Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.2

Not tested on animals

on 12/23/2013 5:58:00 PM

I feel compelled to write a Wen review. I truly believe this product is 50/50 with people. It think it works really well for some, but can easily see how many would dislike it. For starters, if you want a shampoo that lathers, this isn't for you. And if you've never tried a non-foaming shampoo before you'll find out very quickly if you like it or not. It's an adjustment. I will say that even though I personally like this product, I really miss regular shampoo and conditioner from time to time. I was very cynical initially about Wen but alas, it does work very well for my fine/ thin/ over bleached hair which I am trying to grow out (back to my natural color). The most important tidbit of the product which is mentioned by many others is that you DO NOT need to use the full amount of pumps they recommend, that's ridiculous. Use as much as you feel you need to cover your hair/ scalp completely. Then add a bit more water to get a very *mild* frothing action, and massage massage massage your scalp, then comb through your hair. That's what's gotten me the best best results, and helps me hair detangle. I do not find this greasy or anything **BECAUSE** I really rinse it out! It even states on the bottle to make sure you rinse it out WELL. You have to rinse it out well, massage your scalp as your rinsing to make sure it doesn't end up to greasy. Don't use the product lackluster and then complain that your hair is too greasy. If you use the product correctly and then your hair is still too greasy then it just isn't jiving with your hair. But I do feel there's a good chunk of Wen haters who maybeeeee aren't really rinsing it out well enough (Not all...maybe some). Every two weeks I will still use a clarifying shampoo which is what many other reviewers do. Makes sense with or without Wen to get rid of product buildup. Makes my hair very manageable, frizz free, and soft. The new healthy hair growing in is very shiny! I am pleased. Took off a lippie because of course it's too expensive, but whatever it works!

