December 18, 2014 | 1031 users online

Moisturizers - Sweet Almond Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I so very much love using oils in my skincare regime. This review will be for Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Oil.
I use it in a variety of ways, on my face, on my body and in my hair. The key is the amount that I use or it will become too greasy. Some reviewers will say that the bottle squirts out a set amount and that you can't control it. That's absolutely correct. All you have to do is unscrew the top (easy enough) and pour out the amount you need or take out the amount you need with an eyedropper. That's how you can monitor how much instead of using the squirt method and wasting too much.
I like to use a few drops on my face for extraordinary hydration at night a few times a week. I alternate this with other oils or treatments I use at bedtime. Again, the key is to use it sparingly as it is very greasy feeling, but the results when you awaken are well worth it. My facial skin is smooth, soft, hydrated and evenly toned in the morning with a dewy glow.
After my shower, but not in the bathtub because I found it can leave a residue in the tub and I don't like the slippery mess left behind, I slather it on my body. In the wintertime, I have absolutely no dryness on my skin. Since I have been using Sweet Almond Oil instead of labeled moisturizers, my body has been exceedingly soft without any hint of dryness or wintertime itchiness. It lasts the entire day, too. I appreciate that.
If there's any left on my hands, I rub them through my hair, whether it's wet or dry, avoiding the roots. It leaves a nice sheen and smooths it.
I first started to use Sweet Almond Oil when I was using Philosophy's when hope is not enough omega 3-6-9 replenishing oil. I noticed that Sweet Almond Oil was the second ingredient so I figured I would try it alone and compare out of curiosity.
Thus began my foray into the land of oils and my new love affair. Obviously it's heavier in composition than the omega 3-6-9, but I find it's much better when I mix my own little concoction. I've mixed together Vitamin E, Primrose Oil, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and even added Vitamins A and C. Just keep the mixture in a dark bottle out of light so the composition doesn't break down and it stays fresher. You can do your own research and make your own fresh daily serums that are cheaper and better for your face than anything you can find at the local drugstore, department store counter or local cosmetic store, imo.
If you find it's too greasy, cut back on how much you're applying. It might not be good for your face, but be better for your body or your hair. Just try it on different areas of your body/hair. Not all oils work for everyone in the same way just as not all skincare products work the same way on everyone's skin. We all have different concerns and issues so obviously one oil cannot address everyone's needs. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a little bottle of miracles to me.
I'll always have a bottle of the certified natural Sweet Almond Oil in my cabinet handy.

34 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by foxieq

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll be documenting my almond oil usage here.

My skin: normal, not much problem with visible pores except for my nose. Normal/combo skin, oily t-zone and cheeks get dry if I don't moisturizer or a while. The only place I get bad pimples and whiteheads is my upper lip. They occasionally pop up on my chin and lower forehead. They're not small pimples but not large either. I also get small bumps (don't even know if they're pimples) on my forehead but they're manageable and not noticeable so I don't really count them. In conclusion, skin with some blemishes but nothing horrible. Never had to wear foundation until some of them started scarring (just marks, not indentations).

I started using jojoba oil as a morning and night cleanser. I used to use normal drugstore scrubs and cleansers, and not particularly diligently. I've been very diligent with jojoba for about two months and it wasn't a miracle product for me, but it definitely helped regulate the oil around my T zone. Still occasional pimples, but no big hulking whiteheads that I used to deal with.

With jojoba, I was looking for that purge moment! I know it sounds weird, but I wanted my skin to get inflamed so I'd know that I was just purging and it'd be over soon and I'd be on my way to beautiful, clear skin...

I'm hoping that's what's happening right now. I've been using half jojoba, half almond oil in my routine for about a week now. I skipped one night of the routine and am hoping that the three whiteheads that popped up on my upper lip and chin are not a result of that, but of purging.

I'll be updating my OCM routine here.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2013 10:52:00 PM More reviews by northerngal100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is the worst but also good. The worst for my skin, and good for my hair....

