October 21, 2014 | 1941 users online

Lips - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by muffinphonic

I adore this colour - it's a deep scarlet red which has slight plum undertones, it's so vampy and I love the matte formula. Because it's basically a big, soft lip liner pencil, it's easy to apply and you don't end up with colour allover like you get with lipsticks. Love the fact it lasts for ages too and doesn't melt when it's hot!

The only thing i dislike is the price, it's so expensive, only a dollar less than a NARS blush, which is silly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2009 6:29:00 AM More reviews by famous12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Cruella is a striking,deep scarlett red lipstick pencil from Nars. I really like the intense,dramatic allure that it has. I absolutely adore the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils. The texture is a smooth matte. Cruella is a must have if you collect red lipsticks. It is bold and beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 5:15:00 PM More reviews by crybaby

Cruella is one of the most complimentary reds I've come across for my NC25, light olive skin. It's both bright and deep, without being garish. Attention getting, but in a proper way! I think it's a truly neutral red, but it might lean on the cool side just a bit.
I'm very much a lipstick girl, but I quite like this matte pencil. Easy to line and fill in, the lasting power is great, and I haven't experienced any bleeding. Although it is very matte, it doesn't dry my lips out and has a nice cool feeling when applied... it's almost like a stain in my opinion.
Love it! *PIC*

continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 4:42:00 AM More reviews by auddity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for a flattering red lipstick that wasn't too washed out. This is definitely red and will stand out, but it's a gorgeous color and gets me lots of compliments! The pencil is really easy to apply and you don't really need a lipliner for it - bleeding is very minimal, but it does happen after a while, so I use a clear lipliner outside my lips if I'm going to be out for a long time. I put a gloss on top of it because the matte color feels dry, but I think it feels lighter than regular lipsticks and it definitely lasts for a while, even while I'm drinking - I usually just have to freshen the very middle of my lips every so often. (I don't apply the gloss all the way to the edges, which I think helps it stay.) Red takes a lot more careful maintenance than other colors, but I think this product is easier to use than most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2008 11:45:00 AM More reviews by joodles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Cruella is the true classic red I associate with the glamorous Hollywood lips from the 1940ís. The color has an cool undertone and isnít too bright, if you apply multiple layers the color darkens and the cool tones become minimized, which is perfect for me since cool colors tend to clash with my warm colored complexion. The texture of the liner is soft, which makes application smooth and easy. Unfortunately the liner smudges very easily, the staying power is not that great and it wears off unevenly. It lasts through a beverage but it left a hideous ring around my lips after a meal. It also made my lips very dry. I love the color but hate everything else. For reference I have medium warm NC30 skin, brown hair and eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

This is my first velvet matte pencil from Nars. I was a bit worried at first when I purchased this sight unseen from eBay but it arrived today and I'm in love. Doesn't have the gross smell that Nars lipsticks have (or perhaps the one I had went bad on me, not sure), isn't drying, and the color is fantastic - the perfect shade of red! Cruella has some blue tones in it so my teeth don't look as white as they do against other red lip colors, but the portability and formula of this pencil makes up for it. I haven't had any problems with the cap falling off of my pencil, and I moisturize my lips excessively so I didn't find this drying at all. Actually, I found it quite creamy, soft, and immensely pigmented. I purchased mine on eBay for below retail cost, but if I absolutely had to, I'd pay full price for this. For reference, I am NC30/golden undertones, BE 2.0 light and I have pigmented lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2007 5:24:00 AM More reviews by marildu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay, so I finally bought a red lipstick and the girl at Sephora said this color was pretty flattering to almost every skintone. I was fairly hesitant because the price is high but I went ahead with it anyways and took a chance. This was my first red lipstick so it took a little getting used to, but the color is marvelous and very pretty. It is pretty drying. I always seem to have some bleeding issues along the bottom lip, but it's usually after a few hours. I tend to line with the pencil and fill out my lips with a brush. It stays on there really well, but applying a gloss just ruins it. Eating with it is also crazy. I wish this color came in a more creamy form.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2007 1:45:00 PM More reviews by magicinthemakeup

Just bought this lip pencil today...it is a lovely red and seems to last long. it is a little drying but how else is it supposed to stay on your lips. i think it is a good staple. it looks nice on my skin tone (naomi campbell type) but it is a little bright...but red is bright.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2007 9:40:00 PM More reviews by goddessintraining

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well, I love the colour of this. It is a deep, cool toned red (crimson)....darker and deeper than an old favorite, MAC's Russian Red. I am a cool toned ppp. This is matte & slightly drying. I have had no problems with colour bleeding, but if you eat anything that is even remotely greasy (or add lipbalm) it will wear off...otherwise the lasting power is quite good! I think I do not love the big fat pencil format...too much waste when you sharpen for my liking - it does make lining the lips easier when freshly sharpened though. The lid wants to come off when it shouldn't. This was $30+tax CAD at Holt Renfrew. I will not repurchase as I have found better elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2007 7:57:00 AM More reviews by triciagullas

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i'm an nc35, asian and this lipliner/lipstick works well for me from day to night. the matte effect is perfect as it won't bleed nor stain the teeth. works well with my chanel blush orchid rose for an understated elegance