September 20, 2014 | 1694 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Laura Mercier - Foundation Primer Oil -Free

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by CatrionaShadowleaf

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've nearly used my entire tube of this primer and have finally given up on it. I bought the whole little oil-free kit last Black Friday and have since tried this primer with the tinted moisturiser given, the CoverGirl Natureluxe stuff, Revlon Colourstay and an older Clinque foundation I had bought a while ago - and while all of them managed to stay on places that never touch anything like my cheeks, other spots like my nose, my chin and my forehead wore away within an hour or two of application. I have naturally reddish skin so it was always blazingly obvious when it would win the battle versus my makeup.

As for its oil-free moniker, I completely disagree. Not an hour would go by that I would have to blot my face even having used mattifying foundation and powder.

Nowhere near worth the price. I'm unlikely now to try any of this brand again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2012 4:04:00 AM More reviews by bracelet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not going to rave about this product, but it's also not the worst out there either. My main reason for using primers would be oil-control. I use this currently with my MUFE Mat Velvet and I would say my face would be oil free for around 3-4 hours (during winter/spring) before I need to touch up. This is not bad, but I am hoping to find one that controls my oil well enough that it doesn't require any touch ups at all.

I think you just need to experiment with different combinations of foundation with this primer because this WILL work better with other foundations. For example, when I use this with the Fit Me foundation I get another couple hours out of it.

I don't like the smell of this primer.. it smells really plastic-like but its not a HUGE deal. The consistency is white and resembles moisturizer. Price-wise, I guess its typical for primer but also kind of expensive. It will last you quite a while though.

Overall not bad for oil-control, but I am still looking for something better!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/24/2012 2:55:00 AM More reviews by jennaalatalo

I bought this because I loved my Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation in Bamboo Beige and figured that if I used her primer my foundation might look even better. Plus, I have pretty oily skin and figured that an oil-free primer might help control oil and make my pores appear smaller. HOWEVER, I used this several times and it didn't do anything. I still became very oily, my pores were the same size/just as visible, and it didn't make my face any smoother. Did it make my makeup last longer? Nope. Not even that.

I spent, what, $30 bucks on this? What for? I could've saved $30 dollars and not used anything and got the same result. This goes on like a moisturizer. I use Cetaphil and it's a LOT cheaper than this crap. Very disappointed, especially because I loved my LM SC Foundation.

Will not repurchase and do not recommend.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/23/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by suejean14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product after reading mixed reviews. I'd hoped that this product would work for me but after using this product for after a month, it is a horrible primer. I have oily skin so I assumed an oil free foundation primer would do the trick. Instead it did nothing. I still looked like a oily mess mid day and found myself constantly having to re-powder my face. Now that I've found milk of magnesium, I won't try anything else.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

Hated this. I'd rather go without a primer than use this. It smells like some awful burning plastic, rolled up on my skin when I tried to apply LM's tinted moisturizer and didn't help the wear of the her tinted moisturizer at all and I don't have oily skin. Also did nothing noticeable for fine lines and evening of my skin. The only positive is that this oil free which I needed at the time but overall if you're looking for a great primer I would suggest samples of this first or looking elsewhere.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2012 4:55:00 AM More reviews by gee1ny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was actually really disappointed at this product at first so I put it aside for a while and recently started using it again and have grown to like it. The thing that really threw me off at first was the smell of it. it has a strange plastic-y smell to it, but once it's applied on the skin it seems to disappear. I like that it isn't silicone base like most primers out there. the creamy texture makes my skin soft and creates a nice base for foundation to adhere on to. It works MUCH better with a base applied over it, then applying the foundation. I usually use it with my shu umeura mousse base and it helps my make up stay on for a long long time. though it's an 'alright' product for me, i still want to try the other versions of this primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 3:25:00 AM More reviews by rubylola

I love this primer. I have been using it for about four years and have never had a problem with using it on my sensitive skin. It has kept my foundation in place during the Australian summer which is really humid and also kept my skin from drying out while I lived in the snow. I apply a small amount after I have moisturised and wait a minute until it has set before applying foundation. I believe it really does improve with the application of my foundation. I never have to retouch throughout the day. I think my foundation sits a lot better on my skin with this as a base, I do not need to use as much foundation either. It's definitely an essential product in my kit and worth every cent!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 9:45:00 AM More reviews by inneroracle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hmmm, the jury is out for me on this. I went to Nordstrom a couple days ago for the Cosmetics Trend Show, and they kept talking about Laura Mercier and the flawless face. I had just starting using the Unwrinkle Foundation from Peter Thomas Roth -- which is really more of a tinted moisturizer. My skin had broken out from La Prairie and was clearing up from the Peter Thomas Roth products. I quickly searched reviews online before asking them to color match me. I am not in love with this foundation system. The makeup artist told me that Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle foundation I was wearing was too orange on my skin, but everything oxidizes on me. She insisted I get this primer because it would prevent oxidation. She matched me to beige ivory. This does go on just like a moisturizer. I find the application methods I need to use for the foundation and powder a bit difficult to master, and even with this primer on, the Laura Mercier foundation did oxidize a bit. It was a closer match though. I bought the kit and kaboodle. I couldn't wait to get home and wash my face and reapply for going out later that night. It has been 2 days and 3 applications later, and I have 2 cysts. I am taking a lippie off because I think it might be this primer. I have had luck with Smashbox's primer in the past, and normally my face doesn't like dimethicones. Of course I was using Jan Marini skin care then, and it is more active than Peter Thomas Roth skin care -- at least in my humble opinion it is. I will update if this is the culprit that is breaking me out. I did order Laura Mercier's new radiance primer directly from her website since nobody else is selling it. I prefer a little more radiance in my foundations and am hoping the other primer will provide it. UPDATE: I downgraded this a lippie. I'm certain this breaks me out. I've switched to the Radiance Primer, and I'm having better results.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2011 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Anna12345

UPDATED REVIEW - Still loving this primer!!

SInce writing the old review (below), I have probably purchased half a dozen tubes of this primer. I absolutely adore this product because it doesn't irritate my acne prone skin at all. It feels light and helps my foundation last longer. This has become a HG product for me. It's a must in my every day routine. Everything that I wrote below is still how I feel about the product. I would recommend it to anyone with acne or redness prone skin.
_______________________________________________
OLD REVIEW

I tried a sample of this product and I'm very impressed with how it has controlled my oily T-zone. I know it's not a mattifyer but I think it has helped control the shine.

Normally by now (afternoon 3pm) I would be an oily mess and would have to powder my face to keep my foundation and oil under control, but I've noticed that the general appearance of my face is a lot smoother than it would normally be. Obviously this primer has helped my foundation last longer.

I haven't used this product many times but I can tell already that it isn't going to cause acne. I like that it is oil free and doesn't contain any silicone. This is great news for my acne-prone, combination/oily skin.

Also, it feels very light and is absorbed into the skin quickly.

I've used other primers including a primer from MAC but I find that they generally feel very artificial and thick. Plus, I think they cause acne.

However, this primer is an exception. I am considering buying this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 9:52:00 PM More reviews by Jcarb916

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really enjoy this primer. Smoothes things out and really does hold the product. I purchased this back in December and I'm just coming to the bottom of it! I use just a little bit everyday. It's definitely worth the price.