Mavala Nail Hardener

4.5

Water, Formaldehyde, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Chamomile Extract, Garlic Extract, Cocamide DEA, Pine Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Lemon Oil, FD&C Blue #

on 10/23/2009 5:13:00 PM

I hate to ruin the good reviews, but this stuff ruined my nails. I stumbled upon the reviews and decided to purchase based on the excellent ratings. My nails had finally grown out and looked nice, and based on the reviews this seemed like a good product to maintain the health of my nails. Almost immediately my nail tips started peeling and flaking off, but I kept using this weekly for about six weeks to give it a chance. The entire time I used it my nails were a flaky mess, and they've started growing a bit now that I've stopped. While using this, I continued to use the same base coat I'd been using, so really the only change was the Mavala Nail Hardener. I really wish that I got the results that everyone else got, but my search for a good nail strengthener continues. If this works for you, it's a great buy because this one bottle looks like it will last forever.

on 7/26/2009 2:59:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I have been using the Mavala system since december 20,2008. I have to say using the Nail Hardener and the Nail shield once a week or when getting manicure has done wonders for my nails. I also use the Mavaderma and Nailactan every night. I have used artifical nails(acrylic and gels nails) since I was 18 years old, i am now 32 years old. So I thought there was no hope for me, my nails were just going to be damaged forever. I got tired of the artifical nails because since my nail bed was so weak, the nails would break and when the heat was applied during the refill, my nail bed would burn. It also become so expensive for the fills and soaking and applying new sets. It feels so good, getting manicure, less expensive and healthy for my nails. Since I have been going for manicure, The main nail technician who has been using the product on my nails, everytime I go, has really noticed a difference. When I take out the products, people will ask me where did I get the products from? My nails are definitely a lot stronger, and look healthier. I have to keep my nails short because my nails naturally curl and they will break if I don't keep them short. I would like to thank everyone who made comments about this product, If it wasn't for you I wouldnt have known about this product and definitely wouldn't have purchased it. I look to makeupalley for all my products regarding nail and skin care.

on 7/13/2009 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This product (Scientifique), is 4.5% formaldehyde and is supposed to be applied only to the white portion of the nail to harden/strengthen the tips. I contacted Mavala and was told that overuse will cause nail tips to break, flake, or peel from over-drying. It does work to make the nail tips harder almost immediately because it's absorbed.

Some people are allergic to formaldehyde and shouldn't use this product. Also, Scientifique shouldn't be put on the pink portion of the nail or on cuticles because it can can cause dryness, burning, and aching. I used a mask when I applied it because of the strong odor.

on 7/10/2009 5:55:00 PM

yes yes yes - AMAZING stuff, before this my nails would peel from one side to the other or flake at the tips and they would never grow due to this, at some points i could even completely bend them down but this stuff has worked wonders!!!!! i have not had my nails this long for years and i think thats because not that it makes them grow but it makes them strong enough so they get a decent chance to grow!!!! this stuff comes with all kinds of warnings due to the formaldahyde (sp) but i have tried a few different ways. it states like twice a week then only ever other week but at first i did every night on the tip then on the whole nail and now i have calmed down now that they are at a level of strength im happy with but every now and again i will apply a coat all over let it soak in then apply another and thats it for the week! this is a def HG item and ignore the price because this stuff will last soooooooo long its unreal i have had mine 4 months and havnt even dented the amount!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This product works too well. It definitely hardens the nails but it does so in a way that I think actually changes the chemical compostion of the nails -- they end up as hard as concrete and you can really hurt yourself if your fingers get caught in something. So I use it sparingly.

I also wish the bottle wasn't so tiny, and had more stability. Brush is difficult to work with too.

on 4/20/2009 6:17:00 PM

This has most definitely improved my brittle nails. Before, my nails would split at the top, and before they would get to a certain length, the nail polish would just chip because the top lawyer was always missing. After a few weeks of use, I clearly have harder, longer nails. They are the longest they have ever been without splitting at the ends! And they look healthy (I also use cuticle oil). Every time I do my nails, I brush the tips of my nails, then, as they are drying, I put cuticle oil on and massage. I then wash my nails and apply two new coats of nail hardener before I coat my nails with OPI's CHIP SKIP, two coats of nail polish, and finish off with top coat. My nails look great, and I get plenty of compliments everyday! For my hands, I use olive oil.

on 3/21/2009 4:39:00 PM

Great stuff!

on 1/17/2009 12:28:00 AM

A product that really works!! I had acrylic nails for 15 years and tried many times to take them off and let my nails grow. My nails were so thin, just peeled and they looked awful. I was so embarrassed that I would give up and go back to the acyrlics. After reading the reviews I gave Mavala a shot, it's like a miracle!! I applied it every day and started to see the difference within a week or so. After 4 weeks of faithful use: I had nails, they are strong, no peeling & splitting!!
I'm thrilled to have natural nails that look nice, I would highly recommend Mavala

on 12/11/2008 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This has been an absolute lifesaver for me. I have had thin, peeling, wimpy nails for most of my life and no amount of Sally Hansen Miracle Cure/Hard as Nails, etc. etc. could save them. Enter Mavala--my nails are in better condition than I can EVER remember! The product itself comes in a tiny .16 fl. oz bottle with a red cap and a nail polish brush type applicator. It is a blue-tinted liquid that is transparent on the nail and users are instructed to apply it only to the tips of the nails once or twice a week, so this tiny bottle will last you years. I have been using mine regularly (way more than twice a week) for the past five months and I have barely made a dent in it. I do a quick swipe across the free edge of the nail as if I were doing a really messy french tip and then i use the brush to dab a little bit on the underside of the free edge of my nail.

The product sinks in and dries quickly and does not leave a sheen or film on your nail at all, so it's much less time consuming than traditional nail polish type treatments. I have not tried this *over* nail polish, only on bare nails.

All in all if you have problem nails, you NEED this! I imagine this would be excellent for those recovering from acrylics as well.

on 12/3/2008 6:16:00 PM

I bought this afer reading the excellent reviews on and I must say I love it so far. I noticed a difference right away. I have tried every thing on the market for my soft weak nails and this takes the cake plus I love how it penetrates unlike most kinds you have to apply for several day like nail polish and then remove and start over. Two thumbs up! I can't wait to have long nails again!

Popular Treatments