Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

4.3

Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Polyethylene, Peg-5 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Water, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

HOLY GRAIL.
This product is just amazing. It cleans very gentely yet it's effective. My skin feels nice and smooth after using this, doesn't break me out, feels amazing on the skin.
I use this as my second step in my routine after I've pre-cleansed my face I follow up with this product and I can be sure that everything is removed from my face.
Wouldn't want to live a day without this.

on 9/7/2014 9:50:00 AM

*HG* Highly recommended for oily skin and sensitive skin.

Recently confirmed that this is a must-have for me when I went without it for two weeks, relying on cetaphil and foaming cleanser. Within days, my skin started to feel scaly and bumpy, and I developed an outbreak of cystic acne on my chin. I haven't had a break-out in 15 years. It only took a few days back on the Cleansing Balm for my skin to feel baby-smooth again, and the zits are clearing up quickly considering they were pretty deep.

I have extremely sensitive, reactive, dehydrated, oily skin. For as long as I can remember, I've used long-wearing foundation to stand up to the oil, starting with Revlon ColorStay and ending with my favorite, MUFE Face & Body. Washing that off is not easy with a foaming, soap-based cleanser; I often had to wash twice to get the makeup off, which seriously stripped my skin. This Balm is thorough and gentle. I do use a gentle foaming cleanser or dove soap afterwards, but many have done well without this extra step.

***Major Bonus*** Since I started using this, my lashes are longer and have noticeably more body. I also seem to have grown a second tier of upper lashes. I know, amazing. I did not get this from the DHC. Works even better if I start massaging the balm into my lashes before moving on to the rest of my face, then avoid the eye area when I use the foaming cleanser. I'm guessing it's something about the safflower oil in this.

*On cleansing oils*
I don't know how I got by before I discovered cleansing oil/balm. For the uninitiated, this is distinct from the oil-cleansing method (OCM), which calls for a straight-up oil like olive or coconut. The Cleansing Balm/cleansing oil is based on the same principle of like-dissolves-like : oils dissolve oils, water dissolves water (think of how much gentler and more effective an oil-based eye-makeup remover is than one that is oil-free). Unlike the OCM, though, the Cleansing Balm is engineered to dissolve in water as well, which means that after dissolving all the oil and makeup in the dry phase, it rinses clean once you add water, washing everything away. Meaning no pore-clogging oil particles. It does help to be fairly meticulous about using totally dry hands on a totally dry face in the beginning. I can't emphasize this enough. Blot your lips/eyes/nose right before if necessary; the technology just doesn't work as well if there's any kind of water when you first put it on.

*Compared to DHC Deep Cleansing Oil*
I was a longtime DHC deep cleansing oil user until one day last year, when I didn't feel like waiting for the mail...I'm thrilled that I gave this a shot, because as much as I like the DHC, I was getting annoyed with the mail-order-only aspect-- the waiting, the shipping charges, feeling like I had to bulk order to save on shipping, etc. The Clinique Cleansing Balm works just as well as the DHC in terms of gentle but thorough make-up removal, and I find that the solid form is easier to deal with (travels better) and more shelf-stable than the liquid-and-pump situation (I've had the DHC go off).
The DHC rinses to a squeakier clean, but like I said, the Clinique has done great things for my skin and my lashes -- without the hassle. I also think it lasts a bit longer b/c you have more control over how much you use.

on 9/2/2014 2:10:00 PM

I love this balm so much! It takes off all of my makeup (mascara included), doesn't burn in my eyes or break me out. It's not scented so that also might be plus for some people but doesn't feel very luxurious. Sometimes I use it with a flannel, sometimes I just wash it off with warm water ;)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

A serious HG cleanser contender.

A jar of this lasts 2-3 months of everyday use with a cleansing cloth, it is a real pleasure to use. Keeps my skin clear, blemish free and radiant and not too dehydrated.

