November 24, 2014 | 1765 users online

Dry Shampoo - Cornstarch as Dry Shampoo

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 11:42:00 AM More reviews by bran888

Where has this stuff been all of my life? Apparently in the kitchen...I have oily skin that I have to blot at least once but up to 3 times per day, and oily hair that is good for the day I wash it, but then oily the next morning (and by oily, I mean quite noticeably so).

A couple of hairdressers have told me that I really shouldn't wash my hair everyday...I guess that's true since though my roots get very oily, the rest of my hair can get frizzy and dry-ish, esp. the ends. I tried an expensive dry shampoo (oscar blandi)...and I'm not sure if I didn't use enough, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

I read online that cornstarch (aka unscented baby powder) is a great oil absorber. My face was feeling pretty oily, so I used just the tiniest bit on a powder brush, and wow, my skin was completely matte (but smooth and not dry)....awesome. I decided to try it as a dry shampoo. Just to warn you, I used this this morning, so I can't comment on lasting power. However, it works! I have medium/dark brown hair, so after reading up on DIY dry shampoos, I mixed about half and half organic unsweetened cocoa powder and cornstarch, to avoid the white cast. Don't get me wrong, it's still light going in, but as soon as I massage it into my scalp, you can't see it at all. I used a makeup brush to apply a little bit at a time to my scalp area and massaged it in (I ended up using more than I thought I would, but I'm quite oily). After a few minutes, I ran a brush through my hair, then touched up my front part with a little of my dry shampoo (rubbing it in), and my hair looks great. It actually feels relatively good too. I enjoy the smell of cocoa, but I only really smelled it when I was putting the shampoo on, not afterwards. I'm almost positive that I'll need to wash my hair in the shower tomorrow, but if my hair stays looking and feeling good all day, I will call this a major success.

Edit: end of the day update. As a mattifying face powder, this is amazing!! my face has been shine free all day, and feels smooth. As a dry shampoo, I think it could definitely work for those who are not too too greasy. For me, it kept my hair looking decent for a half day, then i reapplied and it looks ok...definitely better than it would look otherwise, but also not freshly washed. I think this will work well for a going out hair touch up if I wash my hair in the morning and don't want to do it a second time...but to make it through a whole day without washing...I might give it another try, we'll see.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2010 4:52:00 AM More reviews by devlynaskurt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i use cornstarch to degrease my hair on those mornings when i've slept in too long. i put some in an old laura mercier loose powder container and apply lightly to my roots using an old cheap kabuki. i then brush it out. at this point, i usually tease my bangs and crown a bit then pin my bangs back or add hairspray and put my hair up in a twist. i sometimes spritz a bit of body spray on my hair post cornstarch to help w/scent. strangely enough, my hair is most likely to be complimented on a day I've used cornstarch. my default clean hair style is to wear my very dark brown, mid-back length, lightly wavy & fine yet copious hair with bangs & layers around my face--yawn city, style-wise..

anyway, at the end of the day, my cornstarched hair still looks fairly decent, though I definitely have to shampoo twice to get the oil plus powder out of my hair.

wish i could remember where i learned the kabuki brush trick--read it somewhere online but i am fairly sure twas not on MUA. a great many thanks to whoever posted that comment!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2010 7:29:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

Works great as a translucent face powder. You get a lot and its sooo much cheaper than buying and actual face powder. Keeps my skin matte all day. i use this on top of my revlon colorstay and its great!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by kupo_baby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Now I haven't tried tons of dry shampoos but out of the few (cheaper) ones I've tried, this works much better. I get a bit on my fingertips & rub into my scalp, aiming for the under layers so I'm not dumping a bunch of white powder onto my hairline. I don't have problems w/it turning my hair gray even though I have medium brown hair. You can always blast w/a hairdryer for a few mins if you're worried about that. This gives great volume & lets me wait another day or 2 to wash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this as an affordable face powder to set my makeup with no ill effects when all else fails.You will need to apply with a light hand. I don't like all the chemicals and fragrances in commerical face powder. You don't need a ton, just a very light dusting and it sets your makeup wonderfully.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by theymightbejenny

I don't know how I lived before using this stuff. My scalp/hair is so oily that sometimes it gets just a little greasy in the morning even when I had washed it the night before. Yeah, that bad. This stuff is a miracle. I was about to drop money on expensive dry shampoo when I read that you could just use cornstarch instead. Huge money saver right there.

Anyway, I use this in between washings (it's an absolute LIFESAVER when I'm late!) and as a touch up. I keep it in a little container in my bathroom and just dip my fingers in, no fanciness necessary. I fluff it into my roots and bangs, wait a minute, then brush it all out. It soaks up all the oil and even volumizes a bit, too. I have medium-dark brown hair and I haven't had a problem with discoloration, but if you have very dark brown-black hair, then just go easy on it or it might make you look ghostly.

There's no cons to this. If you have oily hair, go out and buy some right now. Make sure to check your pantry first though, you might already have it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2009 8:39:00 PM More reviews by rocknride

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used ordinary kitchen cornstarch many times in my makeup regime. I dip my powder brush into a small container of cornstarch and use it as a finishing powder or blend it with other powders with pigment to set my makeup. I always brush and blend a small amount onto my eyelids to set my eye makeup too. For me it works to keep some of the shine down on my face and less creasing on my eyelids. It is an uber cheap fix for the oilies..

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2009 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Maizzy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this as a face powder. Usually after about an hour of putting on other face powders my nose resembles an oil slick. Not so with cornstarch.

My face has stayed matte the whole day, maybe slightly dewey by the end of the day. By far an improvement :]

I took some of my cooking cornstarch and put it in a little container that makes it easier to dip my powder brush into. it's pretty convenient, actually.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by Suchan

Well, it never occurred to me to use cornstarch cosmetically until I read MUA reviews. I tried it for my hair, and it didn't do much for me. However, I mixed it with my too-dark face powder . . . and it does a fantastic job of keeping my oilies at bay! Frankly, this has worked better than anything I've ever used at keeping my face matte all day. I've had my makeup on for 12 hours now . . . and my face still feels pretty fresh. Instead of raiding my kitchen cabinets next time, I'll go out and buy J&J's baby cornstarch for its shaker-bottle package. Thanks for the recos!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2008 9:11:00 AM More reviews by nunzi182

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this as a transulecent powder on my face for the past couple of weeks to control oil and I have to see it's better than any powder I've ever tried. At nine o clock at night my skin only has the tiniest sheen to it whereas before I was so greasy it was embarrassing, this has been a lifesaver!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No