Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 11/29/2014 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I think I've tried this for everything I could, and my conclusion is: I'm going to keep it in my food. UPDATE: I'm NOT going to keep it in my food either - it's unhealthy

I have sensitive skin that clogs easily, so I will not try it on my face, as many lighter oils have only made things worse, and never gave me enough moisture. As a moisturizer for the body, it didn't sink in, and I was left with a greasy body till it rubbed off on everything. Not only that, but my fake-leather chair apparently hates this - the leather began ripping after me sitting in it, all oiled up, a few times. A couple of years ago I tried oil pulling, and discontinued because it didn't whiten my teeth. I tried to take a spoon of this oil every night, but before even 2 weeks had gone, I felt ill every time I took the oil. And mine was good quality, organic stuff. I stopped taking the oil when I once threw up. I have tried this as a makeup remover, and this is definitely not enough to dissolve what I'm wearing, and it's hard to wash off. No other oil has worked for this purpose either. I have tried this for hair, as a mask (kept it in for 2-8 hours, and the three first times, it seemed like my hair was in better condition - I had just coloured it 3 times in a row, and it needed some serious moisture. However, after those three times, it seemed like the oil just pulled nutrients OUT. And it might very well be so, because some vitamins are fat-soluble, so they might have solubilized in the oil and been washed off together with it. The only positive thing with the oil was that I liked the smell.

Now I put coconut oil in desserts, Indian food and sea food - it tastes really nice. I have also tried it in smoothies, but it just solidified again, and I got tiny lumps in my smoothie - might work for those with a stronger blender, maybe?

on 11/29/2014 11:43:00 AM

I used this on my scalp. The main reason why I'm trying this out it's because I've really dry and frizzy hair, and also my hair falls off really easily. I applied a generous amount on both my scalp and the ends of my hair. Then I massage my scalp gently. I leave it on for 2 hours and washed it with soap and conditioner. And I didn't like it. Even though my hair felt a little smoother after I washed it, there's this unpleasant smell that lingers right after. Oh also, I realised that my hair falls off more while washing. It seems like the oil made the roots of my hair weaker. I'm only eighteen, I don't wanna have bald spots :( VERDICT: cheap but nay.

on 11/27/2014 11:37:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I discovered the benefits of extra virgin, organic coconut oil after I had a surgery. I applied it to the scar and found that it really helped heal and soften the scar. After that I found that it's awesome for my skin overall! I use it most days after showering. At bedtime I use it on my face which has become dry in certain patches, and it works great! I even have adult acne and it does not break me out. I also like it on my hair to smooth down frizz or fly aways. I have thick, curly hair so it actually moisturizes well since I need products that are heavy in moisture. The only downside to this oil is that it hardens under 70 degrees so it's harder to use in the cooler months. What I like most of all about coconut oil is that it's natural and chemical-free. Our skin is our largest organ so we should be careful about what we're slathering on it every day.

on 11/24/2014 11:33:00 PM

I LOVE COCONUT OIL!!!!!!!!!!! It leaves my skin and hair so soft! I use coconut oil to take off my makeup and it leaves my skin soft and supple. I also use it as a night time eye cream and I kid you not, no more dark circles! I use a coconut oil hair mask about once a month and my hair is soft and healthy for a whole month! It is worth the not-so-expensive investment! I also use it for baking and my morning coffee (try it!)

on 11/13/2014 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

As a mixed girl with insane curls, I thought my hair would LOVE coconut oil. Oh no. Instead of making my hair less frizzy or easier to handle, it just.....makes my hair look greasy and disgusting. I have fine hair, so maybe this was the issue. I can't even use this in my deep treatments-my hair will be so greasy and stringy and disgusting for days afterwards that it's not worth it.

On my skin? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Oh, what a nightmare. I have combination skin and decided to use this to cleanse, mixed with a little bit of honey. I woke up in the morning with the most blotchy, reddened, evil looking face.....I think this triggered my rosacea that I suffered from back in high school. I thought it would be a nice treat for my dry areas, and I only used it sparingly on my t-zone. Regardless, i had such badly clogged pores and my skin broke out so horribly that it took me almost a month to recover from the experience. Even my boyfriend was concerned because my cheeks were so red and raw looking. I've never had a breakout that bad before.

Coconut oil and I stay away from each other now. Btw, the brand I used was the Trader Joe's brand that comes in a glass bottle.

on 11/6/2014 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Cool

love coconut oil! I've been using it on my hair for as long as I can remember but only recently tried using it on my face. I can't use this everyday otherwise my pores become clogged but it works great every once in a while (couple times a month) as an overnight hydrating mask. My skin always looks amazing the morning after I've used this!

on 11/1/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am such a fan of coconut oil. I use it as a daily body moisturiser, hair treatment and for removing makeup. My boyfriend has started using it instead of shaving cream as he kept getting a shaving rash - he's loving it. The best thing about coconut oil is that's it's all natural - no chemicals or preservatives. I will always use coconut oil!

on 10/25/2014 5:03:00 AM

I have used coconut oil everyday.
- oil pulling in the morning and evening, after brushing my teeth.
- OCM for face every morning and evening.
- facial massage in the evening, while taking a bath
- hair, once for a while.
- eating it by itself or in tea or food
- cooking

it is amazing, and good price when i can find them in holland and barret half price, or in costco for a huge bottle.

[update Feb/25/2015]: because my skin becomes very dehydrated in the winter, I thought to give it a try to use it as facial moisturizer. IT WORKS. I use it every morning and evening very generously. Often one layer between serum and lotion, and one more layer after lotion and one more after it being absorbed. I tend to mix with HA toner with it. I use it very generously, so my face and hand look very greasy. I thought I might get acne, but after two weeks experiment, it is actually the level of oil my skin needs. my skin LOVES it. no more caking on foundation and first time feel hydrated skin in the winter. a MUST for dehydrate and dry skin in the winter.

Coconut oil for the face? No way! Too pore-clogging for my liking. But it's ideal for the hair and can be used in place of a serum, for dry hair ends or to tame flyaways. I use it for my hair ends once or twice a week when I'm due a hair cut - the smallest amount possible, warmed between the palms. As I have fine, bra strap length hair I have to be careful not to overload my hair and pure coconut oil is one of the few oils that my hair can tolerate as a leave-in. I can't tell you how great it is for people who 'can't do' oil - it's HG material for me.

This oil has changed my life (or at least my hair)! Really. I use a bit on the ends only after shampooing and conditioning. It helps detangle and fight frizz. My rough blow dry looks smoother and my hair is silky and stays shiny after flat ironing. A little worked through the ends of 2nd day hair that's pulled into a ponytail looks groomed and healthy rather than flyaway. Maybe my hair has just been really dry my whole life and just needed some oil. I thought I'd hate it or it would break out my problematic skin, but I love it. I rub the extra oil on my hands after doing my hair and my skin feels soft.