July 31, 2014 | 1285 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been meaning to do a review on this for a while now, but I knew it was going to be a long one! Finally! I am so in love with this hair color. I'm a natural redhead with copper hair that has gold reflection in the light. I love my natural color, but as I've gotten out of my teenage years, I noticed that the color washed me out a bit and was becoming much more dull that it was previously. I didn't want to stop being a ginger, but I also didn't want it to be obvious that I was using dye. I tried everything from high end hair colors like Chi and Matrix, to drugstore ones like Garnier and Clairol. Even the ones that you can buy from Sally's like Ion and Clairol Professional. While I had the best results from Clairol Professional, the problem that I kept having was that the dyes either turned barn red, or didn't show up at all, and they always faded so fast and grungy looking. So I decided to switch to henna after doing lots of research to make sure that I was willing to do the work. I was actually surprised at how absolutely perfect it all worked out.. The mess wasn't that bad, the color was perfect, it left my hair healthier than it started, the price tag was very reasonable, and since I work across the hall from a LUSH store, very convenient. I have done a lot of experimenting with the henna (one test resulted in turning my hair ends green), and finally came up with a perfect mix and way to slightly change the color. My mix for my perfect medium rouge:

To prep, I wash my hair twice, without conditioning or adding any leave in treatments, so my hair will absorb the most product from the henna. It is ESSENTIAL to brush my hair before shampooing, otherwise I'm a tangled mess.

2 cups boiling Pomegranate Tea
2 finely chopped blocks Caca Rouge
1 tbs Paprika
1 tsp Ojon Restorative Treatment

I apply it to dry hair and putting the extra henna in the freezer for root touch ups later that month. I wrap my head in Saran wrap, followed by tin foil, followed by a beanie and leave in for 1-2 hours. Since I'm a natural copper, I don't need to leave it in for a very long time to get a bright red. Others may have to leave it in for about 5-6 hours. After the time has passed, I then fill the bathtub up, and swish my hair around for about a minute, rinse in the shower, shampoo twice, condition, and dry.

It gives me a great red that is the most natural looking I've ever gotten from a hair dye. People ask me if it's my natural hair color, which to me, is verification that it's a keeper. My hair was thicker, healthier, shinier, and the best part, NO BUILD UP! I'm a extremely crazy about keeping things clean on my scalp and hair, since I'm left with gorgeous hair that still feels like hair (not silky slime like other colors) I know that my hair is still in a healthy state.

Sometimes I do like a change and have found a way to lighten, and darken the henna. This is where the experimenting came into play. Some of it good, some of it terrible. But here are my two ways of lightening and darkening the henna:

To lighten, mix 1 cup distilled water with 3 tbs raw honey and 1 tbs cinnamon. Apply, wrap head in plastic, and let sit for 2-4 hours. This may take a few applications, but it lightens the henna without making it look like a different color.

To darken I tweak the mix of henna. Instead of using Pomegranate Tea, I will use red wine (for a deeper burgundy) or coffee (for a richer, more brown red).

Also, a note on clean up, I found that using my hands with gloves was the best application. It feels more controlled, and you don't tend to drip as much. But with the Caca Rouge, if it drips on a hard surface, it's very easy to just wipe away. The Brun, Marron, and Noir have a much bigger tendency to stain, so bare that in mind if you're mixing colors, but the Rouge doesn't stain my sink or tile. Good luck ladies! I hope that all of us discover the wonder of henna and kick those nasty chemical dyes to the curb!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2011 10:05:00 AM More reviews by purpletoes

Pros:
1) im a brunette.. and indian henna dusnt even tint my hair. Caca Rouge did manage to leave a Hint of red. Not to overwhelming and plenty of glossy shine :)

2) given texture to my hair.It really does look healthy now.

3) Given my hair a lot of volume :) i <3 big poufy hair!!!

3) Indian henna powders require yogurt and lime and tea... hell lot of mess!! Caca Rouge jus needs steaming hot water.

Cons:
1) if u dont grate it... a whole chunk takes long to melt. and you have to keep stirring.. sooo u will have to grate it.. its a longer process and lil tiring too but its da better alternative!!!