on 12/17/2013 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hands down, the best product for cleansing and treating that I've ever used on my hair. I have long (down to my mid-back) wavy hair, and I have a lot of it, and my hair texture includes both fine and medium-coarse (yes, all on my one head lol). My hair dries out really quickly, though I'd say it's a normal moisture level; but because I color it frequently (around 6x or more per year) it's damaged/dry; and it's also very temperamental; I cannot just "wash n' go", and I cannot use "whatever" on my hair; and I'm very particular, so not a lot of products leave a pleasant residue or don't feel right or don't smell good, and all of that impacts my experience. Shea Moisture shampoos and conditioner were the pinnacle of my hair product findings, until I tried Wen. So, nothing from a drug store cut it, and I frankly get a headache when I think of salon formula possibilities (at a certain point, I don't have the patience nor the ability to tell a lot of their results apart, be it Redken, or TIGI, or Rusk, or what have you). So a year ago, on the rave review of a cousin, who in mid-July Chicago steamy hot weather, had perfectly smooth, blown-dry hair, and said "It's Wen! You've got to try it!" I did just that. I started with Sweet Almond Mint, and upon first use, I noticed that the texture and consistency of the product itself was actually one of the best, smoothest, and most easily-applied conditioners (using it, of course, as intended per Wen instructions). It felt smoother than most deep-conditioners or detanglers. It saturated my hair; I felt it tingling my scalp and the nape of my neck, and when I rinsed it out that first time, my hair felt re-texturized, even while wet: when I shampoo and condition with a non-Wen product line, I'll rinse out and kind of flip the ends of my hair with my hands, and depending on how my wet hair drops back down against my back, I can tell how it'll act when it's dried and styled. So for example, if I pick up the bulk of my wet hair, and release it, and it kind of...feels hard? or unflexible? then I know it'll be a more resistant styling session. But with Wen, upon first use, I could feel the flexibility after it was all rinsed out, and when it was still wet. And it detangled well, and it felt clean, and without residue. And it was shinier than anything. I only applied it as a cleanser and rinsed it out; I didn't use any of it on my damp hair to detangle. But because I'm OCD and a product junkie, I still used defrizzers and styling creams on my hair (I'm of the belief that the more healthy and healing product you have on your hair, the more it takes the hit, and not your hair's shaft nor it's moisture level, when you blow-dry.) So when I used Wen again and again consecutively, it was easier and easier to spread through my wet hair, to massage it into my scalp, and I'd notice, when I rinsed it out, that *even while soaking wet, and being hit with water pressure, I could still feel lift at my hair line, and at my scalp, more so than with any other product I'd ever used to shampoo and condition*. -- Now, I've used other "co washes" (As I Am Co-wash, and Ren's cleansing conditioner, as well as the co-wash by Nubian Heritage) and As I Am and Ren felt drying, or less slippery, both going on and rinsing out; and my texture was no where near where it was with Wen. The Nubian Heritage co-wash is almost right on par with Wen, but, I'm a sucker for volume at the roots, and for fragrance; and that's where I prefer Wen over NH. - though, in a pinch? I'd take it over any other cleansing/conditioning product or shampoo/conditioner set. So I tried other fragrances/varieties of Wen: Cucumber Aloe - slightly less moisturizing than the Sweet Almond Mint; Lavender - roughly the same as SAM; Pomegranate - also roughly the same, though the consistency of the product felt a little bit thinner; Fig - equally if not more moisturizing; Winter Vanilla Mint - equally moisturizing but somehow I feel like I still had a bit of frizz with it. AND, the baby-fine hair, that grows at one side of my hairline only, kind of like a cowlick, for the first time in years, it was growing in fully and more thick. So that was a tremendous bonus! Also, whereas with many shampoos, my temperamental skin, around my hairline, could be adversely affected and I'd get pimples or even cystic acne eruptions, I'd never, ever had a problem with Wen, in fact if anything, I think it helped clear up my skin. After a three month break from using Wen (because I take things for granted), I started back up again, and immediately noticed a difference in my hair texture, flexibility, volume, thickness, and strength. I use about two pumps or so to detangle my hair after I step out of the shower; and I still use other products to style and strengthen. But using it as a detangler/leave in is AMAZING. I love it even more now. I truly can't imagine not having Wen Sweet Almond Mint. 'm sure I'll get bored in the future and leave it for a week or a month, but when I think about how much shorter my showers are thanks to this product, and how easy, simple, and lovely it makes everything, it's amazing. It's truly amazing. My hair grows faster, it grows longer, and it's no longer a head-ache to wash it, and to feel like no matter what I apply after cleansing, it's still going to be dry, or break off, or just generally be disappointing. I feel like I can check off "great hair" as a beauty goal thanks to this product. Also, the cap that comes with the bottle? Keep that around; when the pump fails to pump the last bit left at the bottom, replace the pump with the original cap, turn the bottle upside, and smack it against your palm to get the rest out. Keep the pump to use for your next bottle. (I like to save every drop!) I think like 99.9% of the product can be retrieved, which is awesome.

on 12/13/2013 12:30:00 PM

Never ever ever ever again!! There wasn't one thing that I liked about this product or the company. It's ridiculously expensive and even after following the instructions perfectly, until the bottle was gone, my hair was limp and heavy. I had a very unpleasant experience with the company as well.. They charged me more every month even after I asked to discontinue. I ended up with a bill of over 100$ for one bottle of shampoo. Even if you can avoid dealing with their online company I wouldn't recommend this. After many years of trying this and that, I ended up going back to a simple shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner.

on 12/6/2013 5:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Yick. I can't stand the minty smell - and even the other fragrances seem to have a minty note.
Blech!

I have fine, limp, dull hair so ordered this one night in semi-desperation watching the infomercial. As a side note, I've never ordered anything from an infomercial before or since! Anyway, that was a couple of years ago and I'm still using Wen. I have tried the other "flavors" thinking the only difference was the scent but nothing works as well as the Sweet Almond Mint. I can't stand the whole auto ship thing and the fact that this stuff is crazy expensive but I swear by it. The results are absolutely amazing for me. On the occasion where I have to use regular shampoo, it really hits home why I put up with the whole sales thing at Wen... because this stuff works like nothing else for me. I don't have to use any gels or conditioners or other products in my hair. I've never in my life had natural lift and body like I get with this shampoo. Oh, and I have hard well water, too.

