Annick Goutal Ce Soir Ou Jamais

3.7

on 2/3/2006 8:33:00 PM

I love the name. I love the idea. I love the first few minutes of what is a pleasant, light rose scent. Then......jam. It turns inexorably into rose/strawberry jam, sweet and cloying. I think of CSoJ as 'Ce Soir ou Jammy', so pronounced is this disappointing effect on me (other rose frags do the same, so it's a chemistry thing, I suspect). On others, I think this would be a delightful summery scent. Alas.

on 2/3/2006 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Another one I reviewed as snakeskin, but my opinion changed enough to warrant another review, since I can't edit the previous one. On my second attempt at Ce Soir ou Jamais, the sour wine/ashtray accord was absent, and the soapiness was within acceptable levels. I do agree with many reviewers that this is not a glass-smashing, ultimatum-giving rose, but a fresh, cheerful pink rose.

Like Northender, my nose detects wine and roses. I love it!
I would wear it in the evening, perhaps to a romantic dinner.

on 10/25/2005 4:14:00 PM

This one was extremely heavy & heady on me. I really can't describe it now since I tried it long ago and didn't want to try it again. It was an 'old', musty, almost dirty scent on me. Not alluring at all. NOTES: Turkish Rose, Jasmine, Ambrette Seed.

on 9/28/2005 1:02:00 PM

Mmmm. This smells like rose attar and honey. I know it's not listed in the notes and no one else has mentioned it, but I get a *lot* of honey from this.

on 9/20/2005 8:11:00 PM

Non merci!, not tonight or any other night - JAMAIS. Le yuk

on 9/2/2005 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This stuff smells like wine and roses. Magnificient on hot day. I'm not crazy about the bottle, which looks a little old-lady.

on 7/24/2005 11:56:00 AM

A nice pink rosebush sent with a weird winey-animalic base note. Not for me since I'm not a rose fan, unfortunately. And for the price, I think I've found better rose scents (try Les Parfums de Rosine). Average. Some notes: rose, jasmine, ambrette. EDIT: This is better than just your average rose scent, and in fact it rivals anything in the Rosines collection. It's lovely and sparkling, not old or musty in any way. I like it!

In spite of the all-or-nothing ultimatum this perfume's name asserts, the declaration made here is not that of a high-heeled demand, one that would think naught of throwing a crystal glass at a wall, shattering with a shriek and icy shards. Instead, Ce Soir is a cool, green-toned rose that mercifully avoids the brimming nosegay nostalgia that is the ruination of so many other rose scents, that lace handkerchief-and-blush reference that is apparently meant to convey wistful femininity. Ce Soir remains aloof from these mistakes, sunning itself in close proximity to a leftover glass of decent Merlot into which the heat of the day has wilted so that the vapors of the alcohol blow warmth and a slight indecency over the pattern. Underneath, a sly fox hides amidst the bramble, unfazed by the presence of a few thorns.
Do not tarry with the EdT; the EdP is the only formulation worth pursuing here.

on 6/2/2005 2:31:00 PM

Wearing Ce Soir in EDP for the first time has had me in a sensuous swoon of dark,luscious rosiness all day,inducing deeply feminine feelings. I may even have tossed my hair at one point. If I start stroking the side of my neck all is lost.

Popular Fragrances