September 20, 2014 | 1467 users online

Bronzers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sculpting Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by yuphehe

I have nothing to complain about this product aside from price and packaging quality. This is very expensive for a bronzer like pressed powder, and I am sure there are something out there that does exactly the same thing just as well for half the price, but if price was not a matter, this is the wonderful texture and color. The packaging looks cheap, as in on my vanity, its packaging quality is not comparable to brands like NARs, Shu Uemura etc.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2009 6:29:00 PM More reviews by pocky

Had I known about this product, I never would have bought MAC Taupe. Not that I don't like Taupe but this is so much better. I don't know if The Sculpting Powder comes in different shades. I got Medium, which is almost a dead ringer for Taupe. Both are fantastic for contouring but the difference lies in the texture.

The Sculpting Powder is silky smooth and blends beautifully. Taupe is easy to blend but the texture is more chalky and not nearly as silky. I don't even reach for Taupe anymore because I love using the KA so much. I use it everyday to give my face a little more definition but I can also do a very dramatic sculpted cheekbones look at night. If you're serious about adding a good contouring powder to your beauty arsenal, this is the product to get.

By the way, I have tried using bronzers to contour and while the results were okay, I couldn't get the look I really wanted--sculpted cheekbones and a more defined jawline. For contouring, you really need a neutral taupey brown-based shade to do contour if you want to avoid looking bronzed or orange. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I use contouring powder with bronzer and blush (for a dramatic look at night) or just contouring powder or contouring powder and blush. Keep in mind that this is not a bronzer or blush so it should not be applied like bronzer or blush.

Bronzer is applied to the high planes of your face (cheekbones, temples, bridge of nose, chin) where you would naturally get color from the sun. Apply contouring powder that way and you'll get a disaster. I like to sculpt my cheekbones by applying contouring powder underneath the cheekbones and then I give my jawline definition by applying the powder underneath (instead of right on) the jawbone and under my chin to create shadows.

25 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 11:37:00 AM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As I have said before, I usually overlook what is right in front of me... and speaking to someone about contouring now that MAC has the Dsuqared collection out, I re-discovered my KA Sculpting powder.

This is a dark looking powder in the pan. It applies much lighter and so so smooth. The quality of sculpting is amazing and you can really re-define your face with it. I use this product for night because I don't wear much contouring for day and when I do, I use the Sculpt/Accentuate from MAC. But this product is hands down the Sculpting winner.

It is not cheap -- but a very small amount well applied and buffed will give you the most amazing sculpted face.

I love this product and will re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2009 3:17:00 PM More reviews by ciscocat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder is amazing! I'm a PPP blonde with light eyes and at first glance this powder looks like it would be way too dark and muddy, but after reading the reviews and trying it at Sephora, I took the plunge. Like a previous reviewer, I've tried bronzers and brown-toned blushers to try to get that contoured look, but they usually turned out to be too orangy or too shimmery to use as a shader. Armani has a great brown bronzer, but it's too shiny to use as anything except what it was intended for. The KA sculpting powder is the perfect matte brown color for shading under the cheekbones. Not only that, it is incredibly easy to use! I thought I'd really have to work at it - especially since it's packaged with a sponge, which I thought was strange, but the sponge actually lays the color down in one place without disbursing all over the place like a brush would and then I use the sponge to buff it out and diffuse the edges. It takes me only a minute and I swear it's fool proof. This is my fifth KA product (I also have the airbrush foundation, the creme eyeliner, e/s palette #6 and the rouge hommage lipstick) and every one of them is a winner. I can't believe this line isn't carried in high end department stores since the quality and the packaging (not to mention the prices!) rival any of the designer lines I've tried. I'll probably by the loose powder and the blush next. God bless Kevyn Aucoin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by KathySkates

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been searching for the perfect powder to contour for YEARS. I had used all kinds of bronzers and even a BE shading powder that wasn't too bad. I went to Sephora for a little retail therapy and there it was! No shimmer or sparkle. Very sheer. Looks totally natural on my NW 20 skin. I just did the hollows of my cheeks and it too about 4 seconds. This is definitely my HG sculpting powder!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2009 1:43:00 AM More reviews by kikidaisy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best powder I've come across for contouring the face. Shade is very similar to MAC Emote, but the KA looks a little more natural. The colour is very dark and scary in the pan, but you don't have to be as careful as you think, once it's on the face it's not as pigmented or as dark as it looks in the pan. I will definately repurchase when I run out, which won't be for a long long long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2008 12:27:00 AM More reviews by SarahBeara87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Kevyn Aucoin's Sculpting Powder is truely remarkable. This is my first sculpting powder and Kevyn Aucoin. The price is somewhat steep at around $42. Although, I have been using the "Sculpting Powder" nearly everyday since I received it in the mail. It took me alittle time in figuring out how to use it forexample, as to where to place the product, with what tool, and how much. But if you do buy it you will find out that you will only need the tiniest amount to achieve your sculpted look. So far I have been using my 227 brush for applying the product on my nose followed with an angled blush brush for blending.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2008 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ekelur

I opened my box and saw this icky brown/red powder. "They sent the wrong thing! I ordered a blush!" I wondered who would buy this horrid stuff. Then I read the reviews, and decided to put my hasty return message on hold and give it a try. It's fabulous! What a divine accident! It's the scariest dark brown/red powder, but if you brush the tiniest bit on, you get perfect cheekbones. Love, love, love. (And I'm convinced that I'm not using it right, so I'm going to read Kevyn's book. I could look even more fabulous.)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2007 10:17:00 PM More reviews by jillbanks

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this sculpting powder. You really can use it to contour and will not look orangey like you would if you apply a bronzer. I used to try and contour with bronzers and it was a disaster. You can still do a light blush in the apples of the cheeks. I use Kevyn's book as a guide for how to do the contouring and it always works out. I don't use this everyday, but I do use it for special occassions or when I know I will be photograhped. Really does make a difference. It will last a long time, so for me it was worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2007 6:45:00 AM More reviews by Kinkybabe

It is hard to find the right product for shading as many beauty brands simply use darker shades of foundation for that purpose. When I was first informed about this product, I just knew I had to have it in my make up collection. The results? Perfect subtle brown colour and not the orangy brown that I have experience with Chanel, MAC, Shiseido, smashbox! After using this product, I can finally appreciate the use of shading to enhance my contours and be a little more photogenic in school photographs!LOL!