NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl

4.6

c12 13 Alkyl Ethylhexanoate, Candelilla Cera (Euphorbia Cerifera Wax), Polyethylene, Cyclomethicone, Phenyltrimethicone, Silica, Dimethicone, Sucrose Acetate Isobutyate, Hydrogenated Coco Glycerides, Di Calcium Phosphate, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Aroma (Flavor), Lecithin, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Citric Acid, May Contain ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Yellow 6 Lake (CI 15985), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 30 (CI 73360), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005), Red 6, Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Carmine (CI 75470), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 6/11/2012 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I love this lip pencil because although it is a matte finish, it is not at all drying and therefore comfortable to wear. However, it is better to use a balm as well to better preserve moisture and wear time. Speaking of which, it lasted and lasted and had very low transferability. It wouldn't budge except during meals.

The only downside is the packaging. The lid won't stay on the pencil very well, and the fact that the pencil requires sharpening means that an already small product will have to be partially wasted.

I loved the brightness of this color. Dragon Girl is a vibrant pink-red on my lips, which is a nice pop. I find it absolutely gorgeous!

on 6/2/2012 12:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Can we talk about LOVE? I really, truely, love this lip pencil. First, it is the perfect orangey red shade for my NC30 (sometimes 40) skin tone. And although it's a matte, it isn't overly drying. I also love that since its a chubby stick it doubles as a lipstick and liner so quick and easy, especially for travel or a night out...cuts down on product. I have literally 50 tubes of red lipstick and this....this is my favorite. Sometimes I will add a clear gloss over top for more of a pin-up look but I don't ever DARE to mess with the color by adding a tinted gloss. IMO, this shade looks better on cool or yellow skintones. If you're more a warm or pink, please check out Cruella. Another beautiful shade but much more flattering on warm skin :)

on 3/17/2012 12:16:00 PM

I really like the matte finish, I think it's much more flattering on younger people. The colour is also great on my yellow-toned fair skin. I also find pencils easier to apply than normal lipstick sticks. It's super expensive (17.50) here in England so I don't think I'd buy it again before trying out other reds, but this time round it was a gift so it's not too bad.

on 2/23/2012 5:28:00 AM

I'm in LOVE with this lippie. I have MAC's Russian Red and Ruby Woo but I think dragon girl has a pinkier tint to it. Its much brighter than ruby woo but doesnt have as strong as a blue base as russian red. Its kind of in between but when I wear this I cant stop looking in the mirror. Its great to put on when you dont want to wear too much makeup or do much to your eyes as this really gives you a "polished" look. I think this pencil is a little pricey but in terms of pigmentation and wear, its a great quality. So far I have had no issues with bleeding. A must have if you love statement lips!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

So in love with this product!

It is described as a "vivid siren red" and i have to say it is quite accurate.

It is a bright blue based true red. At first I tried it on my hand and it turned a bit fuschia, but on my lips, WOW. I feel like a 40's siren!

It is matte and a bit drying, but i personally only use matte lipsticks so this one is the best for me.

Dragon Girl and Cruella are my favorites and i will keep buying them despite the steep price.

Bought this one as I have it in belle de jour and love the feel. Thus is the mist feminine red I've ever worn and lasted all through a ball and dinner party.
One of my all time fave reds. Blue shades ensure no orange at all which makes teeth look brighter and compliments a multitude of complexions

on 12/20/2011 1:16:00 PM

As I mention in my other review for a different Velvet Matte lip color (see the color "Damned"), I love these pencils overall. The formulation, the holding power, the matte look etc. The only thing I'll therefore add regarding this color is...it's a nice red color without being too 'in your face' or high maintenance looking, as say a more traditional red lipstick would be. The matteness of this pencil makes this red look less 'haute couture', which is fine with me! It's perfect if you are going for that sort of 'Mad Men' makeup look.

I love this color for a bold red in the summer time.Its a bright red that is not for the shy ladies out there. Im a NW20 and have a freind that is a NC40 and this color gives up both the same color pay off and effect. It gives smooth rich color and wears gracefully. On my the color needs to be touched up every 5 hours without eating or drinking. I will saythat this can be a pain to sharpen. I have used this on several different sharpeners and have lost product everytime. You would think for how pricey it is the packaging would be better. But as for the product itself.... Wonderful!

on 10/24/2011 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Beautiful, beautiful. It really does have a velvet-soft texture, and applies like a dream. The color is a classic, blue-based red. I like to put it on lips after a small touch of balm.

on 10/23/2011 9:57:00 PM

Plain and simply just LOVE Nars Lip pencils in Roman Holiday and Dragon Girl especially. Truly pops on my skin like nobodys business and being so matte it never bleeds so no fuss as some red lipsticks can be! :)

Top Rated NARS Products