October 24, 2014 | 1441 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by CompassionIsSexy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love coconut oil as a moisturizer, it's awesome. I can't believe how nice it feels and at the same time keeps my skin clear and smooth. It also brightens my skin. I used to spend so much time and money on skincare products (cleansers, exfoliaters, serums, daytime moisturizers, night creams, eye creams, etc.) Those products didn't work so now I only use coconut oil as a moisturizer. I use a vitamin c toner and mix a little vitamin e or retin a with coconut oil as a moisturizer.

I use coconut oil sparingly in my diet. Eating too much of it makes me feel spacey and a bit nauseous. It's a great moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by notevangelista

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've always flirted with the idea of being an all-natural, organic body product loving girl, but have never truly taken the plunge. While I'm not ready to hang up my inorganic make-up and skincare product loving hat yet, I have to say that my first-hand experiences with the multitudinous virtues of coconut oil have indeed made a strong case for green juice loving, natural beach hair wearing, coconut oil slathered lifestyle.

The virtues of coconut oil are most apparent in the body care department. I have stumbled upon, what I now believe is the 'perfect' cocktail of winter body products, i.e., coconut oil massaged onto the skin, topped up with the very hydrating Body Shop Olive Oil Body Butter in the evenings, alternated with the coconut oil and Avene Body Cream duo in the morning for a lighter finish. I can guarantee that your skin will feel wonderful, soft and supple in an immediately gratifying way.

In terms of a make-up remover, it is incredibly effective, but it is yet to rival my thrifty holy trinity of La-Roche Posay Micellar Solution, Cetaphil cleanser and washcloth in immediate effectiveness and an overall 'clean' feeling.

Coconut oil is great in the hair as a pre-wash conditioning oil, or lightly applied to slightly damp hair prior to blowdrying it. However, beware that the proportion to be applied to slightly damp or even dry, frizzy hair is prone to experimentation. You cannot be heavy-handed with the stuff at this stage, or else your hair will succeed in pulling off that freshly unwashed look, which very few, with the exception of runway models, can pull off.

Although I seem to have jumped onto the coconut ship, quite happily stringing along to whichsoever warm, tropical destination it may take me, I must admit that I am still quite wary of using it as a moisturiser on my face. The product seems to be quite heavy for the face with a limited absorption capacity, and I for one, do not look forward to the possibility of sleeping on an oily pillowcase. However, I have used it as a lip balm, and it was quite effective and a rather pretty looking all natural lip gloss.

Rest assured, despite the face moisturiser cynicism, I will not be without a tub of extra virgin coconut oil from this day forward.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my staple product for life!!

So many amazing ways to use virgin coconut oil for the hair, skin and body. LOVE IT!!

Coconut oil is THE BEST eye makeup remover. With clean hands, scoop out just a little bit, massage my eye lashes with the oil for 30 seconds and water proof mascara comes right off!

Coconut oil is THE BEST moisturizer for my skin (once it soaks in, my skin feels so soft and supple). After I get out of the shower, I apply the oil to damp skin and let it soak in for a few minutes. Coconut oil makes my skin feel so amazing, my husband has even started to use it!

Coconut oil makes THE BEST deep hair treatment!! Once again, once the oil has time to soak in, after I rinse my hair, my hair feels brand new! Just a tip for some, my hair soaks up coconut oil better once I have warmed a few tablespoons in a pan/microwave just until it liquefies versus scooping the solidified oil out with my hands and melting it with my hands. Also, the longer I leave a coconut oil mask in my hair, the better my hair feels!! Also, if it is cold outside, I do not recommend applying coconut oil to hair and then going outside without giving the oil time to soak in. Since coconut oil solidifies underneath temperatures of 75 degrees, you could end up with hard, flaky hair.

Depending on the brand, coconut oil has an amazing taste, plus nutritional benefits.

I only shave my underarms at night, and whenever I do, I always apply coconut oil to my underarms for the night. Since I started doing this, my underarm discoloration has drastically decreased from all of the moisture the coconut oil provides!

Finally, the price is spot on for 16 oz worth of this product. Depending on the brand, it will cost anywhere in between $6-16 bucks. Extremely worth a healthy multi-purpose product!

I LOVE ORGANIC UNREFINED EXTRA VIRGIN COCONUT OIL!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I refuse to run out of this stuff. My favorite is Garden of Life, which I order in multiples from Vitacost. I've tried several brands, including Tropical Traditions, but found either the texture, smell, taste, or price unappealing, so I stick with GOL.

I can't even tell you how many jars I've gone through - I keep one in the kitchen and one in the bath. I ADORE it.

Kitchen: Every morning I stir a little into my coffee (for health benefits). I've made fudge using only coconut oil, cocoa powder & sugar - you have to store it in the refrigerator, but it is SO {bleeping} good, and easy.

We also use it in cooking ONLY if we're doing a dish that will be complemented by the coconut flavor. (We also keep a jar of refined coconut oil to use for making popcorn, seasoning cast iron, sauteeing veggies - anything that we cook / bake that we don't want to taste of coconut.)

