September 17, 2014 | 1729 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by caribwoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Decided to give this a shot and I'm very satisfied with the results. I have an oily t zone and lots of sebums in that area but other parts of my face is dry, I mixed grapeseed oil and almond oil then massaged my face for like 7 mins then wiped with a hot towel. Best deep cleanse I had in a long time, it didn't remove all the sebums but I saw a big difference. I plan to do this once a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by peace333love

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, first an insight on my skin... It's combination, extremely acne-prone on my lower cheeks and jawline... It's been under control for about a year or so, but i noticed some whiteheads appearing basically everywhere, little, practically invisible bumps, only noticible under a harsh neon light... And I wanted to do sth about them, so I decided to try out the OCM... I used sunflower oil, twice a day... During the first week my skin looked amazing, this got rid of my bleckheads completely, my face looked healthy and radiant, felt smooth and soft... Then week 2 came along and... BAM! My skin broke out like no other... I got acne all over my face, mostly in areas where I don't normally get them: forehead, sides of the nose, upper cheeks, just horrible... It's been like this for about 9 days now, and they're constantly going away and new ones are appearing... I think I'm gonna stop doing this all together, starting today... Might still do it once a week for a deep cleanse, but not more than that... I'm still not sure if this is just a purging period, but I just can't take any new acne, especially since before the OCM my face looked ok, nice actually... This was a bad decision and I hope the acne it gave me goes away soon... :/

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bluebelleyes

For the past four years I've tried everything under the sun to heal my acne prone skin. After reading countless blogs and reviews on the oil cleansing method I decided to try it, using various different oils. With varying success depending on the oils used I was mildly pleased with how it was going. My naturally oily skin seemed to be producing less oil during the day and my makeup was going on smoothly onto my well moisturized skin. AND THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE AND MY SKIN TURNED INTO A HORRIFIC LANSCAPE OF MOUNTAINS AND CRATERS AND THERE WAS MORE RED SWOLLEN LUMPS THAN REAL SKIN. It was the breakout of the century. One that I will not be forgetting anytime soon. Nor will my skin. The hyperpigmentation and scarring will be a lovely reminder of this experiment for a long time to come.
I've read a thousand and one times by beauty bloggers and dermatologists and whoever, that the right oils will not clog your pores. And I really, really, really, want to believe it. But proof is in the pudding. No more oils for me. Ever.....ever............ever.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by lonileverz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I seriously do not recommend this for people trying to treat spots caused by oily skin! I used a combination of 2:1 castor to jojoba oil with tea tree essential oil every night and my skin got worse immediately. My spots weren't that bad in the first place but now I have had a horrible break out so I am going back to my body shop tea tree wash (very good!).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Tried pure OCM (purely washing with oil only with no chemical treatment) several months back. Was in search of an organic method.
Jojoba oil / castor oil / tea tree oil / grapeseed oil mixture trial and error was done.
I used only oils to clean my acne prone face and back for about 2 months with different variations. There was no significant improvement. Face will look super greasy everyday with comments from people around you and greasing feeling also makes me really uncomfortable.

With all the balance of oils leftover from pure OCM, i decided to use them as an additional cleansing / protection for my skin.
Thus, i would use OCM to cleanse / massage my skin first everyday at the end of the day during shower, then proceed to wash off with my regular cleanser. After that, apply regular treatment / moisturizing cream and im off to bed. Results have been good so far, thus 4 stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by allianchor

What a nightmare. I used coconut oil with grapeseed and tea tree, and let me tell you, it doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, you will have the worst breakout of your life. I got acne ALL OVER my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Basically everywhere but my cheeks. It took about two weeks for the breakout to come, and then bam. My skin was ruined. My acne wasn't even terribly bad in the first place, I just had a few spots here and there that I could never clear up, so I decided to give this a go. Well, that was about three months ago, and I just got rid of that terrible breakout thanks to an expensive cleansing system called Obagi Clenziderm. At least I have a nurse in the family who got it for me half priced, and even then it was $80. That's what I get for trying to go natural. -_-

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by alidog

BLAH. I wanted so bad to love this... but I just hated it. I USED FOR ALMOST A WEEK, here is what happened:

I mixed 25% castor oil. 70% EVOO and 5% coconut oil. My skin type is rather normal with hormonal breakouts along the jawline every now and then.

Day 1-The first time I used this I liked it... felt nice and skin felt nice after. The following morning skin looked nice.
Day 2- skin seemed a little dry. Maybe too much castor oil? I did wear full makeup today, and the OCM didn't take all the makeup off. I had to re-wash with philosophy purity.
Day 3- woke up to tight feeling skin, but looked nice. Liked the OCM.
Day 4- skin still felt tight, so I made a new solution: 80% EVOO, 10% coconut oil, 10% castor. Still didn't wash off all the makeup. I'm beginning to become frustrated. Skin is also itchy is a few places.
Day 5- skin was not only tight I had some flakiness along the cheeks and I am noticing some DEEP RED pimples forming. Two on jawline, One on cheek and one near my lip. NOT NORMAL for me... since this is the only thing I"ve done different... obviously it's the OCM.
Day 6- I try to stick it out, even though I don't want to. Pimples from yesterday are deeper and red and no head is forming. This means they will be the two week long pimples. Dry patches on the skin. Itchy. I'm so upset I did this and am no longer continuing.

