August 30, 2014 | 1768 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by mtcowgirly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

MAJOR SUCCESS. I like "nutiva" brand organic extra virgin coconut oil (about $11.00 for 16 oz.) I have used this for a couple different skin issues:

1) After applying diy ACV toner (50% water 50% ACV) with a cotton round, I rub this all over my shoulders, back, and torso every morning after showering and every night before bed. I had pretty bad body acne for years, but after using this everyday for about two weeks MY SHOULDERS AND BACK ARE COMPLETELY CLEAR! (except for all the post-acne red spots). Been doing this for about a month so far. I also exfoliate my body while using a gentle cleanser every two or three days with a body brush you can buy at Wal-Mart or your local dollar store. I have continued to use this on my body with success.

TIP: put hair up when you apply this if you don't want your hair getting greasy. It will soak in pretty quickly, though. It feels almost powdery. I usually wait to take my hair down until after I've dressed.

2) I also suffer from eczema on my face and this is the only thing that takes away the burning and itching. Use a lot if you're using it to soothe eczema. Like a mask. I try not to leave it on for too many hours, though. It can clog pores. Remove with a cloth or cotton round, then follow with a gentle cleanser. Some people tolerate coconut oil just fine and can leave it on as a moisturizer. Just be careful and use discretion if you notice any break-outs.

3) This is my HOLY GRAIL EYE MAKEUP REMOVER AND EYE CREAM. Just a tiny bit takes off everything in seconds. It is thin and doesn't pull at my skin like thick cold cream does. Remove with cotton round. Then re-apply as needed for an eye cream. Soothing and softening. If I wear makeup I just blot most if it off and wait fifteen minutes or so before applying shadow and liner.

Smells great too!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by kontaktperson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love it! Been using it as a facial cleansing balm for the last couple of weeks and it works great. I put a pea size amount of the oil (under 25 degrees Celsius it's actually a hardened constancy) in mu palm and rub them together until it becomes an oil. I massage it into my dry face for a few minutes, carefully cleanse my eyes and go over the eyelashes. Then a use a wash cloth with hot/warm water and just put it over my face for a bit. Feels so nice! And then, i just take the residue off. My skin has been super dry and acne prone for the last four years and this has made a BIG difference. My face used to be itchy, red and stingy after washing, sometimes just from putting water on it. Now i find its plump, moist and not so sensitive. I rarely have to use a moisturizer after cleansing with coconut oil, i just put my serum on and i'm fine to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by mcsm

Cocunut oil is the best, by far, product I've ever bought. I use it for several things like cooking and beauty treatments. My newest invention is my makeup remover: mix half coconut oil and half vitamin E ( actually little more oil than vitamin E) and you'll get the best makeup remover, it takes out all makeup including waterproof without much trouble and also heals your skin, especially in the eye area. I've tried incorporating glycerin and collagen to the formula but I prefer just coconut oil and vitamin E. Sooo recommended!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by Lindsex24

I love this stuff! It's the only thing that has healed my perpetually dry lips. I slather it on at night and then cover with Vaseline. Now my lipstick doesn't dry up all strangely during the day and I never get cracking or painful dryness. I also use this for irritated skin (like when I have a cold and am blowing my nose constantly = dry, peeling redness). Dry elbows and knees are also no match for coconut oil!

For my hair, I put a tiny amount on my ends after blow drying. I let it sink in for a few hours and the crunchy ends are gone. I find it way too heavy for a deep conditioner on the rest of my hair, since I have such fine texture (I use olive oil for that). However, I think it would work great on less fine hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 1:35:00 PM More reviews by ebe99059

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a vegan and I use it for everything! Makeup remover (face and eye), vegan butter, tanning oil, acne cream, acne scar reducer, hair repair, etc. Its amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by Bailey4213

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'd just like to start out by saying coconut oil will NOT work for everyone. So if it doesn't don't completely trash it and say it's a terrible product. It's just like face wash or anything else, it works amazing for some and horribly for others.

I decided about a month or two ago to try to switch to all natural products after looking through literally every category of skincare on here and seeing that in the top 5 there was always an all natural product. coconut oil and rosewater were the main things I wanted to try. We went to a local organic store and I finally found it after looking for weeks. I was so excited.

The first day I got it I used as a hair treatment I had had a terrible time with dry scalp & hair and had heard that coconut oil could help. I put it in and left it for 2-3 hours and then took a shower and washed my hair, once. I should have washed it twice like recommended, but ya know love and learn. My hair was greasy and limp but it was soooooooo soft and my scalp was significantly better. If I would've washed it twice my hair would've just been soft and fab. So I definitely recommend it as a hair treatment. Also it nice to use when you're hair is wet as a leave in oil, but USE SPARINGLY & NOT ON YOUR SCALP.

Second I used it as a body lotion which I will admit I'm not a fan of. It takes too long to absorb for me & I cannot stand that greasy feeling. Also I don't find it moisturizing enough, what can I say I like the fake soft lotion feel.

I also used it as a make-up remover. I was very hesitant as I have acne prone skin and had heard mixed reviews on whether it would break me out or not. I dip my fingers into the little bit of liquid at the top & rub it all over my face first avoiding my eyes. I then rub it on my eyes then rinse my face with warm water & towel it off. DO NOT expect it to just come off with water it won't, it will help you towel it off but will not rinse it off. So far it's been about a month and I am more then thrilled with the results. My skin has never looked better, and my acne has actually cleared up. Also my eyelashes seem longer and darker.

