April 18, 2014 | 1031 users online

Treatments - Polysporin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Chickeys

For a serial picker like myself (I know, I'm TRYING to be good!), Polysporin is a godsend. I use it on angry spots and it not only calms the redness and pain, but lessens the scarring and helps heal it so much quicker than regular Neosporin. I think someone mentioned the presence of 3 antibiotics...but I think the reason it works better is because it's oil-based and moisturizes the spot, instead of forming an icky scab that is easily picked off by a towel or cleansing routine. I use Polysporin at night, and it is really nice stuff. Super-cheap to boot...packaging could be better with a flip-top lid but if you have little ones the screw tops are good. :-) I will always have this in my bathroom!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2008 2:34:00 PM More reviews by mettabee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this for healing blemishes, it's better than a BP spot treatment in my opinion. It's non-drying unlike BP and reduces swelling and redness, great stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My boyfriend had painful, cystic acne and razor bumps from shaving, on his face. I tried in agony to find something suitable for his sensitive, dry skin. Then I came across this through a recommendation from a coworker. My boyfriend smooths a tiny amount on his face, applies shaving cream on top of it, then shaves. He then follows with another thin layer of this stuff to heal any cuts. His face has finally cleared up and he's not as self-conscious of his skin no more. We both recently discovered neosporin with pain relief and that has also worked really well.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by mam4993

I did not think this product worked at all. I applied it both to pimples under the skin and to blemishes that I'd picked at, and noticed absolutely no difference. I've used Vitamin E for healing scabs before and found it much more effective. I noticed no difference at all after a week of use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2008 4:35:00 PM More reviews by YaddaYaddaYadda

I never would have thought of trying this if I hadn't read it here. I don't get many breakouts these days, but I do get the occasional huge, angry cystic type of pimple that takes forever to heal, and leaves a red mark on my skin for months. It really does work -- but in my case, only on pimples that have already opened. The petrolatum base seals the wound and seems to speed healing and reduce redness...it also keeps the healing pimple from getting all flaky and peeling.

I apply a small amount with a Q-tip (an attempt to keep things sterile and keep the greasy stuff off of my hands). If I need to wash it off, I use an oil-based cleanser. Wonderful stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 11:58:00 PM More reviews by andrea40

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

On an angry sore zit polysporin and a bandaid overnight and the pain and swelling is gone!! I suffer from nodular acne and this has been my lifesaver! It totally reduces the swelling and pain of an inflamed pimple.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by cerecita

I don't think I've ever used a product that gave immediate results...

i had a little scab on my skin, it was bleeding and all, and red! ..
at first i used 100% aloe vera gel, which is suppose to be good for wounds, but after 4 days of using it , it was slow kinda

BUT THIS POLYSPORIN, AFTER 2 DAYS it healed soooo much, the redness lessened by like 60-80% after 2 days! i used the 'fast-acting' version

i love this

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2008 7:18:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

This is not an acne product. Instead, its a skin healing ointment that is good to use to reduce inflammation and redness. Inflammation and redness are often associated with pimples. I haven't found this product does shorten the life of a pimple or really do anything more than help to take away some of the redness and allow for the pimple to go aay without leaving a scar.

This product can be pore clogging, so this is definitely soething to be cautioys of when applying firectly to the face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2008 11:37:00 PM More reviews by e_L_L_e

i have only started using this product a few days ago, so i'm a bit worried about any potential long term effects, hence 1 lippie off. i have been using tea tree oil for a long time as a disinfectant after a hand picking frenzy. and lately, i'm developing sensitivities: tto always leaves my skin looking red and raw, and occasionally a chemical burn that takes days to go away. i was hoping that polysporin can replace tto for me. so far, i like it A LOT! i put it on broken skin and it closes the skin much faster. i also put it on a pimple that was puss-filled, and it went down without me having to pop it. haha, i wonder where the puss went???!!! anyway, i like a lot and i'm not developing any sensitivities.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2008 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Teralynn

I agree with all the raves. This stuff is amazing at healing pimples. I get cystic acne when I break out, and my pale skin takes forever to heal. I am often left with red marks where a pimple was that lasts up to a year .This stuff applied to a healing pimple speeds the process up incredibly, the closest thing to a magic wand there is. I too had fears it might break me out but they were unfounded. Unlike Neosporin (which I've never tried but have heard can be irritating to some skin) which has one antibiotic, Polysporin has three. To top it all off you can buy Polysporin in a formula that includes pain relief, perfect for that irritating, throbbing pimple. I put it on and forget I even have a pimple, usually waking up the next day to find it almost completely healed. One tube lasts forever ( I've bought two in the past two years) so it won't cost you tons. I would recommend this product to anyone and everyone.