October 21, 2014 | 1714 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2013 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Anadgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to take a moment or two to write this review. I am 54 and have struggled with acne for the last 25 years. Everything I try works for a couple of weeks or so, then I end up irritated, hence breaking out more. I have super clogged skin, and it doesn't take much to set off a round of small bumps, blackheads and cysts.

I did some reading on Japanese cleansing routines and decided to try OCM. I use 50/50 Castor Oil and EVO everynight. I start by taking off some makeup with a warm washcloth, gently. I then apply the oil and massage my face for 2-3 minutes, then rinse off the washcloth with warm water and go over my face 2x, removing most of the oil. After that step, I wash with Giovanni's body bar, which is a fabulous bar of soap, IMO. After I rinse about 20x, I dampen a cotton square and put one squirt of rubbing alcohol and finish my cleansing with it...yep, rubbing alcohol! My face is smooth as a baby's bum...then I apply an OTC retinol cream. In the morning, I use a fresh warm washcloth to clean my face...no cleanser.

Once a week, I exfoliate with a 40% lactic acid peel.

About a week into this routine, I broke out with deep cysts...but for some reason I decided to stick with it...perhaps because my face didn't feel or lookirritated...in fact, it glowed...the cysts went away after a few days...I then started purging in all my trouble spots.

I've been on this routine for a month now and my face has never been calmer and clearer...I'm still purging a little, but when all that gunk comes to the surface, it goes away within a day or so...and stays away.

I can't believe how good my skin looks...I could not be happier!

Also, super important to not use comedogenic oils, like Coconut...

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by arielleem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

So I have had pretty bad acne for about 10 years. My skin is really dry so it's so hard to find products since most people with acne have oily skin. I read up on the oil cleansing method and was so intrigued. I kinda over did it. I was oil cleansing every night and it felt wonderful. It's like your own mini spa treatment and you can actually feel and see the dirt being removed from your pores. Once a night is WAY too much. I broke out even worse than before and it took months to go back to normal. Now I oil cleanse once a week to pull all the gunk out and that seems to be working well for my skin. I use castor oil and switch off between sweet almond oil and jojoba oil. Will use once a week to give my skin a break from drying soaps and really pull all the dirt to prepare my skin for a new week.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2013 7:41:00 AM More reviews by EmJay31

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I started using the OCM as I've used grapeseed oil in the past and seen great results. I used about a 60:40 ratio of grapeseed oil and castor oil, and for the first couple days my skin looked great - it was smooth and relatively clear. But then two weeks later, I have broken out in the worst cystic acne I think I've ever experienced! My face is sore and swollen, and every day there's a couple more! I stopped using the OCM after a week and a half, but I'm still seeing the effects. I'm pretty certain it was due to the castor oil since I've used grapeseed oil for years with no problems. I did a quick google search and it seems like there are plenty of people who have tried this method and gotten the same awful results as me - unfortunately for some, it's taken months to get their skin back to normal. Obviously it has worked for some people but I would be very cautious about using this method - if it doesn't work, it's pretty disastrous :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by cherchesesmots

I've used OCM for many years. After going through raving reviews and condemning reviews plus a little research here and there, I concluded that our skin is a very sensitive organ. Too much of a rigorous cleansing will offset the good. Truth is, oil cleansing is not mild, and is only advised to be used from time to time to degunk. E.g. once every week or 2 weeks or even once a month. Stripping away ur face's natural balance is going to cause v bad outbreak. Like food, there is no one magical food.

Following a BHA/ AHA exfoliation , let ur face rest for a day before u do OCM, do clay mask (to suck up excess oil) the next day and follow up with another round of BHA. But even doing so can be too much for one's skin. So what I am saying is we need a range of method to chemically exfoliate then dissolve hardened clogged pores, sucking up excess oil & recovery.

If u r including castor oil into ur OCM, proceed with caution and add a drop more at a time to introduce such strong element. Then will slowly build up the tolerance. I also feel that its much SAFER to include emulsifier into OCM to prevent build up of oil together with our already easily clogged pores. Remember, blackhead is actually v common and v stubborn so be patient, be gentle to your skin and good luck!

