September 30, 2014 | 1590 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2013 10:29:00 AM More reviews by stephessex

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Noticed more hair fallout in the shower the first time I used it and the 3 days following. I liked the way my hair looked, but was concerned about the hair loss so I looked at online reviews and was horrified at all the women losing their hair with this product. I stopped using it and am seeing no hair fallout. It sounds like it clogs hair follicles.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 9:51:00 AM More reviews by RaeRae2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can understand the negative reviews from people who have fine, limp, thin, straight hair. This system would be overkill for such delicate locks. But I have a mop of heavy, thick, extremely long hair that I continually process with color and perms. It typically takes me 5 or 6 different heavy moisturizing treatments and silicone based oils to keep my hair smooth, shiny, and bouncy. If I don't go through an entire ritual of layers upon layers of products, my hair is a dry, frizzy, huge mess. My hair absorbs products like a sponge so I can use a ton of stuff daily and have no problems.

Upon first use of this product I could see a HUGE huge difference! Even in the shower, my hair just kind of fell into a big pile of silky smooth strands instead of feeling like a frizzy batch of straw with regular shampoo. I did mix this with one pump of the Six Thirteen I think it's called. Even with my extremely long, thick hair, I only used maybe 8 pumps of the Sweet Almond Mint Cleaning Conditioner, and 1 pump of the Six Thirteen. I left it for maybe 2 minutes, rinsed, then did just a couple more pumps of the Almond Mint and half pump of the Six Thirteen. I finished with half pump of Six Thirteen as a leave-in.

I used about a nickel sized amount of the anti-frizz styling cream.

Today my hair is extremely smooth, silky, and shiny. It does not feel at all heavy, though I could see with constant use of the Wen system, a person may get buildup. Buildup is GOOD for my hair and I try to achieve it, so I don't care. If I feel like my hair is getting greasy or oily, I will just use a normal shampoo for a day. And if oily greasy buildup becomes a problem, I don't mind just using this stuff as a conditioner and shampooing normally every day.

Yes it's expensive, but so is the other shopping cart full of products that I have bought and tried over the years. I have purchased and used up everything from the cheapest drug store stuff, to the $50 a bottle high end salon brands. At the end of the day, the result is always the same - need to use tons of product, layered on top of each other, to achieve smooth, silky, shiny hair. I am impressed that I've used a total of only 3 products to get the same result. So for me, much less product and less varieties of product for the same or better result.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by JJI74

Ok, this will be a unique review, I apologize in advance for the length of it, but I feel it's important info to know. I fell for advertising and purchased through the Gunthy Renker website.

I LOVE it. I have fine, coarse, super frizzy hair that is extremely hard to manage. After many tries, I finally figured out the number of pumps that work for me. It comes out easy and I don't mind the fact that it does not lather. My hair feels smooth and clean when I get out of the shower.

Fast forward to my running out. I purchased at Sephora the small bottle, since online and stores were sold out of the regular size. I used that up quickly and it was time for another refill. Sephora was again sold out, so I tried eBay and found it there. I placed the order and when it came, I noticed the label was different, but didn't think anything of it. I used in the shower, and the consistency was different and when I got out of the shower, I thought I had purchased a knock off because my hair was brittle and felt like straw, so contacted the seller asap. She informed me it was authentic and purchased from QVC. I went to the QVC website and compared the one she sent me with the one on the QVC website and she was right, they matched. I ALSO compared it to wenhaircare.com and saw it WAS DIFFERENT. I live in Los Angeles, near the Chaz Dean Studio, so I thought I would contact them and see what was up. Here is their response:

***"Thank you for contacting us. You may have purchased a Cleansing Conditioner from QVC or the Chaz Dean Studio and another from Guthy Renker. Guthy Renker carries a slightly different version of WEN than our website www.chazdean.com or QVC. They are both WEN products and are both created by Chaz Dean. Because of regulations on products sold internationally, the ingredient's through Guthy Renker have had to be changed slightly. Chaz worked very hard to make sure that the quality and philosophy behind WEN is still upheld, and that product performance would be identical.
As far as Knock off WEN products out there, unfortunately that does occur. The only way to ensure that you receive official WEN products is to only purchase
them through our website www.chazdean.com, the Guthy Renker website www.wenhaircare.com, www.sephora.com or through QVC or www.qvc.com.***"

*I* recommend the one from wenhaircare.com or sephora.com - that is the one that works for me. But you might want to try both and see what works for you. With all of the mixed reviews, I am wondering if this is the case with a lot of people who have ordered it. Had I not ordered from 2 locations, I would have never known.

