October 21, 2014 | 2102 users online

Mascara - Almay - Almay intense i-color brown topaz

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2006 7:55:00 AM More reviews by lanvin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has to be one of the worst mascaras I have ever tried! My eyes are blue- green and I have been looking for a bronzey-brown mascara to play up the blue a little more. While the color is ok, the brush and the mascara are awful. The bristles on the brush are spread so far apart that the mascara is clumpy and goes on unevenly. In fact, 1 coat is a joke because I had to layer the mascara on several times to get an even application. By the time I did achieve an "even" application, my lashes were clumped together. The only good thing I can say is that it was easy to remove!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2005 1:08:00 AM More reviews by lnajaar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was intrigued by the description of this color, so I had to try it. It's similar to a Black-Brown, which I usually wear, but a tad warmer. While I did like the difference in color, I didn't like the mascara. I had to put on several coats to see much effect and it had NO lengthing effect whatsoever. I'm not sure if I've ever used a mascara before that did so little for length! I returned it, and will go back to my L'Oreal Lash Out. All this has done is made me consider trying a Brown-colored mascara for a change.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2005 12:37:00 AM More reviews by onion5

Usually I use black mascara but I was taken in by the hype of "bringing out the brown" in my eyes. Just for the record, I might be a lunatic for thinking/saying this but I had no-touch laser eye surgery and my eyes went from being a yellow-hazel brown to being fully dark brown. I don't know the reason for this but many friends have actually noticed this without me bringing it up. I don't know if the ever so slight reduction of my cornea caused a different distribution of light or what, but anyways...I like my new brown better than my old "yellow" eyes. The brown of this mascara is very dark, and maybe even slightly metallic but it's hard to tell for sure. I don't think it does anything amazing for my eye colour but I do like the texture of the mascara and I find it had a really natural, slightly thickening effect. I will definitely repurchase for when I just don't want to wear the same old black mascara. Plus, Almay doesn't test on animals :-) **** Edited 112605 **** This is my HG for brown mascaras. I love this! LOVE! It is a great true brown shade and somehow managed to "fan" and "curl" my stick-sraight lashes all by itself, no tools required. Makes my eyes look huge! <3 <3 <3

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2005 9:55:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

Hm...perhaps I got an old or bad tube? I found this mascara to be rather sticky/waxy, clumpy and prone to smearing and flaking. The color was not the nice medium brown I had imagined. It looked like any old dark brown or brownish-black mascara. It took me awhile to figure out how to use this. First coat was very clumpy and looked bad (the formula is very similar to their One Coat Thickening mascara IMO). Whipped out the trusty metal lash comb and spent a very long time trying to separate lashes. The second coat (necessary, as was a third, in order to get a decent amount of length and volume) went on looking not quite as bad but still not great. I girded my loins and continued to battle with the mascara for about 10 minutes. Finally figured out that one has to clump on layer after layer without waiting for each coat to dry, then comb lashes. Achieved a decent-enough curl with my heated lash curler, but the heaviness of the formula makes me think that this mascara would weigh down naturally non-curly lashes. End result was a fair amount of length and thickness--rather pretty and natural-looking, though my lashes were still not as separated as I usually prefer them to be. My (dark) eyes did not look any browner. Overall a slightly below-average mascara (spent almost 20 minutes doing lashes--mascara should not be this much work!) I honestly think this whole i-color concept is pure marketing gimmick. The idea is good but the execution is poor. Would not repurchase.

ETA: This works better for me when I add a few eye drops to the tube and smoosh it around before using. It seems to apply more smoothly that way. I get a very nice, enhanced look that's not over-the-top, but it's still more work than with Maybelline's Full 'n' Soft so I still won't repurchase. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2005 10:28:00 AM More reviews by Mouray

WOW! Just purchased this three days ago and so far can't wait to use is it everyday. The packaging mentions that this shade will bring out the color in your eyes ... low and behold that's just what it does. My eyes are hazel so black or brownish black mascara usually looks too heavy on me, but what this does when applied is actually capture the browns in the eye and the end result is amazing. Pricing is perfect I paid only $4.99 I think? I'm sure many of you will agree with me when I say it's sometimes impossible to find a good mascara wand that really extends the lashes? Well, this is the miracle grow of all wands despite all the hype on fabulash and what have you!!! It really does take lashes to new heights. I have one of those mascaras with the primer on one end so what I do now is use the primer before using Almay intense and my lashes explode .... Love it! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2005 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Twister17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lovely dark brown colour that made my eyes look very noticeable. My lashes were fairly long and full and it doesn't clump or smear. The shiny silver tube it comes in is nice and the mascara works well alone or with the matching eye shadow and liner.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2005 10:50:00 PM More reviews by LazyDaisyDaze

Surprise surprise...something without hype and a high price, and yet it's still a great little product!
It really softens the whole mascara effect. I have never liked black mascara since I think it looks too harsh, so I always use brown-black...but this softens it even more while still giving a good amount of length to the lashes. REALLY!!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2005 12:19:00 AM More reviews by cuteboringlove

I like this stuff but since it's mainly all about the color, I expect it to be noticeable and I feel like it should be alot more brown than it is. It appears black to me but maybe if I wore it alone, I would see more of the brown in it or maybe out in the light it looks brown. I'm not sure, but it is a very decent mascara...not much for curling or thickening but I think it adds some length and I haven't had any trouble with it (clumping, smudging, ect). So unless you're looking for some extremely brown mascara, this stuff is worth a try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2005 1:57:00 AM More reviews by shinejunkiemonkee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my first non-black or clear mascara. It's a dark brown, but not really brown-black. It's a bit bronzey. It applies nicely and stays put. It offers a bit of definition and makes my eyes look really natural, which surprises me. I have very dark hair and lashes naturally (this shade is lighter than my natural lash color), but the effect is very soft and pretty. This mascara is a good value, especially if you can get it in the Bring Out the Brown three-piece set.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2005 9:44:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

This is a great color, a dark brown which is intense but still softer than black or brown-black. I'm wearing it in August and it looks wonderful with my tan. The mascara itself is fine, too, it doesn't clump or smear. While I usually prefer a more volumizing mascara, this is fine.