on 10/17/2013 12:49:00 PM

I JUST WROTE A WHOLE REVIEW, AND MY LAPTOP TURNED OFF. THIS PRODUCT IS NO GOOD. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS AS TO WHY?? FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME AS TO HOW TO RESTORE YOUR HAIR. THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE, AS THIS PRODUCT HAS RUINED MANY PEOPLES HAIR. HAIR IS THE PRIDE,AND JOY OF MANY PEOPLE. THIS PRODUCT WILL CONTINUE TO RUIN YOUR SCALP, AND CONTINUE TO MAKE YOU LOOSE SO MUCH HAIR. IT CAN DESROY YOUR SHAFT OF YOUR HAIR. THIS MEANS IT WILL MAKE YOUR HAIR, THIN, AND MIGHT NEVER GROW BACK AGAIN. I CAN TRY TO HELP YOU RESTORE WHAT YOU LOST. I HAVE BEEN IN FOR TWO MONTHS. MY HAIR WAS LONG, THICK, AND CURLY. IT IS NOW SHORT. THIN, AND VERY PINK. MY SCALP WAS RED, AND BLEEDING FROM THIS PRODUCT!! MY ADVISE TO YOU. 24 HOUR TEST ON A SECTION, OR DONT BUY IT. THEY HAVE A NEW CHEMICAL OR SOMETHING THEY ADDED SINCE 2008.GOOGLE THE STORIES BEFORE YOU TRY IT. THERE ARE SO MANY GOOD PRODUCTS OUT THERE. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM. IF YOU ARE A VICTIM. YOU CAN CONTACT ME. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE, THAT I CAN RESTORE YOU HAIR. I JUST FOUND A SOULUTION TO MY PROBLEM AFTER TWO MONTHS. I PRAY IT WORKS. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. I WILL TELL YOU THE STORY!@! I WILL NOT BE DONATING TO THE CHILDREN CONFIDENTIALLY THIS YEAR! NO HAIR, DUE TO WEN. SO, I WILL GET COUSEL, NOT FOR ME. BUT, TO MAKE SURE THE CHILDREN HAVE HAIR FOR THE HOLIDAY. THANK YOU.

This is only okay. I got this from a friend that was trying to recoup some of the cost she paid for an unwanted shipment of this stuff, lol. I like the feeling that it gives my hair if I use it only occasionally. I started using it regularly when I first got it, and my scalp constantly felt dirty and itchy. It weighed my hair down a bit. I just wasn't all that impressed. I use this now about once a week and it makes my hair feel pretty awesome. I like it, but it's nothing to write home about.

on 10/2/2013 11:01:00 PM

I was skeptical of this because of it being an infomercial and all, but a friend who had been using it said that it made her hair noticeably softer so I decided to give it a try. Overall, I'm really pretty happy with it. The price is a little ridiculous but it's possible to make the stuff last. You definitely DO NOTTTT need to use the amount that they recommend -- use as much as you feel you need. I have fine hair but it's very thick, and the ends are bleached from having an ombre. This stuff makes my hair so soft that after the first use I couldn't stop touching it. The smell is nice but not overwhelming. I feel like it works best if I do sections at a time, and really scrub my scalp. like, REALLY scrub. It's usually annoying but my hair feels really clean after without the feeling of it being stripped or coated in waxiness. I use a clarifying shampoo every 2 weeks; it starts to feel like it looses its cleaning power after that long.

I noticed the ends of my hair looked and felt much healthier after a month of using it, and my hairdresser has commented about how healthy it is (I've been using it for 9 months now). All in all, it's worth the price, not a scam (other than how much they recommend you to use at once), and it gives great results. I buy a new one every time I run out.

on 10/1/2013 3:09:00 PM

I bought this off an infomercial. I loved it for about 4 days then the next day the roots of my hair started looking greasy. I rinsed extra long and used NONE of this on the roots but still had to run out and buy my good old L'Oreal EverPure shampoo for colored hair. Now I use the EverPure shampoo and use this Wen for the conditioner. It's just okay. I was very disappointed. My hair is long, colored cherry black, fine, but have LOTS of it.

on 9/23/2013 10:29:00 AM

Noticed more hair fallout in the shower the first time I used it and the 3 days following. I liked the way my hair looked, but was concerned about the hair loss so I looked at online reviews and was horrified at all the women losing their hair with this product. I stopped using it and am seeing no hair fallout. It sounds like it clogs hair follicles.

Video Reviews & Tutorials