July 29, 2014 | 2088 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by krysownzu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I do not use actual facial cleansers anymore. I use extra virgin organic coconut oil and brown sugar once daily (at night). In the morning, I rinse with warm water only. My skin has never been more clear... Ever. Olive oil made my skin feel amazing, but I broke out. I haven't broken out since beginning the coconut oil/brown sugar, my skin is clear, soft, and so smooth. I'm 30 now, and I have very few fine lines under my eyes, but that's it. I wish I'd tried this sooner... I'm trying to use natural products more. This combo is cheaper for me and much, much more effective than anything else I've used... Including: scrubs, Clarisonic, BHA/AHA, masks, prescriptions... Anything. So happy I tried this.

If this broke me out, I'd never recommend that anyone try it. I was afraid to, but I'm so glad i took the chance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Words can not explain how much I HATE coconut oil.

First, let's start off with the smell. It's disgusting. It doesn't smell anything like fresh coconuts, it smells like nasty, oily, old, musty coconuts and I know for fact my jar was not rancid because I've tried several from several different brands and different stores. They're all the same. They smell like mounds bars. Musty, oily mounds bars. My mom once tried to cook with this stuff, it smelled so gross she just threw out the dish. The smell alone is bad enough to make me hate this stuff but it gets worse.

Ok, so I tried REALLY hard to find a use for this "all-purpose miracle oil" and let me tell you about all the ways it failed:

Hair: I tried using this as a pre-shampoo treatment and a leave in. As a leave in, it was horrible, which didn't really surprise me. I mean, straight up oil in my hair? As you can probably guess, it was a greasy, nasty mess. But what I didn't expect was for it to suck so much as a pre-shampoo treatment. I'm no stranger to pre-shampoo oil treatments, in fact I do them a lot because they're usually fantastic. I've used Ojon, olive oil, and Leonor Greyl oil and they were all great, so really, how could coconut oil go wrong? Well it did. It dried the crap out of my hair. My hair is mostly straight, and normally pretty soft, but after using coconut oil it was dry, frizzy, wiry, just awful, AND I noticed more split ends. Now because I was dedicated to making coconut oil work (and also dumb) I didn't try this once, or twice, but dozens of times. I tried leaving it in for 15 minutes, overnight, figuring it had to work eventually, right? Wrong.

Makeup remover: Smudgy, nasty mess that left my eyes burning, stinging, and blurry. Never again. Not even for science.

Face: Not much to say other than insta-cystic acne. Fortunately, I was smart enough to not try it on my face ever again.

Teeth: Yup, I tried oil pulling. Complete, utter, bs. Does it whiten? Sure, it removes the immediate surface stains that you get right after drinking coffee, soda, or wine, but brushing your teeth does that too. It does nothing for the deeper stains, and trust me, I stuck to a twice-daily regimen for two months hoping for it to work, but nada. Not to mention, it was disgusting. And always left me with a dry mouth, which can't be good for your teeth.

And after all this experimentation, what was I rewarded with? A FREAKING COCONUT ALLERGY. YUP. As you might know, repeated exposure to something can result in an allergy, and that is exactly what happened to me. I tried one last time to find a use for it as a body oil, and what happened? My legs broke out in hives. Itchy, painful hives. Now I swear I can smell someone who has been using coconut oil from a mile away, and it makes me gag. I don't know how this managed to get the reputation of miracle oil but it just goes to show that the mind is a powerful thing. I guess mine isn't though, because despite years of trying to convince myself this stuff has to be good for something, here I am writing this review.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Blueeyes248

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

First of all, please let me clarify something about extra virgin coconut oil (E.V.C.O.): it is NOT noncomedogenic. It can clog your pores and make you break out. Will it make you break out? Maybe. It works great as a very gentle yet effective eye makeup remover, but when I use it on the rest of my face, it unfortunately makes me break out. This is why I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

However, as a moisturizer for the body, I love E.V.C.O. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms (those things that kinda look like pink or red goosebumps) and when I exfoliate in the shower and immediately apply the coconut oil to still-wet skin, it makes my arms super soft. When I'm feeling extra vigilant and apply the coconut oil to my arms at night too before going to bed, it definitely helps to minimize the bumps. Coconut oil also makes my legs feel especially awesome after I shave (I recommend applying the coconut oil immediately after you shave to your still-wet legs to seal in moisture.)