2) the frangrance is lil over da top kinda lingers on for the next two days...sumthng like a mix of spice and aromatic oil.

3) takes long to wash out.

If u can tolerate all of the cons mentioned above!! this is a product u shud definately use. I think had my hair been lighter the color would be more prominent.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by emmgirl0459

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Lush Henna! It has totally rejuvenated my hair. I had ruined my hair by changing the colour every few months. Red/Black/Red/Brunette/Red/Blonde/Red. With some stripping and bleach washing thrown in. A year ago I almost had a split end on every hair. It was breaking off mid strand. It felt rough and I just hated it. But no way was I cutting it. I love having long hair so I had to find a way to fix it. Now it is soft, very shiny and I get compliments on it most days.
No more nasty chemicals = beautiful hair!
The drawbacks of the Henna is it looks like manure and it has to be left on for 6-8 hours. I leave it on overnight. Oh and it takes a bit of work to wash out the next morning.
It is worth it though. Have a look at my pictures, 2009 pic and 2010 pic. Big difference in shine and the vibrancy of the colour.
My natural hair colour is strawberry blonde so my roots are a vibrant bright red colour. The colour also lasts longer than any other red I've used (a lot). Including Salon colours. I plan on using this forever!

Some Tips for using it:
1 Be prepared for a mess! I put down newspaper and clear away anything that might get splashed and once I have it in my hair, I clear up.
2 When rinsing it out try to get most of it out first under the water, then put in lots of conditioner and with that in try to get most of the bits out. I just keep rubbing it, then shampoo, rinse apply more conditioner and try to get it all out, shampoo, condition.
3 I just chop up the block into little bits rather than grate it. I did that the first time, it takes ages to do and I had a sore arm the next morning!
4 Now I only do the roots. So I mix it up quite thick and cover the roots. Mix the rest with conditioner and apply to the length.
5 I always try to deep condition my hair for the days before I Henna to lock in the moisture. I also use a boar bristle brush right before I put it in to get all the tangles out and to really smooth out my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2011 4:17:00 AM More reviews by sagittarian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I wanted to dye my hair for a long time but I was always very afraid of chemical hair dyes. Henna seemed like a good option but unfortunately it didn't work on me. Black hair is so difficult to dye! I guess if I want any colour I will have to resort to chemical hair dyes.

This product did give a very slight tint to my hair but you would only be able to tell in bright lighting. The cocoa butter made my hair softer so that was an added bonus. But the worst part of using henna, in my opinion, is having to clean the washroom and bathtub after rinsing it off. It will splash and stain everything. Almost gave me a backache!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2010 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ash88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

I have not used the LUSH Henna. But this is just a general suggestion for people who love using Henna. I was born in India and my mom always used henna to color her hair. Actually, the chemical hair coloring started in India only a few years ago, and still color is something which only like 30% of the people use I believe. And in my teenage, I started using it as well because it conditioned my hair and made it shiny. I still use it on my hair , and I always get great results. So, my suggestion is that if there are any Indian grocery stores near your place, you can get like really cheap henna from there. It is probably 3 or 4 bucks. Or if you have an East Indian friend, you can ask them to get you henna from India. It is only like 2, 3 bucks over there. The way my mom and me made the henna paste was- take an iron pot, boil tea and use that water to mix henna, add an egg, 1 or 2 spoons of coconut or olive oil or any other kind of oil, aamla powder, and sometimes few drops of lemon juice and yougurt as well. We made at night and used to apply it in the morning and leave it for atleast 4 hrs. It is definitely messy to wash, but it is a natural 3 in 1 treatment for hair- coloring, deep conditioning, shine, softness without any chemicals.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2010 10:49:00 PM More reviews by Jadielady

I used to be one of those people who was constantly dying my hair. I decided to try LUSH's Henna product, and ever since I have fallen in love with how it has enhanced my natural hair color.
A word of warning, be prepared to spend the whole day on this project. Which can be fun, but if you're expecting it to take an hour or two you'll be in for a surprise :)
I had to wash my hair 2-3 times for all the product to come out, but it is STILL a lovely color and it's been several months.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2010 3:42:00 AM More reviews by gothambird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been dying my own hair various colors for almost twenty years, and thought henna was just for hippie-dippies who wanted to smell like patchouli all day.

