December 20, 2014 | 985 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Foundation Primer - Hydrating

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by theNYues

I was on my 4th bottle of smashbox photo finish primer till I watched a couple of youtube beauty guru reviews about the Laura Mercier Primer. I immediately went to Sephora to ask for a sample. Since I have combination skin they recommended the Hydrating formula. I loved it so much I had to go back and purchase a full bottle.
To be honest, this is more of a comparative review since I have only used two different primers so far.
Smashbox photo finish formula is much "smoother" so applying foundation is much easier with a glide on effect, however, as much as the application is easy, throughout the day i noticed that my foundation never really was absorbed but just sat on top of the primer and slid around so after 4 hrs you can see that all your makeup has migrated to the sides of your nose and around the corners of your eyes and fine lines around my mouth. Bascially this formula does not help your foundation absorb better it just smooths the application of makeup.
The Laura Mercier primer application is not as smooth but defintely works well as a primer. I feel like it really primes my skin as well as moisturize, to help my foundation last longer and absorb better with out the feeling of having a "film" of makeup slipping and sliding on top of my face all day.
I could not give the Laura Mercier primer 5 lippies just because this is the second foundation primer I have ever used and I have not tried many other products to compare it to so I may possibly find a better primer in the future. But for now, I will definitely recommend and purchase again when I run out.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2010 4:15:00 AM More reviews by csp4438

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I liked this product enough to buy another one at the duty free for stock up. My skin is combo/dry with occasional flakiness ard my T-zone. I like the creamy gel texture which really feels hydrating on my skin and slightly cooling upon application. The packaging is hygienic - gel doesn't ooze out extra, just the right amount. I like to apply under Skin79 super gold BB cream which glides on more smoothly and does stay longer. It doesn't even my skintone (but I never expected it to since I had BB cream) and my medium sized pores on nose are still visible if I wear this alone. My nose still gets some shine after a while but what the heck, the pressed powder will do the job, right. I took 1 lippie off bcos this is the 1st serious primer I've ever used and I don't know if there's something better out there...nonetheless, it's still highly recommended.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by vleibold

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product and used it for quite awhile. I really couldn't tell much difference but I was giving it the benefit of a doubt. Then, I tried a smashbox primer. What a difference! My make up really did stay on all day. SO...sorry, but this product just doesn't really work.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2010 12:07:00 AM More reviews by DrMAC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am so sad I have to write a bad review on a LM product! I've used the regular LM primer without any issues, so since I have dry skin, I thought the hydrating one would work great. Boy, I wish that was the case. So, I wore this for several days before I noticed that within minutes of applying this primer, I developed little red bumps on my forehead, cheeks, and chin and those areas LOOKED irritated. I have very porcelain skin so it was very obvious--I gasped when I finally made the connection with the primer. There must be some ingredient in the primer that is acidic or really irritating. My skin is sometimes sensitive, but even after days of not using it, I still have these bumps, although not red, still on my face. Do not use this if you have sensitive skin or are acne prone. I recommend the regular primer instead!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by TheLeatherB

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this primer. Before this primer I'd been using GOSH velvet touch (silicone based I believe) which did nothing for my dry skin. This primer however is lovely, I feel it makes my foundation stay on while hydrating my skin. I do still need 1 or 2 coats of moisturizer underneath because I have extremely dry skin. Downside for me is the price. Not only is it expensive you also get little product for the money (50 ml/1.7 fl oz). Therefore I will try other cheaper primers first before repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2010 10:35:00 AM More reviews by avmanion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this. I can use it even without powder and my skin looks and feels evened out. When I use it with powder I can pretty much cover up any flaws, and it does help make powder stay put. It's really gentle, and doesn't feel heavy on my skin. I even use it on my eyelids and it doesn't sting and helps eyeshadow stay on. Sinks right in, although it does take a minute to dry before I can add powder or else it gets a bit pasty. Highly recommend when you want to stay polished through the day and not have to think about it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2010 2:49:00 AM More reviews by dodobat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This primer leaves my skin hydrated and like what the other reviewers stated, does not 'sit' on the skin like how other primer does. It also doesn't mattify the skin. It makes your skin feel more comfortable and if you're using concealer/TM/foundation on top, it just glides on. I honestly haven't noticed that my foundation lasts longer/doesn't oxidise after using this but I like to know that my skin is 'protected' when using a primer. I won't be repurchasing this for awhile as I want to try other primers but I would say that this one is worth trying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2009 1:17:00 PM More reviews by medicredfearn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite primer. I was a bit reluctant to get it at first because of the hefty price tag. But after receiving a sample and loving it, I decided to get a full sized one.

I guess the main thing I like about this primer is the fact that unlike other primers I've tried it doesn't dry my face out AND it doesn't make me greasy. I have combination skin so it was hard to find a primer that would dry me out or make me a greaseball. This one is just perfect though.

It looks and feels like a lotion rather than a gel or watery substance. It applies smoothly and you don't really need that much to spread an even layer over your face. I feel like my face absorbs this, too. It doesn't just sit up on my skin.

The packaging is nice. I like that it's not in a little pump bottle (I hate those). It's in a squeeze tube. I love that because I can control exactly how much I want to take out and don't have to worry about not being able to get the last bit of product out since I can just squeeze it out. So no wasted product is a plus for our wallets!

It really does just even out my skin's surface and makes my foundation/Tinted Moisturizer application pretty much flawless. I honestly would never go back to a different primer now that I've been spoiled by this one. I've tried MUFE's primer, Smashbox's and MAC's, this one blows them all out of the water imo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2009 12:55:00 AM More reviews by venused

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Smashbox had me biased against primers for a while, since Photofinish dried me out big time (I have combination skin leaning heavily towards dry). But I decided to give this primer a try since it claimed to be hydrating. It does exactly what it promises and I like it much more than Smashbox primers. The texture is much, much better than your average primer. It lacks that slippery silicone-y feeling; it almost seems like a gel/cream rather than a primer.

It keeps my skin soft and smooth all day and prevents my foundation from drying me out and looking scaly even after a day of wear. My face will still look perfect after a 12 hour day, blush and all. For me setting powder is essential to keep the shine at bay. If I don't use one I can get quite shiny because this product is so hydrating. Applying setting powder once in the morning is all it takes to lock the moisture in. I don't need to blot throughout the day and my makeup maintains a fresh but not shiny look all day.

It's quite expensive but the tube is huge. I can't imagine I'll go through it that quickly. But it works for me, so I'll repurchase no matter the cost.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by SadieB

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've used this product 3 or 4 times to horrible results. I have fair, combination skin (though more on the dry side). First of all, I don't see that this product does a thing to even out my skin, and it doesn't allow for easier foundation application or result in improved foundation coverage. Not impressed; but, it was expensive so I decided to give it one more try. Same results - and the most horrifying of all, I realized use of this primer results in MAJOR cystic breakouts by the next day or so. I'm battling an embarrassing breakout right now because of this primer. I've blamed hormones the past few times this happened, but really it's only been this bad right after using this stuff. I'll stick to my Tarte primer from now on.