MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 3/19/2015 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have a love-hate relationship with this product, and I've used it on and off for a few years now. If you have smooth, normal skin, have a tan, and are looking for something with full coverage, ideal for photos/events, this could be great for you. But alas, if you are like me and don't fit the criteria above, let me explain why this may not be a good investment.

First of all, this will probably make you break out if you are oily, or breakout prone, intend to wear this for extended periods of time, or maybe are just a little lazy with your night-time skin routine. It's a thick product, and feels quite heavy, and I think that's a good sign you shouldn't leave it on for too long.

Secondly, it is very easy for this to look streaky and patchy when not applied correctly. It has a very orange undertone (my experience with NC27 & 25). Because of this, you need a a decent tan, a good brush, good lighting and time to make sure you cover your whole face, otherwise you'll regret having applied this at all. Forget about using it on-the-go (the packaging also makes it impractical as a carry bag product). On the plus side, when applied correctly, it photographs well.

If your skin isn't 'normal', here are some things to watch out for: you will get some oiliness happening after a few hours of wear. If you're like me and try to avoid this by powdering, unfortunately this foundation can look a little cakey. I don't know if this has been said before, but you can kind of tell when girls are wearing this foundation and they've set it with powder. It does not look natural.

Finally, a little DOES NOT go a long way, so this may be expensive for you over the long term. It doesn't blend well, as mentioned above, so I find myself using a lot more of the product than I'm used to.

That pretty much sums it up.

on 3/18/2015 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

At first, I loved this foundation, it was like my holy grail, great coverage, super matte finish, blended like a dream, just looked amazing on my skin. Then after a good long while like all the cons just started becoming more apparent to me, it broke me out like crazy! My mom always used to tell me she didn't like that foundation on me because she always used to see bumps on my face and stuff, but I didn't want to believe her. I was always like oh it's acne or something else. Then I sort of stopped using it and I would notice the bumps would subside and that's when I said okay this foundation is not doing good for me. I stopped using the foundation completely and I had a clear face, and I was so sad because I loved it and it was great but it didn't agree with my skin. This foundation does have a matte finish but like 2 hours later I was oily as you know what! Like I could literally take oil off my face and fry something with it! It does have a strong smell to it too, you could like blindfold me and make me smell a bunch a foundations and I can Identify the MAC foundation just by the smell. It's like a sort of factory, chemical, not nice smell and it lingered on my face once I applied it for 10 minutes or so. It is so strong, I really don't mind scents but for those people who do, this foundation is not for you. Also, it is super thick! I've had for like a year and in the beginning it was easy to get to because I would tilt the little bottle a bit and it would come out but once I started like hitting the bottom of the bottle it would take so long for it to come out. I had to tap it like 50 times for it to come out. The packaging for this foundation is not great. Overall, this foundation went downhill for me. I just don't think I will ever use it again because it broke me out.

on 3/18/2015 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It looks great and lasts all day but it makes me break out. If you don't have a pump, it's annoying to get the foundation out.

on 3/14/2015 2:15:00 PM

MAC Studio Fix Fluid shade: NW10
So this foundation is pretty good. From the beginning, i really REALLY loved this foundation. It has its pros and cons.
Pros: Coverage, Sort of long wearing, Smells amazing, amazing variety of shades for every undertone and skin tone.
Cons: sometimes breaks me out, breaks up around my nose and gets super shiny mid day.
Now don't get me wrong, i love this foundation from time to time but sometimes i don't love it. I have acne scarring and this covers it, i don't feel like it's cakey. My nose has patchy dry skin and this doesn't cling to it, it blends like a dream so that's a bonus. Make sure you set with a powder.

on 3/12/2015 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this foundation for a few months now and I love it because it gives great coverage! It's thick and covers everything that I myself do not use a concealer because of the good coverage it gives. I also love how it lasts all day and night. But after using it for a while it has caused me to break out. So I recommend to invest in good cleansing products to take care of your skin. Also, it has a orangish color to it that I feel is noticeable at times which is one bad thing about it. When I went to the mac store she "matched" me, but didn't do a good job at it because I noticed it was too dark and I had to go down a shade. With that said, I don't really know how I feel about this foundation. I have yet to find a foundation that has good coverage like this one.

on 3/12/2015 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

GUYS read before purchasing!
So I used to keep my Mac Studio Fix stocked and ready to go. Literally, I couldn't wait to be done with it so I could go buy more :B
My skin isn't oily nor too dry and I barely break out or get pimples unless Aunt Flo is in town. But after months of using this product, I was starting to get pimples. Granted they weren't in clusters but it'd be one here and there and when I killed them, more of their friends came to their funeral.
So I tried to be more diligent in facial scrubbage and astringents but that issue in combination with the 32$ price was getting a bit rough.
Also, this foundation is VERY thick, granted it's got fab coverage but even with setting powder it didn't last longer than 5 hours esp if outdoors/sweating. Also, the shade the Mac girl rec was spot on but it dried orange so I really had to blend blend blend the foundation.

