ran out. This morning, I ran out of my moisturizer, so I tried this lotion.

I don't understand how it could possibly be described as light. It felt like I was applying crisco to my face. And the smell...I can't describe it, but it was so putrid that I actually gagged. I had to grab my regular cleanser and wash it off within minutes of putting it on. I am not terribly sensitive to odors, but this was not something I could have gone through the day wearing. I know that Paula is anti-fragrance, but really this could use something.

I am willing to try the rest of Paula's products, but this will never touch my face again. And I'm much more skeptical about the rest of the line now.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2009 5:43:00 PM More reviews by rocksteadyb

This is a good moisturizer if you have combo/oily skin as it is pretty lightweight...I goes on well, absorbs quickly, and yes, it does have a *slight* smell, but It seems to go away quickly ( I must have started to use this stuff after they reformulated it, because I've never found it to be as bad as some reviewers have said) I use this most of the year, but I do however keep a heavier moisturizer around for those times in the winter when my skin needs something more. It has never seemed to break me out or make me oily in anyway. I also find this is the perfect base to my Stila Oil Free TM in SPF 30...make my TM go on super smooth and lasts all day. If your looking for a heavy duty moisturizer, then this isn't it...However, if your like me with Oily/Combo skin and want a nice, lightweight formula, then I think this stuff if great!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2008 9:54:00 PM More reviews by curlytexan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a DSNW on Baumann's scale with rosacea. Bottom line, this moisturizer did not live up to its name--it wasn't moisturizing at all. Especially for the winter and I live in TX where we have mild winters. The packaging is good but there is not a lot of product for what you pay. This moisturizer was a disappointment which is not my experience with other PC products.