October 30, 2014 | 1613 users online

Hair Color - Herbaceuticals Inc. - Naturcolor - all shades

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Bethany3844

I love this haircolor.

I have been on a quest to find something that works on my increasingly gray, 40-plus hair without damaging it or looking unnatural.

I initially selected a lighter shade (Light Burdock), following advice of MUAers who have warned that Naturcolor comes out dark. That shade was too light, so I next used Sagebrush Brown, which is a beautiful medium brown that looks perfect on my naturally dark brown hair. The color is subtle and natural looking, and leaves my hair soft and reasonably shiny. The packaging leaves a lot to be desired, but otherwise it's the best home haircolor I have found.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2008 1:50:00 PM More reviews by fabulousjason

This was a gentle product which left my hair shiny and a beautiful color. It did nothing for my few strands of grey hair though, and faded rather quickly (3-4 weeks) all over. It would probably be a good product for someone who doesnt have any greys.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2008 9:13:00 AM More reviews by the_hans

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just used this two days ago - wow!! I used 7N mullein blonde, and it turned out a very lovely dark blonde. I started out with light blonde hair - about a level 9 - with level 6 or 7 blonde roots (can't quite remember my natural color...). I am trying to grow out my natural color because I am so tired of dying my hair blonde, and this shade seem to match my roots.

I was concerned the color would be too dark, but its perfect! I would consider it a light brown after I first dyed it, but It definitely faded in three washings to a nice golden-ish blonde. I hesitated between this and the 7c caraway blonde, and even though I am extremely cool-toned (pink undertones, slight rosacea) the 7N definitely suits me. Also, did not leave my hair feeling damaged at all and smelled herbal-y.
For reference, I have hair a few inches below shoulder length, and there was a good amount of dye left in the bottle. I went to my hairdresser the next day and she even commented how she was impressed with the color and how well it matched my roots. Love it!
**EDIT** The haircolor faded very quickly; in about 2-3 weeks, I was pretty much back to my original color. Still, I prefer it to chemical dyes any day! So I will give it 4 stars :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2008 7:11:00 PM More reviews by mtonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this product before, but this last time it turned my hair orange. Really orange. Because it has such a low amount of peroxide (3%), it takes some of the color out of dark hair like mine, which then makes it turn orange in a couple of shampoos. And the front of my hair which is got a lot of gray in it is more orange than some of the other parts. I read somewhat that bleach can turn white hair yellow, and then the gentle color pigment on top of that made mine orange like some other people on this list have noted. I will now have to color over it with Robert Craig, which has never turned my hair really orange but is messier to use.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by looser

I've written a few reviews for different hair coloring products, usually thinking I have found my HG hair color. Preference, Garnier, Clairol.. none of them match up to Naturcolor. Finally, I can say it and actually mean it: THIS is my HG hair color! I have very long, thick, porous, very damaged sandy blonde hair that's been over-dyed, over-straightened, etc. I like my hair darker in the summer when I get tanner, but Garnier's darker colors used to turn my ends green.. YES, dark green (tells you how damaged my hair is). Let me tell you, that looks wonderful under very bright lights. I finally decided to try this last year after all the rave reviews. I first purchased 6D (goldenrod blonde) thinking it would turn out darker than the sample they had. It turned out great, but looked too similiar to the hair color I had already. A color that actually turns out looking exactly like it's supposed to? I knew right then, this was different. Yesterday I ventured to Whole Foods and bought 5D (light clove chestnut). Even with my long thick hair, it only takes one box of dye to cover all of it. I am in love. It turned out perfectly and looked exactly like the sample.. again! No green ends, just shiny golden-medium chestnut brown hair. I think I'll stick with the golden colors, they're just gorgeous. Its not very often I dye my hair myself and don't end up on the verge of tears after. It's alllllll smiles and compliments with Naturcolor. I'll gladly keep forking over 15 bucks for this wonderful product. I mean, its a lot better than paying 6 dollars for drugstore hair dye and then having to fix the disaster at your salon for 50 more bucks anyway, right? Right =)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by kerbery

I chose Naturcolor from the reviews here and I am happy with the results. My main purpose in coloring my hair was to cover gray which I would guess is at about 1% of my hair at this time. I used 5n Light burdock for my medium brown hair. I left it on for 45 minutes and used slightly over half the bottle for my almost shoulder length somewhat fine hair. The color is a good match for my natural color. I had hesitated on dying my hair for a long time because my hair is very shiny and healthy and I did not want to ruin this for the sake of covering the gray, but the shine is still there so no complaints. The only negative is that a few stray grays near the temple are uncovered. I also did not like the smell of the product but I think that this is an inherent part of all hair dyes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2008 6:05:00 PM More reviews by kmoth

