Kanebo kate mascara base

4.3

on 5/17/2008 4:04:00 AM

This is the first time I've tried a mascara base so I have no basis for comparison but I totally LOVE this product!!!! I used this under Maybelline Unstoppable mascara which doesn't do anything to my stick-straight, thin Asian lashes, and the result was what I've always wanted --- it held up my lash curler-enhanced curl the whole day, gave me length and volume (not too much, but definitely noticeable!), perfect for an everyday look. I also love its small, thin brush that lets me apply the base easily to all parts of my lashes. It's not clumpy nor sticky. I'm definitely stocking up on this one!

on 5/9/2008 5:44:00 PM

My lovely friend (and fellow makeup ho) generously picked up a tube for me while she was in Asia. I couldn't help but try it right away, even though I already had a tube of Shiseido's mascara base open. I probably still prefer Shiseido (only because it dries clear on my black lashes, and doesn't have any fibers to fuss with), but this is cheaper and just as effective at holding a curl. I'm truly impressed, because whenever I've tried any other mascara base, I've been very disappointed, so I haven't strayed from Shiseido for several years now. I'm shocked that this is every bit as good as Shiseido, and actually a lot more volumizing, to boot. I don't know how much this costs in Asia, but it's available for $12 USD on adambeauty.com, whereas Shiseido's mascara base is $22. Huge rave!

on 4/4/2008 5:52:00 PM

This mascara base made my lashes look like those of a doll. I absolutely love it, however-it turned taking it off into an odyssey. I would highly recommend eye makeup remover with this one.

Overall, very happy I made the switch from the Tiffa one to this one.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

pros:

maintains curl for the whole day
helps alot in lenghtening n volumizing

cons:
need to layer on a lot of mascara in order to cover up the whitish/greyish fibers
removal is a bit more difficult, but still acceptable

overall is a nice product, but i really wish that the fibers can go transparent so that we don't need to layer on so many mascara!

on 1/15/2008 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My lashes: Asian - thick, dark, straight, short
Packaging: Small slim white tube. Great for purses and travel.

Pros: Holds curl very well, adds volume, adds length
Cons: Quite hard to cover the white base without overlayering mascara, needs oil MU remover to remove

on 12/3/2007 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this on eBay based on a recommendation from someone on the boards, and I was not disappointed! It is significantly cheaper than Shiseido's mascara base, and just as good. I get the best results if I curl my lashes, apply a coat of the base and then follow up with mascara before the base dries. It keeps a curl all day and makes my lashes super fat and long. The only downside is that it is not readily available in the US so we have to buy online and wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong. I can't wait to try the new formula for 2007!

on 11/9/2007 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry, I know i'm gonna pull down the overall rating of this mascara base.

But anyway, Mascara bases and I CANNOT WORK.

This mascara contains ALOT of fibres, which i believe is to lengthen your lashes.

Pros:

- Holds the curl REALLY well. The only thing I'm impressed about this product.

- Is slightly transparent (BUT NOT TRANSPARENT) with a whitish/greyish tint.

- EASILY removable by eye mu remover!!! Compared to that freaking Maybelline XXL, this is NOTHING.

Cons:

- Still able to see the whiteish/greyish tint after 2-3 coatings of my mascara. I have to coat alot of times just to get the unslightly colour covered.

- Does not make my mascaras result in less smudging.

**Update**: Changing rating to 3.5>4 (but MUA doesnt have such rating, lol). It doesnt deserve 4 lippies yet, maybe somewhere along 3.8, but i think i prefer to use mascaras along with this product nowadays. I can tell the difference when im using or NOT using this primer. Mascara-ed lashes look better (longer..) Changed option of repurchasing to yes, because this is the one of the better drugstore primers IMO. I'd say give it try if you can get your hands on it!

p/s: i often see people asking if there are any drugstore primers, i wanna type Kate, but this is not available in US

on 10/29/2007 6:40:00 PM

This is a bargain! Great product. Love the packaging, amazing value for money. It contains LOADS of fibres, so it really extends the lashes. using this with FIBERWIG mascara is unbelievable - Ultra long, luscious lashes.....
Fab.

on 9/24/2007 12:44:00 AM

I like this base, it's quite nice. Helps hold a curl and has fibres for lengthening. I'd like to try the famous Shiseido The Makeup one soon to compare. But so far this is my favorite one. Got this around $10, pretty cheap :) I'll update this later when I try the Shiseido one

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

i seldom rave about products. but this thing here is amazing. haha. it hold the mascara for the entire day! and what most important that its rather cheap. for aroung SGD14. it works. and everyone has taken notice about my curly eyelashes. unfortunately, they dced in singapore, and i'll have to stock up in hk or m'sia, but i'll definitely repurchase. they make me want to use mascaras again. :)

Top Rated Kanebo Products