I definitely recommend coconut oil for the body, but I'd proceed with caution when using it on the face due to the fact that it isn't noncomedogenic.

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 4:18:00 PM More reviews by chocolatecadre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just can't praise extra virgin coconut oil enough. I don't use it for absolutely everything, as some people can, and more power to them - if you're the right type of skin type and hair type, this can be used as practically anything. Hair mask, hair treatment, hair styling, moisturizer, body lotion for dry spots, make up remover, a base for a home-made deodorant (google for instructions!), a base for a home-made sugar exfoliant.. the list just goes on and on. I personally use it as a make up remover and moisturizer during the cold winter months and it's very effective for those times when my combination skin turns into dry skin during winter. It's great for rough patches on the elbows and such. It doesn't work for my hair, sadly - leaves it too oily, even after a shampoo wash.

It's without a doubt one of the few times I've tried something blindly and been 100% happy with it. And even better, if you try it and it doesn't work out for your skin/hair, you can use it as cooking oil! I hear the paleo-dieters love it as cooking oil.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 4:08:00 PM More reviews by lalilabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Its funny!, 'cauze In India we had been using coconut oil in everything for centuries(1000 BC may be!!) and still using it.If you go to any house in India and ask for Coconut oil,they will have it.We use it for everything from food to hair to face to body!!As a matter of fact the secret to superb hair for Indians is Coconut oil!!
And please guys, those who think it is greasy, put this oil and massage your hair BEFORE taking a bath and let is stay for ATLEAST 30 minutes and wash it with natural ingrediants.NO shampooing,may be once a month. Most easily available product is CHIKPEA FLOUR.I know it sounds weird but it is great and washes off the oil completely.you have to use as much flour as the oil you have on your head and hair though.
For styling hair you may use a drop or so of coconut oil but it's better to use other products instead.Cauze coconut oil will not hold the style but dries out easily in these weather conditions as I later found out.
As for food,I dont know about you,but we use it for Dosa,Avial and many other things which needs oil and it smells awesome!!
Enjoy life with coconut oil!!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 4:17:00 PM More reviews by Saslag

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love love love this stuff.I have oily oily oily skin and acne marks everywhere! I have tried everything! This stuff is wonderful! You have to get Extra-Virgin! Otherwise, you might be putting unwanted chemicals and crap on your face...

But with that being said, I use this to wash my makeup off my face (gets eye makeup off too)... Then I wash it as a cleanser, and then at night I put this and leave it on my face. I broke out a good bit when I first started using it... But after that, My complexion was awesome and I don't break out!! I guess my skin doesn't need to produce that much oil...
I still have acne scars and dark spots on my cheeks, but I'm trying apple cider vinegar to fade those spots (not too sure about that yet)... Give it a shot!

I put this in my hair and it didn't do anything to my hair.. just made it oily and flat. ha!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by sthompson0109