I scoop a half a tea spoon amount of product, warm it up in my hands and massage all over my face and neck taking off sunscreen, makeup and the city dirt in the process. I have experimented and smeared it all over my eyelids while wearing contacts (crazy, I know - normally I remove my lenses first, then take off my eye makeup with a bi-phased eye makeup remover separately before I proceed with the rest of my face) and it took off all my waterproof eye makeup (NARS eyeshadow primer, cream eyeshadow, liner etc.) without making my vision blurry or any stinging. I am using a tubing mascara so with a warm, moist face cloth it is a one step cleanser and makeup remover. Love it!

on 8/29/2014 9:50:00 PM

This stuff is ok it doesn't remove all my makeup though especially my mascara. For the price it should be taking it all off. That being said my skin feels good after using it and I don't break out.
I'm going to try the body shop one next and if that one doesn't work out ill stick to garnier nutrise cleaning oil. Which works very well and much cheaper.

on 8/16/2014 11:17:00 AM

This balm removes every last trace of my makeup, including liquid liner and mascara. I use a very small amount, warm it in my hands and then apply to dry skin. I love massaging it over my face and watching as my makeup melts together and turns grey! I wash it off with warm water and a Mario Badescu cleanser, and it's like I never had anything on my skin. It's pricey in Australia ($55) but I would never want to be without it!

on 7/25/2014 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

A little goes a long way with this balm. It can feel a little greasy on my fingers, but feels soft on my face. I like to steam my face with a hot washcloth a little bit along with this balm, and it's never irritated or clogged my fairly sensitive skin.

on 7/24/2014 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I first used Clinique skincare years ago because it was highly touted in magazines and it was reasonably priced. Of course I'm referring to the 3 step skincare and you bet it irritated my skin beyond belief. I swore off any Clinique cleansers until now.

I switched to a physical sunscreen and I realized that I needed something extra to remove this along with my makeup.
I'm very wary of the oil cleansing method as my skin is sensitive to anything heavy or oily. I've tried jojoba oil and argan oil and the result was the same - breakout city.

So I decided to try the Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm and I'm very pleasantly surprised. My skin has no problem with this texture and I haven't experienced any breakouts since I started using this. (what a relief)
I don't use it to remove eye makeup as I can't use anything oil based for my eyes. (prone to styes)

I take a small bit of the balm and massage it all over my face before rinsing with water. There is no lather but rather a white sort of film that results when I use water.
I follow up with my regular LRP Toleriane cleanser to remove any traces of the balm and this seems to be the key for me to avoid breakouts.

My skin feels clean but not stripped afterwards and my complexion overall looks much better now that I'm thoroughly removing all makeup.

For reference, I'm normal to combo (slightly dry in the winter and slightly oily in the summer). Plus I love that this balm is fragrance free which I like as my skin can't tolerate anything with fragrance.

If you're sensitive to natural oils but need something to pre-cleanse makeup, give this a try.

on 7/10/2014 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This cleansing balm is my absolute favourite balm. Ever. EVAH!

Itís so gentle, fragrance free, and effective - it leaves my skin feeling clean, but not stripped. I tend to use this as my first cleanse to remove makeup and SPF and then go in with a different product for the second cleanse (I have so many!) depending on how my skin feels on any given day, but it also works just as well if used for both first and second cleansing steps.

Iíve tried other balms and so many of them have irritating plant oils in that really sting my eyes (Iím looking at you REN!) but this one doesnít and removes eye makeup with little fuss (although I remove eye makeup with micellar water these days anyway). Also it emulsifies well and as a result is easy to remove completely (again something I havenít found with all balms Iíve tried).

The jar packaging doesnít bother me too much, and I donít think the firm texture of this balm would work well in a squeeze tube anyway. However, I do make sure I wash my hands before I dip them in the pot, Iím quite religious about that! I think the jar is lovely too Ė I love the colour of the pot and the shiny lid Ė Iím not generally fussy about packaging being pretty, but I do enjoy this jar.

It has absolutely no discernable scent, which personally I love (I can do without cloying fragrances on my face, thanks!) Ė and has a lovely smooth, silky, yet kind of grippy, texture, great for facial massage and it feels so lovely it really encourages you to really work your fingers over your face.

I find that you donít need much of this at all to do the whole face, it spreads nicely, so a tub lasts me months and months of daily use.

Really canít find anything to dislike about this balm, and Iíve repurchased several times now and will continue to do so.

on 7/8/2014 8:09:00 PM

I'm really enjoying this cleansing balm. I don't usually wear heavy makeup, and I find this removes everything, rinses easily and leaves my skin feeling clean, but not striped. I would probably like it even better if it had a fragrance (but then I'm not usually sensitive to fragrance).