Now to the downside...this stuff ends up being expensive :( The bottles themselves aren't too bad, but because you have to use so much, you go through it quite quickly. I have used 3 bottles in 2 months...I really love it. I don't want to repurchase, but I get random compliments on how nice my hair looks....which has NEVER happened before in my life. Argh. I can just step out of the shower, comb and go and let air dry....no fuzz, my hair is unbelievably soft and smooth. I really didn't want to like it, but I am hooked.

Good luck and I hope one of them works for you :)

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by pinkmouse09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have medium length 3b highlighted hair. I bought this thinking "you get what you pay for"... and since its expensive, it should be great! Well, not so much.
I did enjoy this when I first got it, but I noticed that if I use it more than once a week, my hair gets incredibly dry=frizz and impossible detangling... I also don't think you need 16 pumps.. that's a tad excessive.
It's okay if you are using not so much of it... and trust me, once you realized you just paid $100 for a kit, you'll want to make it last forever.
You're much better of co-washing or finding a much cheaper alternative like "Hair One" at Sally's or Loreal EverCurl.

You would also expect that the customer service would be better for such an expensive product. Wrong again! They are HORRIBLE and rude. Don't expect a refund for their double billing.. :(

Not a bad product but certainly not a great one either.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/1/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by thecoralfang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product doesn't foam at all, which is a little weird to get used to, as it's supposed to be a sort of shampoo/conditioner combo. It conditioned my hair well and made it very soft, but also very heavy; it never really felt clean when I used it, and it was harder to style. It just felt perpetually oily, sort of. It didn't smell particularly great, either; not bad, but not stellar. I expected a lot more for the price, I guess.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's just okay. I use it when I shave my legs now.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by LindseyB123

I like this when I use shampoo first, not without. It makes my hair greasy and weighed down :/

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2013 1:59:00 PM More reviews by Angela1013

I've read some reviews about this product making hair fall out, has anyone experienced this? I need feedback on this..

The last thing I need is my hair falling out as I have curly fine hair. I used this product for the first time yesterday before I read the reviews about hair thinning with repeated use of this cleanser, but my hair felt really soft and bouncy so, not bad. I find a little goes a long way on my hair, everyone says to use a lot, I used a few pumps and it did fine, you have to rinse really good. I love the Replenishing Treatment Mist and the deep conditioner that it came with, I think I will alternate with my Organix shampoo and see how it goes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Jessica24601

I did not pay for it, a friend gave me a small tube, thank goodness!! My scalp burned and itched after my first use. I had to rinse my head with cold-ish water a few hours afterwards to sooth it. It did make my hair look nice, but I am just slightly wavy and bendy, not curly or frizzy. I really wish I could like it because my hair looked and felt so nice, but hey, it just irritated my scalp. Also, I read QVC reviews (there are 250 plus) users of WEN stating that after long term use they noticed their hair falling out or thinning. I think I will stick to occassional use of L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioner and my Body Shop Bananna Shampoo. I LOVE Body Shop products in general. They never irritate me. I tried it on a Sunday, it's now Wednesday and my head is still itchy ish days later :( Sorry Chaz, you won't be getting thirty dollars from me a month when I can just pay eight.

UP DATE: I had to stop using it all together. Not only did it burn and itch my scalp, but I tried it just on the ends a few more times and LOST hair. Even my fiance noticed my hair was thinner and he never notices anything beauty wise LOL! My strands were all over our white bathroom floor. Again sorry CHAZ, but I prefer my cheap Suave Coconut and Body Shop shampoos and conditioners, even my L'Oreal Cleansing Shampoo is way better than WEN :(

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2013 2:39:00 AM More reviews by Xrysali12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is great but it depends on how you style it and your air type. First off you need to use a large quantity for one wash. Secondly if you wanna blow dry straight this product isn't for you because your hair is over moisturized so the oils will just burn the hair from the heat. Thirdly, if you have hair that you don't need to style and with a little moisture you can just let it be and look wonderful well then this is for you. I have curly hair that is thin and a long thin face. I need to style it so I get more volume and often straighten so Wen does not improve my looks. Great product and idea but not for me