October 24, 2014 | 1880 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 8:52:00 PM More reviews by yajuwen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is definitely the powder foundation I am looking for. Stay on for over 10 hours no matter in a freezing cold snow days or 100-degree humid tropical days. Also, it looks just natural like I am born with such a nice skin. I always love the texture of Nars pressed-powder products and this one is not en exception. Smooth application and no challenging to blend for quick makeup. One thing I must mention, Sweden is the BEST shade I've ever have for my fair Asian skin. The only thing I don't like about this foundation is that I can only buy the shade online and cannot purchase the refill alone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2010 1:38:00 PM More reviews by LilMizz

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this a setting powder and in that respect this has been an absolute miracle product for me. I always have trouble with liquid foundations because of my oily skin. They never last more than 2 or 3 hours, they melt off and go patchy and make me look like a monster by the end of the day. My skin literally repels all foundation.

I dont use this as a foundation though, because the coverage is minimal. I'd say sheer to medium at most. It also ISNT particularly long wearing! And Ive noticed a tendency to get a little more shiny with this after an hour or two. However... I absolutely *love* it because for us olive girls who have a choice of maybe 2 or 3 foundations in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE of foundations, this is another option on our list. Stromboli is literally perfect for me. It looks so natural on me! And no matter how often I reapply or how much I pile on it looks like NATURAL SKIN.

It oxidizes ever so slightly but not so I turn orange or 3 shades too dark like most liquid foundations (yes you MAC!). For reference my closest general MAC shade is NC37 but that is really orange on me so I normally have to get NW35, but my true colour would be C40 in Studio Fix powder and 153 in MUFE HD. In other words, I have a medium deep olive complexion. A strange thing I noticed is that even though Stromboli is perfect in the powder foundation, its a little too light for me in the liquid variations, why they do that, I dont know.

This is heaven because it is perfect for us oily girls who have difficulties keeping make up from sliding off. I can cake this over and over my foundation all day and it NEVER LOOKS CAKEY! I used to have to re-powder about a dozen times to keep my liquid foundation from sliding off. Now I just use this. It totally refreshes my make up (NARS Sheer Glow) without adding layers, because it is so light in texture it doesnt feel or look like you're putting anything on. It covers the fading areas and re-blends all your foundation together again. This has made a full working shift bearable for me! I actually have my work colleagues approaching me half way through the day (after Ive touched up with this) complimenting my radiant skin :-)

I love the chunky compact and its mirror. When Im hunting through my big bag for this its so fat its always easy for me to find. It probably wont fit in a regular cosmetic bag though! I use the sponge when im in a rush, I just smear on as much as possible lol! Because its impossible for this to make me a cakeface and because its so sheer it doesnt do any damage to your skin. It just re-sets my liquid foundation and fills-in-the-gaps so to speak. Its wonderful. And for an added bonus it has sunscreen (minimal though tbh).

A lippie off because of the poor lasting power (In a 9 hour shift I touch up about 3 times - not cool). And also I think it makes me more oily after a while :-(

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2010 10:55:00 PM More reviews by HelloKittyHun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very nice powder foundation. I have the one in Santa Fe, and I really like it! It gives a very light, very natural look to my face. I'm not one to wear very heavy foundation and this one is perfect for sweeping over liquid foundation or just on it's own to even out your skin tone. It mattifies my face a little (since I'm quite oily on my nose) and it just looks so natural! I apply it with my Ecotools powder brush all over my face and it just evens out some redness and just makes my skin look more polished. Very pricey though at $45. But I would say it's worth it. It has a mirror and a sponge that comes with it, but I don't like to use the sponges for sanitary purposes. The packaging with many other NARS products, is very durable but I find that it's kinda bulky and a little cumbersome looking. That's why I gave a 4/5 for packaging. The SPF 12 in here is also a plus!
I would totally recommend this and re-purchase this :)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2010 6:35:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I originally bought this product in Fiji to use as a powder foundation. It was relatively good, but the coverage was a little light for me and the color was a little dark for me at the time. I used it for a while, but stopped at some point and it had been sitting in my drawer for a few months.

I just started trying out Sheer Glow foundation (which I'm really liking) & the NARS Loose Powder, and the SA for NARS told me that they actually recommend their Powder Foundation for touching up, but only when used with a powder brush. Since I was originally matched up with Fiji in Sheer Glow (I'm now using Ceylan with almost perfect results), I decided to dig out my powder foundation. I've been using it to touch up maybe 2-3 times during the day after blotting, applying the powder with my Ecotools Retractable Kabuki Brush (which is a great brush: super soft, no shedding, convenient to bring in your bag). It's not too heavy and w/the brush, I don't get a large deposit of color on my face. It's been helping absorb my oil a bit, too.