I used it on my skin for three weeks. For the first two weeks my skin looked better than it ever had, not a single dry pot, glowy, lovely, THEN on week three, my skin and broke out like I never have before in my entire life. I usually have one small pimple a week (maybe) and usually just before my period. But this gave me blocked pores all over. I had probably 100 blocked pores. All over my forehead even, and I haven't had a single spot there since I was 13 probably. I needed to go to the doctor to get antibiotics for the mess this stuff created. Since it was the only thing I changed, I can say with certainty this is what caused it. Three weeks and two prescriptions later, my face is getting back to normal and most of the blockages have been painstakingly removed. Though now I am struggling with dealing with marks. It ruined my life for weeks and continues to plague me! I strongly advise anyone who has a tendency to breakout not to use sweet almond oil. I have used evening primrose with success and I recommend it - but I just had to try something new.....You have been warned.

Knowing it didn't agree with my skin, I started using it on my hair about 30 minutes before I shower. It has been great for dealing with winter split ends. Highly recommended. I probably won't buy it again, but it does as good as a job as any expensive hair mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by KimikoTaicho

I've become a believer when it comes to using oils.

About a month and a half ago, I looked in the mirror at my whacky, curly, refusing-to-grow hair and my acne-scar-littered, pimple-prone face and said ENOUGH. So I threw out my shampoos and conditioners (loaded with silicones and harmful chemicals I realized i did NOT want anywhere near my skin or hair), I tossed my old facial cleansers and moisturizers (loaded with chemicals, not working for me ANYway), and did some intense research.

I ended up going to Whole Foods and buying a few essential oils and good carrier oils to get started. This one was among them.

I use this as a night moisturizer on my face. I wake up in the morning with skin I can't keep my fingers off of (which is probably bad, but it's just so soft and smooth I can't help myself!) I also use this in my hair twice weekly as a mask (mixed with castor oil and rosemary oil, both of which have been working miracles) and after I've washed my hair as a leave-in-moisturizer. My hair is so much softer, so much smoother, and a good deal more managable than it's ever been (this coming from someone with that super curly, frizzy hair).

Another thing it's done: my mom recently used my salt bar to wash her face (even though I warned her against it because she has dry skin) and it left her sahara desert dry. Her cheeks felt like they'd been burned and she felt miserable. I dabbed some of this on her face and told her to go to bed. The next day, her face was halfway to fixed. I exfoliated her cheeks with honey and sugar and that helped a great deal as well, but I put more sweet almond oil on afterwards and once again, she woke up with amazing results. Her face is now almost perfect again.

I will never be without this pruduct again.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 10:11:00 AM More reviews by 1Bruce1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

HG! Fantastic product! I've been experimenting with all kinds of oils, and this one is clearly the winner. I have sensitive skin that reacts very unhappily to many products, but this one actually seems to soothe it and reduce redness. I pour a small amount into my hands, rub them together and then pat them on my face. It sinks in fairly quickly for an oil, but I do have to wait a few minutes to put anything else on my face. If I've applied too much or am in a hurry, I just blot off the excess with a tissue. It leaves my face soft, happy, and seems to have balanced out any oiliness in my skin. Also awesome as an add-on to body lotion; just a few drops mixed in my hand, and my skin is sooo soft. I plan on trying this on my hair next, and in an OCM recipe. Note: as another reviewer mentioned, the Aura Cacia brand makes it hard to just get a few drops at a time. I end up rubbing the excess into my hands, but I might decant it into a different bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 1:37:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this to use on my hair. I add essential oils (rosemary, lavendar, peppermint) and put this on my scalp, sometimes with coconut oil. Then I put just almond and coconut on the rest of the hair length. I leave this for a few hours and shampoo. I notice it's softer afterwards, and more moisturized. You have to be careful to get enough out or it does feel a bit oily, but I have dry hair so it works well. I have tried this as a leave in on dry hair and it was too much. I also tried it as an eye cream and it made my vision blurry (just like the coconut) so I switched to vaseline for that. (Also increases lash growth) I find jojoba does a good job of makeup removing but haven't tried this. I also am scared to use it as a moisturizer on my face. If I ever do, I'll update. But for a hair mask I find it's the best. I did try one half with almond and one half with jojoba and the result was that the almond side was softer.