Wrong.

I had recently bleached my hair yet again from jet black to red and had (yet again) sustained all sorts of damage from it. I had to cut off a bit due to the bleaching damage, but I liked having red hair again, so didn't mind.

I don't know what made me try Les Caca, but the lush flier intrigued me, and I researched hennas for a few weeks before deciding to take the plunge.

I'll be honest. I didn't do a strand test, but it turned out beautifully anyhow.

I have just past shoulder length hair, super damaged, and a LOT of hair so I just used the whole damn six-block brick and I'm glad I did. I followed the instructions, and found it melted easily enough that I could just sort of scrape it apart with a sturdy plastic knife under the boiling water.

The smell was actually really nice. I had mixed up some straight up powdered henna and lemon juice as an experiment the weekend prior and WOW. Anyone who complains about the smell of lush henna should take a whiff of THAT. Lush henna smelled comparatively gorgeous and spicy.

I wanted firey red on top of my chemically-processed-to-hell-and-back faded red, so I wrapped the HECK out of the mud when it was on my head and even tried heating it under the plastic with the hair dryer.

I melted the plastic a little, but my hair was so mudded that it was all good anyway.

Oh well, I did a little patch job, and I was on my way. I actually put a heating pad on the saran wrap and then wrapped a towel over that and sat that way for three and a half hours.

My neck was sore, my head was hot ... but I was sure it would be worth it, and boy was it ever.

I have never had such a gorgeous red, and the damage is GONE. This red (right now, two hours after rinsing) is sort of a glowing, smoldering strawberry blonde red and it looks incredibly natural.

Is this messy? Yes. Is this fun? Oh hell, yes. I felt like a kid squishing fragrant mud into my hair. Did my husband laugh at my giant saran wrap plus heating pad plus giant towel get up? Absolutely! I had a cord coming out from my forehead plugged into the wall! But I am hooked, I've been dying my hair for a very long time and the luminous glow I have right now with no damage to try and cover up with hair styling products later on is worth it.

Call me hippy-dippy all you want, I've got amazing hair now. Thank you Caca Rouge.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2010 11:36:00 AM More reviews by zero347

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I regularly use henna to cover my grey hair and decided to try this product because I liked the added convenience this product offered, being available at the mall as opposed to having to wait for body art quality Moroccan henna by mail order. In all I found it to be not a bad product, sort of a mixed bag.

Pros: I love the texture and smell of this henna mixture. It disolves into a smoother paste and is already pre-mixed with cocoa butter and other oils to give it a pleasant earthy smell and condition your hair.

Cons: This was somewhat expensive $23 approx for a brick. I also found it tough to dissolve evenly in the water. It did color when left on the same time as I usually leave the baq henna, but it produces a light red as opposed to a rich burgundy like the Moroccan does.

Overall this product is something I would buy again but probably only for the same reason I bought it this time; it's a great stopgap if you happen to run out of baq.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2009 9:24:00 AM More reviews by Fairypants1986

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Messy and greasy and smelly and just eww. And for a real difference to hair colour or condition you have to leave it for hours or overnight- not worth the hassle. I can still remember the greasy drips running down my face from under the clingfilm...*shudders*

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by 4REEDS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG I LOVE THIS HENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a product junkie and have always spent alot of $$$$$ on my hair care I came across the LUSH website one day and I have NEVER looked back. I love all of their products but especially the HENNA my hair has never looked so good, a beautifull coppery/red. My mix is : 2 squares Henna, 2TBSP Paprika, 2 TBSP Applecider Vinegar, and I use Red Zinger Tea instead of water.( I have shoulder lenghth hair)I wrap it tight with sarran wrap and put a swim cap over that to keep it snug and warm the only thing I could do without is the amount of time I have to leave it on.
I leave it on for 6hrs and every hour In blast it with some heat and then just rinse, rinse,rinse condition,shampoo,and condition again and im done, and YES its worth the hassel!!!!