I use this product on EVERYTHING. It is amazing on hair, as a styler, a oil treatment, or even a wash. I also recommend coconut oil as a face wash. Contrary to popular belief it shouldn't make you break out, and it leaves skin very soft. For dry hair add a small amount of oil to hair on a daily basis beford styling and when hair is towel dried. if your hair is straight be cautious, hair may appear greasy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by pinkmouse09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A must in my hair regimen. I live the smell. I'll buy a big jar at Sam's Club for $8 and so for I've had it for 6 months. A little goes a long way. When curly I use all over to seal moisture an when straight I use a tiny bit on the ends. Use it for cooking as well. Can't even taste it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I'm glad I started using this! It's definitely helped improve my skin by leaps and bounds. I've never gotten an official diagnosis for eczema, but my mother and sisters have it and I have very dry, scaly, itchy spots on various parts of my body. That, combined with the colder than usual winter my area has been experiencing, my skin has been a mess and lotion just wasn't cutting it. I bought the Nutiva brand in the organic aisle at my local grocery-extra virgin, cold-pressed and unrefined is the kind you want! Otherwise, you won't get the full benefits of this stuff. It's a little pricey, but a jar should last a while. It comes completely solid, but will melt around 76 degrees, or when your skin touches it. I recommend using a spoon to scoop it out, to avoid messes. Also! This isn't really something to use all over your body just before work or going out--it takes a while to absorb. I used this 3 days in a row before going back to my regular lotion and the results have been great. I bring the jar into the bathroom when I shower, that way the steam helps it loosen a bit. When I get out of the shower, I pat dry and then begin applying the oil. It smells so good! Not artificial coconut like we're used to and which I hate! I scrape out a teaspoon-full at a time, rub my hands to melt it (it's a little drippy!) then apply it from my shoulders to my feet. It doesn't absorb quickly, so I take extra time to rub it on my skin and then put on a light robe to hang out in before getting dressed. Every 15-20 minutes or so, I rub everywhere the oil is again, to try and help it absorb a little more. Usually about an hour or so, I get bored and get dressed. My skin feels great the next day! Not overly soft like it gets with silicone-packed lotion, but strong, healthy, hydrated skin. And my dry patches improved with each use. More delicate areas of my skin, such as my inner arms, we're silky smooth though. After 3 days, I started using my silicone-free lotion in place of the oil and my skin has never felt better and the dry patches have disappeared. I use the oil once a week now just for good measure and I'm so pleased. It can get tedious, but it's worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

*UPDATE* 2/11/2014
I finally tried CO as a hair mask and loveeee it! I have long, blonde, highlighted hair and it looks so healthy and soft! I'm going to try to incorporate this into a weekly routine because the benefits are amazing. If anyone is interested in my method: At first I tried to warm up the CO in my hands and then put it on my hair but it was too tedious and messy so I filled my bathroom sink up with hot water and placed the jar in it, it was liquid in a matter of minutes, then I poured some in my palms, put it in my hair, and repeated. My scalp is dry from the cold winter so I coated thoroughly from my scalp down to the tips of my hair, put my hair in a bun, placed a disposable shower cap over it, and kept it on for 8 hours! The next morning I washed my hair twice with my favorite shampoo (Pureology Hydrate), and continued the rest of my routine as normal!

I tried really hard to use this as a makeup remover for my mascara. Am I missing something? I only use mascara for my top eyelashes. First of all, I get it in my eyes EVERY time, no matter how hard I close them. Then, my mascara isn't coming off very easy so I have to really rub. Using a cotton round doesn't work, using just my fingers doesn't work... and on top of that, from all the tugging, eyelashes come out. I love the way CO feels on my eyelashes/eyebrows/eyelids once I have no mascara on but so far this is NOT working for me.

Lastly, when I first picked up CO from Walmart, I didn't realize that I got "refined" until recently. I was wondering why it didn't have a scent and this is why. I bought Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Virgin CO yesterday and it smells amazingggggg. I read that it has more of the "good stuff" in it so I definitely recommend people making sure they get unrefined!

*ORIGINAL POST* 12/7/2013
I've used CO in place of body lotion and I liked it. It seemed to work fine, didn't have any adverse effects, and soaked into my skin fairly well. The reason i stopped using it was because it's just really annoying when you're getting ready (and I'm usually in a hurry) to get a spoon, spoon it out of the jar, and warm it up in your hands before applying while inadvertently some chunks fall on the floor. If it was liquid at room temperature I'd probably be more apt to use it. I would still like to try it as a hair mask, though.