August 22, 2014 | 1612 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Tom Ford Black Orchid

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 10:00:00 PM More reviews by morganlayne_h

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Just... no. Not for me. This was a very strong, spicy floral on me. It smelled a lot more, shall we say mature, than how I would like to smell (for reference I'm 25). The incense/patchouli/sandalwood notes were very prominent for me and mixed with the floral notes in a very unpleasant way. My husband summed it up best: it smelled like the potpourri aisle in a Michael's craft store.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2010 6:40:00 PM More reviews by shelju

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I just got back from the mall and wanted to give this a try because I really like unique sensual fragrances (usually woody orientals). Well this is indeed unique and in some ways sensual. It really does need to be sampled on the skin and not a paper strip. It changes ALOT. Starts out kinda strong, for me it was an instant turn off . . .then it settled into this really warm sensual sweetness. Then just as I was about to put this on my short list of "gotta gets". . . all I could smell was DIRT, TREE BARK, all those woody things that I DO NOT want to smell like. Very disappointing because I actually thought i may have found "my scent" but in the end there is just too much woods in the soul for me. Same thing happend with Versace Woman . . . HEAVEN then DIRT . . . . I mean earth! ;-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was intrigued by the extremely mixed reviews of this scent and had to try it out. I think this is one of those fragrances that really depends on your body chemistry. I'll be honest and say this initially goes on me smelling like overly ripe/sweet melon and almost nauseatingly potent licorice. I didn't pick up on the black truffle at all. However, once this warms up on my skin, it's a wonderful unique smell - very warm and sensual. In fact, the almost-sickening sweetness that sprays out of the bottle completely vanishes on me and turns into something earthy and almost musky. I want to keep sniffing myself because it's so nice. I've never had a scent change so much on my skin. So if you're interested in trying this, try it on you skin and not just on a scent strip. I don't even recognize it from the scent strip I sampled at Sephora.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2009 11:35:00 AM More reviews by xianghua

Just bought this recently on a whim and am really liking it. I've been on a big fragrance kick lately, but nothing has come close to the uniqueness of this scent. Nothing else comes to mind that smells like this- I can't even think of what to compare it to. The bottle and packaging are kind of plain and simple, and price-wise it is no different from any other high-end fragrance IMO ($60 for the small bottle, seems reasonable to me). Not for the faint of heart, this is a super sexy fragrance and I always feel a little more confident after a spritz or two! Nice staying power, too!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/22/2009 10:28:00 PM More reviews by DaisyKatLuv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a strong strange fragrance that is definitely not for the faint of heart or anyone who needs approval from everyone but themselves because people will either love it or hate it. Now, for me, I luv a unique fragrance and lots of people don't particularly care for the ones I choose. I heard so much controversy about this fragrance the I ran out and bought it without even trying it first. Then...I tried so hard to like it but it was just OK... like it was trying to hard to appeal to the masses but still maintain a little rebellion. You gotta go either way. It has a vanilla floral scent with some bitterness to it but the vanilla was just overpowering to me. I don't dislike it but I'm still looking for my special scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2009 8:29:00 PM More reviews by Coquii

I am in love with Black Orchid. It is strong, sensual, and earthy. The scent is so complex and interesting that you have to smell it for yourself because the descriptions don't it any justice. I would recommend leaving it on your skin for 30 minutes or more because the initial scent can be very overpowering. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2009 12:35:00 PM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had such high hopes for Black Orchid, was convinced that is was going to be a new passion, all dark and hedonistic and overwhelming and such.

I almost always love these love-hate fragrances, the ones that break some new boundary or barrier.

But Black Orchid just doesn't do that for me. For all the hype and promises of indolence and olfactory forbidding, I find Black Orchid lazy. Unique yes, but lacking a momentum that keeps the fragrance interesting to wear throughout the day.

Yes, it's very different. There's that overly ripe almost rotting fruit underneath the original explosion that hits your nose, it's a fruit that's fallen from the tree, hit the ground, its edges barely edible. Perhaps it's the "citrus" that keeps this one from being truly sexually energetic . . . as though the truffle, orchid, sandalwood, vanilla, fruit aren't allowed to entirely do their thing . . .

ironically, and this is my biggest complaint, there's a way that Black Orchid is so very lethargic that it's blackness is more like a kind of fragrance death than mystery or intoxication. The citrus doesn't really lift it enough, or caps the sexual energy that might otherwise be there. (I find citrus unsexy, it's too clean and sharp.)

Top notes: Black Truffle, Ylang, Bergamot, Black Currant

Middle notes: Florals, Fruit and Lotus Wood

Base notes: Noir Gourmand, Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver

(Courtesy: http://1000scents.blogspot.com/2009/07/night-blooming-tom-ford-black-orchid.html )

I don't hate this fragrance; I like its vampiric darkness, the decay, earthiness, and incense vanilla soaked florals seductive, sensual, and hedonistic.

But it's too indolent, too lazy . . . there's a way that Black Orchid is so dark as to have no life: sexuality requires energy, and this is a fragrance that falls back into its own darkness so much that its sexuality is one of complete passivity . . .

the bordello worker just taking it all in, lost in some other world, disconnected from the act because she's just there.

Too much indolence, not enough sexuality.

A disappointment.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2009 11:11:00 PM More reviews by PheistyChick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my signature fragrance. My husband bought it for me for Mother's Day two years ago, and I've been wearing it ever since. I love the sophisticated smell of it, and it was a nice substitution for my Fendi, which was my favorite since I was a teenager. I always get compliments on my Black Orchid, especially when I pair it with the lotion.

I personally really love this fragrance, but you have to like dark, sophisticated (and even a little complicated) scents for this one to float your boat. If you're more into playful, clean, bright florals, run the other way.

My only reasons for not giving 5 lippies is due to the price. This stuff is expensive.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2009 1:26:00 AM More reviews by grammarrodeoqueen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Cannot stop smelling Black Orchid b/c it's so interesting. It's like black licorice -- you love it, or you don't get it. Seems like I pick up a different note every time I smell it. I can't decide if it's for a young vs. older woman, soft and powdery like a nursery or femme fatale. I thought I was a Fracas girl but to me this is much sexier. Kudos to Tom Ford for a wonderful creation that keeps me addicted. Great bottle and lasts all day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 11:45:00 AM More reviews by user1988

My boyfriend can't stand any kind of musky scents so I only wear "new" scents everywhere else. I got this in sample size, sprayed once... left for school. It's way too strong and musky, which really distracted me and probably the person sitting next to me too. Good thing I didn't wear this around my boyfriend, he would've died from the smell.

Edit: Couldn't find the exact words to describe how I felt until I read this: "On my skin this creates the impression of a sickeningly sweet smell covering up a noxious rotting odor." <--- yep that's it.