Laura Mercier Foundation Primer - Hydrating

3.7

Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Water, PEG/PPG-18/18, Dimethicone, Sodium PCA, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Sucrose Distearate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Phenooxyethanol, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Xylitylglucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Anhydroxylitol, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Xylitol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Sorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Tripotassium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Hyaluronic Acid, Allantoin, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Xylinum Black Tea Ferment, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbardensis Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Sorbate, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben. May contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Carmine (CI 75470)

on 9/27/2010 9:18:00 PM

Like others, I really wanted to like this product. It is my first LM makeup item. It comes in a very simple tube packaging. It has a sticky gel-like texture that is white but goes on clear on the skin. It feels very light and does make skin very smooth. Foundation goes on easily as well. It is $40 Cnd before taxes. I give this a very low rating for several reasons. I have dry sensative skin. I really thought this would help keep my face hydrated as the season is getting colder, though I didn't see any major difference. Also when I applied this for the first time it stung my face. I felt like it was burning, though it didn't last for more than a minute and went away. So I ignored that little episode and hoped it was a one time thing. I was wrong, 2x more on bare skin, and over moisturizer this primer did not get along with my skin. For something very pricey that doesn't satisfy does not deserve a high rating. Other cons, this primer doesn't have any directions how to apply the primer or any other benefits it gives the skin. I would feel more confident in the product if they described any other benefits of using this primer, other than just ingredients listed on the box. Overall, not good for sensative skin.

on 7/17/2010 1:11:00 AM

I do like this primer, but I find it does not really do the job of moisturizing and acting as a canvas for my foundation - not depending on if i use MAC Face & Body or Laura Mercier TM. But it does not break me out and makes the makeup a bit more sweat-resistant in summer parties, anyway...

on 7/11/2010 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This product is very moisturizing and is a smooth application! It definitely reminds me of sun tan lotion. It's light on the skin and makes my foundation look smooth and silky.

on 6/13/2010 5:42:00 PM

I was on my 4th bottle of smashbox photo finish primer till I watched a couple of youtube beauty guru reviews about the Laura Mercier Primer. I immediately went to Sephora to ask for a sample. Since I have combination skin they recommended the Hydrating formula. I loved it so much I had to go back and purchase a full bottle.
To be honest, this is more of a comparative review since I have only used two different primers so far.
Smashbox photo finish formula is much "smoother" so applying foundation is much easier with a glide on effect, however, as much as the application is easy, throughout the day i noticed that my foundation never really was absorbed but just sat on top of the primer and slid around so after 4 hrs you can see that all your makeup has migrated to the sides of your nose and around the corners of your eyes and fine lines around my mouth. Bascially this formula does not help your foundation absorb better it just smooths the application of makeup.
The Laura Mercier primer application is not as smooth but defintely works well as a primer. I feel like it really primes my skin as well as moisturize, to help my foundation last longer and absorb better with out the feeling of having a "film" of makeup slipping and sliding on top of my face all day.
I could not give the Laura Mercier primer 5 lippies just because this is the second foundation primer I have ever used and I have not tried many other products to compare it to so I may possibly find a better primer in the future. But for now, I will definitely recommend and purchase again when I run out.

on 5/18/2010 4:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I liked this product enough to buy another one at the duty free for stock up. My skin is combo/dry with occasional flakiness ard my T-zone. I like the creamy gel texture which really feels hydrating on my skin and slightly cooling upon application. The packaging is hygienic - gel doesn't ooze out extra, just the right amount. I like to apply under Skin79 super gold BB cream which glides on more smoothly and does stay longer. It doesn't even my skintone (but I never expected it to since I had BB cream) and my medium sized pores on nose are still visible if I wear this alone. My nose still gets some shine after a while but what the heck, the pressed powder will do the job, right. I took 1 lippie off bcos this is the 1st serious primer I've ever used and I don't know if there's something better out there...nonetheless, it's still highly recommended.

on 5/15/2010 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this product and used it for quite awhile. I really couldn't tell much difference but I was giving it the benefit of a doubt. Then, I tried a smashbox primer. What a difference! My make up really did stay on all day. SO...sorry, but this product just doesn't really work.

on 4/27/2010 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am so sad I have to write a bad review on a LM product! I've used the regular LM primer without any issues, so since I have dry skin, I thought the hydrating one would work great. Boy, I wish that was the case. So, I wore this for several days before I noticed that within minutes of applying this primer, I developed little red bumps on my forehead, cheeks, and chin and those areas LOOKED irritated. I have very porcelain skin so it was very obvious--I gasped when I finally made the connection with the primer. There must be some ingredient in the primer that is acidic or really irritating. My skin is sometimes sensitive, but even after days of not using it, I still have these bumps, although not red, still on my face. Do not use this if you have sensitive skin or are acne prone. I recommend the regular primer instead!

on 3/22/2010 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I love this primer. Before this primer I'd been using GOSH velvet touch (silicone based I believe) which did nothing for my dry skin. This primer however is lovely, I feel it makes my foundation stay on while hydrating my skin. I do still need 1 or 2 coats of moisturizer underneath because I have extremely dry skin. Downside for me is the price. Not only is it expensive you also get little product for the money (50 ml/1.7 fl oz). Therefore I will try other cheaper primers first before repurchasing.

on 2/28/2010 10:35:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love this. I can use it even without powder and my skin looks and feels evened out. When I use it with powder I can pretty much cover up any flaws, and it does help make powder stay put. It's really gentle, and doesn't feel heavy on my skin. I even use it on my eyelids and it doesn't sting and helps eyeshadow stay on. Sinks right in, although it does take a minute to dry before I can add powder or else it gets a bit pasty. Highly recommend when you want to stay polished through the day and not have to think about it!

on 1/20/2010 2:49:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This primer leaves my skin hydrated and like what the other reviewers stated, does not 'sit' on the skin like how other primer does. It also doesn't mattify the skin. It makes your skin feel more comfortable and if you're using concealer/TM/foundation on top, it just glides on. I honestly haven't noticed that my foundation lasts longer/doesn't oxidise after using this but I like to know that my skin is 'protected' when using a primer. I won't be repurchasing this for awhile as I want to try other primers but I would say that this one is worth trying.