I've been coloring my hair nearly every shade for the past 11 years and this is definitely the best haircolor I've used. After getting sick of my henna red hair, I used Loreal to color over it with a medium brown. (Yes, you can use hairdye over hennaed hair, as long as the henna is body art quality.) The color faded in 2 weeks and left my hair very damaged. I had to get at least 2 or 3 inches cut off, which I really didn't want to do. Then, I read about Naturcolor on here and thought I'd give it a try. I used 4N Burdock. The color lasted much longer than any other haircolor I tried - I only decided to touch it up after 8 weeks, even though there was still color left. When I recolored, I decided to go a half shade darker and mixed 1/2 3N and 1/2 4N. I liked the results on me ever better the second time. It left my hair very shiny and not damaged at all. I'm not sure why everyone says the results are so much darker than they expect - they came out exactly as I expected. 4N was a rich medium to dark brown. 3N added a hint of black to the color.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2008 1:21:00 PM More reviews by gina2328

I picked 3N Cola because they had a color chart at Whole Foods and that looked like it matched my ends or current hair color. I left it on 40 minutes, starting with the roots as directed, maybe a bit longer. Anyway, I was disappointed when I washed it off to see that some of my grey hairs had not covered completely, just a few were still not covered, and my hair was much darker than the chart color, like piitch black. I did not like the 3N at all, I wanted a nice dark brown, not Elvira black. God forbid I had chosen 2N.

It also faded at the roots 2 weeks later so it does not cover grey hair well, do not plan to repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by sccmoore

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really love this haircolor for several reasons. It leaves my hair feeling like I didn't even color, the color 9N is a beautiful shade, and it doesn't have an unpleasant smell. But unfortunately, after several uses, it just doesn't cover the grays for longer than a week or so. This haircolor would be great for someone who doesn't have any grays. I'm trying Satin next.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2008 2:28:00 PM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I began going prematurely gray at 20 years of age. I have dark skin and very dark brown hair. I am 41 years old now and I've been using Clairol Complements Demi Permanent hair color for the past 15 years. I have had problems with allergies, eczema, and contact dermatitis since I was a teenager. A few years ago, my father (also prematurely gray at a young age) developed an allergy to PPD, the highly allergenic hair dye ingredient that gives hair a rich dark color. Ever since, I have lived in fear of developing this allergy. I've intentionally used the deposit-only demi permanent dyes because I'm afraid that permanent dyes are too harsh and use more PPD. For the past two years, I've noticed that my scalp burns when I use the Clairol Complements but the burning stops once I've rinsed out the product. I haven't gotten any rashes, but I thought it better to be proactive and did extensive research online to find "gentler, alternative" permanent hair color products.

After reading the glowing reviews here, I decided to try Naturcolor. I bought the 4N, Burdock (mentioned by another reviewer) at a local Whole Foods store. I made several calls to the Naturcolor 800 number before I actually used the product. All of the customer support reps I spoke to were polite and helpful and very positive about Naturcolor, and all told me that Naturcolor has 1/10th of 1% of PPD. However, when I asked each of them if they had actually used the product on themselves, none of them had. I found that rather disappointing...I would have been more impressed if they had actually used the product themselves and were providing guidance based on their own experiences.

Nevertheless, I tried the Naturcolor hair dye first by mixing a small amount and applying it to my hairline. (I find that testing a small section of my hairline is a better test than patch testing on the inside of my elbow.) I waited the full 45 minutes recommended. I agree with other reviewers that the product does have a pleasant smell. I did notice that my scalp burned a bit but not more than it does when I use the Clairol Complements. A few hours after washing the Naturcolor product out of my hair, I noticed a mild itching around my hairline. However, since it seemed to be fairly mild and I saw no rash, I wasn't concerned.

Three weeks later, I mixed a second batch of Naturcolor and cover my entire scalp at the roots and waited the full 45 minutes. Again my scalp burned and I found it extremely annoying that I had to keep the product on so long. Clairol Complements only has a 15 minute development time.

The problems really began after I washed out the Naturcolor. Within a couple of hours, my scalp was itching uncontrollably and I had a rash all over my scalp and hairline. This lasted for several days and I resorted to applying a steriod ointment to my scalp twice a day. It was a messy, painful process! I've since researched the "all natural" ingredients in Naturcolor and now know that some of the ingredients like burdock and lavender oil are highly allergenic for suspectible folks.

After waiting several weeks for my scalp to recover, I finally built up the courage to try the Clairol Complements again. I was terrified that I had developed an allergy to PPD and that I would have to resort to henna. As luck would have it, I did not react to the Clairol product even though it does burn my scalp a bit when I have the product in my hair.

There was something in the Naturcolor ingredient list outside of the PPD that caused my allergic reaction. I strongly suspect that it was the lavender oil.

While I don't think that Naturcolor is a bad product for those who can tolerate it--I was happy with the color coverage I got--I caution anyone who sees it as a perfect "natural" alternative to traditional hairdyes. Sometimes the latter can be more gentle than the seemingly all natural products.

I've happily returned to my old Clairol line. It will be a long time before I venture out again...

13 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No