More recently I started using it as a facial moisturizer, after testing to make sure it didn't break me out. DO NOT USE IN THE MORNING. It takes foreverrrrrrr to soak in so I use it at night and I'm not sure it makes a huge difference in the softness of my skin, but my skin is currently in the best condition ever and my breakouts are disappearing.

Just a side note this does not smell like fake coconut perfume. Don't expect it to.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by mali29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS STUFF! It's amazing to remove even the most stubbornest makeup off your, My nightly routine is to apply my coconut oil onto my face and then I wipe everything off with a cotton round and then just wash my face with daily cleanser. Then 2-3 nights a week I use the coconut oil as my nighttime oil. And I wake up with buttery smooth skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by krysownzu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I do not use actual facial cleansers anymore. I use extra virgin organic coconut oil and brown sugar once daily (at night). In the morning, I rinse with warm water only. My skin has never been more clear... Ever. Olive oil made my skin feel amazing, but I broke out. I haven't broken out since beginning the coconut oil/brown sugar, my skin is clear, soft, and so smooth. I'm 30 now, and I have very few fine lines under my eyes, but that's it. I wish I'd tried this sooner... I'm trying to use natural products more. This combo is cheaper for me and much, much more effective than anything else I've used... Including: scrubs, Clarisonic, BHA/AHA, masks, prescriptions... Anything. So happy I tried this.

If this broke me out, I'd never recommend that anyone try it. I was afraid to, but I'm so glad i took the chance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Words can not explain how much I HATE coconut oil.

First, let's start off with the smell. It's disgusting. It doesn't smell anything like fresh coconuts, it smells like nasty, oily, old, musty coconuts and I know for fact my jar was not rancid because I've tried several from several different brands and different stores. They're all the same. They smell like mounds bars. Musty, oily mounds bars. My mom once tried to cook with this stuff, it smelled so gross she just threw out the dish. The smell alone is bad enough to make me hate this stuff but it gets worse.

Ok, so I tried REALLY hard to find a use for this "all-purpose miracle oil" and let me tell you about all the ways it failed:

Hair: I tried using this as a pre-shampoo treatment and a leave in. As a leave in, it was horrible, which didn't really surprise me. I mean, straight up oil in my hair? As you can probably guess, it was a greasy, nasty mess. But what I didn't expect was for it to suck so much as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'm no stranger to pre-shampoo oil treatments, in fact I do them a lot because they're usually fantastic. I've used Ojon, olive oil, and Leonor Greyl oil and they were all great, so really, how could coconut oil go wrong? Well it did. It dried the crap out of my hair. My hair is mostly straight, and normally pretty soft, but after using coconut oil it was dry, frizzy, wiry, just awful, AND I noticed more split ends. Now because I was dedicated to making coconut oil work (and also dumb) I didn't try this once, or twice, but dozens of times. I tried leaving it in for 15 minutes, overnight, figuring it had to work eventually, right? Wrong.

Makeup remover: Smudgy, nasty mess that left my eyes burning, stinging, and blurry. Never again. Not even for science.

Face: Not much to say other than insta-cystic acne. Fortunately, I was smart enough to not try it on my face ever again.

Teeth: Yup, I tried oil pulling. Complete, utter, bs. Does it whiten? Sure, it removes the immediate surface stains that you get right after drinking coffee, soda, or wine, but brushing your teeth does that too. It does nothing for the deeper stains, and trust me, I stuck to a twice-daily regimen for two months hoping for it to work, but nada. Not to mention, it was disgusting. And always left me with a dry mouth, which can't be good for your teeth.

And after all this experimentation, what was I rewarded with? A FREAKING COCONUT ALLERGY. YUP. As you might know, repeated exposure to something can result in an allergy, and that is exactly what happened to me. I tried one last time to find a use for it as a body oil, and what happened? My legs broke out in hives. Itchy, painful hives. Now I swear I can smell someone who has been using coconut oil from a mile away, and it makes me gag. I don't know how this managed to get the reputation of miracle oil but it just goes to show that the mind is a powerful thing. I guess mine isn't though, because despite years of trying to convince myself this stuff has to be good for something, here I am writing this review.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Blueeyes248

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

First of all, please let me clarify something about extra virgin coconut oil (E.V.C.O.): it is NOT noncomedogenic. It can clog your pores and make you break out. Will it make you break out? Maybe. It works great as a very gentle yet effective eye makeup remover, but when I use it on the rest of my face, it unfortunately makes me break out. This is why I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

However, as a moisturizer for the body, I love E.V.C.O. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms (those things that kinda look like pink or red goosebumps) and when I exfoliate in the shower and immediately apply the coconut oil to still-wet skin, it makes my arms super soft. When I'm feeling extra vigilant and apply the coconut oil to my arms at night too before going to bed, it definitely helps to minimize the bumps. Coconut oil also makes my legs feel especially awesome after I shave (I recommend applying the coconut oil immediately after you shave to your still-wet legs to seal in moisture.)

I definitely recommend coconut oil for the body, but I'd proceed with caution when using it on the face due to the fact that it isn't noncomedogenic.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No