Update: I have found better conditioning treatments so I haven't done oil masks as much, however oils are still great for so many reasons. If you play with the ratios you can make great skin products (or add small amounts to existing washes/creams/shampoos). You just have to watch out because too much oil might cause issues. You really only need drops when dealing with skin on the face. I am tempted to use some of this on my face now, because the oils help with flakes much more than creams (IMO). They also go bad if you get too large a bottle which happened to me. I think mine spoiled. So be aware of that too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 1:22:00 AM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Yes, yes, yes! I had a long love affair with my beloved jojoba oil but was wooed away by this, which is slightly more moisturizing and is cheaper. I also think it plays better with others—in the mornings I mix this with moisturizer and foundation to make my own tinted moisturizer, and I prefer using this over jojoba oil, although both are fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:57:00 AM More reviews by dowagerprincess17

Okay, this one is a HG. A keeper for life. I use this only for my hair and it has made a really biggg difference. I am too scared to use it on my acne prone face and it did not work for my undereye circles.But for my hair just loves this

Here is how I use it : I take a tbsp of SAO, a tbsp of Coconut Oil, 8-10 drops of Rosemary oil. I massage this cocktail to my scalp and on to my hair shafts. I leave it on for atleast 3-4 hours depending on the time I have. I wash it later.

Results : Smooth,shiny, hydrated hair. I have black hair but when it is dry it looks kind of brownish. After I started using this, my hair was more darker, no frizz,was hydrated - basically, undercontrol.
This is just amazing !! I cant stress this enough. It basically made my transition to going naturally curly much easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by cattitude

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This makes a great massage oil.

It also removes eye makeup better than drugstore-brand eye makeup remover... and unlike the cheap stuff, it doesn't irritate my eyes.

p.s. I do NOT recommend Aura Cacia brand due to their poor packaging designs. If you don't squeeze hard enough, none comes out. If you squeeze too hard, it squirts out everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love love love this oil!! I was always told that oil is bad for your face. However my mom started using it on her skin after she developed psoriasis on her body. Her psoriasis has clamed down after using this. I had a rash on my eyelid a while back and was desperate. So I took some of her oil and applied to that area. Within a few days it was gone. I then started applying it to my eye area and eventually my entire face and neck to see what would happen. My face just drank it in. I love the nutty smell and my face just looked so calm and healthy and the skin so plump. I then created my own mix by adding a bit of grapseed oil to it because I'd heard a rumour that grapeseed oil is full of anti-oxidants. I'm not sure if its true, but the combination of the two oils made my face look even more smooth, even and radiant. I kept looking looking at myself in the mirror. Any redness I'd had with before that completley disappeared. My eyes were hydrated and I just looked sooo good and well...younger. How could two such cheap products do so much??? I wanted throw away my Estee Lauder ANR, my expensive toner and every other crap that I was using so I could carry on with it but I had a decleor hamper that's been sitting in my cupboard for months now. So I've put the face oil away for now and started using the aromaessence rose d'orient serum. It's been three days now and I can feel and see that my skin is slowly regressing to the crap it was before. But that's for another post. Anyways, to go on to how I use this product: Immediately after washing my face, I add a few drops of this oil and grapeseed oil to the moist palm of hand, walm it up and gently massage it with my fingertips into my facial skin. I make sure that my face is also still slightly moist to make the spreading easier. I then pat a bit around my entire eye area. After a few minutes, I then add my eye cream and my EL Verite moisturiser. And that's it. No toner and other serums. Just this. And my face looked wayyyyy better than when I was using all that other stuff. EL and everyone else can go hang themselves. Us women are definitely being duped. My only problem now is that I'll probably end up using all that "other stuff" just so that it doesn't go to waste. After that, it's back to the oils. UPDATE 16 Jan 2013; Still loving it. I stopped using it as a face oil because I was missing Estee Lauders ANR and kept using it as an eye serum. Best choice I ever made. I don't have any eye circles or discolouration around my eyes anymore. I got so many compliments about how amazing my eyes look that I recommended it to my best friend who had horrible under eye circles all her life. She's now stopped using the expensive Prevage eye cream and her circles have lightened so much that she's stopped using concealer.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No