Maybe it was my fault and I didn't want to waste time finding the right mix... but either way: not worth it!

A week later and the pimples are just now starting to heal and my skin is still dry. I've had three more pimples come in as well on day 6,7 and 8. (7 and 8 I didn't even use the oil) I've had to do so many facial treatment that I normally don't do for acne. I don't care if my face was just adjusting.. not worth it.

More research found that this probably clogged my pores. Stupid idea.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2013 10:00:00 AM More reviews by cah123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has had me up and down like a rollercoaster and I would not recommend. Although, I must add I only used castor oil and jojoba oil so this might be part of the problem. Months ago I tried this after stopping my BP gel. I'm always searching for natural products and have almost gone completely natural in my skincare. At first I was in love. It completely cleared my skin and scars and I felt amazing. I loved massaging the oils into my face and it is fab for removing every scrap of makeup. But after three months my skin erupted into the worst acne I have ever had. I had large, painful cysts covering my cheeks, chin and even my forehead. I put it down to my BCP but even after switching pills my skin was worse than ever. I stopped the OCM but my skin took months to clear up. Still denying it could've been the OCM after it gave such good results at first, I tried it again, only to start getting a couple of painful spots a few months after. Luckily I stopped using it in time and my skin recovered but its still got heavy scarring from the huge cysts I got from the first time. I think it's initial glowing effects are why it gets such good reviews as everyone reviews it after only a month. I'm sure there are other oils that can be used that will work well and not break you out but I would be very careful!! At the moment I have switched to Ultrabland from Lush which is a similar technique to the OCM of steaming your face but the waxy consistency doesn't clog my pores.

Read my review here: http://sheephishlysimple.blogspot.co.uk/

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2013 5:59:00 AM More reviews by FeralCreature

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my review for the more "traditional" OCM - massaging with oil then using steam to remove said oil. I have since moved on, with much greater success, to oil cleansing with an emulsifier but I tried this way first.

NOTE: I have volitilely combination that can flip the switch between oil-slick and antique parchment in the blink of an eye. Additionally, most things (in the world) seem to either cause clogs/breakouts or compromise the pH levels, and therefore the protective barrier, of my skin. I do not have *sensitive* skin, per say, except in regards to chemical exfoliation and highly concentrated doses of isolated ingredients.

I decided to try OCM one day after having a lifetime of bad luck with foaming, cream, or other cleansers. I tried the recommended blend of *your choice of oil* with castor oil, as well as hemp seed oil (my choice) alone. In theory, massaging oil onto your face is supposed to help remove clogs because the oil binds to and dissolves the sebum in your pores. The problem hereafter is how to remove the "dirty" oil from your face when you're done. With OCM, you're meant to repeatedly steam it away with a cloth soaked in hot water.

There are two major issues with this method. One being that frequent and repetitive steaming can be damaging to the skin. The other being that this takes SO LONG. I knew little of the potential damage when I attempted OCM, so I was gung-ho about the steaming but I quickly became irritated with this method. I was using OCM to remove makeup before bed and the last thing I wanted was to spend 10 times as long on my PM skincare routine. I think some days I wasn't thorough enough, but for the most part I stuck this out for about 6 weeks (two with castor, but it seems like it was breaking me out, so the remainder with just hemp). Even when I was a bit more impatient, my skin was clean from any (detectable) trace of makeup or sunscreen when I went to sleep.

I started to notice much more clogging than usual as well as a few deep, painful pimples popping up around 4 weeks, and the original clogs that I had blamed the castor oil for hadn't improved. I had also been continuing my research on OCM and reading horror stories about severe cystic acne and notable damage to even non-sensitive skin like mine. It seemed like steaming was taking up a lot of time but not actually removing the oil, sebum, and leftover m/u from my pores. I ended up following with a foaming cleanser for a while but that sort of defeated the purpose since foaming cleansers were my issue to begin with. So I gave up and tried a few more actual cleansers before deciding to try oil cleansing WITH an emulsifier (which I'll review under OCM with Polysorbate). Adding an emulsifier just made sense to me, since the purpose of one is to bind oil to water, thus maiing it easy to fully rinse your "oil cleanser" off your face without all the steam.

Overall: I won't try this again. Oil is effective at removing makeup and sunscreen but I need something to then remove the oil, and steaming just isn't it. This method may work for some, especially if you don't wear ss or m/u that needs removing or just want to deep clean the pores every so often.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2013 5:04:00 PM More reviews by holychiller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This technique initially made my skin look and feel great, however after a few months it resulted in the craziest cystic acne I've ever experienced - which scarred and I am still dealing with the aftermath. :( :(
What I tried (for appx 4 months)
1:4 ratio -
castor oil : sunflower oil
castor oil : olive oil
castor oil : almond oil
castor oil : jojoba oil
**rotated through these combitations but none worked for my skin

Routine every other evening:
1. steam face GENTLY
2. mix oils, massage for 5-10 minutes
3. steam off gently with warm washcloth (new washcloth every day)
4. moisturize if skin felt dry/tight and go to bed

My skin was sooooo smooth, definitely reduced the number of blackheads but HOLY COW!!!! When my skin finally had had enough, I had terrible cystic acne. It's slowly clearing up and is almost gone.