Finally I realized I just didn't want to spend 40 on foundation IF I could find a suitable copycat.
TWO products that work like this are:

Covergirl 3 in 1: covers really well, better for my skin; less breakouts, a third of the price

and

Wet N' Wild: superior coverage, buildable, less than 5 dollars, lasts long with setting powder, little goes a lonnnnnggg way.

Seriously guys, if you're a brand girl like I once was, then Mac is for you. Esp if you want 10/10 coverage. But I now buy Wet N Wild and it's mind-blowing that such a cheap foundation could be so much better IMO.
Also, Wet N Wild has only like 5 or 6 shades but I find if you buy two and mix them to make your ideal shade, you get double the product for far less than Studio Fix.
Give it a shot, you may save yourself beaucoup $!

on 3/11/2015 7:10:00 AM

Hmmm... Maybe not one of my finest MAC purchases. For full coverage I have to give this product top marks as it is absolutely great for the coverage of redness/blemishes and uneven skin tone. However for someone with a dryer skin type this is not the most suitable foundation. The liquid is very thick and heavy which made it quite difficult to blend, and any powders used after as a finish clung to the foundation resulting in cake face! NOT GOOD :-( this foundation also has a very strong scent, almost like paint? I found this foundation did make my skin break out a lot too... As I do love the coverage I sometimes use a small amount mixed with other foundations however this is only rarely! A similar alternative to this foundation is MAC's Pro-Longwear Foundation which is much better suited for me :-) xo

on 3/7/2015 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have not used a MAC foundation in over 15 years and when I did it was the Studio Fix powder as my skin as a 20-something "youngin" was terribly oily. Now that I'm a woman of "certain" age, my skin is somewhat dry and liquid foundation is a must. The search has been long and frustrating - MUFE's HD Foundation (overpriced), Sephora (bad/no coverage), Lancome (gave me a HUGE zit on my cheek! Why is this $45.50???) and last but not least, Estee Lauder (a very close #2, but pricy). Now enter Liquid MAC Studio Fix Fluid (score!)

Doesn't oxidize

I've been wearing this for a week and I love it! Finish is medium to full and buildable that gives you a flawless look. Note I said "flawless" and not "natural". If you're looking for "natural" this is not the foundation for you.

It lasts a full 8 hour day. With the exception of a slightly shiny nose, no touch up needed

Doesn't cake and doesn't transfer everywhere like most drugstore foundations (you know where that $27.00 is going) In short, this is great foundation.

Two things kept me from giving this the elusive 5 lippies.

MAC! Y'all charging folks $10 for a PUMP???? C'mon! :(

The smell of this foundation is ATROCIOUS!!! What's that all about? The only thing that makes the smell tolerable is that it doesn't last all day but good GAWD, it's bad.

Will I call this foundation the Holy Grail? Not right now. But I will see as time goes on. But, if you're like me and have been using drugstore foundation for ages and are finally looking for an upgrade, give this one a try

on 3/7/2015 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Great everyday foundation and can last an average school and/or work day. I've noticed if I wear it for an extended period, like from 6am to 10pm I'll get really shiny. Don't like that very much but I don't wear it for that long very often either. Couple more complaints.
This foundation legit smells like wall paint. I don't know if anyone else around me can notice, but I get whiffs of it throughout the day. It's as unpleasant as it sounds, but smell doesn't bother me enough for it to be a deal breaker.
Would be awesome if this came with a pump instead of the screw top it does. Don't want to pay $10 for a pump, especially for something I feel should have come with in the first place.

Overall it's a good medium coverage everyday foundation and stays very well and evens out skin tone perfectly, but after very extended wear can get shiny if you don't apply powder or cakey if you do apply too much powder. But if smell is a big deal for you, don't bother. It'll drive you crazy.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I'll admit, this product exceeded my expectations. I think MAC is terribly overrated not to mention their rude employees and extortionate prices are enough to put anyone off. My first ever purchase: the MAC Studio Sculpt concealer was THE worst concealer I have ever purchased. £1 concealer from the chemist worked better than that studio sculpt crap. Formulated for dry skin, my butt. As a result I was terribly skeptical about this foundation. It's quite pricy for something that looks like it belongs in an art classroom. All foundations hate my skin. I've tried Revlon and Max Factor all the way up to MUFE, Chanel, Nars and Dior, and nothing has ever made my skin look good or provided the coverage I need. I hate 95% of foundations because I have huge pores, Sahara desert skin, fine lines and a few bumps and pimples. They cling to my dry patches, cover nothing and come off too easily. I am tan and bought this in NC42. It looks like tomato soup in the bottle and feels and smells exactly like poster paint. The smell is very odd. I have extremely dry skin and as soon as I read reviews about how this is only for oily skin, I panicked. However, all is forgiven because as soon as I put this on my face becomes flawless. Like...porcelain smooth. Mannequin like? Hahaha! I don't mind because I like my skin to look as plasticly perfect as possible. No dry patches, no fine lines...just smooth matte perfection with a hint of dewiness. I guess thanks to the silicones my face looks great with this on. It stays put and doesn't slip off. I love this stuff. I have no idea why it works for me, but it does.