October 25, 2014 | 1348 users online

Palettes - Bobbi Brown - Chocolate Eye Palette

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2006 12:30:00 AM More reviews by EnjoyTheSilence

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

(Please click on 'Continued' at the bottom to see the paragraphed version of review.) Although I like this palette, I don't LOVE it. The packaging is great, IMO (reminds me of a chocolate candy bar!); the brush & mirror are great; & the 7 shadows for $48 are great...HOWEVER, it's lacking in a few key areas.I'd like the shadows to be a pinch more intense. I prefer to use a light hand to get a sheer effect, rather than have the shadow sheer right off the bat. You get a bit more versatility that way. Trying to build this palette into an intense look takes some work.Also, this palette is lacking a decent highlighting shade. Those with very tan to dark skin won't have a problem finding a highlighter (Caramel Toffee Shimmer Wash or Champagne Truffle Shimmer Wash), but for very pale to medium skintones, forget it! You have to add another shadow to get your highlight. Something like MAC Nylon would've been perfect. I like to add a touch of a very pale shimmery color to inner corners & on the center of the lid to add dimension & create a little drama. I'm NW20/25 in summer & the palest colors in the palette disappear into my skin, rather than highlight.Since I'm a MAC e/s freak, I'll give descriptions of the palette colors with similar (just close; not exact!) MAC shades, as well as ideas for placement.BONE: Like a deeper version of MAC Vanilla. Good to use as a wash before building your eye look. Creates the perfect 'slip' so following shadows don't grab & streak. This color doesn't show up on me at all; it's just a 'retexturizer/primer' of sorts.CARAMEL TOFFEE Shimmer Wash: Like a less intense, slightly more yellow version of MAC Bagatelle. Gives a subtle highlight to the browbone, or OK as a lid color.FRAPPE: Like a sheer, matte version of MAC Era. Good for the crease for a 'no makeup' makeup look (on pale/light skin.) Creates 'shadow' in the true sense of the word; defines the eye with no perceptible color.CHAMPAGNE TRUFFLE Shimmer Wash: Like a weaker version of MAC All That Glitters. Good either on the lid with a deeper shade in the crease, or wear it in the crease with a deeper shade on lid for a smoky eye.CACAO Shimmer Wash: A weaker version of MAC Patina & Bronze mixed together. A fairly versatile shade. Try on lid with Chocolate in the crease for a smoky eye, or wear in crease with a lighter shade on lid. Can be used as a subtle liner, too.STONE: In Between MAC Quarry & Bark. Makes a good crease shade or subtle liner.CHOCOLATE: Similar to MAC Mystery. Good on the lid for a smoky eye; in the crease; or as a liner.Overall, this palette is good for those who crave neutrals & an easy, no-fuss look. If you work in a very conservative environment or hate colorful eyes, this palette is for you. If you live for dramatic eye looks, skip this palette.In my opinion (as a makeup artist), this palette is lacking that pale shimmery highlighter & I'd like to see a bit more gradation between shadows. Some of them are too close to the next once applied to skin. For travel, I'd just have to bring along a few more colors to complete this palette's usability, when 7 colors really should be plenty in itself. continued >>

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2006 7:19:00 PM More reviews by SandraWS

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

New for Fall 2006. Comes in a chocolate colored case with a double ended shadow liner brush. $48.00As always, the texture and blendability of the shadows is silky smooth.Colors are:
Champagne Truffle Shimmer Wash: Medium Beige w/soft pink undertones
Caramel Toffee Shimmer Wash: Light Golden Beige
Frappe: Light Tan (matte)
Cacao Shimmer Wash: Chocolate Brown
Stone: Deep Brown (matte)
Chocolate: Milk Chocolate Brown (matte)
Bone: Off White (matte)
It's a great palette for me. I love neutrals and I like shimmer that's as subtle as BB's. The mix of colors is nice. The browns go from the inevitable bone, to yellowed browns and on to true chocolate. The pigmentation is a little sheer, but I prefer it that way. I'd rather build color up a little than get a dark application right out of the gate. It's nice to create your own color gradations.However, if you're someone who has a lot of BB, or just a lot of neutrals in general, you could probably pass on this easily.

If you are new to BB, it's a great way to try her version of neutrals.

I'm happy with it! continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No