September 21, 2014 | 2012 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by msaqib

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very problematic skin, with cystic and deep acne. I applied this product after moisturizing my skin, and then let it set for a couple of minutes as I went about getting ready for a party. Afterwards, I applied the Studio Tech foundation from MAC, and really, all my spot vanished !!
My skin appeared smooth and the makeup stayed perfect even after a good 6 hours had passed. I would definately recomment this as a primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by bcardwell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is my current primer....still searching. I dont like that it has silicone in it....I was using Tarte's Recreate, but it was too hydrating...
I like "the present", but the cones in it cause the oil I produce to just sit on face as a layer....anyway, its better for me than smashbox...

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2011 7:21:00 PM More reviews by chaneal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product didn't work for me at all :( It only left my skin super smooth...but that only lasted for like 10 minutes. It also broke me out a little. I really wanted it to work but I had to return it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/19/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by mirapark

I was looking for a new primer since I ran out of my Make Up Forever one a long time ago and decided to try this one from Philosophy. I went to Ulta without anything in mind and the lady suggested this one for me, she put some on the back of my hand and I loved the way it made my hand feel and look. Since the back of my hands can get pretty dry, I liked how it filled in the little dry cracks on the back of my hand and looked so moist! So I was sold, it was considerably cheaper ($25) than the ones I were looking at from Benefit & Smash box and came with more or just as much amount of product.

However, the results were a different story... The direction tells you to apply this right after all your skincare routine then wait 2 full minutes for the product to soak in and seal the moisturizer before applying your foundation. So, I waited (more than 2 minutes actually) and then applied my usual foundation (Make Up Forever HD foundation in #127) with a synthetic brush. I didn't notice anything too special, as it claims to make your skin look "flawless" and "air-brushed."But I DID notice some flaking around my eye area, cakey-ness around my nose, and uneven application on my nose.

This problem was still there even when I tried applying the foundation with my hands instead of the brush and even tried to apply less of the product to prevent the "flaking" and the "peeling." None of those methods worked for me, I thought it would get better throughout the day and it did just a little.

Personally, I think my foundation looks better when I apply it without this "primer."

PROS:
1. It smells nice, like lavender
2. The soothing properties in the product apparently helps calm your skin at night
3. A little goes a long way, you don't need too much

CONS:
1. It peels off your face if you rub the foundation in too much
2. Doesn't really help your face look flawless or air-brushed
3. Cakes around your nose and under my eye
4. Hard to apply evenly around the nose
5. It didn't really help me control my oil
6. No SPF / sun protection

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2011 2:14:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin...but it does need to be moisturized...so I use shea butter on my skin at night after cleaning, by morning it is all absorbed, and i can wash my face again (usually Murad or Dr. Bronners Tea Trea Oil soap) and my skin not be dry. I use this as my "moisturizer" in the morning prior to makeup application. I does fill in "holes" minimally, but for those of you that wear makeup, and have very oily skin, its just moisturizing enough to calm the skin, and base your makeup. I find that I am less oily throughout the day using this routine (as opposed to a regular moisturizer) and my makeup may stay on a little longer than usual (not that I can tell because I do not touch up during the day, only sparingly if I plan on going out after work). Overall...I think it does its job...I have a friend that has very dry skin, and she uses this after moisturizer, and she absolutely loves it as well, perfect for no makeup, or makeup wearers.

It claims that it will reduce some redness so your skin looks like you have makeup on, I cannot comment on this because my skin does not get red very often.

I think I have pretty sensitive skin (if I dont follow my cleaning routine) and this as NEVER broken me out....ive also used tons of different makeup techniques and brands, and it works seamlessly with all of them.

It sucks that its $25 a pop...but when I run out I will def repurchase because its great for everyday use...with that said...I dont use it everyday because I swtich between like 5 different makeup routines.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2011 7:59:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this is a primer worth trying if you have oily or acne prone skin. It's supposed to be best under powder makeup but I wear it over Estee Lauder's Doublewear (which I also often mix with Illuminare's liquid mineral foundation), and I've still gotten a good finish with it.

If you've got big pores or even shallow acne scars, this stuff is REALLY good at smoothing over those little crevices. In fact, a couple of months ago I had this awful little depression in my face that I just could not cover, but I'd dip a toothpick in this stuff and I'd fill it in with that, then after it dried I'd layer on the makeup and it actually worked (this was the deepest acne scar I've ever had, but it was probably still considered shallow, and when I tried this technique with the real shallow ones it didn't work so well). Also, I don't wear powder, so this stuff gives my makeup way longer staying power and it definitely seems to keep the shine from overwhelming my face.

One thing I noticed though, is that this stuff dried out and irritated my skin when I was on accutane, so I would definitely test it first if you have sensitive or dry skin (lavender is a known irritant).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by debra5552000

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this as a primer under liquid foundation. I often have long days where I want my foundation to look fresh as long as possible. I find using this product keeps my under eye concealer and liquid foundation in place longer. It has never been cakey on me. I love all of Philosophy's products but most of them seem overpriced to me. This one is worth the $20.00 for the tube, especially if you compare to the cost of other primers.

It doesn't do miracles, it's just a good primer.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2011 6:06:00 PM More reviews by jenniferhearts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is the perfect primer to use before using any mineral based powder makeup. However, when used before any liquid, stick, or pot makeup, beware!!! The makeup turns cakey on the face and does not smooth out. But this is primer works very well before using mineral makeup (bare minerals, sheer cover, etc.). It evens and smooths out your skin's texture. It also helps keep the mineral makeup on throughout the day. When I was using sheer cover, I used this product. It toned down my redness on my face also. It made my face very light in color, not very alive looking. You will need a highlighter or luminator to brighten up your face after using. It serves a purpose, but is not multi-purpose. I would buy this again if I went back to using mineral makeup.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by starspex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Oct 2011: I'm so glad I used my initiative & asked for a sample of this at Boots instead of just taking the plunge and buying on a whim. This is a mediocre product to me. It provides somewhat of a smooth surface but only helps my foundation look matte for about 45mins or so before oil breakthrough (by the time i've left home & arrived at work I'm already passed 'dewy' territory.)

Admittedly I have oil prone skin & it has been hot in the UK over the past week but in my mind those a the ultimate test drive conditions to see if such a product lives up to it's mattifying claims & this failed for me.

On the upside I'd say the presentation, packaging & size are decent for the RRP it's going for at £22.

I've ordered Pop Beauty's Face Magnet as another reviewer suggested it instead & I've since read numerous raves. Here's hoping it lives up to the claims for me. I'll be sure to do a review on that once I own it & have test driven.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2011 7:32:00 PM More reviews by boogie1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this for a week, even with the mixed reviews I bought this. This does not work for my oily skin, nothing with the pores and fine lines. I am just not impressed with the product. The price is great. I am still looking for the best primer for my very, very oily skin with visible pores. I have tried smashbox, be, sephora, lg, hourglass, etc. This did not though break me out, but I was oily 2 hrs after putting this on.