PS// get real organic, unadulterated- cold pressed & unfiltered oil only.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 9:22:00 AM More reviews by caribwoman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Decided to give this a shot and I'm very satisfied with the results. I have an oily t zone and lots of sebums in that area but other parts of my face is dry, I mixed grapeseed oil and almond oil then massaged my face for like 7 mins then wiped with a hot towel. Best deep cleanse I had in a long time, it didn't remove all the sebums but I saw a big difference. I plan to do this once a week.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by peace333love

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, first an insight on my skin... It's combination, extremely acne-prone on my lower cheeks and jawline... It's been under control for about a year or so, but i noticed some whiteheads appearing basically everywhere, little, practically invisible bumps, only noticible under a harsh neon light... And I wanted to do sth about them, so I decided to try out the OCM... I used sunflower oil, twice a day... During the first week my skin looked amazing, this got rid of my bleckheads completely, my face looked healthy and radiant, felt smooth and soft... Then week 2 came along and... BAM! My skin broke out like no other... I got acne all over my face, mostly in areas where I don't normally get them: forehead, sides of the nose, upper cheeks, just horrible... It's been like this for about 9 days now, and they're constantly going away and new ones are appearing... I think I'm gonna stop doing this all together, starting today... Might still do it once a week for a deep cleanse, but not more than that... I'm still not sure if this is just a purging period, but I just can't take any new acne, especially since before the OCM my face looked ok, nice actually... This was a bad decision and I hope the acne it gave me goes away soon... :/

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 10:56:00 PM More reviews by bluebelleyes

For the past four years I've tried everything under the sun to heal my acne prone skin. After reading countless blogs and reviews on the oil cleansing method I decided to try it, using various different oils. With varying success depending on the oils used I was mildly pleased with how it was going. My naturally oily skin seemed to be producing less oil during the day and my makeup was going on smoothly onto my well moisturized skin. AND THEN ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE AND MY SKIN TURNED INTO A HORRIFIC LANSCAPE OF MOUNTAINS AND CRATERS AND THERE WAS MORE RED SWOLLEN LUMPS THAN REAL SKIN. It was the breakout of the century. One that I will not be forgetting anytime soon. Nor will my skin. The hyperpigmentation and scarring will be a lovely reminder of this experiment for a long time to come.
I've read a thousand and one times by beauty bloggers and dermatologists and whoever, that the right oils will not clog your pores. And I really, really, really, want to believe it. But proof is in the pudding. No more oils for me. Ever.....ever............ever.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by lonileverz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I seriously do not recommend this for people trying to treat spots caused by oily skin! I used a combination of 2:1 castor to jojoba oil with tea tree essential oil every night and my skin got worse immediately. My spots weren't that bad in the first place but now I have had a horrible break out so I am going back to my body shop tea tree wash (very good!).

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by kelkelkel87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Tried pure OCM (purely washing with oil only with no chemical treatment) several months back. Was in search of an organic method.
Jojoba oil / castor oil / tea tree oil / grapeseed oil mixture trial and error was done.
I used only oils to clean my acne prone face and back for about 2 months with different variations. There was no significant improvement. Face will look super greasy everyday with comments from people around you and greasing feeling also makes me really uncomfortable.

With all the balance of oils leftover from pure OCM, i decided to use them as an additional cleansing / protection for my skin.
Thus, i would use OCM to cleanse / massage my skin first everyday at the end of the day during shower, then proceed to wash off with my regular cleanser. After that, apply regular treatment / moisturizing cream and im off to bed. Results have been good so far, thus 4 stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by allianchor

What a nightmare. I used coconut oil with grapeseed and tea tree, and let me tell you, it doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, you will have the worst breakout of your life. I got acne ALL OVER my forehead, around my nose and my chin. Basically everywhere but my cheeks. It took about two weeks for the breakout to come, and then bam. My skin was ruined. My acne wasn't even terribly bad in the first place, I just had a few spots here and there that I could never clear up, so I decided to give this a go. Well, that was about three months ago, and I just got rid of that terrible breakout thanks to an expensive cleansing system called Obagi Clenziderm. At least I have a nurse in the family who got it for me half priced, and even then it was $80. That's what I get for trying to go natural. -_-