July 25, 2014 | 2031 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2011 4:39:00 PM More reviews by BoxcarJessie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This lil puppy rates on my top, lush, red lippies of all time! I love it for daytime as I can't go wrong with a red lip for my skin tone. This red is gorgeous and the quality is excellent! It applies like one lovely MUAer said below, semi-sheer and builds up to a decadent, blue based, cherry, cheery, brick red that differs from any other red lipstick I own. At 99 cents, it's a steal so I can't help by recommend this gem of a lipstick to anyone and everyone I meet that is wary about trying a red lip. It tends to work on everyone I've recommended it to, either applied sheerly with finger tips as a bit of a stain, or applied in multiple coats for a more dramatic, vampy, sultry look. The smell is nice too! It wears incredibly well for a cheapo lipstick too. When paired with my Rimmel 1000 Kisses lip liners, it lasts throughout the day with minimal touch ups. Took me a while to pick this one up but I finally did and I must say, it was worth the wait. Blue Rose is my 2nd favorite in the NYC lipstick line..Sheer Red will always be my 1st. GO NYC!!!

xoxoxo
- Mad Madam Jess

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2011 2:26:00 PM More reviews by sillychicken

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The only thing I can complain about is the packaging. When I place the cap back on I have to be careful so I don't cut a chunk off since it doesn't twist down all the way. I would be happy to pay a couple of dollars more for better packaging but the current tube won't stop me from buying this again. It lasts a few hours before re-applying and feels smooth and moisturizing. My lips look and feel soft when I'm wearing this. The color is bright and cheerful but doesn't make me look like a clown or like I'm trying to get attention. The scent and flavor don't bother me. I find it goes well with Revlon Colorstay lipliner in Red whether I apply a heavy or light coat. I just line the top lip and this is a perfect match.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by haveaguinness

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best 99 cents I've ever spent. Beautiful cherry red color, but I think "Semi-Sheer Red" is a more accurate name; for reference, this is definitely a more intense and brighter red than Lipstick Queen Medieval. Smells exactly like Twizzlers and even though I usually hate scented makeup, I kinda love it. Great d/s find.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 12:45:00 AM More reviews by NssjPryncess408

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For referance i am an Mac NC30/revlon color stay medium beige...I was on the hunt for the perfect redlipstick..after watching beautybroadcast on youtube i seen her rave about this..and im so glad i went to walmart and found the last one..its the perfect shade for me..definetly isnt sheer.i put my nyx liner in redhot under it and put sheer red over..last for quite some time and no bleeding..for 1.99 i will be repurchasing again when or if i run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by sugamonkey

Got this based on mua reviewers and im glad i did. Im asian nc30 w yellow undertones. I wouldnt call it sheer but it takes a few swipes to make it a deeper red. On my lips, this looks prety close to MAC Dubonnet.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Tiffieotheory14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE red/plum lipsticks! I started out using the ColorSensational Lipsticks from Maybelline and I loved everything about them- except the texture. The smell made me a little nostalgic and the pigmentations were absolutely intense; they just ended up drying up my lips even with lip primer or lip balm under them. I loved on to the Colorburst Lipsticks from Revlon and found my HG plum lipstick in...well, plum. All I needed was a red lipstick and I'm set!

I was watching a couple of EmilyNoel's vlogs that included the NYC's Sheer Red Lipstick and I had to go try it on my own! The first try, I hated how sheer it was. But after a few more used, I loved the sheerness but I could always apply multiple times to build it up. I'm not a huge fan of the dull and clay-like smell it emits but I am an adament fan of its moisturizing capabilities. It is long lasting it's a reasonable price for such a high quality product.

I'm still in 11th grade but this lipstick doesn't appear to be overpowering or too flashy. I've gotten many compliments and I truly thank this product for them.

I will be repurchasing in the near future! I will also look into the other hues NYC supplies!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2011 1:29:00 PM More reviews by meteorfreak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had heard many good things about this lipstick and specific color, so I thought it would be nice to try for a first bright red for me. The moment I tried it though, I realized why it is so cheap. The quality of the formula is worth exactly how much you pay. No matter how moisturized or soft my lips were, the product broke up oddly on my lips and left weird streaks that just made my lips look awful. The color is okay and the smell is... odd. I haven't tried another one from this line since so I'm not sure if my lipstick was simply defective, but I would not recommend this to my friends. Also, the packaging is annoying because you cannot roll the lipstick down before capping it, and almost always end up nicking the lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 8:55:00 AM More reviews by mighttango

The perfect sheer red! I wear it without lip pencil, adding a little gloss for winter time chapped lips! Yes, you can nick the lipstick if you aren't careful placing the top back on, bummer. Great color, great value.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 1:22:00 AM More reviews by alziebaba

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A beautiful, entry-level, cool-ish red if you're not used to wearing assertive colors on your lips. Even if you're tempted, don't wipe it off before wearing it out at least once, no matter how you think it looks. Grow a pair and try it. Doesn't look whorish or clownish on full lips because it's not an opaque, matte, bright red; catches light and makes thin lips look more full because it has a sheen to it. I wear it as an alternative to brighter, more concentrated reds that basically scream "this is my seduction makeup!!!" I put it on my mom, who refuses to wear red lipstick, and she looked fantastic. Red lipstick IS flattering to most women (why do you think it was the only lipstick universally worn during decades of hardship?), it's just that they won't take the plunge because they're afraid of looking too vampy. I am an avid fan of red lips and I wear many shades out - this is one I always feel comfortable wearing to work, even for a meeting with my boss. I put it on when I'm just running out for something and don't want any other makeup- it is an instant perk-up. Try it out and see what kind of reaction you get - most likely it will be flattering second glances and people staring trying to place what it is about you that is so appealing. It's not stop-sign red at all, nor is it a clear, sticky gloss. This is a really good style and consistency of lipstick to try if you've never worn red lips before, and may help you to venture into stronger reds. Heck, it's cheap enough that you can just give me the tube if you decide you don't like it. But be careful with the packaging because it's easy to mash the lippie with the cap when you put it back on.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2010 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Hannahbby2

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This red is absolutely gorgeous. While searching for a nice red to wear this holiday season, I picked up two of the NYC 99 cent lipsticks, one in Retro Red and Sheer Red. I tried Retro Red first, thinking it would better suit my warm skintone since it's more of an orange red, but it looked way too bright and clownish. I wiped it off and tried on Sheer Red, and I immediately fell in love. It's a darker red with more of a berry tone. It's definitely a cooler red, while Retro Red is straight up ORANGE on me. :/ I usually pair this with Rimmel's lip liner in Ravish since it's pretty sheer on it's own, and the color is to die for. It looks awesome with some winged liner and falsies. You can't go wrong with this, and for 99 cents, what have you got to loose?

Can't wait to wear this tonight! (Christmas Eve)
Happy Holidays!