So if the powder foundation hasn't been working out too well as a foundation, try it as a touch up powder or even a setting powder. I know a lot of people do the same w/MAC Studio Fix powder, so it shouldn't be any different w/NARS Powder Foundation as well. Also I think it's nice that you can order refills for this so you don't have to buy an entirely new compact; plus the refill is $10 cheaper!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2010 6:45:00 PM More reviews by kemper1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation at Sephora and it looked perfect in the compact. I tried a little on, and under the lights of Sephora, I though it was great. I bought it in Cadiz. When I got it home, it was a dry, powdery, chalky mess. I wear n9 in MAC's Studio Fix, and can't seem to find anything else with the same matching quality. I took it right back, and the search continues..

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2010 8:15:00 PM More reviews by bebeblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My skin is heinously oily, acne-prone, very sensitive, very fair with neutral-yellow undertones, with rosacea-y diffuse redness on cheeks/nose/forehead/chin.

What I wanted was a natural-looking matte foundation that provides a good color match, evens out my complexion, doesn't oxidize, has decent staying power (but can't expect miracles with my oiliness), doesn't break me out or cause irritation, and doesn't cake up when touched-up during the day. UV protection would be an added bonus.

So, I gave NARS Powder Foundation SPF 12 a go. I couldn't find it anywhere locally so I ordered it online from Sephora in the shade Deauville, which turned out to be a pretty good match. It's very, very similar to my Shiseido Sheer Matifying Compact in 100 (Very Light Ivory; see review) - both are *slightly* too dark for my skin. However, the NARS blends into my skintone more easily and looks more natural than the Shiseido.

I first tried to apply it with a sponge as I had been doing with the Shiseido, and kept layering and layering it on because it was not providing any coverage whatsoever! So I tried it with my Sephora bronzer brush, which worked much better. The coverage was still sheer, didn't completely conceal the redness, but I wasn't expecting it to. I feel like, for foundation to be natural-looking, your skin has to show through a bit, and above all else I never want to look like my face is just covered in makeup. It evens out my complexion pretty nicely, and the finish is matte but still natural looking (less matte than the Shiseido). Makes your skin look healthy.

While this doesn't cake or oxidize throughout the day, it disappears pretty darn quickly. Doesn't last as long as the Shiseido. However, when the Shiseido would mix with my skin oils, it would get kinda gross-looking, whereas this fades naturally and kinda disappears, which I prefer to yucky separated makeup. I've only worn it a few times and haven't tried reapplying in the middle of the day yet so I'm not sure how it'll do.

I wouldn't rely on this for complete sun protection as I doubt I'm applying enough of this to get the full SPF, but it's nice to know it has *some* sun protection in it.

The good news is, no breakouts or irritation thus far! Fingers crossed.

Overall, nice stuff, although I wish it were more affordable. If your skin is less oily than mine this will probably be perfect for you as it likely won't disappear as quickly.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2010 1:53:00 AM More reviews by Jmarz888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation a week ago and just now tried it today and unfortunatly.... I didn't like this product. I was hoping to find something better than my Mac studio Fix that I've been using for years. I intitally wanted to try the sheer matte liquid foundation but chose to purchase this instead only because it is summertime and my skin tends to get oily especially more in the summertime. I noticed this foundation was CAKEY. Super cakey. I applied this on top of my Smashbox photofinish primer. Usually any of my powders and liquids would go on smoothly when used with this primer but not this particular foundation. I decided to try it on with just a moisturizer after noticing how horrific and cakey my faced looked. I washed my face and decided to re-apply and SAME THING. I wanted to really love this product. I've only owned one NARS product in my life and it was an eyeshadow. I wanted to try thier foundations out but sadly, this one has to go back. =( It doesnt look smooth. I guess i'll just stick to my MAC SFix.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by botitas1977

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this powder when I was in my " powder phase " Its soooo beautiful. Def a step up from MAC studio fix. I love the compact and that it has a huge mirror. It is really good coverage without the cakeyness. Best used with a brush. The downside of this is that they don't have as many shades as MAC does. You get a LOT of product for your money. This is one of the few powders that i actually hit the pan with. In the summer time I wear SAHARA> I believe they DC now.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2010 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Deborah535

I have used this product for at least 5 years now. I love the quality and coverage. It makes my skin look flawless and the compliments on my skin have been constant. I really don't understand the comments about it not having enough coverage. My aesthetician even asked me what foundation I was using because she was amazed at the coverage it gave me. This powder is definitely my HG foundation, I only wish it were cheaper. It does last me a very long time though, so I guess I can't complain too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by RUThereGodItsMeMargaret

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Love the classic black NARS packaging. Its on the expensive side of 45.00 (well maybe not expensive to those that say 350k isnt enough to live on). It s finely milled and goes on very smooth. The only problem was the color was too red for me. I looked like i was wearing blush all over my face, Try it if you can find the right shade for you.