Estee Lauder Tom Ford Black Orchid

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'll start with the good things about this oriental fragrance first: It doesn't turn sharp on my skin the way so many fragrances do, and it lasts a long time. In fact, I could smell it on my wrist for a good 48 hours, even after a shower. However, that wasn't necessarily good, since I'm not overly fond of the fragrance. I'm not huge fan of orientals to begin with, and this one seems pretty generic to me. I don't smell any of the unique notes that this fragrance is supposed to have, and it actually reminds me of some Avon fragrance that my mom used to wear.
Notes: truffle, ylang-ylang, bergamot, black currant, orchid, fruity notes, lotus wood, dark chocolate, incense, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla, and vetiver. continued >>

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I received Black Orchid as a gift when it first came out. I like lush oriental fragrances and enjoyed this one enough to use most of the bottle. Towards the end though I got a little sick of it. It was too overbearing and at times almost nauseating. It's a very heavy fragrance. A woman in my office smelled it on me and started wearing it too. I recently smelled it on a woman I know who has worn it since it was introduced and I still feel the same way--it's overbearing. Strangely, this fragrance seems to smell the same on everyone I've smelled it on, that is the same as it does in the bottle. This is not one I'd buy.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Phew! I'm so glad I got a sample of this because there's no way I will buy it. I was curious about this fragrance, but now I know what it smells like. How do I put in terms? Hmm...Let's just put it this way, when I sprayed it on my wrists, my DH thought I was cleaning the bathroom. He said it was disgusting. ITA with that! The scent reminds me of a cheap, po-dunk, trailer trash woman walking into a bar already lit up. I can smell this on her just thinking of it. Sorry for the hate, but it can ruin a lot sinuses. The scent is so strong it can wake up dead people. And, heck no, I will not buy this crap.

Just... no. Not for me. This was a very strong, spicy floral on me. It smelled a lot more, shall we say mature, than how I would like to smell (for reference I'm 25). The incense/patchouli/sandalwood notes were very prominent for me and mixed with the floral notes in a very unpleasant way. My husband summed it up best: it smelled like the potpourri aisle in a Michael's craft store.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Other

I just got back from the mall and wanted to give this a try because I really like unique sensual fragrances (usually woody orientals). Well this is indeed unique and in some ways sensual. It really does need to be sampled on the skin and not a paper strip. It changes ALOT. Starts out kinda strong, for me it was an instant turn off . . .then it settled into this really warm sensual sweetness. Then just as I was about to put this on my short list of "gotta gets". . . all I could smell was DIRT, TREE BARK, all those woody things that I DO NOT want to smell like. Very disappointing because I actually thought i may have found "my scent" but in the end there is just too much woods in the soul for me. Same thing happend with Versace Woman . . . HEAVEN then DIRT . . . . I mean earth! ;-)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I was intrigued by the extremely mixed reviews of this scent and had to try it out. I think this is one of those fragrances that really depends on your body chemistry. I'll be honest and say this initially goes on me smelling like overly ripe/sweet melon and almost nauseatingly potent licorice. I didn't pick up on the black truffle at all. However, once this warms up on my skin, it's a wonderful unique smell - very warm and sensual. In fact, the almost-sickening sweetness that sprays out of the bottle completely vanishes on me and turns into something earthy and almost musky. I want to keep sniffing myself because it's so nice. I've never had a scent change so much on my skin. So if you're interested in trying this, try it on you skin and not just on a scent strip. I don't even recognize it from the scent strip I sampled at Sephora.

Just bought this recently on a whim and am really liking it. I've been on a big fragrance kick lately, but nothing has come close to the uniqueness of this scent. Nothing else comes to mind that smells like this- I can't even think of what to compare it to. The bottle and packaging are kind of plain and simple, and price-wise it is no different from any other high-end fragrance IMO ($60 for the small bottle, seems reasonable to me). Not for the faint of heart, this is a super sexy fragrance and I always feel a little more confident after a spritz or two! Nice staying power, too!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

This is a strong strange fragrance that is definitely not for the faint of heart or anyone who needs approval from everyone but themselves because people will either love it or hate it. Now, for me, I luv a unique fragrance and lots of people don't particularly care for the ones I choose. I heard so much controversy about this fragrance the I ran out and bought it without even trying it first. Then...I tried so hard to like it but it was just OK... like it was trying to hard to appeal to the masses but still maintain a little rebellion. You gotta go either way. It has a vanilla floral scent with some bitterness to it but the vanilla was just overpowering to me. I don't dislike it but I'm still looking for my special scent.

I am in love with Black Orchid. It is strong, sensual, and earthy. The scent is so complex and interesting that you have to smell it for yourself because the descriptions don't it any justice. I would recommend leaving it on your skin for 30 minutes or more because the initial scent can be very overpowering. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

I had such high hopes for Black Orchid, was convinced that is was going to be a new passion, all dark and hedonistic and overwhelming and such.

I almost always love these love-hate fragrances, the ones that break some new boundary or barrier.

But Black Orchid just doesn't do that for me. For all the hype and promises of indolence and olfactory forbidding, I find Black Orchid lazy. Unique yes, but lacking a momentum that keeps the fragrance interesting to wear throughout the day.

Yes, it's very different. There's that overly ripe almost rotting fruit underneath the original explosion that hits your nose, it's a fruit that's fallen from the tree, hit the ground, its edges barely edible. Perhaps it's the "citrus" that keeps this one from being truly sexually energetic . . . as though the truffle, orchid, sandalwood, vanilla, fruit aren't allowed to entirely do their thing . . .

ironically, and this is my biggest complaint, there's a way that Black Orchid is so very lethargic that it's blackness is more like a kind of fragrance death than mystery or intoxication. The citrus doesn't really lift it enough, or caps the sexual energy that might otherwise be there. (I find citrus unsexy, it's too clean and sharp.)

Top notes: Black Truffle, Ylang, Bergamot, Black Currant

Middle notes: Florals, Fruit and Lotus Wood

Base notes: Noir Gourmand, Patchouli, Incense and Vetiver

(Courtesy: http://1000scents.blogspot.com/2009/07/night-blooming-tom-ford-black-orchid.html )

I don't hate this fragrance; I like its vampiric darkness, the decay, earthiness, and incense vanilla soaked florals seductive, sensual, and hedonistic.

But it's too indolent, too lazy . . . there's a way that Black Orchid is so dark as to have no life: sexuality requires energy, and this is a fragrance that falls back into its own darkness so much that its sexuality is one of complete passivity . . .

the bordello worker just taking it all in, lost in some other world, disconnected from the act because she's just there.

Too much indolence, not enough sexuality.

A disappointment.