NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

4.3

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

great product, simple application, great longetivity, can be a bit drying, make sure you apply a hydrating balm prior to application. good deep blue-based red.

on 4/4/2011 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Oh. My. God. I cannot properly explain my love for this lip pencil. I have just recently decided to take the plunge into the world of red lips, and now that I have I cannot get enough! This is a beautiful red color and I will never be able to live without it again! The pencil form makes it so so so easy on both initial application and reapplication. I use a red lip liner when I first apply, but as another reviewer said, since it's a pencil the reapplicaiton is almost too easy! Great velvety formula. I also agree that the packaging can leave some to desire. This is my third NARS lip pencil, and I always have to keep them seperate from the other things I am carrying in my purse so that the cap does not accidentally come off and poo all over my other things. lol

on 2/24/2011 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I don't like that the cap could potentially slip off in my bag (which is why I keep it in the box). Since it's a pencil, I find it easy to apply, especially to the bow (top?) of my lips because they're kind of sharp/pointy (did that make sense?). Love the color, I just wore it a few times and have to see how it weathers eating, etc. Looks good on a variety of skin tones. I hate sharpening pencils though, so I guess there are pro's and con's to this shape. If this wasn't so expensive, I would buy it more often.

on 5/19/2010 12:48:00 PM

This is my go-to HG red lipstick!

This is the perfect Red for a pin-up look or when you want a classic red lip. This is an orange based red, so it works well with my NC25 skin! Not too dark, or too bright, this is the PERFECT matte red lip!

This is a great lipstick to add to your red lippie collection, or the perfect starter if you're testing the waters in the sea of red lipsticks..

I love the texture of this lip pencil because it doesn't dry out my lips. I also love that, unlike many reds, it doesn't turn hot pink on me. I found that in pictures it has a slight orange tinge to it, making it more of a warm red than a true red. Not quite the red I was looking for - need something deeper and more of a blood red. The search continues...

on 12/25/2009 1:42:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I received quite a few NARS products from my best friend for the holidays. This being one of them. I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with everything I got. I wore this out tonight and it is almost just as I applied it before leaving. I was afraid to eat or drink but it didn't budge at all. I am in love. As far as applying, it went on so evenly and smooth. Usually I skip liners because they tend to dry out my lips. This worked beautifully. I'm now looking into purchasing a few more shades. Highly recommended.

I love everything about this but the high price. Goes on creamy and is truly velvety and matte. Leaves very little transfer and a good stain remains for the better part of the day or night. If I'm not feeling the matte, or don't want to reapply, it takes pretty much any gloss over it without pillage. Perfect dark red color - neither blue nor orange. I will repurchase if I can't find a more reasonably priced alternative.

on 12/15/2009 11:16:00 PM

another all time fav of mine. i'm a red lips/black liquid liner addict so have tried mannnnnny over the years and this is one of the best if you want deep but not dard redredred matte long lasting lips.

my other fav is mac russian red and this is a similar hue but a little bit more intense, a little bit deeper. and like most nars products i try, compared to mac, a bit more pigmented.

the packaging/application is unique. it's a fat pencil. so really thick. can be annoying if it's not sharpened and you're out on the town, but even with all the sharpening it still lasts a long time. as long as anything else. but on another sense i love that you can sharpen it. you can't do that with normal lipsticks. and when it's freshly sharpened you don't need a liner!

just like with any lipstick i use a liner, to define my outer lip shape, with it on initial application, but then because it's so dense, on reapplication/touchups i don't need a liner. i just use this. and i love it.

when it gets smaller i actually like the packaging cause i can then tuck it in my bra, which you can't do with some fat packaged lipsticks.

great color. great formula. great name too.

on 11/24/2009 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just got this at sephora, and boy am I excited to wear it!

Packaging
Isn't that great. I'm used to shiseido products, which always SNAP closed, and the little plastic cap, while not loose at all, just seems flimsy to me. The size of the pencil itself is a little small for what you pay for, but the tip is just the right size for a lipstick pencil.

Product
Intense. Deep, deep, deep matte red. I personally put a little bronze lipstick in the center just to make my lips a bit fuller, but in general i like the matte. this stuff stays put, too (I've only reapplied after eating/drinking, and that was more a little touchup than actually reapplying it) In fact, it stays on so well that it practically stains your lips. I look forward to trying out the other colors!

on 11/6/2009 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

this pencil makes red lips easy. the shade is perfect for my medium-toned pinay skin, and the color doesn't turn. the wear is quite good. as long as i don't eat or drink, the color stays put for four hours (can't comment on longer than that--i can't go longer than four hours w/o food or drink). i haven't had issues w/this pencil being difficult to fit in a sharpener. it fits in two drugstore sharpeners i bought ages ago & whose brand i can't remember.

Video Reviews & Tutorials