Skin, Hair, & Body: I apply it after every shower instead of body lotion. I shave daily and have not gotten razor burn at all since using it as my moisturizer.
Once a week I'll take a tablespoon, massage some into my scalp and work the remainder into the length of my hair, leaving it in for at least an hour. I'll shampoo (with a 'traditional' SLS-containing clarifying shampoo), then condition as usual - it makes my hair soft & shiny.
I've used it to remove the last stubborn traces of eye makeup and even as an eyelash conditioner before bed.
Every day I work a little bit into my armpits, let it absorb for several minutes, then apply a little baking soda over it for an all-natural, EFFECTIVE deodorant. (Yes, it works, even in summer.)
I slather it on before and after swimming ~ it's so soothing.

Miscellaneous: Coconut oil reportedly has antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties and for that reason, I'll apply it to minor cuts and scrapes. I even smudged a little around my dog's eye when it was goopy and tearing. Two days later, her eye was back to normal. (I came across this tip online, and thankfully it worked.)

I don't know what else I can say that hasn't already been said ~ I just felt I should sing the praises of something I use daily and never want to be without.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by shi1

I got really interested in using natural alternatives around the house and I heard so much about coconut oil that I just had to give it a try. I've used it for cooking, for hair, and for skin. I think its good but that there are its limitations.

First of all, the obvious difference is that its not as luxurious as most beauty products. It doesn't have the smells, textures and finishes as the ones on the market but that's to be expected. There's an obvious difference in price if you consider the amount of coconut oil you can get and its multiple uses compared to traditional products.

For cooking, it works well as a replacement for other oils or butter, but it does have a distinct coconut/nutty taste so it doesn't work on everything (in my opinion). I haven't tried it in baking yet but I'm sure the same is to be said there.

I tried it as a pre-treatment, and as a conditioner. I tried it on my scalp and it made it flake like crazy, so that was no good. I tried using it as a rinse-out conditioner once, and let me tell you, the stuff does not rinse out easily. I had to re-wash my hair. As a pre-treatment it does help to moisturize your hair but the results were just ok for me.

For skin, I have only been trying it on my body. I did not want to take a chance with the stuff on my face since I have sensitive skin and breakout easily. I've been making body scrubs with the oil, and using it as a moisturizer. As a body scrub its nice because it has a nice gentle coconut scent. I've found some great scrub recipes so I've been quite pleased with that. As a moisturizer, I find it takes a little while to absorb so you do feel a little greasy. I feel like I'm greased up to be cooked because of the coconut scent so its a bit of a miss for me. It does moisturize well, but then again, any oil will moisturize your skin (I'm going to try baby oil next).

All in all, I think its something that's nice to have around but I will not be buying the huge Costco size tub. I can see me using it here and there but not on a regular basis.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by celina5847

I've been using oil to clean my face even before it was the thing to do. I takes off makeup including mascara sooooo easily!!! But just today I decided to follow up with the new Dickinson Witch Hazel (the one with the yellow label) THE COTTON BALL WAS FREAKING DIRTY!!!!!! I always thought the oil was cleaning my face because it looked clean, it felt clean..boy was I wrong. I'll still use the oil to clean my face of makeup as I find it easier than washing my face, but I will follow up with witch hazel from now on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I had been using refined coconut oil and was not that impressed with what it did and almost gave up. Someone suggested extra virgin because it has all the fatty acids and retains everything you need for skincare and hair. I decided to take the plunge and wow. It is different than refined.

It left my hair very soft and shiny only after using it as a mask for 3 hours. No greasy build up and my hair smells like coconut still a day later. Very easy to apply and doesn't drip or get messy. I also used this as an eye and face makeup remover and was seriously impressed. It removed my stubborn eye makeup so easily it was almost a joke to eye makeup removers.

My eyes are very sensitive and get very dry underneath and this kept them soft. I cannot use this as a moisturizer unfortunately on my face because it breaks me out, but I do use it for makeup removal and hair masks. I DO use grapeseed oil and rosehip oil for my face and they are so superior to anything I have ever used as a moisturizer.

BUT, big difference between REFINED coconut oil and EXTRA VIRGIN! Beware of the two because the refined does not do much for me at all, and does not smell like anything. There IS a significant difference in what they do for my hair and makeup removal. I hope this helps!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Anahata66

I'm so glad I started using coconut oil. It smells wonderful and seriously works great as a moisturizer. I use a small amount on the face, sometimes on the body as well. I haven't tried it as a hair mask yet, but coconut oil is also great for cooking, in fact i've replaced my olive oil with coconut. I have a jar in the kitchen and a jar in the bathroom! it's just great stuff.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2014 12:11:00 AM More reviews by monty2008

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Used the Nutvia organic oil, I was hoping this would clear up my KP on my arms but instead it just made them and my dry legs blotchy and irritated. I tried some on the back of my neck and now have a rough dry patch that was not there prior to using (my neck has never had dry skin) also even though the smell was not strong in the container once it was on my skin it smelled very "earthy". Disappointed this did not work for me was hoping to use as a body moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 7:38:00 PM More reviews by intheflatfield

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this stuff. I have a lot of fine wavy hair that's prone to frizz, and coconut oil makes it look and feel just wonderful. Once every two to three weeks I apply a hefty handful of this all over my dry hair (I've never tried it on wet hair) and let it soak in for an hour or two. Then I shampoo and condition like normal and my hair turns out very soft and shiny. Even though my hair is fine, I don't find that it weighs it down or leaves it greasy. It may not agree with every hair type or texture, but for me it's great stuff that I highly recommend everyone at least give a try. And there's the bonus of being able to just rub any excess into your hands rather than needing to wash them after application - leaves the cuticles nice and soft!